Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I remember reading an article where Rasmussen said that he wasn't impressed with the final mix and didn't think much of the studio where it was recorded. In particular he hated the recording console (which would be favoured by Bob Rock during the Black album sessions) as well. He thought it sounded sterile and cold. Apparently the album was mixed down to digital tape, which considering the quality of 80's digital technology, may account as well for the album's cold sound.

Also, and this is quite telling, he went on to say that no one else from the band was present when Jason was recording his bass parts.James and Lars were working on a night schedule and along with Fleming would leave come the morning. Jason would then arrive to find himself working on his own with an assistant engineer!....How fvcking dysfunctional was (is?) this band?

Think off it this way, assuming James & Lars did that to Jason either as part of his initiation into Metallica, or they were still grieving/getting used to the fact that Cliff wasn't around anymore, i'm sure we'll find out eventually when Metallica call it quits and one of them release an autobiography, in fact i'm confident that it'll be Lars who releases a book first. James & Kirk are kinda the quiet types, whereas Lars, well plain and simple Lars is a motormouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    James & Kirk are kinda the quiet types, whereas Lars, well plain and simple Lars is a motormouth.

"My Nutty Focking Life" by Lars Ulrich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

lord lucan wrote: »
    Seems they're going to remaster KEA & RTL according to the news story on Metallica.com. I'm a bit surprised at that as i figured they would wait until they call it a day before going down that road. I'll reserve judgement until i hear it,at least it sounds like it won't just be a straight up remaster of the album but will include a lot of extras too.

http://www.metallica.com/news/kill-ride-snapshots.asp

Do you reckon they'll pay anything if your item is used or do they see the 'prestige' as sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Do you reckon they'll pay anything if your item is used or do they see the 'prestige' as sufficient?

I would doubt it,just a credit in the liner notes I reckon. They've had people send In bootlegs that they've cleaned up and put up for free on livemetallica.com and not paid anything.

A friend asked me this about a week ago, would i prefer a 32 song (Similar to how Load & Reload were released, but a year apart) double album from Metallica or a 10/12 song album. Still haven't figured out my response.... So i'll throw it out here for discussion

Who would be in favor of a double album? Or should Metallica just stick to a regular 10/12 song album & an E.P release a few years after the album.

I would argue that bite size releases are the way forward for Metallica since they're a band that seems phobic of the album process these days. If you take it that Metallica's album cycle is trending ever upward in length, and that the band is on the tail end of it's career, it's possible that this forthcoming release will be the last full release Metallica ever put out. However, they could throw out a 4 song EP once every couple of years or so and fit the little mini recording sessions around tours. It would allow for more creativity because there wouldn't be as much a feeling of jeopardy from going off on a tangent with one EP, since the cycle would be much shorter. It would also allow them to focus more on the songs, having fewer to deal with at a time, maybe even getting away from the apparent 'riff collage' approach they've been favoring recently.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Is James still on the wagon? I only ask because he looks a little worse for wear lately.

Probably just age catching up with him. He is in his 50's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if you're at nothing there....stick on "to live is to die" and crank it.....gets better every time....

In London on Monday night, Michael Eavis was the recipient of the 23rd Music Industry Trusts Award, given every year to honour a leading figure in the UK music industry. Lars presented the award in person.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/04/read-lars-ulrich-metallica-tribute-eavis-glastonbury

• Advertisement

EUROPEAN SUMMER TOUR

May, 29-31: Nürburg, Germany at Der Ring - Grüne Hölle Rock
    Munich, Germany at Rockavaria Festival June, 4-6
    Vienna, Austria at Rock in Vienna

Stay tuned... we will definitely be back before the holidays with a few additions to our annual trek!

http://www.metallica.com/news/20141104-502555.asp

The question is now, will they come to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Surly time they play Dublin again, they didn't play since 2009 (Belfast In 2010)

Probly be Marley park again but would not rule out the possibility of the RDS. The aviva would be cool

Wonder is there a reason irish promoters won't bring back Metallica???

So no album until 2016 then?

Knowing the speed they work out, probably no chance they'll have it finished before this tour.

So no album until 2016 then?

Knowing the speed they work out, probably no chance they'll have it finished before this tour.

It's looking like a possibility, 7 months to go yet, the new album COULD BE released around March but i highly doubt it.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Probly be Marley park again but would not rule out the possibility of the RDS. The aviva would be cool

I'm not sure Metallica are a big enough draw in this country any more to justify any of those venues. Certainly not the aviva.

It's the Point (or whatever the fvck they're calling it this year) or nothing at all I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm not sure Metallica are a big enough draw in this country any more to justify any of those venues. Certainly not the aviva.

It's the Point (or whatever the fvck they're calling it this year) or nothing at all I reckon.

Definitely quite capable of doing well in those venues except the Aviva.

Given they used to tour here practically every second summer but now havent done so in 5 years by the time this tour comes around and all the publicity of their Glastonbury appearance.

A show in the Point would be deadly I imagine but would sell rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Excerpts from Scott Ian's Bio - Mustaine

They were all drinking buddies and they did stupid s–t. But Dave was a little stupider. And when he was really drunk, he could be a total a–hole. Late at night he would dump piles of trash in front of other bands’ rehearsal room doors, so when they’d show up the next day their whole front door would be covered with a mountain of garbage. And they’d know which band did it because Metallica were the only ones sleeping there. So all these musicians would knock on Metallica’s door, wanting to beat them up.

Ian goes on to describe Mustaine’s ousting from his own perspective:

I was with them on April 9, 1983, when they were playing L’Amour with Vandenberg and the Rods. Vandenberg were onstage in the middle of the afternoon sound checking, and Mustaine was already hammered. He was in the middle of the floor of the venue, and as soon as they ended a song he started screaming at them that they sucked and they should get the f–k off the stage. [Anthrax/Metallica manager] Jonny Z pulled him away. But I didn’t think any of that s–t was enough to get him kicked out of the band. The guy is arguably the godfather of thrash metal. He wrote a lot of the riffs on Kill ’Em All and even some of Ride the Lightning. Without Dave Mustaine, maybe thrash metal never would have happened. At least in the beginning, he was the driving force, artistically.

A day or two later, I woke up, drove to the Music Building saw Cliff standing outside having a smoke. “What’s up?”

“Nothing. What’s going on?” I answered, figuring it was just another day.

“Not much. We fired Dave. He’s on a Greyhound back to San Francisco.”

I laughed because Cliff was always being sarcastic and busting balls.”Yeah, that’s funny,” I said. “Look, I have to go work with my amp. I’m not real happy with the tone. I’ll see you upstairs.”

“I’m totally serious,” he said. “Go upstairs to the room right now and talk to James and Lars.”

I went upstairs, looked around, and didn’t see Dave anywhere. “What’s going on?”

“Didn’t Cliff tell you?” James said.
 “Yeah, but he’s lying, right?”
 “No, we fired Dave this morning,”
 I still figured that was impossible and they were playing a trick on me. “You’re f–king serious?”
 “We’re totally serious,” said Lars. 
I said, “Holy s–t. You have gigs coming up and you’re making an album next month. Does Johnny Z know?”
 “Yeah, we told him a couple days ago,” Lars continued. “We made him promise not to say anything. We didn’t want Dave to find out. We didn’t know what he would do.”

They had the whole operation planned out with the precision of a military air strike. It turned out that L’Amour show with the Rods was Dave’s final straw. They purchased a one-way bus ticket back to LA and waited for a night when Dave got really drunk, which they knew wouldn’t be long. There was a Greyhound station almost next door to the Music Building, they woke him up while he was still mostly incoherent and fired him. He had passed out in his clothes, so they didn’t have to help him get dressed. They just collected his stuff, which they had mostly packed in a bag already, and literally put him on the bus before he understood what was happening. Then they made plans to send him his gear.

I was standing there with my jaw open, speechless, and Cliff walked back in. “See, I told you,” he said.

“Well, what are you going to do about your shows and the record?”

“We have a guy coming in from this San Francisco band, Exodus,” Lars said. “He’s flying in and joining the band. He already knows most of the songs, and he’s learning the leads.”

Obviously, that guy turned out to be Kirk Hammett.

Definitely quite capable of doing well in those venues except the Aviva.

Given they used to tour here practically every second summer but now havent done so in 5 years by the time this tour comes around and all the publicity of their Glastonbury appearance.

A show in the Point would be deadly I imagine but would sell rapid.
    that's because we had a booming economy.....fact

I would seriously consider going abroad to see Metallica if they didn't come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I would seriously consider going abroad to see Metallica if they didn't come to Ireland.

I'm a huge Metallica fan and have seen them around 30 times all over Europe but now i wouldn't travel anywhere to see them, hate to say it but they're beginning to bore me.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm a huge Metallica fan and have seen them around 30 times all over Europe but now i wouldn't travel anywhere to see them, hate to say it but they're beginning to bore me.

Is it the same songs that end the set that bores you or the wait for the new album or are they beginning to bore you in general?

Is it the same songs that end the set that bores you or the wait for the new album or are they beginning to bore you in general?

In an ideal world, bands would tour to promote an album then record another album and tour again. but we all know the reasons why that doesn't happen as much nowadays but unless they have a new album out and are playing songs off that, I wouldn't bother going to see Metallica again.

It's not just same songs over and over again but James' between sing banter has become embarrassing and sounds scripted (probably always was?) and in videos I've seen of recent concerts, they just look like they're going through the motions to pick up the cheque.

The days of touring to promote an album, record a follow up, then hit the road again for x amount of dates has long passed, James doing his shtick between songs is cringey, case in point Download Festival 2012.

The days of touring to promote an album, record a follow up, then hit the road again for x amount of dates has long passed, James doing his shtick between songs is cringey, case in point Download Festival 2012.
    yeah i agree....i'm historically a huge fan, but only a new album live would satisfy me....

by the way i was at the belfast show and it was EPIC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

All of the above, the same set lists, forever ending in S&D, James in between cringeness, waiting for albums, the bollox Lars spouts, the constant trying to sell you crap

James in between cringeness

I'm waiting for the day when James goes, "Y'know a lot people think Metallica only has four members, but actually there are five..." *CUE HOUSE LIGHTS*.

(silence, except for one lad going, 'Ahhh! I bet it's zombie Cliff!')

yeah i agree....i'm historically a huge fan, but only a new album live would satisfy me....

by the way i was at the belfast show and it was EPIC!!!

The wait for the Death Magnetic follow up is slowly heading into it's 8th year, which of the Belfast shows were you at?

At some point you have to realise that hanging out in a studio for up to a year at a time in order to record an album is no longer where these guys are at.

Lives to be led and plenty of money to spend, puncuated by the odd revenue spinning tour just to keep bank balance nice and healthy.

At some point you have to realise that hanging out in a studio for up to a year at a time in order to record an album is no longer where these guys are at.

Lives to be led and plenty of money to spend, puncuated by the odd revenue spinning tour just to keep bank balance nice and healthy.

I definitely think Metallica enjoy playing live more than anything. They're another band who are at a point where they could very comfortably live off the royalties that their music generates and not need to do anything, so the bank balance isn't a concern.

Sometimes people do go a bit overboard with their sense of entitlement in regards to a new album and the associated wait. It'll be out when it's out. It's not like we're really stuck for great records to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

All of the above, the same set lists, forever ending in S&D, James in between cringeness, waiting for albums, the bollox Lars spouts, the constant trying to sell you crap

I'm pretty much the same. Saw them on 9 dates on the world magnetic tour and they were brilliant indoors. Setlists were changed up to a certain degree and DM songs brought in and out of rotation.

Saw them at knebworth in 2011,varied set list,a couple of new songs I'd never heard live(straw and ktulu) and a pretty kick ass performance but James ruined creep in my eyes with his 'how does it feel to be alive' crap before the die die bit.

I went to see them in werchter in 2012,mainly to hear the TBA songs that I'd never heard live. Performance was dialled in,James waffled incessantly between songs and capped it all off with the Metallica family tripe during sandman. It was the first Metallica show I've ever left early. I left as they started one,the usual predictable end to a show beckoned.

I'll admit to being surprised at how much they were going through the motions at werchter,that energy and enthusiasm from the WM tour seemed to have evaporated. I'd go see them again if it's an indoor show but if it's a festival gig then I wouldn't bother.

Advertisement