Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Can't wait for this to get full approval, it's exactly what Swords needs......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Well said celticbest, Nimbyism is alive and well in Swords...... the wishes of "the locals" is soooo important, well, we live in a free world, thank God. I wonder if these people will shop there or not? hmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ragg wrote: »
    Agreed, amazing this can be approved against the wishes of the locals. typical Fingal co co though.

I'm a local , It's not against my wishes, Competition is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I, like many others on here I reckon, support the idea of a Lidl in Swords, but just not on the Rathbeale Rd next to JC's.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

as do I and its nothing got to do with being beside JCs, its got to do with the unbelievable amount of traffic the local area already struggles with, without adding a Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Nope, it's not Nimbyism at all. I'm in Rivervalley and I'd love if they put an Aldi or Lidl in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

screamer wrote: »
    Well said celticbest, Nimbyism is alive and well in Swords...... the wishes of "the locals" is soooo important, well, we live in a free world, thank God. I wonder if these people will shop there or not? hmmmm......

If it doesn't affect you you aren't going to care but it will affect many who live around the area. There are many estates leading off the Rathbeale Road around the proposed site. To get out onto the Rathbeale Road or cross it can be a nightmare at times. There is no doubt that the traffic levels will increase if a Lidl was brought in.
    Ginny wrote: »
    as do I and its nothing got to do with being beside JCs, its got to do with the unbelievable amount of traffic the local area already struggles with, without adding a Lidl.

I've witnessed a fair few crashes out on the road, one not so very nice one where the motorcyclist later died. For safety, I hope it gets rejected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Larianne wrote: »
    If it doesn't affect you you aren't going to care but it will affect many who live around the area. There are many estates leading off the Rathbeale Road around the proposed site. To get out onto the Rathbeale Road or cross it can be a nightmare at times. There is no doubt that the traffic levels will increase if a Lidl was brought in.

I've witnessed a fair few crashes out on the road, one not so very nice one where the motorcyclist later died. For safety, I hope it gets rejected.

I agree with this, I've only lived here a year and a bit, but in that time I've seen at least five crashes, almost all of them around the Centra/JC's on the Rathbeale Road.

At the very least, the junction at JC's and the Junction onto Brackenstown need to be traffic lighted/roundabouted.

This past week they have those markers on the road that measure traffic either side of the Centra, so perhaps they are trying to gauge the volumes?

Stheno wrote: »
    This past week they have those markers on the road that measure traffic either side of the Centra, so perhaps they are trying to gauge the volumes?

From what I've been told, it was the county council counting the traffic volume to see if traffic lights need to go in at the Brackenstown Avenue junction. Nothing to do with Lidl. Interesting how this is happening now with all the fuss with Lidl going on. Traffic lights there would be flippin' great!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They would be great, there are always delays when it's busy with people trying to turn right.

Further down the road, a car went up on the pavement and into a lamppost this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

yeah looked awful, wedged between a lamp post and a wall...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I still can't understand why they haven't moved the traffic lights at the pedestrian entrance to JCs up to vehicular entrance. At peak times, it is whole dangerous getting out of JCs and for cars travelling along the Rathbeale road while cars etc... try to exit the car park.

I am not sure how Lidl proposes to manage this situation... two busy "junctions" within 7 or 800 meters of each other would be madness if it isn't signal controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

As said above i welcome a lidl in Swords, but at times it's hard enough as it is to get out of the garage so with all the extra traffic it'll be near on impossible. There's far more practical places.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

decision is out tomorrow from ABP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

kiwijbob wrote: »

I really hope this is given the go ahead, I know it's not the ideal location but the more competition there is in Swords the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kiwijbob wrote: »
    It may be out today, it's just due by tomorrow.

May take a few days for the documents to be uploaded mind you.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/238054.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I still say there are better locations in Swords for it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I still say there are better locations in Swords for it.
    The majority of things can be improved in some way and no doubt there are better locations for it. The question is whether or not this is a suitable location.

Suitable and best really are two different things.

Hopefully whatever the decision it won't cause too much animosity here or in Swords.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The majority of things can be improved in some way and no doubt there are better locations for it. The question is whether or not this is a suitable location.

Suitable and best really are two different things.

Hopefully whatever the decision it won't cause too much animosity here or in Swords.

It's not at a suitable location. They cannot widen the road in this area. There's already a lot of traffic in such a built up residential area. Its as simple as.

It's not at a suitable location. They cannot widen the road in this area. There's already a lot of traffic in such a built up residential area. Its as simple as.

Yes we get the idea. Your posts 70, 81, 87, 93, 106, 109, 119, 122, 131, 160, 169, 209 and 218 in this thread, along with the objection to FCC you made, make it pretty clear you are against this development.

Experts however will make the decision here, not those who have emotional or financial attachment for or against the development.

For better or worse on both sides of the coin everyone will know soon enough. An overturning of the permission which was aready granted will just see a new application lodged either for a redesigned Lidl or some other monstrosity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If the experts had a history of making the right call, I'd be more open-minded. I may be wrong, but as it stands I think this development is going to make traffic around that area significantly worse, and it's already not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Experts however will make the decision here

Well heres their answer....
    They cannot widen the road in this area. There's already a lot of traffic in such a built up residential area. Its as simple as.

PCros wrote: »
    Doesn't take a genius to work that one out.

Ah, I have a bit of intelligence. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Ah, I have a bit of intelligence. :o

Sorry just realised it looks like I'm having a dig at you, I'm not. :)

I meant your point makes the most sense that ABP should look at it from that context.

(Fixed now:o)

PCros wrote: »
    Sorry just realised it looks like I'm having a dig at you, I'm not. :)

I meant your point makes the most sense that ABP should look at it from that context.

(Fixed now:o)

I was totally joking! :D

(sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I can't see Lidl generating a huge amount of traffic more than Dunnes, JCs and the Petrol Station do already, and I feel a Lidl will be a welcome addition to Swords. I would note however that the Woodies site some mention above would probably be a better spot for it, but I have no objections to it going in as proposed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let's await the decision, then digest the reasoning. If posters then want to debate the options going forward, that's fine. However I am not sure what can be achieved at this stage by going over exactly the same ground as has already been covered earlier in the thread.

Thanks

Beasty

Lidl was granted permission by ABP. Can't find a link though.

Obviously, I am very disappointed in this action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Lidl was granted permission by ABP. Can't find a link though.

Obviously, I am very disappointed in this action.

+1

As I've said before, IMO the planners in this country are just as guilty as the bankers for the mess that we're in.

And this is another fine example of it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Terrible terrible decision. :mad:

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/238054.htm

If you click on direction at the bottom of this link to download the pdf, you'll get the details.

It looks like they decided against the Inspector's report.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement