Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Larianne wrote: »
    Does the county council get any money if they approve the site?
    Like all planning permission be that residential or commercial they get a development levy which they can set at pretty much anything and have it indexed.

For example they imposed a 4.1m levy on Aldi for development in Balbriggan which Aldi subsequently appealed successfully to ABP.

Planning would not be granted purely to acquire a development levy so best not to even start that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I was just asking do they get any money. No harm in that.

You're certainly up on your planning information! Thanks.

Larianne wrote: »
    I was just asking do they get any money. No harm in that.

You're certainly up on your planning information! Thanks.
    Your welcome, it's all down to my noisiness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Well, I hope that they do get planning on that site, if we were all begrudgers nothing would ever be built in Ireland of the NIMBYs.... . The reason why there is so much traffic on that road is the ridiculous development sites like Applewood that were dumped in the nether-regions of Swords.... and if people had objected to them, then perhaps Swords would still be a nice small place to live in, rather than the sprawling, overcrowded place it is. Lidl will be a good thing, and beside JCs where grocery shoppers are going anyways, is a great location. As for those "loyal" customers who love JCs, fair play to you, keep going there, LIDL's not gonna effect you.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Traffic has been bad on that road for years before applewood man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

screamer wrote: »
    Well, I hope that they do get planning on that site, if we were all begrudgers nothing would ever be built in Ireland of the NIMBYs.... . The reason why there is so much traffic on that road is the ridiculous development sites like Applewood that were dumped in the nether-regions of Swords.... and if people had objected to them, then perhaps Swords would still be a nice small place to live in, rather than the sprawling, overcrowded place it is. Lidl will be a good thing, and beside JCs where grocery shoppers are going anyways, is a great location. As for those "loyal" customers who love JCs, fair play to you, keep going there, LIDL's not gonna effect you.......

And so, this time we should employ some foresight and realise that as a result that road may not be the best location....why couldn't they possible try using an empty industrial unit in the area around the entrance to Applewood there? Or in Airside? The possibilities are endless, there's empt y units everywhere and yet they go for one of the most congested parts of the town!Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pool5

dan_d wrote: »
    why couldn't they possible try using an empty industrial unit in the area around the entrance to Applewood there? Or in Airside? The possibilities are endless, there's empt y units everywhere and yet they go for one of the most congested parts of the town!Madness.

You need to read the thread man and get your hands on a zoning map with matrix. You cannot go into Airside or empty Industrial units and open a supermarket as the sites are not zoned appropriately, serviced appropriately or set up to operate as a Supermarket. Aldi were refused in Airside previously.The possibilities are endless if you were a planner who let supermarkets open up willy nilly anywhere where there is an empty building! They are constrained by the current FCC DP and zoning map/matrix both of which seem to indicate that the site on thwe Rathbeale road is ideal. It also fits very well with the Retail Planning Guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bluetonic wrote: »

Plenty of applications which are strongly opposed by local communities get planning permission and have been built. There's examples in most areas, high profiles ones too.

Like FCC's own eyesore/head office on main street, If they can give permission to turn a park into that monstrosity they are capable of anything imo.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Like FCC's own eyesore/head office on main street, If they can give permission to turn a park into that monstrosity they are capable of anything imo.
    Thats subjective.

It could be argued that the park was more of an eyesore considering some of the activities that went on it.

Thats subjective.

It could be argued that the park was more of an eyesore considering some of the activities that went on it.

It wasn't an eyesore? Having it enclosed led to problems. Using your logic they should knock down the castle and build on it too, they can move onto the jacko park then and build on it and any other piece of green space that kids congregate in. Me, I'd suggest tackeling the anti social behavior would be a far better solution.

• Advertisement

Using your logic they should knock down the castle and build on it too
    kindly explain how my logic leads to that.

kindly explain how my logic leads to that.

The activities you spoke off take place in the Castle Park too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Pool5 wrote: »
    You need to read the thread man and get your hands on a zoning map with matrix. You cannot go into Airside or empty Industrial units and open a supermarket as the sites are not zoned appropriately, serviced appropriately or set up to operate as a Supermarket. Aldi were refused in Airside previously.The possibilities are endless if you were a planner who let supermarkets open up willy nilly anywhere where there is an empty building! They are constrained by the current FCC DP and zoning map/matrix both of which seem to indicate that the site on thwe Rathbeale road is ideal. It also fits very well with the Retail Planning Guidelines

Airside is not set up for retail??....

Our planners have not exactly played by the guidelines lately have they...

The maps and DP are all very well, but applying a modicum of common sense to either would probably make most people realise that that location for a Lidl/Aldi is not good, and a few alterations to the above wouldn't go amiss.

I hear what you're saying, but just because it says it in their plan doesn't, unfortunately, make it right. With the size of Swords as it is, and the existing traffic situation, it just - doesn't make sense.At all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dan_d wrote: »
    Airside is not set up for retail??....

zoned. It's not Zoned for food retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

My whole estate got together and filed an objection..
    We already have a supermarket on the Rathbeale Road we dont need a Lidl. Its not necessary.

That said, and as much as I disagree with the store going there, I'll more than likely end up looking for a job there.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ollie - for what it's worth, 100 objections from individuals will probably have more impact on an application than one objection signed by 100 people.

You can still lodge objections individually & also object on behalf of your children if you wish (they are also citizens of Fingal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Ollie - for what it's worth, 100 objections from individuals will probably have more impact on an application than one objection signed by 100 people.

You can still lodge objections individually & also object on behalf of your children if you wish (they are also citizens of Fingal).

Really? That's interesting and makes sense when you think about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Has it been approved then?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

Pinky, as far as i know, and thats what everyone's saying. I could be wrong though.

Also theres been a rumour for a good while now of an Aldi replacing Woodies. It would make sense that Woodies is disappearing because theres an Atlantic Homecare in Airside, 5 mins up the road. Thought I'd throw that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

It wasn't an eyesore? Having it enclosed led to problems. Using your logic they should knock down the castle and build on it too, they can move onto the jacko park then and build on it and any other piece of green space that kids congregate in. Me, I'd suggest tackeling the anti social behavior would be a far better solution.

The town park wasn't an eyesore. The problem was that too many large trees were planted that made it a perfect place for semi concealed anti social behaviour - the fact that at the time Swords was hardly policed at all didn't help. It only opened officially around 1987 and didn't last very long anyway. The difference with the Castle Park is fewer accessible points of entry, better monitoring, and its all open space so far less attractive for misbehaviour.

The Jacko is a far bigger problem for a number of reasons - the land at either end is privately owned, it is considered a community resource, and it isnt really suitable for development nor practical to police. There was a proposal to throw a road through it years ago, what was then the end of River Valley with the end of Brackenstown - it was soundly rejected.

As for the Rathbeale road, the road has been a death trap for as long as I remember. At least 1 small child was killed on that road in the early 1980s before pressure finally caved in for putting pedestrian lights on that road - there were several serious accidents mostly involving pedestrians being knocked down, and the odd bicycle. The garage itself was always a poorly located space - almost directly opposite the Brackenstown road which is quite busy with traffic. It was never a good location to start with.

Its not uncommon elsewhere for Lidl to locate right beside existing shops. They have a certain niche following, wouldn't lose Savages much business - customers are fiercely loyal to JC's family. What would be more problematic would be extra traffic unless the junction was moved further down and lights placed on the junction of the Brackenstown road.

The reason, PS, why the pedestrian lights are placed at JCs was because that used to be a very busy bus stop in the morning, as well as pedestrian traffic going across between JCs and Howards.

• Advertisement

Unless there is a serious (very serious) objections based on something which FCC haven't already seen I doubt this will be going anyway other than granted.
    As I was saying back in April, this development has been granted full planning permission by FCC. There are 24 conditions none of which are anything too unusual aside from a contribution levy for Metro North along with the usual levies. Good to see this going ahead.

Can't see ABP doing anything other than approving it when the original objectors delay this further by appealing the decision.
    Current Status : Decision Made by Fingal County Council This application was received by Fingal County Council on 12-Mar-2010 and registered on 08-Oct-2010. On 03-Nov-2010, the decision GRANT PERMISSION was made by Fingal County Council.

That's very disappointing news. Roll on the traffic misery for Rathbeale Road residents. Hopefully ABP will see sense and suggest a different location.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Hopefully ABP will see sense and suggest a different location.
    ABP don't get involved in suggesting alternative locations for developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Fairly shocking decision but hey nothing new there.

Well done to the idiots in fingal coco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

PCros wrote: »
    Fairly shocking decision but hey nothing new there.

Well done to the idiots in fingal coco.

Agreed, amazing this can be approved against the wishes of the locals. typical Fingal co co though. Really hope someday there planning will be put to a nationwide body rather than the Local Authorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

What a crazy decision but its not really a shock....Its FCC after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just so you know, it could still be turned down by ABP. Like what happened with Aldi in Portmarnock.

Fingerscrossed. There's a meeting about it up in BASE on Tuesday evening.

Glad to hear there's a meeting about it. Unfortunately, I can't go but am keen to hear a report on what happens.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Did anyone get to the meeting?

Advertisement