Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Should Leinster trust Fionn this season and use his potent attack ? Or keep using the more experienced players instead and make Carr work for scraps ?

With Luke Fitz and Dave Kearney injured and Rob Kearney and McFadden being rested, he'll get some gametime in the opening rounds of the league. It's up to him to make the most of it. If Luke's neck injury is as bad as we're hearing, there's a spot up for grabs in the Heineken Cup team and while McFadden is in pole position, it's not a done deal by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

.ak wrote: »
    It'd be good to see the likes of Jordi, Gilly and Conan getting some senior starts. I was impressed with Jordi last year, he didn't set the world alight but didn't make any mistakes or miss any tackles on his senior starts last season and you can't ask any more of that.

Gilly might bulk up in time, I think he's another Locky type character that really relishes on a massive work rate but has the skillset to play openside. Having said that he's least likely to get a senior start, still needs a lot of weight and bulking up.

Gilly = Gilsenan?

Of all the positions back row is the best for us to get an injury, as good as SOB is and as much as we will miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ben Marshall.

He's a tank.

Not sure if Marshall is going to make it. I rated him but he hasn't really kicked on from two years ago. He has floated in and out of the A team and I think there are too many solid options coming up behind him to make it at Leinster. Played a lot of his rugby in the second row last season but he's too short to make it there. I think he'll struggle to secure a senior contract for himself.

On another note, the Leinster squad page has been updated and there's no sign of Jamie Hagan in there curiously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Neither is Michael Bent. Maybe they're still in the process of updating it.

Hagz wrote: »
    Neither is Michael Bent. Maybe they're still in the process of updating it.

Bent is still contracted to the Hurricanes for the moment and I'm not sure if he's staying for the NPC with Taranaki so not surprised that he isn't there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Damien Browne (and Luke Fitzgerald) are there however. :)

No academy promoted players (if any?) listed on there either.

To be honest, I wouldn't exactly be devistated if we lost Hagan, given Bent is Irish qualified, and a few really good prospects coming through that could use game time.

Probably harsh on Hagan and he deserves another season, but I've grown very suspicious of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

[Jackass] wrote: »

Who would they promote? Ruddock and Sheridan never looked like making it and I think they were the only two 3rd year's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

[Jackass] wrote: »

To be honest, I wouldn't exactly be devistated if we lost Hagan, given Bent is Irish qualified, and a few really good prospects coming through that could use game time.

Probably harsh on Hagan and he deserves another season, but I've grown very suspicious of him.

Yeah-I mean what's he hiding in that beard?...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hagan signed a 3 year deal when he arrived: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7829.php

Hagan signed a 3 year deal when he arrived: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7829.php

So did Steven Sykes...

TBH I have little confidence in Hagan. When you look at how he failed to make an impact this season and add it to that the two fantastic young props we have, I wouldn't view him as a loss if he left. I hope that he either makes strides next season, or if not, I hope he doesn't get in the way of Moore/Furlong.

• Advertisement

Yee of little faith.

Hagan has more time, in more important games, than Mike Ross, an award winning prop had in his first season at Leinster.

There isn't a rush, White did a fantastic cover job this year, and between Hagan, Bent and the academy upstarts, we'll get there .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I haven't seen much of Ben Marshall so I can't really comment. I'd like to see Conan do well, but I suppose it's easy to be sold on the exploits of the JWC.

Will EoM still be off his feet at the start of the season?

Yee of little faith.

Hagan has more time, in more important games, than Mike Ross, an award winning prop had in his first season at Leinster.

There isn't a rush, White did a fantastic cover job this year, and between Hagan, Bent and the academy upstarts, we'll get there .

+1

Besides if Hagan left would people be happy for Moore/Furlong to be second choice behind an unknown prop for large parts of the season when Ross is unavailable?

I think Hagan has got some unfair criticism and we definitely need him next season, but it is a little suspicious that he was the only player removed from the squad list after those rumours..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Might see some of Ben Marshall too, a lock/number 8.
    at 6"4 he is an 8 man and not a lock not tall enough

I know its only an inch,(and whats an inch betweem friends) but im pretty sure hes 6"5 which is only an inch shorter than cullen, and sure whats an inch between friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know its only an inch,(and whats an inch betweem friends) but im pretty sure hes 6"5 which is only an inch shorter than cullen, and sure whats an inch between friends.

Thorny is 6′5″, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

ben marshall was injured all last season.plenty of time for him to come good still

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

tolosenc wrote: »
    errlloyd wrote: »

Thorny is 6′5″, no?

True, I'd forgotten

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think Hagan has got some unfair criticism and we definitely need him next season.

I don't know.

He was brought in from Connacht, then suddenly Nathan White was signed pretty sharpish. Then when White moves on, Michael Bent is parachuted in.

You could easily make the case that the management don't have much faith in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I don't know.

He was brought in from Connacht, then suddenly Nathan White was signed pretty sharpish. Then when White moves on, Michael Bent is parachuted in.

You could easily make the case that the management don't have much faith in him.
    Or you could perhaps make the case that he's a work in progress and needs more time. He's still in the squad, he's still getting game time so perhaps it's a case of continuing development. Props generally take more time to develop than other positions.

I've a feeling White went to Connacht to free up a slot for another project player. He'll do well in Connacht and will get more game time than he would in Leinster.

• Advertisement

I don't know.

You could also say they were easing him in, and we need more TH cover (especially when the internationals are away).

rrpc wrote: »
    Or you could perhaps make the case that he's a work in progress and needs more time. He's still in the squad, he's still getting game time so perhaps it's a case of continuing development. Props generally take more time to develop than other positions.

I don't know what the truth is, I just think that it's a bit of a coincidence that this guy is supposedly one for the future and the Connacht fans were up in arms when he was 'poached', yet Leinster keep signing guys in the same position.
    rrpc wrote: »
    I've a feeling White went to Connacht to free up a slot for another project player. He'll do well in Connacht and will get more game time than he would in Leinster.
    Agreed, I thought White was an excellent signing for Leinster and will be a great addition for Connacht.

Connacht's signing of White was probably the transfer of the season so far tbh. A lot of people wanted him starting some of the bigger games ahead of Ross.

TH's that work are worth their cash.

With regards to Ben Marshall, I've always been incredibly impressed with how good his hands are for a big guy. He's a ball playing lock / 8 alright.

A club like Leinster simply needs 3 senior props for each side. Regardless of Hagan's performances this season they would always have signed someone imo. I don't think the signings of Bent and White are a reflection on Hagan necessarily. The fact that White was picked ahead of him is, and we will see what the pecking order is this season. But even if Hagan had been ahead of White we would still have signed Bent I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Connacht's signing of White was probably the transfer of the season so far tbh. A lot of people wanted him starting some of the bigger games ahead of Ross.

TH's that work are worth their cash.

With regards to Ben Marshall, I've always been incredibly impressed with how good his hands are for a big guy. He's a ball playing lock / 8 alright.

Because the picture of him when announcing the team was hilarious!

But yeah, was good to see him play alright.

GerM wrote: »
    With that all said, it will probably be some lock from SA now!

Well, that shows me....

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/WP-to-lose-another-young-star-20120626

6'5", over 18 stone and a rated prospect. He made his S15 debut recently. The new project player, perhaps. Nothing being reported yet on Leinster's end from what I can see.

Stats suggest he is the enforcer type, which we desperately need

Looking through his agents youtube account, it looks like Louis Ludik and Tiaan Liebenberg are looking to move as well.

Going through the Stormers players there, they churn out the locks. Bekker is the old man of the group at 28. Roux is 21, Etzebeth is 20 (and a three cap international), Steenkamp is 25 (established S15 player) and Elstadt is 22 (established S15 player).

Seems like it's not only a back row factory down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Two things.

1 I hereby claim first use of 'the mighty Quinn'

2 with a first name like Quinn i wonder if there might be an Irish granny?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement