Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOBS IN WATERFORD.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

What's the story with those placements? Do FAS pay you? Or do you just work for free but get your dole as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

What's the story with those placements? Do FAS pay you? Or do you just work for free but get your dole as normal?

Fairly sure just get your dole. Makes FAS look good for getting people working for nothing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

My understanding is that Fás pay you so your taken off the live register but it comes in at the same as your Dole.

from what I can see I think allot of companies are using it for cheap labour when it should be used for givig people experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

ziedth wrote: »
    My understanding is that Fás pay you so your taken off the live register but it comes in at the same as your Dole.

from what I can see I think allot of companies are using it for cheap labour when it should be used for givig people experience.
    totally agree with you on the experience thing for fans of the wire this is known as DUKING THE STATS.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 XBubbliBunniX

Just found out I got a job for the tall ships!! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Just found out I got a job for the tall ships!! :):)

Congrats!

I think you have to be at least 18....im not 100% on this tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I applied yesterday.. will hopefully get a reply from them. :)

• Advertisement

I got a call from them i think it was two days after I applied for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 afee_wils2011

Does anyone know if the Engineering course in FAS any good?? Would you get a job out of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

emerald isle chipper on the quay is looking for experienced counter staff for the tall ships, might get your foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I worked in a chippy once. Great fun.

Does anyone know if the Engineering course in FAS any good?? Would you get a job out of it??
    dunno much bout that course but i did the welding course years ago(did get a job from it) the instructors in there have the connections they prob know the factory managers but the way things are gone i'd say it could end with a placement and a foot in the door.i've seen lads on the welding course sent out to work placements after a few weeks welding and then coming back for the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

HB Kiosk in city square is looking for someone temp for the summer. (could have nice perks:D)

Yeah I would be hoping that my husband would get a job out of it. He has only ever worked in a meat factory and has no experience or education in anything else. He has sent out loads of CVs applied for loads of jobs but no one will even look at his CV because of lack of experience. If he got his foot in the door somewhere they would keep him on as he is a great worker, punctual, never out sick etc. He just needs that lucky chance lol

Yeah I would be hoping that my husband would get a job out of it. He has only ever worked in a meat factory and has no experience or education in anything else. He has sent out loads of CVs applied for loads of jobs but no one will even look at his CV because of lack of experience. If he got his foot in the door somewhere they would keep him on as he is a great worker, punctual, never out sick etc. He just needs that lucky chance lol

i'm in the same boat as your husband out of work since feb only had 1 interview and have only found bout 8 jobs that i could apply for and only got replies from 3 its brutal out there.really is who ya know now more than ever.

tsoparno wrote: »
    i'm in the same boat as your husband out of work since feb only had 1 interview and have only found bout 8 jobs that i could apply for and only got replies from 3 its brutal out there.really is who ya know now more than ever.

I know. It is definitely who you know and unfortunately it seems we don't know the right people. He is out 8 weeks now. He will take anything now. Best of luck hope something comes up for you

I know. It is definitely who you know and unfortunately it seems we don't know the right people. He is out 8 weeks now. He will take anything now. Best of luck hope something comes up for you

cheers keltech on the estate where looking for ops bout 2 wks ago could try there i did but not i reply yet.

• Advertisement

cheers keltech on the estate where looking for ops bout 2 wks ago could try there i did but not i reply yet.

Ah thanks he tried there already heard nothing either a friend told him they received 100 cvs in the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Done interview yesterday a 9 month contract work experience and no job at the end of it. I really dont think i could do that. I know its experience but 9 months where i would be doing a project and wouldnt be able to leave. Surely if anything this is going to prevent my chances of getting a paid job. I think i will do a computer course instead to freshen up my excel skills before my degree becomes worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Done interview yesterday a 9 month contract work experience and no job at the end of it. I really dont think i could do that. I know its experience but 9 months where i would be doing a project and wouldnt be able to leave. Surely if anything this is going to prevent my chances of getting a paid job. I think i will do a computer course instead to freshen up my excel skills before my degree becomes worthless.

9 months unpaid 'experience'???
    Slavery is alive and well in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Went to a store today to ask can I do work experience for the summer(im so bored). They said I can but I need to sort out my own insurance which is usually done by the CTI or whoever if your doing a course. I rung a few companies and was quoted €1000 to work for free for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

Ye wont want to work the way they do in there for the money on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

sands15 wrote: »
    Ye wont want to work the way they do in there for the money on offer

I applied for it although i was in two minds, shift work for minimum wage, is the work that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

Dump of a place.well it was when i worked there about ten years ago.

south wrote: »
    Dump of a place.well it was when i worked there about ten years ago.

six months on the dole and min wage starts being apealing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Do your apply direct to keltech? Ill take anything at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

Id say them jobs are gone by now but still up on fas.

They will be on your back in there all day, and i mean that stop watch on you to make sure you going flat out

Time sheet to be filled out in mins so they know how much of what you did for the day down to every last min

dont like giving the odd day off just not a nice place at all

Why do you think they have always bin looking for workers over the years people dont stay there

Advertisement