Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[KEEP IT CIVIL] Wikileaks release Video of the murder of Iraqi civilians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

karma_ wrote: »
    can you cite the source for this information?

I find it hard to believe a cameraman would find it necessary to haul an RPG warhead round with him, cameras see generally don't need them.

Try one of my previous posts where I cite the bloody time reference for the full length video where one of the soldiers on the ground confirms the weapon.

I understand that you didn't read the thread, but did you at least watch the video?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Biggins wrote: »
    Steeping back a bit, there is a couple of things.

1. Its a war zone.
    2. There was men carrying weapons. Some appeared top be carrying weapons including an RPG: wb3zgn.jpg
    3. The camera men there surely had enough experience to know that if Gunships turn up and see an enemy with guns, they had better get the hell out of there fast and not just walk with the men as if they are on a Sunday stroll!
    4. The men in the gunship were not blood thirsty killers despite in this case unfortunate deaths.
    See this later frame alone (safe - not gruesome) that shows the mentality of the soldiers: 15mecmt.jpg

just in regards to point 2, i think it was later established there wasn't?

I believe the whole reason this happened was that the camera & the tripod the journos were carrying were 'misidentified' as being weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 oneintotwo

Deeply disappointing that accidental deaths should happen but there is one thing to remember:

When the modern forces kill innocents, they see it as a unforgivable sad mistake (irrespective of how their agencies handle it later)
    When the Taliban kill innocents, they see it as an immediate murdering victory!

Its all about perspective!

* I am NOT justifying what the Americans might have done or did later.

What are some examples of the Taliban killing innocent civilians and celebrating it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

just in regards to point 2, i think it was later established there wasn't?

I believe the whole reason this happened was that the camera & the tripod the journos were carrying were 'misidentified' as being weapons.

That might account for two. Not five: 1zzgg7n.jpg

Sheeps wrote: »
    Try one of my previous posts where I cite the bloody time reference for the full length video where one of the soldiers on the ground confirms the weapon.

I understand that you didn't read the thread, but did you at least watch the video?

No sheeps, you are seeing what you want to see, he clearly says 'what looks like an RPG warhead' at no time was that ever confirmed. In fact soon after that there is part of a conversation where an op. says 'maybe it was just a visual illusion but it looked like it' to which someone else replies 'well thy are dead, so.'

this implies to me that the mistake was recognised fairly soon after the incident.

• Advertisement

No sheeps, you are seeing what you want to see, he clearly says 'what looks like an RPG warhead' at no time was that ever confirmed. In fact soon after that there is part of a conversation where an op. says 'maybe it was just a visual illusion but it looked like it' to which someone else replies 'well thy are dead, so.'

this implies to me that the mistake was recognised fairly soon after the incident.

Ahaha, you actually didn't even watch the video. The driver in the one of the Humvees broadcast that he thought one of the bodies was a visual illusion because the drove over it. That was nothing to do with the weapons at all.
    18:29 I think they just drove over a body.
    18:31 Hey hey!
    18:32 Yeah!
    18:37 Maybe it was just a visual illusion, but it looked like it.
    18:41 Well, they're dead, so.

One of the soldiers then confirms that there's an RPG warhead underneath one of the corpses. Watch the video and then form an opinion instead of doing it the other way around.

oneintotwo wrote: »
    What are some examples of the Taliban killing innocent civilians and celebrating it?
    Don't be ridiculous. They don't go out and start letting off party poppers for fcuks sake - and I'm not saying it either.
    Every time they release propaganda garbage they try to justify the killing of civilians many times too.

If your head is still turned one way and thats just to bash Americans, I suggest you read at least one of the following examples (there's enough out there!) and get a wider education:

* http://www.siasat.com/english/news/taliban-killing-thousands-civilians
    * http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/taliban-bombs-kill-afghan-civilians-20100301-pbdu.html
    * http://en.trend.az/regions/world/afghanistan/1581794.html
    * http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/01/15/taliban-cause-most-civilian-deaths-but-u-s-gets-the-blame/

Its probably a waste of time though.

Ahaha, you actually didn't even watch the video. The driver in the one of the Humvees broadcast that he thought one of the bodies was a visual illusion because the drove over it. That was nothing to do with the weapons at all.

One of the soldiers then confirms that there's an RPG warhead underneath one of the corpses. Watch the video and then form an opinion instead of doing it the other way around.

well it's possible I picked that up wrong, I would have to watch it again but in truth I really don't have the heart to. Unlike yourself, I don't enjoy things like this.

well it's possible I picked that up wrong, I would have to watch it again but in truth I really don't have the heart to. Unlike yourself, I don't enjoy things like this.

You just love jumping to conclusions, don't you?

You just love jumping to conclusions, don't you?

Maybe the truth hurts just a little? Your first post in this thread told me all I needed to know about what you thought about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Mark200 wrote: »
    The Taliban are disgusting in the way they go on, and it's obviously wrong. But it's shocking how often people seem to forget that they are in fact actually fighting for a reason.
    Actually Afghanistan had been used as a political football between the US and USSR for years. The Taliban were funded and trained by the US (something they admitted to and the French Intelligence agencies have confirmed) so its not like US are running in here like the White Knights they like to think they are. More like cleaning up their own mess.
    But we are getting off point tbh, this is about Bagdad, civilians and Reuters Staff and not about the Taliban
    Also, crouching around a corner when there are US troops being fired upon and attack helicopters in the sky probably isn't acting suspicious at all.
    Can you tell me how you think they even know that there was some guys some place maybe receiving fire (I did not notice that on the vids, any warning of guys under attack before they started firing but open to correction). Plus these Apache Helicopters can attack from 3km away. You probably cant even hear them from that far away and even if you did they are 3k away ffs.
    Oh and come on man, a Photographer in a war zone peaking out from around a corner.... Maybe trying to not get shot and me think its standard practice man. Come on ffs

Can you tell me how you think they even know that there was some guys some place maybe receiving fire (I did not notice that on the vids, any warning of guys under attack before they started firing but open to correction). Plus these Apache Helicopters can attack from 3km away. You probably cant even hear them from that far away and even if you did they are 3k away ffs.
    Oh and come on man, a Photographer in a war zone peaking out from around a corner.... Maybe trying to not get shot and me think its standard practice man. Come on ffs

If there were nearby troops being shot at (which there were, we know this from the radio transcripts), they would have heard the gun fire and considering we know from the video that there was an RPG head found at the scene, then creeping around a corner like that is very suspicious when you have members of your group who are armed and dangerous.

It's also worth noting that when ground forces arrive on the scene, they are still receiving small arms fire.

sorry man. He is right, have a look at my post here I pointed out that Sheep is right and yes you can see an AK47 and what looks to be probably an RPG plus there is a later confirmation of it from ground troops (someone else posted this) and its transcribed for you on the video

If there were nearby troops being shot at, they would have heard the gun fire and considering we know from the video that there was an RPG head found at the scene, then creeping around a corner like that is very suspicious when you have members of your group who are armed and dangerous.

You know, if you keep saying something often enough won't make it true, but hey we can't can't just let the facts get in the way of a good lie can we.

There was no RPG, the whole point of this video is the camera was supposedly mistaken for an RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Still pretty hard to distinguish whether they are clearly weapons...

As you said yourself, they wouldnt just be out on a sunday stroll with their guns in there hands waving em out in the open with an helicopter flying overhead.

sorry man. He is right, have a look at my post here I pointed out that Sheep is right and yes you can see an AK47 and what looks to be probably an RPG plus there is a later confirmation of it from ground troops (someone else posted this) and its transcribed for you on the video

Yes Dara, I've conceded I may have picked that part up wrong already, and the fact there are AK47's at the scece I find less surprising considering everyone in that country seems to carry them, but about the RPG, see my last post.

It's also worth noting that when ground forces arrive on the scene, they are still receiving small arms fire.
    No they are not. Its from another location completely. They later confirm that the guys on the radio got the 2 locations confused as one guy pointed out that they small arms fire was coming from a roof top location and the Apache Pilot confirmed they were attacking ground level only. 2 different locations. In fact I think that this is where the Apache Heli goes to later in the long vid and fires missiles at

And again, I ask you to tell me where in the videos it says that they are receiving fire before the US initially fire. Cause I did not see that

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

What planet are some of you on, the whole point of releasing this video was that these were journalists carrying camera equipment talking to civilians on a street corner. The Apache mistook them for insurgents with weapons and fired on them.

Taken from: http://wikileaks.org/

"WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad -- including two Reuters news staff. Reuters has been trying to obtain the video through the Freedom of Information Act, without success since the time of the attack. The video, shot from an Apache helicopter gun-site, clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue were also seriously wounded".

Still pretty hard to distinguish whether they are clearly weapons...

As you said yourself, they wouldnt just be out on a sunday stroll with their guns in there hands waving em out in the open with an helicopter flying overhead.
    True. That said they are all carrying something and I don't think they were snooker cues and cases.
    Why would photo journalists be there if something like that was innocently the case?
    Its VERY unfortunate that the camera men were killed but THEY still strolled around with men that were under great suspicion.
    Hell, if I saw two gunships circling me and I was standing beside men with guns, I wouldn't be walking, I'd be running like crap out of there or at least moving very fast away from guns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

True. That said they are all carrying something and I don't think they were snooker cues and cases.
    Why would photo journalists be there if something like that was innocently the case?
    Its VERY unfortunate that the camera men were killed but THEY still strolled around with men that were under great suspicion.
    Hell, if I saw two gunships circling me and I was standing beside men with guns, I wouldn't be walking, I'd be running like crap out of there or at least moving very fast away from guns!
    TBH If they were ak47's maybe they were free lances hired to protect the Reuters emplyees incase they came in to contact with insurgents. As said earlier there was some shootings from a rooftop. Maybe this is why the camera had such a large lens? To see the roof top for photos?

Then, when the reporters heard gun fire they dived for the corner of the building for cover and the apache thought it was them firing at them.

Note the length of the delay from when the apache engages to when the rounds actually hit. This may be because the apache is at it's full engaging distance of 2-3km out. Hence the reporters and (armed guards?) being taken by surprise when they are fired upon by the apache.

IMO the pricks just wanted to squeeze the trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

That picture is completely irrelevant. The soldier who said that was seeing exactly the same thing that we are seeing.

However, I'm just over half way through the video now and the only problem with it is that the soldiers were obviously too careless in establishing whether or not there were weapons (including those who tried to help the wounded). But besides that, I agree with what you said about it being war. Its these peoples jobs to kill people every day.

That's just a convenient way to justify this Biggins. Do all Journalists in Iraq not have some kind of armed bodyguards? By your logic no journos should be allowed into baghdad because they have to 'carry' their equipment.

Bonito wrote: »
    TBH If they were ak47's maybe they were free lances hired to protect the Reuters emplyees incase they came in to contact with insurgents. As said earlier there was some shootings from a rooftop. Maybe this is why the camera had such a large lens? To see the roof top for photos?

Then, when the reporters heard gun fire they dived for the corner of the building for cover and the apache thought it was them firing at them.

Note the length of the delay from when the apache engages to when the rounds actually hit. This may be because the apache is at it's full engaging distance of 2-3km out. Hence the reporters and (armed guards?) being taken by surprise when they are fired upon by the apache.

IMO the pricks just wanted to squeeze the trigger.

The soldiers later turned up on the ground and found NO "armed guards" for camera men.
    No camera men go around with their own personal protection that I know of.
    (The Taliban wouldn't trust them, it would slow them down and would be a logistical nightmare)
    You can throw that suggestion out there but there is no evidence to back that claim up and subsequently even from those that oppose the American presence, they neither have made that claim.

As for these so called "out for blood killers", I re-quote myself:
    See this later frame alone (safe - not gruesome) that shows the mentality of the soldiers: http://i39.tinypic.com/15mecmt.jpg

...but your entitled to your opinion.

No they are not. Its from another location completely. They later confirm that the guys on the radio got the 2 locations confused as one guy pointed out that they small arms fire was coming from a roof top location and the Apache Pilot confirmed they were attacking ground level only. 2 different locations. In fact I think that this is where the Apache Heli goes to later in the long vid and fires missiles at

And again, I ask you to tell me where in the videos it says that they are receiving fire before the US initially fire. Cause I did not see that

The fact that the fire is coming from a different location doesn't mean that they're not receiving small arms fire.

You are correct though about receiving small arms fire before this engagement, I must have miss interpreted that part.

Yes Dara, I've conceded I may have picked that part up wrong already, and the fact there are AK47's at the scece I find less surprising considering everyone in that country seems to carry them, but about the RPG, see my last post.
    Re the RPG, look at attached and re-watch the vid

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

I'm sorry, do you think that there's a possibility that armed Iraqi insurgents would walk around with their weapons exposed right underneath a helicopter gunship?

If you did that, they would absolutely shoot you dead.

The Americans think they're playing video games.

Some people will see what they want to see at the end of the day - be it wrong or right.

I personally don't think we have a bunch of American "out for blood" killers.
    We do have an unfortunate incident where stupid people were doing stupid things at the wrong place and time.
    The consequences for this is on video.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

if the iraqi civilian had rps and k47 are where planning on killing people then what where the journalists doing in the middle of it.surley they would have reported if they knew that they was going to an attack

sron wrote: »
    I'm sorry, do you think that there's a possibility that armed Iraqi insurgents would walk around with their weapons exposed right underneath a helicopter gunship?

As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, there's a good chance that they didn't know the helicopters were there.

• Advertisement

Re the RPG, look at attached and re-watch the vid

but it's a camera tripod, not an RPG.

Advertisement