Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shameless US (* US Pace *)

Options
135678

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger


    Dunno if Macy can pull off a beilievable Frank Gallagher character tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear




  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist


    carbon copy or what!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27


    kujosHeist wrote: »
    carbon copy or what!

    It is for a brand new audience. The first episode of the US Office was a carbon copy too IIRC


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq


    Think the first episode is on Sunday..

    .. well, they advertised a "Shameless - Sneak Peek" for this Sunday coming after the most recent episode of 'Dexter'.

    That either means a "behind-the-scenes" or the pilot..

    EDIT: Actually.. everywhere seems the suggest it doesn't start til January 9th, so I'm guessing it is just a behind-the-scenes.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E


    Shameless US threads merged.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower


    20 min "sneak peek" is out....i'll watch it later, but i never liked the UK version so i doubt i'll like this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1


    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a295653/macy-has-sex-scenes-with-co-star-he-babysat.html
    William H. Macy has revealed that he has shot sex scenes on his show Shameless with a co-star that he used to babysit.

    Macy spoke to The Los Angeles Times about the new Showtime series, in which he stars with Joan Cusack. The two share a sex scene early on in Shameless, but Macy says that he has known Cusack for too long for it to be awkward.

    "I've known Joan for a long, long time," said the actor. "I actually babysat Joan Cusack. I started acting in Chicago, and I knew her dad."

    He continued: "Joan's mum still talks about a set of bookshelves that I built that are right inside their front door."

    Shameless premieres January 9 on Showtime.


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq


    I'm speaking as someone who's relatively new to Shameless (so I can judge it without pretense of the UK version).

    I enjoyed the UK series but never got to finish the first season (have the first 5 seasons on DVD sitting there).

    So I was one of the many who thought the US version just won't work.. but I hate to say it - it really does, and it works quite well!

    The cast are all excellent and have a nice chemistry together - Macy didn't leave a huge impression to be honest but both Chatwin and Rossum are excellent - Chatwin I do think was a particularly inspired choice for Steve.

    Other than a couple of scenes, the pilot is lifted from the UK series (not suprisingly) but it's not as much of a scene-for-scene-remake as 'The Office' for example.

    Hardcore fans of the UK series may not warm to it as much, but it's definitely got a lot going for it - a strong cast for one, but we'll need to see how it proceeds from here (I'm assuming it's original scripts from now on).

    But I'll tell you one thing - with some solid original scripts from now on, Showtime have another hit on their hands.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong


    basquille wrote: »
    I'm speaking as someone who's relatively new to Shameless (so I can judge it without pretense of the UK version).

    I enjoyed the UK series but never got to finish the first season (have the first 5 seasons on DVD sitting there).

    So I was one of the many who thought the US version just won't work.. but I hate to say it - it really does, and it works quite well!

    The cast are all excellent and have a nice chemistry together - Macy didn't leave a huge impression to be honest but both Chatwin and Rossum are excellent - Chatwin I do think was a particularly inspired choice for Steve.

    Other than a couple of scenes, the pilot is lifted from the UK series (not suprisingly) but it's not as much of a scene-for-scene-remake as 'The Office' for example.

    Hardcore fans of the UK series may not warm to it as much, but it's definitely got a lot going for it - a strong cast for one, but we'll need to see how it proceeds from here (I'm assuming it's original scripts from now on).

    But I'll tell you one thing - with some solid original scripts from now on, Showtime have another hit on their hands.

    +1

    Watching it right now and it works very well.
    Granted this is probably because it has been re-shot scene for scene which should detract from the shows quality but all the same I can't help but enjoy it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton


    Hmmm, may have to bite the bullet and give it a chance...


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108


    I watched maybe seasons 5 and 6 of the UK one on 4OD but never had the time to fully catch up. That trailer looks good though and depending on reviews and opinions of peeps here I'll prob give it a go:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong


    Yeah, the original did go rapidly downhill around season 4-5 mark imo.

    I hate it when shows **** around with the cast like that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon


    I only managed to Season 4 of the UK series, couldn't bear it after that. Seasons 1 - 3 are still some of the finest TV I've ever seen however.

    Now the American spin...it's brilliant! What impresses me most is making the projects side of America believable. In most Hollywood productions, we find ridiculously misplaced actors put into these downtrodden poverty situations and not being in any way shape or form. In this however everyone fits. The only gripe I would have is underuse of characters but for a pilot that is acceptable at the moment I guess.

    Can't wait to see how it pans out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink


    Emmy Rossum is ridiculously hot! that is all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq


    niallon wrote: »
    The only gripe I would have is underuse of characters but for a pilot that is acceptable at the moment I guess.
    The pilot of the UK series was the same though.. Frank was it (well, while conscience) was 2 - 3 small scenes tops.

    The pilot (both US and UK) was about 5 characters - Fiona, Steve, Lip, Ian and to a much lesser extent Frank.

    But like I said, hugely impressed by performances all round.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton


    Wow, was not expecting that to be good, but it really works. And dare I say, it worked better than the first episode of the uk version.
    Hopefully from here onwards it'll take its own path and it could potentially be fantastic.
    Really looking forward to episode 2.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz


    This was surprisingly good. Didn't think it would work but its grand. I have heard the first few episodes are nearly the same as the original but after that it will go its own way,and that will be interesting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong


    I wonder if they'll continue to mimic the British script or if they'll let it come into its own.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27


    The original Shameless got incredibly boring. I am hoping for something better from this.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower


    Shameless UK kicked off it's eight season last night. I might check out the US version, hated the UK.


  • Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1


    I wonder if they'll continue to mimic the British script or if they'll let it come into its own.

    Well Steve and Fiona left in Season 2 of the UK show so I assume this will be changed for this show


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    i'd say they will write their own scripts but dip into the main source for general plot lines and small funny scenes
    were the original Lip, Ian, Karl and Liam as young as that in the original series?


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton


    Skerries wrote: »
    were the original Lip, Ian, Karl and Liam as young as that in the original series?

    pretty much. I think in the UK version Karl is older than Debbie, which they seem to have changed, but thats a minor detail in the grand scheme of things.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord


    It felt so strange seeing Americans doing all these things, I don't think they really pull it off.


  • Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1


    What is Kev and Veronica like? (These were two of my favourite characters in the UK show)


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq


    ScumLord wrote: »
    It felt so strange seeing Americans doing all these things, I don't think they really pull it off.
    Like what? :confused:

    Give us an example.. nothing in the first episode felt distinctly British. It wasn't like they went around eating tea and crumpets or oppressing us for 800 years..

    .. SNAP - yes, I WENT there! :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon


    basquille wrote: »
    The pilot of the UK series was the same though.. Frank was it (well, while conscience) was 2 - 3 small scenes tops.

    The pilot (both US and UK) was about 5 characters - Fiona, Steve, Lip, Ian and to a much lesser extent Frank.

    But like I said, hugely impressed by performances all round.

    It was more Carl that bothered me but as pointed out, the UK series moves through characters like a hot knife through butter which I doubt the US one will given that they're probably all going to be signed up for 2 or 3 seasons off the bat so there's room for development there, just thought Carl was one of the funniest in the UK series, though I can't remember, maybe Carl wasn't used much in the original pilot, been a long time since I watched it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton


    niallon wrote: »
    It was more Carl that bothered me but as pointed out, the UK series moves through characters like a hot knife through butter which I doubt the US one will given that they're probably all going to be signed up for 2 or 3 seasons off the bat so there's room for development there, just thought Carl was one of the funniest in the UK series, though I can't remember, maybe Carl wasn't used much in the original pilot, been a long time since I watched it!

    Carl wasn't used much at all in the first series of Shameless UK - he was kinda just there. He didn't really get a storyline until he accidentally shot Lillians husband.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord


    basquille wrote: »
    Like what? :confused:

    Give us an example.. nothing in the first episode felt distinctly British. It wasn't like they went around eating tea and crumpets or oppressing us for 800 years..

    .. SNAP - yes, I WENT there! :pac:
    I just felt that some of the dialogue didn't sound very American, maybe it's just familiarity but unless it branches out into it's own plot showing American versions of the families in the UK shameless I don't see the point.


Advertisement