Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[KEEP IT CIVIL] Wikileaks release Video of the murder of Iraqi civilians

Options
  • 05-04-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Initially, for those of you that don't know who or what Wikileaks is have a look at this (If you know who they are skip down to underneath the brake marked with ======)

Here is their website. Unfortunately, due to a funding issue, their website has been stripped back completely and is currently only one page we only a few of their leaks. Normally their entire database of 2 years worth of scoops (Said to be more than the Washington Post has had in 30 years) would be available to view.

==============================

So back to what the point of this is thread. In a very uncharacteristic way WikiLeaks, who normally throw up leaks as soon as they have them, have announced a press release into the future (which was today at 16:00 UTC) and invited the worlds press to come and view a video. Initially they did not release what it was about but they have sent out info bit by bit and now has been revealed as the murder of Iraqi civilians and two Reuters journalists.

The videos are on Youtube now and clearly show civilians and Journnalists being targetted but US Air Forces.

Shortened Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Full Unedited Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9sxRfU-ik

WARNING, VIDEO SHOWS PEOPLE BEING KILLED!! Do not watch if you do not want to see this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Deeply disappointing that accidental deaths should happen but there is one thing to remember:

When the modern forces kill innocents, they see it as a unforgivable sad mistake (irrespective of how their agencies handle it later)
    When the Taliban kill innocents, they see it as an immediate murdering victory!

Its all about perspective!

* I am NOT justifying what the Americans might have done or did later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Can't wait to play this level in Modern Warfare 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I might grab my coat before the whipping boy of the week "Islam" has to drop his pants for another AH spanking, whats the bet this one turns nasty...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Biggins wrote: »
    Deeply disappointing that accidental deaths should happen but there is one thing to remember:

When the modern forces kill innocents, they see it as a unforgivable sad mistake (irrespective of how their agencies handle it later)

When the Taliban target innocents, the rest of the world sees it and treats it as terrorism. The US are carrying out the exact thing that they're supposed to be at war against, and in doing so they're perpetuating the whole thing. They need a common enemy, and they're driving people to become enemies

Been keeping an eye on Wikileaks for months now hoping they would get back up and running.
    Disappointing that so far they haven't but can understand why.

Make sure to keep watching.. There's more after 9mins in.

Disgusting! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I don't think the Taliban see it as targeting civilians - they see it as targeting those who are allowing America to do what they do.

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »
    I don't think the Taliban see it as targeting civilians - they see it as targeting those who are allowing America to do what they do.
    They let off bombs at queues, street markets, etc - what have they got to do with allowing America to do what they do? :confused:

By the way, don't bother watching the shorter version. They completely leave out the bit where the troops are on the ground counting the number of weapons and rpg war heads there are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

By doing what exactly? Having the audacity to live in Iraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

The most disturbing thing for me is how little work was put into working out who their "targets" were and what they were doing. On the video they clearly state that there are no troops in the area so why so quick to hit them?

In a few of the shots you can clearly see the camera zoom in much more than they did and could have probably told them that there were cameras and not guns. As a Photographer (well trying to be anyways lol) myself I could clearly identify them as cameras and lenses but you cant expect the US army to know as much as I would but still a little more work would have insured no one was killed. And the most disturbing thing was the van... how they can justify attacking a van of what looked to me to be clearly civilians helping the wounded and again if they bothered to check who was in the van and zoom in more they should have seen 2 small people (ie the children) sitting clearly one in front of the other in the passenger seat looking out the window.

I don't get it, no intelligence or reason for them looking there other than someone noticed a van pulling up to a Mosque initially. So why the need to jump in and kill everyone in sight? No one on their side at risk as there was no one in the area... Depressing that they don't train their men better.

Its a city with 99% of people being normal civilians that they are there to "Liberate" apparently. Its not a ****ing war zone in a random open field, desert or mountain. I just feel sick tbh

Expect the Youtuble clips to be taken down rapid I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

wow speechless!

Going onto my Facebook so more people can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

They let off bombs at queues, street markets, etc - what have they got to do with allowing America to do what they do? :confused:

Usually they let bombs off at police and army recruiting stations, polling stations during elections, and (as seen today) at embassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

That reminds me of the equally chilling intro to the following video:

Usually they let bombs off at police and army recruiting stations, polling stations during elections, and (as seen today) at embassies.
    True but it don't pass them a second thought to kill in the other aforementioned areas all too often either - all far too often.

• Advertisement

The most disturbing thing for me is how little work was put into working out who their "targets" were and what they were doing. On the video they clearly state that there are no troops in the area so why so quick to hit them?

In a few of the shots you can clearly see the camera zoom in much more than they did and could have probably told them that there were cameras and not guns. As a Photographer (well trying to be anyways lol) myself I could clearly identify them as cameras and lenses but you cant expect the US army to know as much as I would but still a little more work would have insured no one was killed. And the most disturbing thing was the van... how they can justify attacking a van of what looked to me to be clearly civilians helping the wounded and again if they bothered to check who was in the van and zoom in more they should have seen 2 small people (ie the children) sitting clearly one in front of the other in the passenger seat looking out the window.

I don't get it, no intelligence or reason for them looking there other than someone noticed a van pulling up to a Mosque initially. So why the need to jump in and kill everyone in sight? No one on their side at risk as there was no one in the area... Depressing that they don't train their men better.

Its a city with 99% of people being normal civilians that they are there to "Liberate" apparently. Its not a ****ing war zone in a random open field, desert or mountain. I just feel sick tbh
    Eh, you are aware that a number of people in the group had weapons ranging from AK 47's to RPGS right?

The only thing there that looked like an illegal killing were the guys in the van trying to help the wounded guy.

Sheeps wrote: »
    The only thing there that looked like an illegal killing were the guys in the van trying to help the wounded guy.

That along with the attitude of the soldiers is what's shocking imo. They're gagging to shoot.

Plus the way it was presented at the time didn't reflect the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Been keeping an eye on Wikileaks for months now hoping they would get back up and running.
    Disappointing that so far they haven't but can understand why.
    They have had funding issues. They are currently trying to raise more money and are over half way there.
    Although even with that they have still been releasing regular leaks and maintaining their site and Twitter (which is very active actually)

I have downloaded the videos in case they are removed but I assume by the time they do Mirror sites will have it up and the WikiLeaks will be linking direct to them if and when that happens.

I just checked out of curiosity but the only TV news agency at 6pm covering it was Al Jazeera News. Odd thing is that I could not find any other one covering this on TV or web (well just did a quick scan of the main players)

And also FBing this in the hope more ppl will watch it

Thanks GaNjaHaN, seen it years ago but still the more that see these things the better

@ Sheeps
    I only saw 1 gun, what looked like an AK47.
    The point though was that there was no need for such quick action, between the time when they identify "weapons" and the time they actually start firing ... it must have been 30 secs, maybe 45 secs. I mean come on ffs. No one on their side was in danger and there was no immediate need for a proactive attack. Should their policy not have been, guys we are in a city where most people are innocent civilians and a large proportion of them are now in a lawless city carrying weapons for self defence, check your sites please.... no????????? and if not WHY THE **** NOT!!!
    The whole thing is just sickening tbh. And how many of these videos are we not going to see? How many are out there that are worse?

That along with the attitude of the soldiers is what's shocking imo. They're gagging to shoot.

Plus the way it was presented at the time didn't reflect the truth.

I too find soldiers wanting to kill their enemy shocking.

...I just checked out of curiosity but the only TV news agency at 6pm covering it was Al Jazeera News. Odd thing is that I could not find any other one covering this on TV or web (well just did a quick scan of the main players)

And also FBing this in the hope more ppl will watch it

Side info:
    Mr Brown (Labour) recently evoked a war ruling that restricts the reporting of such incidents.
    Its supposed (under the ruling) that such reporting might :rolleyes: effect the elections and that nothing should be allowed to sway the populace and their votes!
    While this ruling alone WILL NOT change the way the public will vote by now, it does help to slow down the reporting of such incidents through British media.
    Only when the rest of the world press report such items can then the British reporters refer to them apparently.

On the ground journalists have also been restricted from entering war zones now and taking interviews of anyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They really didn't take any caution in identifying their target. They didn't look armed in any way or form. It's fairly obvious that the helicopter gunner panicked and thought they were armed just at the sight of the sling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Main video. 10.12 in to it. Coming up on screen is the word "coincidence" after the gunner is told his allies have no personnel in that area and they're cleared to engage.

They really didn't take any caution in identifying their target. They didn't look armed in any way or form. It's fairly obvious that the helicopter gunner panicked and thought they were armed just at the sight of the sling.

Or else it could have been the dude actually holding the RPG that gave it away.

Two minutes in on the long version, they sure looked armed to me. AK47's over their shoulders and then there was the guy carrying the RPG rocket launcher.
    Then 30 seconds later they were sticking their heads around the left side of a building with the same weapons, looking like they were readying to fire.

• Advertisement

Sheeps wrote: »
    I too find soldiers wanting to kill their enemy shocking.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/402/1270481808403.png

Yea, what a threat.. what an enemy.

Advertisement