Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

briany wrote: »
    They're another band who are at a point where they could very comfortably live off the royalties that their music generates and not need to do anything, so the bank balance isn't a concern.

Kirk has been quoted as feeling somewhat differently on the matter. Apparently big tours are a vital part of keeping him in the lifestyle he has become accustomed to.

It maybe different for James and Lars as the chief songwriters from the band's most commercially successful period.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Let's be honest - most of what the likes of Vai and Gilbert put out is wanky pretentious faff. It's the culmination of rock taking itself far too seriously. They put the time and dedication in to become that good and then write a lot of boring music (to listen to) as far as I can tell.

I love the way people brush off that music like it's nothing. Try doing it and get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

iomega wrote: »
    I love the way people brush off that music like it's nothing. Try doing it and get back to me.

His entire point was that just because it's difficult and technical doesn't make it good though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Doesn't automatically make it bad either. he seems to be assuming it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

that's because we had a booming economy.....fact

We weren't exactly booming in 09 the last time they played Dublin more like entering austerity,they sold out 2 nights in Belfast in 10.

Booming economy or not gigs are announced months in advance even sooner now it appears, did any gig the summer in Marlay sell out? I don't think so, so thats not a problem either, I'd be very surprised given there absence for 5/6 years they couldn't draw a crowd of around 25,000.
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I would seriously consider going abroad to see Metallica if they didn't come to Ireland.

I'd say go for it if you've never seen them, I'd imagine I'd enjoy them immensely if I never had done before. I'd say they are mainly doing festivals so perhaps an indoor venue mightn't be an option at least at a festival if they don't live up there'd be surely plenty of other bands to fall back on.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm a huge Metallica fan and have seen them around 30 times all over Europe but now i wouldn't travel anywhere to see them, hate to say it but they're beginning to bore me.

Ya me too nowhere near close to 30 times though that's some goin', I think its sort of their routine now lack of something, Last time I saw them live was actually that Black Album tour at Donnigton in 2012.

Despite the lesser played tracks from said album Hell and Back off the Beyond Magnetic thing was one of the songs I enjoyed the most says it all....then of course Metallica Fammmmilllaaah happened prob the most miserable Enter Sandman I've witnessed when Seek & Destroy was into its 3rd min I headed up the hill and made for the exit.

Not boring necessarily a first timer would have been thrilled twas more me goin on better shows of theirs I attended not fussed maybe would be more accurate. They are still a solid outfit after all.

I prob wouldn't travel abroad either unless they landed at a festival I was doing for other reasons but I'd go if they came to Ireland/N.I most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

His entire point was that just because it's difficult and technical doesn't make it good though :confused:

Yes. People like Vai, Gilbert and Satch are amazing technicians but it's like the culmination of the rock guitarist pissing contest that began in the sixties. You can have all the technique in the world, but it seems like a lot of those guys sacrifice everything at that alter, including a sense of musical taste and the ability to write good songs and are therefore confined to mainly instrumental albums, or doing, as Zappa referred to Vai's role, 'Stunt guitar'.

It's like they're all trying to be the 'Mozart' of the rock world with instrumental concept albums, and taking rock guitar to new places, but rock's really not about that. It's not supposed to be that serious. If you wanna hear guitar music that combines amazing technique with great musical expression, there's a wealth of classical, flamenco and west African music out there that shows a lot more vigour, subtlety, imagination and musicality than all those guys previously mentioned.

Kirk has been quoted as feeling somewhat differently on the matter. Apparently big tours are a vital part of keeping him in the lifestyle he has become accustomed to.

It maybe different for James and Lars as the chief songwriters from the band's most commercially successful period.

The lifestyle Kirk has become accustomed to includes a collection of houses, a huge valuable horror/guitar collection, probably a number of staff who serve him etc. He could downgrade his lifestyle by one or two orders of magnitude and still be described as living very comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kinda hoping Metallica go the thrashy bluesier direction for the next album, incorporating the thrash sound that made them huge, and mix it with the bluesy rock feel of the Load/ReLoad albums.

Kinda hoping Metallica go the thrashy bluesier direction for the next album, incorporating the thrash sound that made them huge, and mix it with the bluesy rock feel of the Load/ReLoad albums.

Every indication so far tells us we'll be getting a record very similar in tone to Death Magnetic. I'm starting to feel alone in thinking it's bad that we could be seeing the band move so little, creatively, in such a long space of time.

Every indication so far tells us we'll be getting a record very similar in tone to Death Magnetic. I'm starting to feel alone in thinking it's bad that we could be seeing the band move so little, creatively, in such a long space of time.

Well if the next album or even Lords Of Summer is similar to Death Magnetic that works just as fine for me, Death Magnetic was a return of sorts to the thrash sound.... I think maybe the band are stalling on the new album, then again after 33 years they are entitled to take as long as they like. Also it's weird that Rob has only contributed on 14 songs since he joined the band 11 years ago.

• Advertisement

Sooooo .....who thinks we'll still be speculating on what the next Metallica album will sound like come this time next year?:pac:

then again after 33 years they are entitled to take as long as they like.

Not being smart here, but I'm not sure time is really on their side anymore. They're at an age where it can all go south very quickly. James' voice and Lars' ability to play at the required speed (no jokes, please!), are very much at the mercy of father time.

Not being smart here, but I'm not sure time is really on their side anymore. They're at an age where it can all go south very quickly. James' voice and Lars' ability to play at the required speed (no jokes, please!), are very much at the mercy of father time.

I think they're aware of that, but I don't think their focus is one recording music, as it once might have been. I think their focus is now more on playing live and taking their show to as many locations as possible, given the amount of touring they've been doing since DM dropped. They'd rather play as many shows as they can before they retire than record as much music as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think they're aware of that, but I don't think their focus is one recording music, as it once might have been. I think their focus is now more on playing live and taking their show to as many locations as possible, given the amount of touring they've been doing since DM dropped. They'd rather play as many shows as they can before they retire than record as much music as they can.

The main reason why what you say is probably right is $$$$.

If there was still money to be made in recording and touring was the method used to promote albums as it was in the 80' and 90's, you can be guaranteed that we wouldn't be waiting 8 years between Metallica releases. They aren't touring because they love playing concerts, they're touring because it's more lucrative than recording albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Despite everything that they have achieved I'd say there's a huge amount of fear in the band about creating a new album as they must know it will probably be their last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Farting Turkeys

The lifestyle Kirk has become accustomed to includes a collection of houses, a huge valuable horror/guitar collection, probably a number of staff who serve him etc. He could downgrade his lifestyle by one or two orders of magnitude and still be described as living very comfortably.

Correct, he moans about his ranch costing $40,000 per month to run, where as James is very private and only has close friends and security personnel from early metallica years.

The main reason why what you say is probably right is $$$$.

If there was still money to be made in recording and touring was the method used to promote albums as it was in the 80' and 90's, you can be guaranteed that we wouldn't be waiting 8 years between Metallica releases. They aren't touring because they love playing concerts, they're touring because it's more lucrative than recording albums.

"James! Should we record a new album?"

(James wearing accountant visor, punching some numbers into a ticker-tape calculator) "No, Lars. No we shouldn't. We should announce another tour of south America!"

Maybe I'm just not cynical enough, but I don't think Metallica thinks this way. Maybe their management does, though. If Metallica were like that, I don't think they would have wasted their time doing Lulu, or even St. Anger for that matter, both of which they had to know were never going to be platinum albums. But Metallica are one of the dwindling number of bands for whom releasing an album is still going to be at least a decent money spinner through sales and airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

"James! Should we record a new album?"

(James wearing accountant visor, punching some numbers into a ticker-tape calculator) "No, Lars. No we shouldn't. We should announce another tour of south America!"

Maybe I'm just not cynical enough, but I don't think Metallica thinks this way. Maybe their management does, though. If Metallica were like that, I don't think they would have wasted their time doing Lulu, or even St. Anger for that matter, both of which they had to know were never going to be platinum albums. But Metallica are one of the dwindling number of bands for whom releasing an album is still going to be at least a decent money spinner through sales and airplay.

St Anger went double platinum

Degag wrote: »

*snigger*

They must have bought the majority themselves.

St. Anger did alright going double platinum, despite it being one of the most hated Metallica albums.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »

Fair cop. For some reason I was thinking platinum status was more than one million records.

Just gonna leave this here.

I disagree with this.

"Metallica wouldn’t have been the same nor gotten to the top of the game if the bus had indeed fallen on him."

I disagree with this.

"Metallica wouldn’t have been the same nor gotten to the top of the game if the bus had indeed fallen on him."

Well, Lars was the business mind of Metallica. James never seemed to want to know about the business side. So, what could have happened without Lars was that the band would have been the mercy of their management in terms of guiding their career, or there would have been no 'grease' between the managers who had dollar signs in their eyes and the somewhat taciturn, ever stubborn Hetfield. You see bands who get made or broken on a couple of bad business decisions or get taken for a ride by a shady agent. I think a lot of Metallica's success is owed to the symbiosis of James with integrity and the songs plus Lars with the mouth and the bottle.

Lars is and always be the business mind in Metallica.

Lars is and always be the business mind in Metallica.

I agree he has a business mind. But it was Peter Mench that pushed them towards Bob Rock and he carved their "new" sound which after the black album frenzy, they chose to keep the slower tempo guided by Bob Rock. So I don't think their career would have changed that much if Lars wasn't there and Lombardo took the reigns at that time. Their management basically told them what to do a after Bob came on the scene. Probably because they made a balls of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We weren't exactly booming in 09 the last time they played Dublin more like entering austerity,they sold out 2 nights in Belfast in 10.

Booming economy or not gigs are announced months in advance even sooner now it appears, did any gig the summer in Marlay sell out? I don't think so, so thats not a problem either, I'd be very surprised given there absence for 5/6 years they couldn't draw a crowd of around 25,000.

I'd say go for it if you've never seen them, I'd imagine I'd enjoy them immensely if I never had done before. I'd say they are mainly doing festivals so perhaps an indoor venue mightn't be an option at least at a festival if they don't live up there'd be surely plenty of other bands to fall back on.

Ya me too nowhere near close to 30 times though that's some goin', I think its sort of their routine now lack of something, Last time I saw them live was actually that Black Album tour at Donnigton in 2012.

Despite the lesser played tracks from said album Hell and Back off the Beyond Magnetic thing was one of the songs I enjoyed the most says it all....then of course Metallica Fammmmilllaaah happened prob the most miserable Enter Sandman I've witnessed when Seek & Destroy was into its 3rd min I headed up the hill and made for the exit.

Not boring necessarily a first timer would have been thrilled twas more me goin on better shows of theirs I attended not fussed maybe would be more accurate. They are still a solid outfit after all.

I prob wouldn't travel abroad either unless they landed at a festival I was doing for other reasons but I'd go if they came to Ireland/N.I most likely
    That last Irish show was an executive decision made by qprime to rip a few more euros before the Euro collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

St. Anger did alright going double platinum, despite it being one of the most hated Metallica albums.

It was a highly anticipated album

It was a highly anticipated album

Still looks to be the least selling of all original Metallica studio albums, though, although there's not a lot between it and Death Magnetic. Death Magnetic came in a very different landscape for musical distribution, however.

• Advertisement

Metallica's Blizzcon 2014 set

1. The Ecstasy of Gold
    2. Hit the Lights
    3. Master of Puppets
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. Harvester of Sorrow (Followed by Kirk solo)
    6. Fade to Black
    7. Fuel
    8. Cyanide
    9. Sad But True
    10. One
    11. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    12. Creeping Death
    13. Enter Sandman
    14. Battery (preceded by The Frayed Ends of Sanity jam)
    15. Seek & Destroy (w/ The Frayed Ends of Sanity outro jam)

Advertisement