Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Larianne wrote: »
    Lidl open next Friday, 4th May I hear.
    sharkman wrote: »
    I've been told Monday 7th .

Is it opening this Friday? I can't imagine it opening on a Bank Holiday...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Having endured the traffic as a result of their stop go system this week, I'll happily never have them open.

It's chaos on the route out of swords, most of the day the traffic is backed up as far as the castle centre.

I've become most inventive when I need to get to Swords itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

It's a pity they built it in that location from the sounds of the traffic issues but a town the size of Swords should have had both an Aldi and a Lidl years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kumsheen wrote: »
    It's a pity they built it in that location from the sounds of the traffic issues but a town the size of Swords should have had both an Aldi and a Lidl years ago.

Ashbourne has both 10km away and another 10km the other side you'll find both also tbh along with giant dunnes and tescos so Swords was well served for anyone with transport not so much for those reliant on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Stheno wrote: »
    Ashbourne has both 10km away and another 10km the other side you'll find both also tbh along with giant dunnes and tescos so Swords was well served for anyone with transport not so much for those reliant on public transport.

Can't really agree with you there. Swords is a massive town now and has a big enough market for all the retailers to compete for business. You shouldn't need to drive 10km from Swords just to go to Lidl or Aldi.

I'm not agreeing with the choice of location for this Lidl, but one should have been built in the town somewhere. As well as an Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Kumsheen wrote: »

Can't really agree with you there. Swords is a massive town now and has a big enough market for all the retailers to compete for business. You shouldn't need to drive 10km from Swords just to go to Lidl or Aldi.

I'm not agreeing with the choice of location for this Lidl, but one should have been built in the town somewhere. As well as an Aldi.
    Access to both Aldi and Lidl is easy in Ashbourne. Planning in Swords leaves a lot to be desired. As I have argued from the start, Swords does need Lidl but just not there. On a personal note, I hope it doesn't take away from JC's. They have served the people of Swords well over the years.

Latest is that the store will not open until the 17th May.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

celticbest wrote: »
    Latest is that the store will not open until the 17th May.....

One of Lidl's employees was on 98fm during the week and he said it was opening on the 17th.

So does anyone know if the store opened today & if it has how is it affecting traffic?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

celticbest wrote: »
    So does anyone know if the store opened today & if it has how is it affecting traffic?

This day next week 17th it opens .

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    This day next week 17th it opens .

oops, my bad - getting ahead of myself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I wish Aldi would open up in the area. I prefer their range of foods to Lidl but Santry or Drogheda is too far to drive for grocery shopping!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The hubby was up at JC's last night and he said Lidl was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

imokyrok wrote: »
    I wish Aldi would open up in the area. I prefer their range of foods to Lidl but Santry or Drogheda is too far to drive for grocery shopping!

Plenty of other in the area - Ashbourne, Finglas, Coolock, etc.

Staff training I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

I drove past it at about 6pm yesterday and the lights were on and it looked ready to go but it definitely didn't look open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

It was the official opening party, with guests etc., but not actually open. Passed it today and has a sign outside "OPENING NEXT THURSDAY", God help us when that happens! LOL

I've never been a Lidl opening day. Are there great specials to be had, or is the cause of the chaos simply the novelty factor?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I've never been a Lidl opening day. Are there great specials to be had, or is the cause of the chaos simply the novelty factor?

No opening specials iirc, simply traffic chaos.

The Rathbeale rush hour will now extend into the late evening Mon - Fri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

No opening specials iirc, simply traffic chaos.

The Rathbeale rush hour will now extend into the late evening Mon - Fri

Pffft, Rathbeale Road rush hour will be 7 days a week now!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pffft, Rathbeale Road rush hour will be 7 days a week now!!! :rolleyes:

It's enough to get me back on the 41x instead of taking advantage of having parking in the city centre as a work perk :p

And welcoming weekend travel for work, and considering becoming a hermit and not going near Swords at the weekend!

On a serious note, after Thursday I'm off out the country for a couple of weeks with work, so hopefully I'll miss the initial rush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well I've moved into the city centre to avoid it! :pac:

This Friday evening along the Rathbeale Road is gonna be manic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Store opens today and apparently the traffic is a nightmare. Lets hope that it's just opening day excitement....doubt it tho. What pisses me off is that any of us who raised objections on this thread due to the traffic nightmare, and were dismissed as parochial nimbyists by people who don't know the area and don't live in the area, have so far been proved right, and it's too late to do anything about it now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm planning on doing some shopping later (in JCs) but I might walk up or cycle to avoid what I presume will be chaos in the car.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Seemingly it's an absolute nightmare up there, the garda are out trying to direct traffic. JC's carpark is nearly full, and there's double parking up Brackenstown Ave.
    I really wonder how much was in that brown envelope!
    Also the opening hours are 8am-9pm Mon. to Sat - 8am to 7pm Sundays, which is a joke for anyone who is going to be getting a bus or driving down rathbeale rd to work.

tbh wrote: »
    Store opens today and apparently the traffic is a nightmare. Lets hope that it's just opening day excitement....doubt it tho. What pisses me off is that any of us who raised objections on this thread due to the traffic nightmare, and were dismissed as parochial nimbyists by people who don't know the area and don't live in the area, have so far been proved right, and it's too late to do anything about it now.
    Ginny wrote: »
    Seemingly it's an absolute nightmare up there, the garda are out trying to direct traffic. JC's carpark is nearly full, and there's double parking up Brackenstown Ave.
    I really wonder how much was in that brown envelope!
    Also the opening hours are 8am-9pm Mon. to Sat - 8am to 7pm Sundays, which is a joke for anyone who is going to be getting a bus or driving down rathbeale rd to work.

Why? There are plently of ways to avoid the Rathbeale Road, it's not as if it's the only route in and out of Swords.......

JC's has never been a real issue and I'm sure once the initial rush to Lidl calms down it will be much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

tbh wrote: »
    Excellent analysis but a rather small sample.

Don't you think it would be wiser to analyse traffic over a few months rather than over a few hours?

Absolutely nothing is proven over a few hours analysis.

if you're using the 41 or 41x(that avoids Glen Ellen) they do go down the Rathbeale Rd. Point is the Rathbeale rd. is busy at the best of times, I usually don't use it unless I'm on the bus, now more people will try and avoid it too, making every other route busier then usual. Ikea weren't allowed by Fingal CC to open untill 11 because they were afraid of the traffic, but Lidl is being allowed open on a single lane route in a built up area at 8am on a weekday?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Excellent analysis but a rather small sample.

Don't you think it would be wiser to analyse traffic over a few months rather than over a few hours?
    Yes over a few months and not only on a Sunday, which was when the original survey was done AFAIR.

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »
    if you're using the 41 or 41x(that avoids Glen Ellen) they do go down the Rathbeale Rd. Point is the Rathbeale rd. is busy at the best of times, I usually don't use it unless I'm on the bus, now more people will try and avoid it too, making every other route busier then usual. Ikea weren't allowed by Fingal CC to open untill 11 because they were afraid of the traffic, but Lidl is being allowed open on a single lane route in a built up area at 8am on a weekday?

This is not the only supermarket in Ireland to open on a single lane road from early in the morning. I can't see thousands of people queqing @ 8am everyday to do a shop.....

People need to get over themselves, JC's was never called on to close because it's on a single lane road, the Pavillions is on a single lane road coming from Swords.

The biggest nightmare in the town is that there is no road linking the Manor to Rivervalley & all Traffic uses the Main street / Dublin Road to go from one to the other.

Advertisement