Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Fintan D made a mistake not taking it.

I find it fascinating that so many people seem to think Lukes agent is soley responsible for him not accepting the contract on offer.

How do people imagine it happened? Was Luke begging Fintan to take the offer but Fintant put the foot down and said no? Or did Fintan lie to Luke and not tell him about the contract? Or is Luke some baby who was manipulated by Fintan out of accepting the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

padser wrote: »
    Fintan D made a mistake not taking it.

I find it fascinating that so many people seem to think Lukes agent is soley responsible for him not accepting the contract on offer.

How do people imagine it happened? Was Luke begging Fintan to take the offer but Fintant put the foot down and said no? Or did Fintan lie to Luke and not tell him about the contract? Or is Luke some baby who was manipulated by Fintan out of accepting the contract?

Well presumably his agent is advising him on what is the best thing to do, it's impossible to know without knowing the sequence of events, but I think it's fair to assume the agent had a big part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

From what I gather, Platinum One (Fintan Drury) are notoriously difficult to deal with. This is only speculation but I would imagine Fintan advised Luke that the IRFU would increase their offer but they didn't. Or at least not as high as they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'd love to see him down in Munster - we need him more than Leinster do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

profitius wrote: »
    He is earning way more than the average person

Yet, if he's lucky, his career will last 1/3 as long as the average person's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bum bum tish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

tolosenc wrote: »

This is a red herring that consistantly gets thrown about, if he retires from rugby at say 33, he doesnt actually die or confine himself to a rocking chair, there is nothing to stop him from taking up a job staking shelves in his local shop or barwork.

there is also nothing stopping him studying and qualifying in another area should he so want.

He injuries aside will make serious money for another 8 years, he then has the option of taking an ordinary job like the rest of us !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

tolosenc wrote: »

He doesn't exactly retire once his playing days are over. It may be harder for the older pro players to find work as they came from amateur to professional but the crop of players that Fitz came from were surely guided towards planning for life after rugby. He is 9 years younger than Horgan so could reasonably expect to play for another 10 years. (€200k x 10 = €2m) not bad at all and if he retires from the game from Ireland he gets his tax back.

bum bum tish

:confused: what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Are ye developing a taste for injured players or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

durkadurka wrote: »

They just like dramatic rises in the second halves to their seasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

phog wrote: »
    He doesn't exactly retire once his playing days are over. It may be harder for the older pro players to find work as they came from amateur to professional but the crop of players that Fitz came from were surely guided towards planning for life after rugby. He is 9 years younger than Horgan so could reasonably expect to play for another 10 years. (€200k x 10 = €2m) not bad at all and if he retires from the game from Ireland he gets his tax back.

Well no he doesn't technically retire from the work force. He has been with Leinster since he left school (as far as I know he came straight to Leinster) so I'd argue it'll be harder for him than the amateur players or the pro players who came to rugby after college to get a job once he retires from rugby. He has no experience in a 9 to 5 job (more than likely I'd imagine) and while he may have a degree/trade now (I've no idea if he does or doesn't) by the time he quits rugby he'll definitely need a top up to his education to count for the time lapses between graduating and retiring. I'd imagine by then Masters degrees will be a lot more common place so he'll be way behind the curve.

I know what you're saying but the transition he will face after retiring from rugby will be massive so he'll have to have some serious cash behind him when he leaves.

Without being too doom and gloom I'm not sure if he'll last as long as Horgan. He's had some serious injuries already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jaysus, rugby players have it easy enough after retirement. Most will walk into jobs on the back of being a professional rugby player either in the public sector or as a pundit/journalist. Others will stick with rugby in a coaching capacity. A high profile player like Luke will have absolutely no problem gliding into a new profession after rugby.

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but here is the Academy list for next season:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10073.php

Leinster Academy List 2012/13:

Edward Byrne (Loosehead Prop) 1
    Brian Byrne (Hooker) 1
    Gavin Thornbury (2nd Row) 1
    Tadgh Beirne (2nd Row) 1
    Dan Leavy (Flanker) 1
    Josh Van Der Flier (Openside Flanker) 1
    Jack Conan (Number Eight) 1
    Cathal Marsh (Out-half) 1
    James Tracey (Loosehead Prop) 2
    Tadhg Furlong (Tighthead Prop) 2
    Martin Moore (Tighthead Prop) 2
    David Doyle (Hooker) 2
    Conor Gilsenan (Openside) 2
    Jordan Coughlan (Back-row) 2
    Luke McGrath (Scrum-half) 2
    Collie O'Shea (Centre) 2
    Michael Sherlock (Full-back) 2
    Andrew Boyle (Wing) 2
    Jack O'Connell (Loosehead Prop) 3
    Jordi Murphy (Back-row) 3
    Ben Marshall (2nd Row) 3
    Noel Reid (Out-half/Centre) 3
    Darren Hudson (Wing) 3
    Sam Coghlan Murray (Wing) 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

24 man academy! Biggest ever in Ireland?? Its good to see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Des Merry unlucky to lose out, huge amount of props and back rowers coming through.

been very impressed with Gilsenan and Coughlan on the u20's recently.

I am cautiously optimistic about Conan, he was very good for the U-20's without a huge amount of hype and I think he could turn out to be a very good player.

Hopefully see Ben Marshall make his debut this season.

Always impressed with him at 8, like to see him in the 2nd row though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who has got more of a chance of getting a contract, Coghlan-Murray or Hudson? Both are year 3 so they are probably fighting for one development contract afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conan's been immense in the u20s. I wasn't a huge fan of him, but I think he's a hugely impressive running 8. We need a bit more debt at 8 to be comfortable in the backrow. I'm a huge fan of Auva'a, but I find with an important position like that it's best to have 3 players in the senior ranks. Heaslip get's flogged like a pony... (see what I did there!) ;)

• Advertisement

Who has got more of a chance of getting a contract, Coghlan-Murray or Hudson? Both are year 3 so they are probably fighting for one development contract afterwards.

Hudson for me. He just looks a more effective player.

I didn't realise Sam Coghlan-Murray was in the third year of the academy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I just re arranged your post Tox to make it position specific.

Brian Byrne (Hooker) 1
    David Doyle (Hooker) 2
    Tadgh Beirne (2nd Row) 1
    Ben Marshall (2nd Row) 3
    Dan Leavy (Flanker) 1

Collie O'Shea (Centre) 2
    Andrew Boyle (Wing) 2
    Darren Hudson (Wing) 3

Are we a bit light in the centres?
    In April D'arcy and Macken agreed new deals (2 years and 1 year).

So that means we've BOD, D'arcy, McFadden, O Malley, Macken, and O Shea.

I'd like another centre in the Academy to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Coghlan-Murray missed around a year (if not more) after catching meningitis so I’d say there’d be scope for him to repeat 3rd year if he didn’t get a development contract. Originally he looked the more promising, getting an academy contract straight from school and scoring tries for fun in under age and A games prior to his illness.

CatFromHue wrote: »

You could count Reid there, and even Madigan/Sexton can fill in (at a stretch so could Isa). Another in the academy would be ideal, but HEC ready at the moment:

BOD, D'Arcy, McFadden, EOM

When internationals are away:

EOM, Macken, O'Shea, Reid

I don't think we're that short, although having 3 openside flankers seem unnecessary.

durkadurka wrote: »

Are you implying that Leinster shouldn't sign Luke until he's injury free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Brian Byrne (Hooker) 1
    David Doyle (Hooker) 2
    Tadgh Beirne (2nd Row) 1
    Ben Marshall (2nd Row) 3
    Dan Leavy (Flanker) 1

Collie O'Shea (Centre) 2
    Andrew Boyle (Wing) 2
    Darren Hudson (Wing) 3

That's why Brewer was moved from no 8 to centre this year. He is being groomed as a "12". Also good to see Thornbury in there. He is 6 6" and is a good all round footballer and a terrific lineout operator. The Byrne twins and Leavy top prospects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think that's a little different. Leinster are working with Luke first hand in regards to his rehab. They'll know exactly what the player's mindset is like, how he wants to approach his injury and whatnot. Another club/province would not be privy to that kind of info. All they'd have to go on is what his agent says, and a couple of one on one meetings with the player in which he'll no doubt sell himself.

Having said that, anyone who gets Luke now will be very lucky. If Luke can get a couple of seasons under his belt without serious injury I think he can potentially be one of the best backs in Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What i was saying in a lighthearted fashion was the last thing Munster needs to sign, given their injuries is another injured player.

Brian Byrne (Hooker) 1
    David Doyle (Hooker) 2
    Tadgh Beirne (2nd Row) 1
    Ben Marshall (2nd Row) 3
    Dan Leavy (Flanker) 1

Collie O'Shea (Centre) 2
    Andrew Boyle (Wing) 2
    Darren Hudson (Wing) 3

Just 1 scrum-half too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Quint2010 wrote: »
    That's why Brewer was moved from no 8 to centre this year. He is being groomed as a "12". Also good to see Thornbury in there. He is 6 6" and is a good alround footballer and a terrific lineout operator. The Byrne twins and Leavy top prospects too.

Good to see joined up thinking like that between the schools and province if thats the case. Noticed that Jack O'Connell is down as a loosehead prop, always assumed he was more comfortable on the TH side. I wonder is he being developed to focus more on loosehead. It'd make sense why Moore was promoted ahead of him at the end of last season during the TH crisis despite being a year behind and O'Connell seeing gametime at the beginning of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement