Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

holy moly quinn roux is a big lad. get him in a bit better shape and id say he'll be great. not many videos of him hitting rucks or making tackles in that video but if hes a good extra carrier and lineout option then he can compliment toner brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

errlloyd wrote: »
    So signing Steven Sykes was a conspiracy?

Best conspiracy ever!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If he's only here for a season I'd be a bit disappointed with the signing. We need an established player, what's the point in developing a player whose not the finished article, or close to it, only for him to leave at the end of the season.

Great move for the kid but I don't get the signing from Leinster's POV if he's definitely signed up for WP/Stormers after the one season in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

roycon wrote: »
    holy moly quinn roux is a big lad. get him in a bit better shape and id say he'll be great. not many videos of him hitting rucks or making tackles in that video but if hes a good extra carrier and lineout option then he can compliment toner brilliantly

Hmmm. Cullen did a lot of work at the breakdown, we'll definitely miss that if Roux isn't that sort of player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Hopefully after the year is up, we will have some home-grown guys ready to make the step-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hagz wrote: »
    Hopefully after the year is up, we will have some home-grown guys ready to make the step-up.

If they're only bringing someone in for a season I would prefer if it was an experienced player, someone who could pass on their knowlrdge to the young guys who will be taking over. Not developing a young NIE player for a year before he heads back.

In saying that if he is only signed for a year I wish him the best of luck and really hope he works out. We need another top 2nd row.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It may only be a 1 year thing at first as a result of the whole Sykes thing. May be a view to longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

So signing Steven Sykes was a conspiracy?

Yes, yes that's exactly what I meant. The big grin was too throw people off and make them think I was joking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

talk about fall from a height!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

talk about fall from a height!

yeah i'd say there's not much rugby left in his body, 2 seasons picking up pay checks in Japan & Europe will see his bank balance swell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Anyone know what team he's signed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Anyone know what team he's signed for?

Kobe Steel apparently

Cool, one of the closer franchises to me.....might see if I can make it down sometime and report on club rugby in Japan! Interested in seeing the crowds, prIces and intensity etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Cool, one of the closer franchises to me.....might see if I can make it down sometime and report on club rugby in Japan! Interested in seeing the crowds, prIces and intensity etc....

Kobe Steel vs Fukuoka Sanix Blues - to Leinster legends will be on show!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does this mean we can have rocky back between February and May as well? Though he'd probably struggle to make the Leinster team unless he rediscovered his old form here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Does this mean we can have rocky back between February and May as well? Though he'd probably struggle to make the Leinster team unless he rediscovered his old form here.

Even if he was in good form, why would we want him? Back row is our strongest position for quality depth and young talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MBolgia

Kobe is the closest club to Kanazawa! I would have thought there was one nearer, or even in Ishikawa. Baseball only I guess.

I don't exactly know the closest major club to Kanazawa, (it's probably higashi Osaka), but there's definitely nothing considerable here that I've found. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

Who will start at tight head at the start of the season???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ross, but I'm REALLY hoping this fella Bent can turn out to be diamond in the rough, for both Leinster and Irelands sake. Hagan will more than likely be 3rd choice.

Looking at the Leinster squad now though, there's very little dead wood there, which is great compared to a few years ago. There's maybe only 5 players who wont have a significant role to play at some point in the season, and 4 of them are young academy lads still looking for their break. (Macken, Cooney, Flanagan & Sexton)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The NZers on PR don't rate Bent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

danthefan wrote: »
    The NZers on PR don't rate Bent at all.

The NZers on PR don't rate anything off the shores of their fair islands. I stopped reading the comments/boards on that site a while ago, some stellar flame stuff.

I've seen him rated by other NZ posters around, and I've seen him play - he looks decent, but only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ross, but I'm REALLY hoping this fella Bent can turn out to be diamond in the rough, for both Leinster and Irelands sake. Hagan will more than likely be 3rd choice.

Looking at the Leinster squad now though, there's very little dead wood there, which is great compared to a few years ago. There's maybe only 5 players who wont have a significant role to play at some point in the season, and 4 of them are young academy lads still looking for their break. (Macken, Cooney, Flanagan & Sexton)

What I was getting at was who would get the nod betwwen Hagen & Bent for the first few games while Ross has a break after the summer tour. I shold have clarified the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ah fair enough, well yeah, in that case I'd imagine it would probably be down to "rotation". I'd say Joe will be giving them both similar game time in order to seperate them later when it comes to picking the bench spot.

RE planet rugby, the trolling that goes on there makes me look tame.

I think the general consensus from what I've read elsewhere has been that Bent always shored up the scrum coming off the bench and was the strongest option at tight head, and there was some reason or another why the coach wouldn't start him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I wouldn't worry too much about what the NZ public say about Bent. They seem to dismiss NH rugby en masse and anyone who heads north without 50 NZ caps is someone who couldn't cut it in NZ. Those who aren't internationals are dismissed as never having been anywhere near good enough when they leave. The likes of Tipoki, Wright and Waldrom would be in this bracket. Those who have a few caps are dismissed as never having been good enough and looking for an easy few quid. The likes of Lauaki, Laulala and Masoe all fall into this category with Nick Evans possibly being the notable exception although I've heard Kiwis dismiss him too. It's all part of the widespread dismissive attitude towards NH rugby.

Oddly enough, it seems the players that are worshipped and are first choice internationals down south that have come here generally make the least impact and turn out to be useless signings. Rocokoco, Hayman, Collins, Jack, Somerville etc. have all been fairly anonymous best and useless at worst for their NH sides.

With all that said, Bent will have to prove himself. I've only managed to see a little bit of him and he seems solid but definitely unspectacular. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make too many appearances this season as Leinster look to transform his game and develop his fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Dougie howlett would be an exception to the rule , but yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Why does the Leinster thread frequently have an extra page that doesn't exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Because they are just that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I always thought that was just happening to me....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement