Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options
  • 31-03-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

So what do people think about Lidl going onto the site of the petrol station on the Rathbeale road?

I think its a joke that road is way too busy already with JCs and the garage in question.

Anybody who lives around there knows what its like to drive up the Rathbeale around Christmas with shoppers going to JCs, imagine another entrance to another big supermarket 50 metres away...it would be chaos.

I think a good site for Lidl would be the Woodies site when they move out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Where did you hear woodies were moving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

I do think its a bad site also, the road just wouldnt cope.

Although im not sure where would be better, maybe up around airside?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Woodies is atlantic homecare now isnt it? Are they closing the one down across from hertz and just leaving the one up in Airside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Noticed that. Woodies and Atlantic are owned by Chadwicks. Not many people may have noticed, but the Atlantic in Airside recently became Woodies which begs the obvious question as to why they would have two Woodies so close together.

The old Woodies is not a great location, but if it was a Lidl/Aldi, I think it would do ok. They tend to set up in non-prime locations so I can't see a problem with the old Woodies location. Time will tell!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I can't see Lidl going ahead, the Esso and the house beside it are supposedly going.
    Trying to get out of JC's is bad enough w3ithout sticking something else on that stretch, Actually Lidl in the old Woodies would be a much better idea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its an aweful location, any planner worth his salt(is there any decent planners?;)) would see that the road is a disaster at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Elliee wrote: »
    Woodies is atlantic homecare now isnt it? Are they closing the one down across from hertz and just leaving the one up in Airside?

Yeah the old Woodies is closing down, used to work there when I was in college and I was speaking to an old manager who said that they would be shutting the seatown one down this year.

I think this would be a good location for Lidl, we have to remember all the businesses around there like Hertz etc that employ alot of people, would be handy for them to so some shopping after work.

As for Airside, Lidl applied to put a shop up there but they were refused some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I wish they'd move the traffic lights up to the entrance of JCs - that would make thew whole road in that area much safer.

I can't see JC being to pleased with the possibility of Lidl going in there. To be fair to him he's been a great employer for the locality for many years and indeed a great service provider to the locals, so while competition is great etc... I hope that it doesn't go ahead in the proposed location.

Would the site of the garage be big enough for a Lidl anyway? (taking into account car parking etc..)

The garage is goldmine there too I would have thought - especially at the prices they charge for petrol..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Petrol is a scandalous price at that Esso. For JCs sake, I really hope Lidl does not go ahead there. I'm a big supporter of JCs but Lidl would undoubtedly take business away. The Woodies site would be a much better location for them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Uriel. wrote: »
    Would the site of the garage be big enough for a Lidl anyway? (taking into account car parking etc..)

Thats what I taught at first but the cottage beside it is going aswell.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    Thats what I taught at first but the cottage beside it is going aswell.

Ah right. Interesting. Thanks for that.

Wasn't the area just to the side of the cottage designated for accomodation for settled travellers? I could be wrong on that though.

Ah right. Interesting. Thanks for that.

Wasn't the area just to the side of the cottage designated for accomodation for settled travellers? I could be wrong on that though.

No its just a private caravan park nothing to do with travellers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love the thought of Lidl coming to Swords, but I have to agree that the Rathbeale Road site is all wrong. The Woodies site at Seatown would be perfect.

We shop at JC's and like a lot of his customers we feel very loyal because he's always looked after his customers so well.

No its just a private caravan park nothing to do with travellers.

I have marked out the cottage and land that will be used, they also own the land behind the house to the left of the garage.

That's really great. Cheers.

Have Lidl actually purchased the site at this stage? or leasing it etc...?

If it does open up there.... Were will Aldi go? :D

Is it definitely that cottage and not the one to the other side?
    Just as the other one has a mlot more land and would give a bigger site.

That's really great. Cheers.

Have Lidl actually purchased the site at this stage? or leasing it etc...?

If it does open up there.... Were will Aldi go? :D

Not sure if they've puchased the site but the have submitted a application for planning permission. I have heard that the residents along that road will all object to it so we'll see in time.

Also apparently Lidl takes deliveries in the early hours of the morning so that will not go down with immediate neighbours.

As for Aldi.....I'm sure they'll try squeeze there in somewhere.:D

Ginny wrote: »
    Is it definitely that cottage and not the one to the other side?
    Just as the other one has a mlot more land and would give a bigger site.

Yep the one on the right. Think the Garrigans who own the site also own that cottage.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackiexx

thats crazy isnt it!!!is jcs not cheap enough as it is without competitors:P

Yep the one on the right. Think the Garrigans who own the site also own that cottage.

found the planning application http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F10A/0088
    It does seem to be the other house the one between JCs and the Esso

Ah I'm stupid.....when i read it: "cottage to the right of the garage", I was thinking of me looking at the garage hence why I indicated the other cottage.:o

• Advertisement

Nay bothers, I was wondering why the little cottage was going...:D

I'm thinking of submitting an objection to it.

Has anyone done this before? I phoned the council: there's no formalised procedure - you just write a letter with your fee attached. They've 2 objections in already and it has to be in by 15th April.

I'm open to suggestions on what should be in it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, why do you want to object (I am not trying to be smart here)?
    If your thinking of objecting for a reason other than for the hell of it then I am sure you have an idea in your mind - just formulate that reason on paper and submit to the Fingal CC.

I certainly am not objecting for the hell of it. I'm just wondering what other people think. My thinking is 2 supermarkets beside each other will cause traffic hell on a road that's already bad, there are other areas with almost no shops they would be better served, JCs would suffer....etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

greedy fingal don't care they just want the bounty of juicy rates from LIDL. its madness allowing them to locate on that rd as per reasons outlined above.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I certainly am not objecting for the hell of it. I'm just wondering what other people think. My thinking is 2 supermarkets beside each other will cause traffic hell on a road that's already bad, there are other areas with almost no shops they would be better served, JCs would suffer....etc.

Exactly, you should object on grounds of safety issues - due to volume of traffic etc... on the road - possible on the grounds of two "heavy duty" use entrances (i.e. delivery trucks etc...) within close proximity.

Industrial/commercial traffic operating at insociable hours etc...

Just to re-iterate - I wasn't being smart with you before.

PS. I am not really sure if objecting on behalf of JCs suffering would mean anything during the planning assessment process. Not really sure though. All the same, all submissions have to be considered and I imagine JC will be putting forward his own strong submission.

Don't be afraid to make use of your local Reps. either - e.g. Deputy Kennedy - he cannot interfere with the planning process - but he could certainly rally the troops - speak in the ears of FF local cousellors etc...

I do think Lidl coming to Swords is a good thing though. I am just undecided with regards to the proposed location at the minute.

The other thing of course is to consider - while they might go ahead and grant planning permission to the Lidl project - the concerns that are put to the Planning Board may be incorporated into the decision and certain restrictions/requirements could be placed on any permission granted - i.e. the roads upgrade that was required for Ikea's permission.

greedy fingal don't care they just want the bounty of juicy rates from LIDL. its madness allowing them to locate on that rd as per reasons outlined above.

They'd get more or less the same rates no matter where Lidl is located in Swords. The exact location, is relatively unimportant from that point of view. Greed won't play much of a role in the situation.

Apparently, the land is "sale agreed" subject to planning permission so Lidl won't be down an awful lot of money if planning isn't granted for that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Objections will cost you €20 too, have to be based on Planning grounds and must be submitted within 5 weeks of the submission date of the planning file

• Advertisement

Yes, I intend to copy my objections to the local Swords councillors and TDs. It irks me a bit that I have to pay the money to object legitimately but it's worth it in this case.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement