Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

There is a good chance we will have too many backrows in the near future looking at that.

The current backrows in the senior squad are:

25, 21, 27, 22, 27, 28 and only Shane Jennings over 30.

Then you have 6 backrows in the academy (7 if you count Beirne who could turn into a 6), all of those except Jordi Murphy were eligible for the U-20's this year.

It's not exactly a bad problem to have, but there will be a backlog of players coming through, and it would possibly be better to give out academy contracts elsewhere, although I'm sure that's easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Tox56 wrote: »
    Is there any chance we will have too many backrows in the near future?

The current backrows in the senior squad are:

25, 21, 27, 22, 27, 28 and only Shane Jennings over 30.

Then in the academy you have 6 backrows in the academy (7 if you count Beirne who could turn into a 6), all of those except Jordi Murphy were eligible for the U-20's this year.

It's not exactly a bad problem to have, but there will be a backlog of players coming through.

Very true. Be very tough for Leavy but I actually think he has even more potential than Gilsenan.

An academy that overproduces is far more welcome than one that underproduces.

If we see guys graduating from the Leinster academy and heading off to play in England / Top 14 etc that's fine in my books.

The opposite doesn't bare thinking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Point of order here; injured or not, Jones was not remotely on the radar for international selection at that time.

In 2011? Not massively before he played in the RWC warm up games and would have been selected in the squad if he didn't get injured again? Afraid you're wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

danthefan wrote: »
    Point of order here; injured or not, Jones was not remotely on the radar for international selection at that time.

In 2011? Not massively before he played in the RWC warm up games and would have been selected in the squad if he didn't get injured again? Afraid you're wrong there.

Nope. You were talking about Luke's selection at full back which was Six Nations 2011 and Jones was not in the reckoning. He only got mentioned for internationals after the Amlin games that year.

• Advertisement

Nope. You were talking about Luke's selection at full back which was Six Nations 2011 and Jones was not in the reckoning. He only got mentioned for internationals after the Amlin games that year.

Yeah... because of long term injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

profitius wrote: »
    Hudson for me. He just looks a more effective player.

I didn't realise Sam Coghlan-Murray was in the third year of the academy.

coghlan is a year and a half younger. he had meningitis which ruled him out for a year. hudson is far bigger and can play several different positions but always seemed like a good player not a great player to me.

i think leinster rate coghlan murray more. hes very quick and athletic and explosive over 10 yards. top scorer for ucd this season. ahead of andy boyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

They're hardly gonna let SCM go are they. He's just 20. He's two years younger than Hudson. Out of the two of them Hudson is way more likely to part ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

they definitely wont let him go. i reckon he's one of the highest rated players in the acdemy. he was a reserve for a few of leisnter away games at the end of last season. i remember seeing him togged out on the bench against treviso/aironi but not in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

SCM has played both 15 and 11 well in the past (although realistically doesn't project to be a pro 15 imo).

He's very highly rated in both the Leinster academy and in UCD. Straight into the academy after school as well which shows he's gifted physically. That illness really set him back though unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Is it just me or am I seriously confused here? Are guys allowed to stay in the sub-academy as long as they want until the rules change for a 3 year program in the actual academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is it just me or am I seriously confused here? Are guys allowed to stay in the sub-academy as long as they want until the rules change for a 3 year program in the actual academy?

The sub-academy is just a group of players who are on Leinster's radar and who they are developing externally to the academy. Quite often guys with potential who just need a bit of physical development or from smaller schools/clubs who they want to see more of.

The academy is a 3 year program that leads to a qualification, most players do 3 years in it unless they are good enough to be offered a development contract before they finish (Dom Ryan etc). The idea is players complete all 3 years and even guys who are not necessarily good enough to sign a full contract (Ruddock/Sheridan this year) will at least come away with an accreditation of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The academy is a 3 year program that leads to a qualification
    A qualification in what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ray jay wrote: »
    A qualification in what?
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/1427.php
    Diploma in professional rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

durkadurka wrote: »
    Are ye developing a taste for injured players or something?
    :pac:

A taste for talent, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've been very impressed with the performances of SOB and Heaslip in New Zealand. Both of them were accused of struggling for form at various stages of the season. It's encouraging to see them performing so well against the best team in the world, at the end of the regular season.

And it looks like SOB may be developing into a very good openside.

Clegg wrote: »
    I've been very impressed with the performances of SOB and Heaslip in New Zealand. Both of them were accused of struggling for form at various stages of the season. It's encouraging to see them performing so well against the best team in the world, at the end of the regular season.

And it looks like SOB may be developing into a very good openside.

Never really tallied with Leinster performances during the season. You'd constantly hear about how good Leinster were at the breakdown etc etc, then at the same time hear two of our three backrow players were poor. Did not add up.

Heaslip had a massive game this morning and SOB is a truly outstanding player now.

Never really tallied with Leinster performances during the season. You'd constantly hear about how good Leinster were at the breakdown etc etc, then at the same time hear two of our three backrow players were poor. Did not add up.

Heaslip had a massive game this morning and SOB is a truly outstanding player now.

I agree with you. Although I think Heaslips performances for Ireland weren't quite up to his usual standard.

I think SOB and Heaslip received some unwarranted criticism this season. They weren't making eye catching carries but their work at the breakdown was exceptional. It seems like if you aren't busting tackles and making linebreaks then you aren't playing well.

Clegg wrote: »
    I agree with you. Although I think Heaslips performances for Ireland weren't quite up to his usual standard.

I think SOB and Heaslip received some unwarranted criticism this season. They weren't making eye catching carries but their work at the breakdown was exceptional. It seems like if you aren't busting tackles and making linebreaks then you aren't playing well.

I saw a comment on here last weekend about how anonymous SOB was in the first test against NZ. When challenged the poster asked for examples of "big runs" SOB made. The mind boggles.

I saw a comment on here last weekend about how anonymous SOB was in the first test against NZ. When challenged the poster asked for examples of "big runs" SOB made. The mind boggles.
    I can kind of understand where that poster is coming from. SOB made his breakthrough as a blindside that broke through tackles and made mincemeat of puny backs. If you are conditioned to seeing those kind of performances from him then you'd question why he isn't doing that anymore.

But obviously that isn't his primary role now. He's turning into a very good fetcher and is really beginning to make himself a nuisance at the breakdown.

He's improved immeasurably as a 7 and its great to see. Ireland need a quality openside. He has played brilliantly against Mc Caw. Mc Caw doesn't look fully fit though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

This is said poster, posted as a wind up to see would it be picked up by some of the johnny come latelys who drop into the threads for big matches, surprised to see so many regular posters react to it seeing as I post here fairly frequently and am one of SOB's biggest fans.

shuffol wrote: »
    This is said poster, posted as a wind up to see would it be picked up by some of the johnny come latelys who drop into the threads for big matches, surprised to see so many regular posters react to it seeing as I post here fairly frequently and am one of SOB's biggest fans.

Whatever you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah but then you must realize how silly it sounds when you thought SOB was anonymous last week when quite clearly he was the best forward on the field, or Ireland or NZ?

Great opensides don't do galloping runs. McCaw doesn't do it, Pocock doesn't do it, Warburton doesn't do it. It's a specific, specialized role that involves breakdown technique and balance, not making barnstorming runs.

If you posted it as a 'wind up' then why did you spend two pages arguing your point? :confused:

Have to say I thought SOB was excellent Saturday, was a constant menace at the breakdown, cut down ball carriers early by rushing out of the line and put in a few big hits.

Previous post on SOB, no big runs that day either;)

Ah well, grand so, all cleared up, not a bother...

Except for the fact you're a self-admitted troll. :D

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but then you must realize how silly it sounds when you thought SOB was anonymous last week when quite clearly he was the best forward on the field, or Ireland or NZ?

Great opensides don't do galloping runs. McCaw doesn't do it, Pocock doesn't do it, Warburton doesn't do it. It's a specific, specialized role that involves breakdown technique and balance, not making barnstorming runs.

If you posted it as a 'wind up' then why did you spend two pages arguing your point? :confused:

Ah lads, look through my previous posts if you can be arsed, I think you'll find that the one about SOB and his "big runs" stands out from most of them(hopefully). I should've just put a smiley after the first one, the trouble I'd have saved myself.

Edit: Just saw reply from ak, glad thats cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Heineken Cup Final in full, if any of ye want to watch it:

Heineken Cup Final in full, if any of ye want to watch it:

Ah. Good rugby. I had forgotten about that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was plenty of good rugby yesterday.......just none by us!

• Advertisement

I missed the Wales match and I'm not sure the SA-England match was good rugby either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement