Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOBS IN WATERFORD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Godsentme wrote: »
    I take on board it's exploitation and theres a lot of it about these days. the cute hoors are still with us. But lousy as it is it will be on your'e cv as being working. And employers will have more regard for you at an interview to see you were prepared to work for nothing rather than just stagnate.

Thanks for your response im not sure yet what to do to be honest. Hopefully someone lurking in the thread has worked their and give me some advice on what it is like to work their.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

Godsentme wrote: »
    I take on board it's exploitation and theres a lot of it about these days. the cute hoors are still with us. But lousy as it is it will be on your'e cv as being working. And employers will have more regard for you at an interview to see you were prepared to work for nothing rather than just stagnate.

I have to agree with this. I am currently doing a WPP and getting good experience with a very good chance of being kept on. Don't get me wrong; it is disheartening to work for nothing extra on top of the dole, but it does look good on the CV. There could also be the prospect of paid employment from the WPP (something you should not be afraid to ask in the interview :)). Best of luck!

Would like peoples opinions on this. I dont drive and its very far out i could cycle but paying lunches or if i get lifts would cut into my dole money and im struggling as it is. Is it worth holding out trying to get a paying job. I just dont know if i would last 6 months working for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

That's a fairly raw deal, would they not give you extra money for travel expenses like they would in a fas course?

Kitty_Ears wrote: »
    That's a fairly raw deal, would they not give you extra money for travel expenses like they would in a fas course?

The job was advertised on the FAS website but its not a course. So i dont knoe if i would get a bit extra. I dont want to go enquiring about if i will get extra money also incase i get offered the job and turn it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

TBH I would (and in fact did) run a mile when offered a WPP. They're nothing but employers exploiting people who are in a hard place at the moment. I have a major issue with them as they are just govt. massaging of the live register figures, assisting in the race to the bottom, and holding back the creation of actual jobs. (Why would an employer pay out a full wage or even a part time wage, when they can get some eager person in to work for free for 37 hrs a week?)

I have a degree and over a decade's working career behind me, and was told of a "job" that would suit me down to the ground and would tide me over for a while. When I rang up about it, turned out it was a WPP, basically answering phones and reception type work, yer wan was trying to spin me a line that it was fulfilling work and I'd get soooo much training and experience etc. :rolleyes:

I told her I already had plenty of experience answering phones (not putting down reception work as it's something I did before when younger and would have no problem doing again, but for a wage) and asked her what her plan was as regards actually paying a wage to someone to do this work when the WPP placement ran out (as in, did she have any plans to take on someone who "proved" themselves during "training"). Well that struck her dumb. So obvious she thought this was a great scheme to subsidise employers to get free labour and had no intention of ever actually paying to employ anyone at the end of their "training". She admitted as much when I said I would do the job for a wage, not for free, and was giggling about how you had to try to get away with not shelling out for such things as "labour".

That's the attitude of just one employer - I guarantee you while there are some genuine opportunities there with employers who may give you some valuable experience and training (I'm thinking of some WPPs like graphic design places offering recent grads some actual graphic design experience), most of the other WPPs are not, look on the ranting and raving forum, or the work and jobs forum for similar tales from people actually working a WPP - promised great training prospects, in reality spending 39 hrs a week making tea and filing, stocking shelves etc. and being severely out of pocket from trying to travel into work 5 days a week/buy decent work clothes etc while squeaking by on dole money which is supposed to only be a subsistence amount of money.

If they even ran it in a similar vein to a CE scheme - i.e. work 20 hours a week so you're free to try to get other part time work that is paid, and perhaps a top-up of a few euro to help cover travel/lunch etc, then it might be a viable scheme. As it stands, places are looking for people with x amount of experience/x type of qualifications behind them to work a full working week for free, for a scheme that is supposed to give people experience.

echosound wrote: »
    TBH I would (and in fact did) run a mile when offered a WPP. They're nothing but employers exploiting people who are in a hard place at the moment. I have a major issue with them as they are just govt. massaging of the live register figures, assisting in the race to the bottom, and holding back the creation of actual jobs. (Why would an employer pay out a full wage or even a part time wage, when they can get some eager person in to work for free for 37 hrs a week?)

I have a degree and over a decade's working career behind me, and was told of a "job" that would suit me down to the ground and would tide me over for a while. When I rang up about it, turned out it was a WPP, basically answering phones and reception type work, yer wan was trying to spin me a line that it was fulfilling work and I'd get soooo much training and experience etc. :rolleyes:

I told her I already had plenty of experience answering phones (not putting down reception work as it's something I did before when younger and would have no problem doing again, but for a wage) and asked her what her plan was as regards actually paying a wage to someone to do this work when the WPP placement ran out (as in, did she have any plans to take on someone who "proved" themselves during "training"). Well that struck her dumb. So obvious she thought this was a great scheme to subsidise employers to get free labour and had no intention of ever actually paying to employ anyone at the end of their "training". She admitted as much when I said I would do the job for a wage, not for free, and was giggling about how you had to try to get away with not shelling out for such things as "labour".

That's the attitude of just one employer - I guarantee you while there are some genuine opportunities there with employers who may give you some valuable experience and training (I'm thinking of some WPPs like graphic design places offering recent grads some actual graphic design experience), most of the other WPPs are not, look on the ranting and raving forum, or the work and jobs forum for similar tales from people actually working a WPP - promised great training prospects, in reality spending 39 hrs a week making tea and filing, stocking shelves etc. and being severely out of pocket from trying to travel into work 5 days a week/buy decent work clothes etc while squeaking by on dole money which is supposed to only be a subsistence amount of money.

If they even ran it in a similar vein to a CE scheme - i.e. work 20 hours a week so you're free to try to get other part time work that is paid, and perhaps a top-up of a few euro to help cover travel/lunch etc, then it might be a viable scheme. As it stands, places are looking for people with x amount of experience/x type of qualifications behind them to work a full working week for free, for a scheme that is supposed to give people experience.

Thanks i was told if work out the 6 months if i impress i will get a job. But what if i dont impress i cant really see myself being all nice and motivated when im losing out on money from travel and clothes etc and sitting beside someone getting a full wage every week doing the same work. Im getting the phone call either after 5 or in the morning and i honestly dont know what my answer is. Some people say its a job and could get you a contract in 6 months. Others say stick it out and keep looking for a paying job, you couldnt work for nothing. Personally i need experience but i also need sanity and would go off my head i think working for free. I just dont know 40 hours a week, it really should be 20 hours maybe it wouldnt be as bad its meant to be work experience not slave labour. Ah what to do if i turn it down i will never here the end of it from people saying i dont want a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭iluvcake

Hi Nuts102

Last year I did a Fás WPP2, had been on the dole for the required 9 months (it's now 3 months I think) so felt it was my last option to get a job, experience etc. At the time I had a few friends saying to me why wouldn't I take any job that was going, I told them that I was holding out to get a WPP2 in a Solicitors office as legal secretary, which eventually happened!
    I know it sounds terrible having to work for nothing, especially as you have a degree that won't be put to use in this WPP, but in a way I'm glad I did it.
    It gave me my sanity back as regards getting back to work and a routine after being on the dole and feeling worthless and useless while applying for jobs on a daily basis and a lot of the time, not even getting replies from agencies.
    There isn't any extra benefits to claim except if you're renting somewhere, part of your rent is covered. I didn't get any extra for travel expenses or to purchase work clothes etc. If anything, the experience thought me I can live off €196 a week as well as paying household bills, tax, insurance, food shopping etc.
    I was eventually offered a job when the wpp ended, so it wasn't a bad wpp experience for me.
    You can leave at any time during the wpp if you find a job that pays.
    It's completely up to yourself obviously, but if you take it, you can get experience and keep job hunting until something better turns up.

Hope my long winded story helped you a bit!

iluvcake wrote: »
    Hi Nuts102

Last year I did a Fás WPP2, had been on the dole for the required 9 months (it's now 3 months I think) so felt it was my last option to get a job, experience etc. At the time I had a few friends saying to me why wouldn't I take any job that was going, I told them that I was holding out to get a WPP2 in a Solicitors office as legal secretary, which eventually happened!
    I know it sounds terrible having to work for nothing, especially as you have a degree that won't be put to use in this WPP, but in a way I'm glad I did it.
    It gave me my sanity back as regards getting back to work and a routine after being on the dole and feeling worthless and useless while applying for jobs on a daily basis and a lot of the time, not even getting replies from agencies.
    There isn't any extra benefits to claim except if you're renting somewhere, part of your rent is covered. I didn't get any extra for travel expenses or to purchase work clothes etc. If anything, the experience thought me I can live off €196 a week as well as paying household bills, tax, insurance, food shopping etc.
    I was eventually offered a job when the wpp ended, so it wasn't a bad wpp experience for me.
    You can leave at any time during the wpp if you find a job that pays.
    It's completely up to yourself obviously, but if you take it, you can get experience and keep job hunting until something better turns up.

Hope my long winded story helped you a bit!

Hi,

Well the girl interviewing told me that she was not training me up for no reason, so if i take the job i better be serious about it. This is whats making me feel trapped about it, i can understand not wanting to train someone and they leave but at least give them a wage so they have an incentive to stay. If i dont enjoy it and leave then the dole will be on my back for walking out of a job, just really dont know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Nuts102 wrote: »
    i cant really see myself being all nice and motivated when im losing out on money from travel and clothes etc and sitting beside someone getting a full wage every week doing the same work.......

Personally i need experience but i also need sanity and would go off my head i think working for free. I just dont know 40 hours a week, it really should be 20 hours maybe it wouldnt be as bad its meant to be work experience not slave labour......Ah what to do if i turn it down i will never here the end of it from people saying i dont want a job.

Look at the above quotes - if you already feel so crappy about the idea of having to work a 40 hour week for free while the person beside you is getting a full wage for the same work, think about how you're going to feel actually doing it, 2,3,4 months in.

I would only consider a WPP if you really really wanted to work in that area like Iluvcake did with the solicitor's office WPP and wouldn't mind working for free for a while. Along the lines of say, someone hoping to get into broadcasting working for a community radio station voluntarily. (and BTW it's great to see that some WPPs do what they are supposed to and get the person into the area they want to work in, so kudos to Iluvcake for that :)).

Also I would only consider it if it would leave me still able to pay rent/mortgage, bills, feed myself etc. after paying for transport etc. No point in putting money into an employer's pocket and leaving yourself totally skint and in a bind, falling behind with your bills etc. even though you're working fulltime. They won't care that you're struggling with bills, at the end of the day you're just a number to them and easily replaced (as is the way with most jobs).

As for anyone who might start up with the whole "you obviously don't want a job", if they're currently working themselves, ask them if they'd mind working their full week and handing up their paypacket to you at the end of it seeing as they don't seem to have a problem working 40 hrs a week for free. Or ask them if they want to quit their job and go do a WPP if they're such a great way to further their career. Or ask them for 30/40 quid a week to help you pay for transport to and from the job if it's so pivotal to your future prospects. I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out if they're that worried about your working life.
    If they don't have a job, well then they're just in the same boat as yourself anyway!

Anyway, never mind what other people think - it's you that's going to have to do the 8 hrs a day, it's your life and your happiness or lack of it, so until someone is willing to offer to go and join you doing it, or help you out financially to do it, they don't get to say anything to you.

Seriously - if you think you will enjoy the work and get good experience, then go for it, but if you have serious misgivings already then maybe it's not the right option for you.

The position is trainee sales exec? So you're prob going to be either pounding the streets trying to get some B2B sales in, or you'll be basically phoning up businesses trying to sell your product. TBH, I'd go for a job in rigney dolphin over cold-calling businesses on the phone on a WPP, as you'll get the same work experience there dealing with customers in a call centre but you'll get paid for it. My official title while I was working p/t in a Dublin Eircom call centre as a student was "sales exec" too, and TBH you're only a trainee for the first 2 weeks (whilst getting paid I might add), then you're a fully fledged "sales exec" getting a regular wage, so 6 months working for free seems a bit long to be training someone up if it does prove to be work along the lines I mentioned.

I know I'm rambling on a bit (just a bit :P) here, but you seem to be up in a heap worrying about it, and I'd hate to see some young enthusiastic person spending 6 months of their life feeling like crap, out of pocket and being taken advantage of just because you felt pressurised into taking this on by others. Of course, feel free to ignore anything I've said if you do think it might be a good opportunity (I don't know the company, or the actual role you'll have, or what work you want to end up doing, so it could be that it suits you to a tee and you'd love it). I'm just throwing up a few opinions here for you to consider, as it's good to have a sounding board to throw your thoughts up against. You've also gotten good advice and positive outlooks coming from iluvcake, so you have both sides of the coin to consider.

Whatever you decide, the very best of luck and I really hope you get sorted with something soon :)

• Advertisement

echosound wrote: »
    Look at the above quotes - if you already feel so crappy about the idea of having to work a 40 hour week for free while the person beside you is getting a full wage for the same work, think about how you're going to feel actually doing it, 2,3,4 months in.

I would only consider a WPP if you really really wanted to work in that area like Iluvcake did with the solicitor's office WPP and wouldn't mind working for free for a while. Along the lines of say, someone hoping to get into broadcasting working for a community radio station voluntarily. (and BTW it's great to see that some WPPs do what they are supposed to and get the person into the area they want to work in, so kudos to Iluvcake for that :)).

Also I would only consider it if it would leave me still able to pay rent/mortgage, bills, feed myself etc. after paying for transport etc. No point in putting money into an employer's pocket and leaving yourself totally skint and in a bind, falling behind with your bills etc. even though you're working fulltime. They won't care that you're struggling with bills, at the end of the day you're just a number to them and easily replaced (as is the way with most jobs).

As for anyone who might start up with the whole "you obviously don't want a job", if they're currently working themselves, ask them if they'd mind working their full week and handing up their paypacket to you at the end of it seeing as they don't seem to have a problem working 40 hrs a week for free. Or ask them if they want to quit their job and go do a WPP if they're such a great way to further their career. Or ask them for 30/40 quid a week to help you pay for transport to and from the job if it's so pivotal to your future prospects. I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out if they're that worried about your working life.
    If they don't have a job, well then they're just in the same boat as yourself anyway!

Anyway, never mind what other people think - it's you that's going to have to do the 8 hrs a day, it's your life and your happiness or lack of it, so until someone is willing to offer to go and join you doing it, or help you out financially to do it, they don't get to say anything to you.

Seriously - if you think you will enjoy the work and get good experience, then go for it, but if you have serious misgivings already then maybe it's not the right option for you.

The position is trainee sales exec? So you're prob going to be either pounding the streets trying to get some B2B sales in, or you'll be basically phoning up businesses trying to sell your product. TBH, I'd go for a job in rigney dolphin over cold-calling businesses on the phone on a WPP, as you'll get the same work experience there dealing with customers in a call centre but you'll get paid for it. My official title while I was working p/t in a Dublin Eircom call centre as a student was "sales exec" too, and TBH you're only a trainee for the first 2 weeks (whilst getting paid I might add), then you're a fully fledged "sales exec" getting a regular wage, so 6 months working for free seems a bit long to be training someone up if it does prove to be work along the lines I mentioned.

I know I'm rambling on a bit (just a bit :P) here, but you seem to be up in a heap worrying about it, and I'd hate to see some young enthusiastic person spending 6 months of their life feeling like crap, out of pocket and being taken advantage of just because you felt pressurised into taking this on by others. Of course, feel free to ignore anything I've said if you do think it might be a good opportunity (I don't know the company, or the actual role you'll have, or what work you want to end up doing, so it could be that it suits you to a tee and you'd love it). I'm just throwing up a few opinions here for you to consider, as it's good to have a sounding board to throw your thoughts up against. You've also gotten good advice and positive outlooks coming from iluvcake, so you have both sides of the coin to consider.

Whatever you decide, the very best of luck and I really hope you get sorted with something soon :)

Thanks very much its the best post i have seen in a long time and i appreciate your ramblings:pac:. Yes the role is making sales on the phone which being honest doesnt appeal too much, i dont think it would suit me. I applied because in frustration i sent out alot of CV's expecting too hear nothing back as usual. Everyone i know hates getting phone calls from people trying to sell. I agree what you say i would not mind if it was even maybe a month as work experience. But 6 months i think is exploitation after probably a week i would be fully trained and doing the same work as everyone else. They want me to basically guarantee i will stay long term because they dont want to train me up and than me leave. So basically they want me too commit myself to them long term but wont pay me for 6 months. Maybe if it was a dream job i could hack it out for 6 months but its not a job that you need 6 months experience before you can make some money. I will be getting a phone call tomorrow to see if i got it and i decided i wont take it. Your post has helped me not rush into a mistake and instead of getting frustrated i will search for my dream job.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭iluvcake

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Thanks very much its the best post i have seen in a long time and i appreciate your ramblings:pac:. Yes the role is making sales on the phone which being honest doesnt appeal too much, i dont think it would suit me. I applied because in frustration i sent out alot of CV's expecting too hear nothing back as usual. Everyone i know hates getting phone calls from people trying to sell. I agree what you say i would not mind if it was even maybe a month as work experience. But 6 months i think is exploitation after probably a week i would be fully trained and doing the same work as everyone else. They want me to basically guarantee i will stay long term because they dont want to train me up and than me leave. So basically they want me too commit myself to them long term but wont pay me for 6 months. Maybe if it was a dream job i could hack it out for 6 months but its not a job that you need 6 months experience before you can make some money. I will be getting a phone call tomorrow to see if i got it and i decided i wont take it. Your post has helped me not rush into a mistake and instead of getting frustrated i will search for my dream job.

Just wondering did you get that phone call??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Any chefs looking for work at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

Any chefs looking for work at the mo?

I know of one! Got any more info?

drop me a pm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

My bad, he just got a new job.

All good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Right I might be a bit off-topic here ASKING if anyone has a job but it worked for me the last time so...
    Anyways Im on my summer holidays now and Im free until 7th July. If anyones knows any part-time jobs (tall ship dates for example) going drop me a pm. Oh yeah Im 17, just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Right I might be a bit off-topic here ASKING if anyone has a job but it worked for me the last time so...
    Anyways Im on my summer holidays now and Im free until 7th July. If anyones knows any part-time jobs (tall ship dates for example) going drop me a pm. Oh yeah Im 17, just in case :)
    http://www.recruitireland.com/job/general-operative-stewards-waterford/14467557/ its up since the fifth of june dunno if the positions have been filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 VioletAisling

Dunnes Stores in City Square are hiring. No idea if it's full or part-time! Just ask for applications at the customer service desk! I've to hand mine in tomorrow *fingers crossed* for a summer job.

• Advertisement

Got the job in Rigney Dolphin ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Kitty_Ears wrote: »
    Got the job in Rigney Dolphin ^_^

Congrats.

iluvcake wrote: »
    Just wondering did you get that phone call??

Hi,

Didnt get offered the job being honest i presume they got the vibe from me that i was unsure. But chin up send out a few more Cv's and fingers crossed something will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

subz3r0 wrote: »

Centra on the quay were looking for looking for a few people for the Tall Ships, try there perhaps? Hopefully the places havent been filled, be no harm in going in asking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 goldilox4

sorry for asking for jobs like the person already...im 18 need a job, anything really, free for the whole summer till end of august...i would do a few days for free even just to get some experience as it hard to get a job when you have little experience..have just finished the leaving cert...if anyone has anything...thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Anyone heard that Bausch And Lomb are hireing for weekend shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Got a call from p-cubed today, have interview on monday. Call centres suck but I need the cash :P

• Advertisement

Two interviews this week if nothing else its interview practice both placements again. But i might be interested in the placement in the VEC grants office. I presume woud be good money if kept on. They might throw me a few pound extra as its a goverment job.

Advertisement