Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shameless US (* US Pace *)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88,071 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/joan-cusack-exhibits-shameless-behavior-for-showtime
    Joan Cusack has joined the cast of Showtime's new dramedy "Shameless."
    Cusack will appear in all 12 episodes of "Shameless," which will premiere on Sunday, Jan. 9.
    "Shameless" is based on the adored British format and features original creator Paul Abbott as executive producer along with Emmy winner John Wells. The series features William H. Macy as the alcoholic patriarch of a working-class Chicago family, but truly stars Emmy Rossum as the eldest daughter who has to keep the family together.
    Cusack will play Sheila, an agoraphobic housewife who strikes up a relationship with Macy's character.
    The role was played by Allison Janney in the pilot, but with the "West Wing" star committed to ABC's midseason comedy "Mr. Sunshine" and producers determined to expand Sheila into a larger role, there wasn't enough Janney to go around.
    Cusack has earned a pair of Oscar nominations for her performances in "Working Girl" and "In & Out." He TV credits include the short-lived "What About Joan" and a run on "Saturday Night Live."
    Production on "Shameless" will begin in mid-September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

New trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nAnpNouEM&feature=player_embedded

I'm not a big fan of the Uk version, but I'll check this out for Emmy Rossum & Justin Chatwin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's hard to comprehend so many people wasting so much time making something so pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks like a lazy lazy remake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I guessing this will be like a more serious version of "My Name Is Earl".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oh God, its a word for word rip off... It's not gonna work... Don't think I can even attempt to watch it in January - think I'll just rewatch the good auld UK version instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Oh God, its a word for word rip off... It's not gonna work... Don't think I can even attempt to watch it in January - think I'll just rewatch the good auld UK version instead...

It doesn't look great at all,but in terms of it copying the original version word for word nearly,a lot of remakes do that for the pilot but then go off in their own direction,like the US Office and possibly other remakes. Whether that happens with this version has yet to be seen. Ill probbaly watch the pilot and see what its like.

tvnutz wrote: »
    It doesn't look great at all,but in terms of it copying the original version word for word nearly,a lot of remakes do that for the pilot but then go off in their own direction,like the US Office and possibly other remakes. Whether that happens with this version has yet to be seen. Ill probbaly watch the pilot and see what its like.
    Yeah, that's what I presume will happen too.

I'm still yet to finish the 1st season in my 5 season boxset I picked up in Zavvi a year or 2 back.

DeWitt wrote: »
    New trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nAnpNouEM&feature=player_embedded

I'm not a big fan of the Uk version, but I'll check this out for Emmy Rossum & Justin Chatwin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

^ that looks awful to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dunno if Macy can pull off a beilievable Frank Gallagher character tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

carbon copy or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

kujosHeist wrote: »
    carbon copy or what!

It is for a brand new audience. The first episode of the US Office was a carbon copy too IIRC

Think the first episode is on Sunday..

.. well, they advertised a "Shameless - Sneak Peek" for this Sunday coming after the most recent episode of 'Dexter'.

That either means a "behind-the-scenes" or the pilot..

EDIT: Actually.. everywhere seems the suggest it doesn't start til January 9th, so I'm guessing it is just a behind-the-scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shameless US threads merged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

20 min "sneak peek" is out....i'll watch it later, but i never liked the UK version so i doubt i'll like this.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a295653/macy-has-sex-scenes-with-co-star-he-babysat.html
    William H. Macy has revealed that he has shot sex scenes on his show Shameless with a co-star that he used to babysit.

Macy spoke to The Los Angeles Times about the new Showtime series, in which he stars with Joan Cusack. The two share a sex scene early on in Shameless, but Macy says that he has known Cusack for too long for it to be awkward.

"I've known Joan for a long, long time," said the actor. "I actually babysat Joan Cusack. I started acting in Chicago, and I knew her dad."

He continued: "Joan's mum still talks about a set of bookshelves that I built that are right inside their front door."

Shameless premieres January 9 on Showtime.

I'm speaking as someone who's relatively new to Shameless (so I can judge it without pretense of the UK version).

I enjoyed the UK series but never got to finish the first season (have the first 5 seasons on DVD sitting there).

So I was one of the many who thought the US version just won't work.. but I hate to say it - it really does, and it works quite well!

The cast are all excellent and have a nice chemistry together - Macy didn't leave a huge impression to be honest but both Chatwin and Rossum are excellent - Chatwin I do think was a particularly inspired choice for Steve.

Other than a couple of scenes, the pilot is lifted from the UK series (not suprisingly) but it's not as much of a scene-for-scene-remake as 'The Office' for example.

Hardcore fans of the UK series may not warm to it as much, but it's definitely got a lot going for it - a strong cast for one, but we'll need to see how it proceeds from here (I'm assuming it's original scripts from now on).

But I'll tell you one thing - with some solid original scripts from now on, Showtime have another hit on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

basquille wrote: »
    I'm speaking as someone who's relatively new to Shameless (so I can judge it without pretense of the UK version).

I enjoyed the UK series but never got to finish the first season (have the first 5 seasons on DVD sitting there).

So I was one of the many who thought the US version just won't work.. but I hate to say it - it really does, and it works quite well!

The cast are all excellent and have a nice chemistry together - Macy didn't leave a huge impression to be honest but both Chatwin and Rossum are excellent - Chatwin I do think was a particularly inspired choice for Steve.

Other than a couple of scenes, the pilot is lifted from the UK series (not suprisingly) but it's not as much of a scene-for-scene-remake as 'The Office' for example.

Hardcore fans of the UK series may not warm to it as much, but it's definitely got a lot going for it - a strong cast for one, but we'll need to see how it proceeds from here (I'm assuming it's original scripts from now on).

But I'll tell you one thing - with some solid original scripts from now on, Showtime have another hit on their hands.

+1

Watching it right now and it works very well.
    Granted this is probably because it has been re-shot scene for scene which should detract from the shows quality but all the same I can't help but enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hmmm, may have to bite the bullet and give it a chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I watched maybe seasons 5 and 6 of the UK one on 4OD but never had the time to fully catch up. That trailer looks good though and depending on reviews and opinions of peeps here I'll prob give it a go:)

Yeah, the original did go rapidly downhill around season 4-5 mark imo.

I hate it when shows **** around with the cast like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I only managed to Season 4 of the UK series, couldn't bear it after that. Seasons 1 - 3 are still some of the finest TV I've ever seen however.

Now the American spin...it's brilliant! What impresses me most is making the projects side of America believable. In most Hollywood productions, we find ridiculously misplaced actors put into these downtrodden poverty situations and not being in any way shape or form. In this however everyone fits. The only gripe I would have is underuse of characters but for a pilot that is acceptable at the moment I guess.

Can't wait to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Emmy Rossum is ridiculously hot! that is all.

niallon wrote: »
    The only gripe I would have is underuse of characters but for a pilot that is acceptable at the moment I guess.
    The pilot of the UK series was the same though.. Frank was it (well, while conscience) was 2 - 3 small scenes tops.

The pilot (both US and UK) was about 5 characters - Fiona, Steve, Lip, Ian and to a much lesser extent Frank.

But like I said, hugely impressed by performances all round.

Wow, was not expecting that to be good, but it really works. And dare I say, it worked better than the first episode of the uk version.
    Hopefully from here onwards it'll take its own path and it could potentially be fantastic.
    Really looking forward to episode 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

This was surprisingly good. Didn't think it would work but its grand. I have heard the first few episodes are nearly the same as the original but after that it will go its own way,and that will be interesting.

I wonder if they'll continue to mimic the British script or if they'll let it come into its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The original Shameless got incredibly boring. I am hoping for something better from this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Shameless UK kicked off it's eight season last night. I might check out the US version, hated the UK.

I wonder if they'll continue to mimic the British script or if they'll let it come into its own.

Well Steve and Fiona left in Season 2 of the UK show so I assume this will be changed for this show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'd say they will write their own scripts but dip into the main source for general plot lines and small funny scenes
    were the original Lip, Ian, Karl and Liam as young as that in the original series?

Skerries wrote: »
    were the original Lip, Ian, Karl and Liam as young as that in the original series?

pretty much. I think in the UK version Karl is older than Debbie, which they seem to have changed, but thats a minor detail in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It felt so strange seeing Americans doing all these things, I don't think they really pull it off.

What is Kev and Veronica like? (These were two of my favourite characters in the UK show)

ScumLord wrote: »
    It felt so strange seeing Americans doing all these things, I don't think they really pull it off.
    Like what? :confused:

Give us an example.. nothing in the first episode felt distinctly British. It wasn't like they went around eating tea and crumpets or oppressing us for 800 years..

.. SNAP - yes, I WENT there! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

The pilot of the UK series was the same though.. Frank was it (well, while conscience) was 2 - 3 small scenes tops.

The pilot (both US and UK) was about 5 characters - Fiona, Steve, Lip, Ian and to a much lesser extent Frank.

But like I said, hugely impressed by performances all round.

It was more Carl that bothered me but as pointed out, the UK series moves through characters like a hot knife through butter which I doubt the US one will given that they're probably all going to be signed up for 2 or 3 seasons off the bat so there's room for development there, just thought Carl was one of the funniest in the UK series, though I can't remember, maybe Carl wasn't used much in the original pilot, been a long time since I watched it!

niallon wrote: »
    It was more Carl that bothered me but as pointed out, the UK series moves through characters like a hot knife through butter which I doubt the US one will given that they're probably all going to be signed up for 2 or 3 seasons off the bat so there's room for development there, just thought Carl was one of the funniest in the UK series, though I can't remember, maybe Carl wasn't used much in the original pilot, been a long time since I watched it!

Carl wasn't used much at all in the first series of Shameless UK - he was kinda just there. He didn't really get a storyline until he accidentally shot Lillians husband.

• Advertisement

Give us an example.. nothing in the first episode felt distinctly British. It wasn't like they went around eating tea and crumpets or oppressing us for 800 years..

I just felt that some of the dialogue didn't sound very American, maybe it's just familiarity but unless it branches out into it's own plot showing American versions of the families in the UK shameless I don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dane Bramage

What tv channel is this show on?

It's on Showtime in the States.. it's not airing on UK / Irish stations as of yet.

More4 will be showing it next month

It's on Yarrr T E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Watched this last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice reminder of how awesome Kev and Veronica were, and your one playing Fiona's a flamin' stunner! It'll get interesting when they split from the UK storyline, here's hoping they keep a high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Damn, I may end up having to watch this with all the positive reviews. I do have a Cape-sized hole in my viewing schedule I suppose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It wasn't like they went around eating tea and crumpets or oppressing us for 800 years..

Well you have to blame someone for the total **** hole that Ireland is I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Töpher wrote: »
    Watched this last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice reminder of how awesome Kev and Veronica were, and your one playing Fiona's a flamin' stunner! It'll get interesting when they split from the UK storyline, here's hoping they keep a high standard.

Watched the 1st episode last night, very good I thought, good cast all round and a nice tribute to the British version... will watch them all if possible and see how it progresses.

Watching the preair of Episode One now and I have to say that I'm enjoying it. It's well shot, well acted and well written - I wasn't a fan of the original and rarely watched it, so I don't know how they compare but, so far, it's pretty great as a standalone show. The usual high quality expected from Showtime. If only they did Being Human instead of Syfy, but we'll see how that turns out tonight.

Haven't watched the 2nd episode yet.. but it'll be on RTÉ2 shortly (even before the UK premiere on More4 next month):
    The US adaptation of the hit comedy drama Shameless is coming to Irish screens this month.

The remake of the gritty show is being hailed as one of the biggest programme launches stateside, with an all-star cast.

While we normally have to wait several months before getting a new show from the US, RTE will be showing Shameless just weeks after its debut to critical acclaim.

Although it is believed to be a 'watered down' version of the no holds barred British original, the programme boasts a stellar cast full of award-winning actors.

Oscar-nominated William H. Macy leads the cast as Frank Gallagher, the alcoholic patriarch of a large, unconventional, blue-collar family in working class Chicago.

Playing the role of his oldest daughter Fiona is Golden Globe nominated Emmy Rossum, whose character tries to keep her five younger brothers and sisters on track.

In a recent interview, Macy who is married to Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman, describes Gallagher as being "very broadminded about his drug choices".

Smart

"He's a narcissist, an addict, he's smart, he's funny, he's strangely hard-working," he added.

"It occurred to me that he could just go out and get a job, it would be a lot easier than all the scams he does. You can't believe where they are taking this character over the first season; it is hysterical."

Although the original is still believed to outshine Macy and co's latest efforts, the remake is proving to be a massive hit stateside.

Shameless debuted on US network Showtime just last week, scoring the biggest ever show debut in the station's history, with more than eight million viewers tuning in.

Shameless airs on RTE Two, Thursday, January 27 at 9.55pm.
    Source: The Herald

• Advertisement
Advertisement