Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

I know but some of the questioning he and she asks its like you are expected to know to be accepted you know? Well thats the feeling I got. So is that part of the process to be interviewed by your own local SUPER should you make it?

Thanks G

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I think most people thought the interview went bad,rem he is a gard,he is used to questioning and making people uneasy,also most of us here are so honest we still feel:) strange being questioned by any Gardai,therefore are uneasy in comparison to a reg interview,Im sure you passed,I was the very same and am now being backround checked,had my interview with local sergeant not super as my town is too small for a super,it went well,he was grand too,so u should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

I think most people thought the interview went bad,rem he is a gard,he is used to questioning and making people uneasy,also most of us here are so honest we still feel:) strange being questioned by any Gardai,therefore are uneasy in comparison to a reg interview,Im sure you passed,I was the very same and am now being backround checked,had my interview with local sergeant not super as my town is too small for a super,it went well,he was grand too,so u should be grand.

Yeah your dead right, because like for me being asked "as a team leader what would you bring to the force" is ridiculous because me thinks only someone who holds a big roll in a job would be best at answering that. Also do you really get nothing when qualified as a reserve such as a retaining fee? I know you get expenses but thats only right anyway considering when having to travel down to templemore. But I still think I'd give it a go if accepted. Thanks leinster that makes me feel abit at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Thinking of applying for the reserve - would me being in college full time stop me from joining ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

CO19 wrote: »
    Thinking of applying for the reserve - would me being in college full time stop me from joining ?

Hey CO,
    Being in college won't effect you from joining at all. Im in college full time and just finished phase 3. It might interfer a small bit, but not to much

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies lads appreciate it ;),just thought that me being in college and only 20 they'd look at my application and go "this fella's only in college look at his age sure he'd have nothing to bring to it"

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

Thanks for all the replies lads appreciate it ;),just thought that me being in college and only 20 they'd look at my application and go "this fella's only in college look at his age sure he'd have nothing to bring to it"

CO10 you wont be discriminated on age or college. im just gone 19 (get told i look 16), im full-time in college. I have passed the reserve interview and i am waiting on my backround checks to be completed and a medical date.

i tink that proof you have nothing to worry about.

mbeire wrote: »
    CO10 you wont be discriminated on age or college. im just gone 19 (get told i look 16), im full-time in college. I have passed the reserve interview and i am waiting on my backround checks to be completed and a medical date.

i tink that proof you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for that mbeire,I'm the same as yourself I'm 20 look 16/17 :D.
    I've been reading most of the posts on this and doing community work of some kind really seems to be a big deal in the interview,did you get asked about community work if you don't mind me askin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

community involvement seemed to be the main focus of the interview alright.

volunteer work of any kind or involvement in a GAA club etc would be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

did you get asked about community work if you don't mind me askin ?

yea i got asked "how dose a community click" i live in a village so i was able to say that i know everyone in the community and everyone knows me. I was'nt in any community organisations like neighbour hood watch as there is none in my area but i did say that i am very watchfull of suspicious behaviour.

• Advertisement

I see,very good,so even if you aren't a current member of any community club/society at the moment but were at some point does that make a difference ? For example I was playing rugby for my school rugby team up until a year ago even though I had finished there a good 2 yrs I was asked by them would I come back and help them out as they were short on players so would this count as being involved in a club etc.
    Also I've had loads of work experience with the Gards,I spent my two terms of work experience that you get in 4th yr with them and also I'm regularly out with my uncle who is a Detctive Sgt so would this also be of any help in the interview etc ?
    Sorry for all the questions lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Thanks for that mbeire,I'm the same as yourself I'm 20 look 16/17 :D.
    I've been reading most of the posts on this and doing community work of some kind really seems to be a big deal in the interview,did you get asked about community work if you don't mind me askin ?

I don't think age plays a huge part in it because remember some canidates will be using the Reserves as a springboard into the full time Gardai .That said I do remember one guy here who posted in the earlier pages, who said he was turned down because he did not have a lot of life experience.
    Voluntary work in the community and teamworking seem to be the main thrust of most of the interviews however.Understandable because this is exactly the nature of the work in which you will be undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

I say its probably harder if you are young. i applied when i was 20, 21 now and on phase 4. things like being in the FCA help alot, or any thing along those lines. But i do know loads, who failed to get it due to experience. But in general they are really strict who gets in. there say its like 4-5% of who apply.
    Best of luck with the process!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

Hi guys i have my interview Wednesday. What type of questions should i prepare for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

I'm just wondering what's the setup for the interview like ? Is it held in an office or like a conference room (big or small room)? I have this image that you sit across from them like at a big conference table :D and do they have a waiting room for those doing the interview or do they all sit outside the room waiting to be called ?
    Also what are you expected to wear to it is it shirt,tie etc ?
    Thanks for any replies lads. ;)

Pretty straight forward,there could be only a few people for interview,wait in the coridoor outside the room,they tend to be well staggered so there shouldnt be loads of you,there could be a good few for waiting in line for the test though as you all do that together,interview is a med sized room with a nice rep from public service and a not as nice but not the worst Garda ex super,all straightforward,just be positive and stick to your own personality,dont try be what you think they want,the Garda will show little emotion so dont be put off he prob\ly cant help that ...good luck.

jasonos wrote: »
    Hi guys i have my interview Wednesday. What type of questions should i prepare for?

J how'd you get on today ?

Done ok in the interview.
    it was the report thing i thought was kind of tricky i had the beach. is there anyone here that had the beach in the test part of the interview

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Done ok in the interview.
    it was the report thing i thought was kind of tricky i had the beach. is there anyone here that had the beach in the test part of the interview

That's as far as I want to see this going. Don't start discussing actual scenarios that were presented to you as part of the interview.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    That's as far as I want to see this going. Don't start discussing actual scenarios that were presented to you as part of the interview.

Thanks.
    oops sorry man.

i just wanted to see if any others did that senario and i was going to see where i went wrong to learn from my mistakes for next time.
    the senarios were discussed at length in the start of this thread.

oops sorry man.

i just wanted to see if any others did that senario and i was going to see where i went wrong to learn from my mistakes for next time.

Sure you probably did grand so there won't need to be a next time ;)
    What were you asked about in the interview ? anything tricky ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

the senarios were discussed at length in the start of this thread.

This thread is now under a different forum and is subject to moderation. I don't think DeV et al need the Gardai complaining about their confidential recruitment scenarios being exposed.

So, from now on.. fair enough?

PSNI,fair point but if anyone checks the first few pages the info is still there,therefore this rule seems a bit odd to me.

It's gone now. Thanks for the heads up. ;)
    PSNI,fair point but if anyone checks the first few pages the info is still there,therefore this rule seems a bit odd to me.

thats fair enough ill post no more about it.

one thing though you will be busy in the garda recruitment thread because its in a load of pages there too.

ps that information is not confidential, of course people can discuss there exam/interview here we are not breaching any copy right laws.
    the only reason i see why it should be moderated is for fairness to future recruits.

Sure you probably did grand so there won't need to be a next time ;)
    What were you asked about in the interview ? anything tricky ?
    i was asked qestions like to do with team work and how it would be applied to the reserves. i was asked what kind of volentary work do i do. they asked me do i no the gardai in my community. they asked me what kind of volutary organisations are there for the elderly. they asked my questions on my job like would i be a leader and they asked would i prefer to be in a team or work by myself. they asked me what kind of difficulties have i faced and how did i deal with them they asked me what would type of challenges would a reserve meet. they asked me what would my least favourite part of the job be. they asked me how much time do i spend doing volentary work..

im sure there are more but i have forgotten. the whole interview was about 25 mins long and they were friendly.

Thanks for that J,seemed to be the usual type of interview they give.

of course people can discuss there exam/interview here we are not breaching any copy right laws.
    the only reason i see why it should be moderated is for fairness to future recruits.

You're wrong on 2 counts.

1. If the moderators say you can't discuss details of scenario-based questions from GS recruitment, then you can't discuss details of scenario-based questions from GS recruitment. We have the final say.

2. There are quite a few reasons why this thread needs to be moderated. If you have a problem with the way it's being moderated, click Sys/Feedback and tell the admins all about your grievance.

Please let this be the end of it.

• Advertisement

psni i think you are coming across agressive,you will put people off this thread.

Advertisement