Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOTO GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

some grunt in that honda this year amazing down the straight

feel sorry for casey ,but delighted rossi won ,lucky he didnt run out of juice on the last lap ,and lorenzo great race not his biggest fan but still fair play .

pedrosa again great at the start and then fading away as usual dont know if its the bike or him seems to be a usual for him.

and happy for nicky im sure he has been very frustrated last season and looks like things are sorted better for him this year..

Fidelis wrote: »
    Really? I think Parrish and Cox are a great pair! :)

best comentators are the pair on eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

delighted rossi won ,lucky he didnt run out of juice on the last lap

The one thing to remember is that after three laps the ECU on a MotoGP bike clicks over into fuel mode and calculates how much fuel there is and how much power it can use and still have fuel to finish the race so it was unlikely that Rossi would run out of fuel....but if he was just a bit tighter on fuel he would have been easy prey for other riders because he would have had even less power than what he finished the race with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Really? I think Parrish and Cox are a great pair! :)

You're joking, aren't you??? :eek:

best comentators are the pair on eurosport

Toby and Jules :D great to hear lads that actually have some knowledge of what they're commenting on.

frostie500 wrote: »
    The one thing to remember is that after three laps the ECU on a MotoGP bike clicks over into fuel mode and calculates how much fuel there is and how much power it can use and still have fuel to finish the race so it was unlikely that Rossi would run out of fuel....but if he was just a bit tighter on fuel he would have been easy prey for other riders because he would have had even less power than what he finished the race with

there defo wasnt a power loss anyway he got the hammer down the last few laps and broke away .i wonder would he have been able to catch stoner had he not crashed probably not ,in saying that qatar is the longest staright they have in moto gp and by the look of it rossi kept up with fairly down it

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    You're joking, aren't you??? :eek:

Toby and Jules :D great to hear lads that actually have some knowledge of what they're commenting on.

yea there great and very funny,

did anyone ever watch moto gp and f1 when they where on rte what a joke

they didnt even know which car or bike was which or what driver was in them ,probably didnt even know what day it was

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hayden really looked back to himself and had one of his best races on an 800, he looked very comfortable on the bike for the first time, so clearly changing the Ducati to a big bang engine suits him a lot more.
    He's never been the same since they got rid of the 990s.Looked really promising yesterday though.Always been one of my favourite riders so I hope he has a good season..

Kinda shocked that the Honda was beating the Ducati in a straight line though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

bladespin wrote: »
    You're joking, aren't you?
    There's such a friendly vibe between the two of them, unlike say... Brundle and Legard. Between Cox and Parrish, they've done Superbike, BTCC and truck racing. It's not like they've come straight from The Den :)
    did anyone ever watch moto gp and f1 when they where on rte what a joke
    Peter Collins did the MotoGP for RTE (do they still have it?) and while he's no Martin Brundle, he was listenable. The same can't be said for the jokers on Setanta, those guys would put you to sleep before the formation lap had finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

There's such a friendly vibe between the two of them, unlike say... Brundle and Legard. Between Cox and Parrish, they've done Superbike, BTCC and truck racing. It's not like they've come straight from The Den :)

You would think they could tell Lorenzo and Rossi apart then, it's not particularly difficult, especially then one has a big 46 on the front.

TBH I stopped watching the races on BBC after a couple of rounds preferring to wait the hour or so for Eurosport, their reporting was just that bad. Friendly, yes, knowledge, total failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

apparently the reason Rossi ran out of fuel was because of the rear tyre spinning badly during the race

• Advertisement

Peter Collins did the MotoGP for RTE (do they still have it?) and while he's no Martin Brundle, he was listenable. The same can't be said for the jokers on Setanta, those guys would put you to sleep before the formation lap had finished.

thats him peter collins so bad i couldnt listen to him,thankfully no they dont have it anymore ,the worse thing is it was a rerun and the commentating id asume was dubbed in ,so he had time to do some homework on the sport ha ha ha ,

aye i was getting that feeling reading alex briggs twitter

from mcn
    The Japanese MotoGP race, scheduled to take place at the Twin Ring Motegi next weekend (April 25), has been postponed until early October because of on-going European travel chaos caused by an Icelandic volcano, MCN can reveal.

The Twin Ring Motegi race, which was due to be the second of 18 races on the 2010 MotoGP calendar, will now run on October 3 after crisis talks were held by Dorna management. The race will now be round 14 and run before the Malaysian GP in Sepang on October 10 and the Australian GP at Phillip Island on October 17.

The cancellation means the next round of the MotoGP world championship will be the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez on May 2.

Most of Europe has been a no-fly zone since Thursday after plumes of ash were blown over five miles into the air after the eruption of the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano grounded thousands of flights.

The travel crisis has now hit MotoGP, with hundreds of people from the paddock unable to travel to the Far East.

Most team staff and riders would have left on flights bound for Tokyo today (Sunday), Monday and Tuesday, but there is still no assurance from experts that flights will be able to resume in the next few days.

One of the most seriously affected flight zones has been the UK, with virtually every flight cancelled for the last four days and no end in sight to the chaos that has impacted on millions of travellers.

and motomatters.com
    The cloud of volcanic as which hangs invisibly over Northern Europe has claimed its first victim in the shape of a major sporting event. The disruption and cancellation of 80% of flights around Europe has caused the Motegi round of MotoGP, due to take place next Sunday, April 25th, to be canceled and rescheduled for October 3rd.

Reports of problems started to emerge earlier this weekend, as MotoMatters.com reported yesterday. Teams - most of whom are based in Europe, and were therefore caught up in the air travel chaos - reported they were monitoring the situation closely, hoping for improvement, and trying to reschedule flights as soon as possible. Dorna had even gone so far as to charter two wide body jets, capable of flying 600 people to Japan directly, to avoid teams getting caught up in the snarl of international air traffic.

But last night, according to GPOne.com, Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta started phoning round team bosses to investigate whether the teams could get enough of their staff to Spain and Italy to fly out to Japan. But there were some teams for whom even this would be impossible, and it was decided to call off the entire event. Contacting team managers, team members and everyone involved has been extremely difficult, as even MotoGP teams like to have a weekend off. Indeed, our own attempts to contact teams has proven difficult, with only some teams managing to respond to your requests, and conflicting information from those who did reply. Eventually, though, it became clear that the event had been canceled.

The rescheduling of the race will not meet with much enthusiasm in the paddock, however. Running the Japanese Grand Prix on October 3rd will put all three flyaway races on back-to-back weekends once again, leaving the teams and riders facing long haul flights from Japan to Malaysia, then from Malaysia to Australia on two consecutive Mondays. That grueling travel schedule, combined with time zone shifts, makes it difficult for teams and riders to perform at the level they need to for a MotoGP weekend. The alternative - complete cancellation, and another year of 17 Grand Prix - would not have been acceptable, however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Dear Iceland,

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think Rossi will be happy enough with that postponement - he injured himself in a MotoCross incident!

From Eurosport:

"MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi has been diagnosed with 'minor injuries' after falling from his motocross bike.The Italian, winner of the opening round of 2010 season last weekend in Qatar, was training on Thursday near Pesaro when he suffered the spill.
    Feeling pain in his back on Friday morning, Rossi decided to go for a medical check, whereupon x-rays confirmed that the 31-year-old racing legend had suffered some bruising.
    The Fiat Yamaha rider will thus be fit to defend his early championship lead in next weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Wasn't too bad a race for the first of the season. Pity Stoner fell so early but you have to keep it on the road if you want to win. Rossi controlled the race from then on. A great ride from Nicky and it would be nice to see him get a few good results this year. A good ride from Lorenzo too and you could see how happy he was with second place. It might make a difference later in the season as I'd say it'll be close enough this year, hopefully anyway. Ben Spies looked good too and I'd say he'll be on the podium this year at some stage and if he gets a factory bike next year he could be a contender. He has the speed and a good temprement and he's not afraid to pass.
    Three realistic contenders for the title this year I think: Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo. Pedroza might win the odd race but to be honest I've never seen him as a title contender. I don't think he has the bottle if it comes down to a straight fight on the track. Once he gets passed the race is over for him. He never usually re-takes the lead once he's been passed. The other three are not afraid to fight it out on the track, Pedroza is more of a time-trialist than a racer.
    Looking forward to the season although this year I've no Eurosport so have to watch it on the BBC. I don't mind the BBC boys but prefer the Eurosport duo.

Cool.
    I am not a Stoner fan as I think he has dreams of being some untouchable hero figure in racing, without wining the races. Was he really sick ? Did he have to take time off ?
    Is he a girl's blouse ?

Anyway I hope Stoner comes back on form - it will make for some good racing.

This has to be a wind up but just in case:

Was he really sick ? Yes.

Did he have to take time off ? Considering that he came back and blew everyone else away on his return I'd say it was a brilliant call to take the time off as his illness was affecting his ability to win races.

Is he a girl's blouse ? LOL :rolleyes:

Wasn't too bad a race for the first of the season. Pity Stoner fell so early but you have to keep it on the road if you want to win. Rossi controlled the race from then on. A great ride from Nicky and it would be nice to see him get a few good results this year. A good ride from Lorenzo too and you could see how happy he was with second place. It might make a difference later in the season as I'd say it'll be close enough this year, hopefully anyway. Ben Spies looked good too and I'd say he'll be on the podium this year at some stage and if he gets a factory bike next year he could be a contender. He has the speed and a good temprement and he's not afraid to pass.
    Three realistic contenders for the title this year I think: Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo. Pedroza might win the odd race but to be honest I've never seen him as a title contender. I don't think he has the bottle if it comes down to a straight fight on the track. Once he gets passed the race is over for him. He never usually re-takes the lead once he's been passed. The other three are not afraid to fight it out on the track, Pedroza is more of a time-trialist than a racer.
    Looking forward to the season although this year I've no Eurosport so have to watch it on the BBC. I don't mind the BBC boys but prefer the Eurosport duo.

This has to be a wind up but just in case:

Was he really sick ? Yes.

Did he have to take time off ? Considering that he came back and blew everyone else away on his return I'd say it was a brilliant call to take the time off as his illness was affecting his ability to win races.

Is he a girl's blouse ? LOL :rolleyes:

in fairness he doesnt get in many scraps just because he has the power of the ducati ,but anytime he has he hasnt been very great ,remember the scrap he and rossi had in usa fantastic race ,he later whinged about rossi taking all these crazy lines and that ,thats racing motherf**ker..so he is a bit of a blouse

in fairness he doesnt get in many scraps just because he has the power of the ducati ,but anytime he has he hasnt been very great ,remember the scrap he and rossi had in usa fantastic race ,he later whinged about rossi taking all these crazy lines and that ,thats racing motherf**ker..so he is a bit of a blouse

I repeat once again LOL :rolleyes::o

I do not know how anyone can not rate Casey Stoner, he is an unbelievable rider. He was exceptional in the smaller classes-he had some issues with crashing but that had a lot to do with him starting on a 250 and a reputation developing, he was the only rider capable of challenging Pedrosa's Honda in 250s finishing second with five wins and ten podiums from 16 races and when he raced the unfacnied KTM in 125s he gave it its first win and had six podiums.

To anyone who says he cant battle hard what about Philip Island last year? He went toe to toe with Rossi-at Rossi's favourate track and beat him, he has done the same many times in the lower classes as well against the like of de Puniet and Alex di Angelis, two of the hardest chargers in the paddock

• Advertisement

I do not know how anyone can not rate Casey Stoner, he is an unbelievable rider. He was exceptional in the smaller classes-he had some issues with crashing but that had a lot to do with him starting on a 250 and a reputation developing, he was the only rider capable of challenging Pedrosa's Honda in 250s finishing second with five wins and ten podiums from 16 races and when he raced the unfacnied KTM in 125s he gave it its first win and had six podiums.

To anyone who says he cant battle hard what about Philip Island last year? He went toe to toe with Rossi-at Rossi's favourate track and beat him, he has done the same many times in the lower classes as well against the like of de Puniet and Alex di Angelis, two of the hardest chargers in the paddock

The Rossi fanboys don't want to rate anybody else. They only have eyes for him, hence their attempts to belittle anyone else with talent. I would liken it to somebody that follows a particular team. They blindly follow that team and will accept no criticism from others. 'Blinkered' would be my description of these people. Already Stoner has been called a 'girls blouse' by some posters. Incredible really when you think how he earns his living. It's sort of embarrasing to read these kind of comments but I guess on the internet everyones an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I wouldn't call anyone who races motorbikes at the highest level a girl's blouse. :o

If the criteria is whinging after a race they all must be one.

The Rossi fanboys don't want to rate anybody else. They only have eyes for him, hence their attempts to belittle anyone else with talent. I would liken it to somebody that follows a particular team. They blindly follow that team and will accept no criticism from others. 'Blinkered' would be my description of these people. Already Stoner has been called a 'girls blouse' by some posters. Incredible really when you think how he earns his living. It's sort of embarrasing to read these kind of comments but I guess on the internet everyones an expert.

not true for me. yes big rossi fan, but i have great admiration for them all and am a fan of a few other riders ,this is not football remember the fans dont hate the other riders usually ,so dont compare it, these are real athletes not whinging babies more like men of steel.and im aware i called stoner a whinger but a diffrent level of whinging compared to footballers . i dont hate stoner i just dont see him as someone who canT hack alot of pressure sometimes he prefers to just bolt off without any scraps wheras most of the rest seem like the fight for their position .rossi even puposely lets someone past sometimes too watch them and fight with em .before stoner got on the ducati he wasnt great in moto gp .and i didnt really pay attention to him in earlier classes so i cant really coment on that

not true for me. yes big rossi fan, but i have great admiration for them all and am a fan of a few other riders ,this is not football remember the fans dont hate the other riders usually ,so dont compare it, these are real athletes not whinging babies more like men of steel.and im aware i called stoner a whinger but a diffrent level of whinging compared to footballers . i dont hate stoner i just dont see him as someone who can hack alot of pressure sometimes he prefers to just bolt off without any scraps wheras most of the rest seem like the fight for their position .rossi even puposely lets someone past sometimes too watch them and fight with em .before stoner got on the ducati he wasnt great in moto gp .and i didnt really pay attention to him in earlier classes so i cant really coment on that

Before he got on the Ducati he was a rookie on a satellite Honda, I don't think its fair to criticise him for crashing/making mistakes as a rookie. He qualified exceptionally well averaging eighth which I took as being very impressive.

He shouldn't be criticised for 'bolting off without any scraps wheras most of the rest seem like the fight for their position' everyone would prefer to be able to ride away from the pack and have an easy day out front, Rossi has done so time and time again too. Rossi doesn't let people through to purposely have a fight with them-its because he wants to know where he is stronger than them and see where he can make a move at the end. He would prefer to be five seconds up the road on them rather than battling it out on the last lap

i dunno i personnaly dont find him great to watch alot of his talent i think comes to his bike ,wheras its more exciting to watch the rest of the field .than someone just in no mans land on there own scampering away .

alot of his talent i think comes to his bike .

so if its all the bike where were the rest of the Ducatis last year

Grim. wrote: »
    so if its all the bike where were the rest of the Ducatis last year

exatly ..so maybe its a conspiracy or there doing something ileagal .no just joking.allthough!!

well the other ducati team dont have the same power or setups or the parts that the other one do

and hayden i would imagine doesnt have the same setup as stoner and always looked like the bike had no power compared to casey haydens a good racer and confident so he wouldnt be slacking he be pushing it .

but looks like he has a similar power this year not what casey has but nearly there .so all the bikes are diffrent

exatly ..so maybe its a conspiracy or there doing something ileagal .no just joking.allthough!!

well the other ducati team dont have the same power or setups or the parts that the other one do

and hayden i would imagine doesnt have the same setup as stoner and always looked like the bike had no power compared to casey haydens a good racer and confident so he wouldnt be slacking he be pushing it .

but looks like he has a similar power this year not what casey has but nearly there .so all the bikes are diffrent

No offence but your'e talking cobblers there.

Casey has been teamed with Loris Capirossi, Marco Melandri, Mika Kallio, Nicky Hayden on the works bike. Stoner has never been touched by any of them. All of those riders, with the exception of Kallio(who contended for) have won world titles and multiple grand prix.

People need to realise just how special Stoner is because he alone has managed to make the 800 Ducati a race winner when no one else could ride it fast. His teammates couldn't adjust their riding style to the bike and that was why they struggled, there was no way that Ducati gave them less powerful engines or restricted them in any way

no youre right he has done that and i think the new bike was built around him so it suits his style ovbiously better ,as has rossi done the same and had two bikes built around him.

i dont really want to get techinical ,and im not bashing stoner just saying i dont find him exciting to watch .sometimes it may aswell only be about 2nd place

• Advertisement

this is not football remember the fans dont hate the other riders usually ,so dont compare it

It most certainly is not football, thank God!
    As you can see if you read back over my comment I didn't even mention football, so obviously I wasn't comparing it to that ;).

Advertisement