Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

not living in Swords anymore but decided to give JC's a bit of support yesterday because of the opening of Lidl.

Purposely went up the rathbeale road from the main st. side to see what all the fuss is about.

I am so so glad I dont live there anymore.
    The traffic was incredible. People trying to turn right into Lidl was causing all that tailback.

I'm not in the least bit surprised that planning was approved for this. It just proves a point to me.

I'm all for competition, but not when it affects peoples lives. the poor folk on the buses that have to take that route every day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup I'm dreading the journey home on the 41 x, so far I've avoided it since lidl opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Took my Dad 25 minutes on the bus to get from the stop after Main Street (near turn for Watery Lane) to the stop near Lidl the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There was another multi-vehicle crash yesterday, outside Lidl. No-one badly injured!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are there any photos of this place? Curious to see what it's like without having to bother to drive up to it. :pac: Will probably stick to the Balbriggan version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Stopped into Lidl yday out of curiosity and I can safely say it absolutely muck... Just like any other lidl.

Very poor food selection with the majority of the food being foreign brand.

Supoort your own I say, everyone to JC's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Personally I wouldn't shop in JC's if it were the last supermarket in Swords, it's expensive, chaotic and full of Special Offers with dubious discounts that can be found cheaper almost anywhere else.

Not noticed traffic being any worse on any of my trips up or down the Rathbeal road either. Not likely to shop in Lidl either mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Are there any photos of this place? Curious to see what it's like without having to bother to drive up to it. :pac: Will probably stick to the Balbriggan version.

I've never been in the Balbriggan Lidl but have been told it's much bigger than the Swords one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Stopped into Lidl yday out of curiosity and I can safely say it absolutely muck... Just like any other lidl.

What did you expect? Dancing Girls? They are like McDonalds, you get more or less the same in ever store in the country. Last time I was in JCs they had UK, French, German, Spanish, Italy etc food products! Even a good part of there famed cheap as chips fruit and veg is foreign.

What did you expect? Dancing Girls? They are like McDonalds, you get more or less the same in ever store in the country.

Do you work for lidl?

"Say absoultely muck, just like any other lidl" Meaning all lidl's are muck !
    Last time I was in JCs they had UK, French, German, Spanish, Italy etc food products! Even a good part of there famed cheap as chips fruit and veg is foreign.

Well naturally :confused: I'd be very surprised if all there food was Irish. I never said anything about all there food being Irish. I probably should of clarified - jcs are selling more irish meats and brands then lidl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Do you work for lidl?

"Say absoultely muck, just like any other lidl" Meaning all lidl's are muck !

No......why when anyone presents a counter argument in this forum someone jumps up and accuses the person of working for the people/company they defend. I seriously worry about democracy in Ireland.

Well naturally :confused: I'd be very surprised if all there food was Irish. I never said anything about all there food being Irish. I probably should of clarified - jcs are selling more irish meats and brands then lidl

I presume "then" should be "than"

Your comparing two different things here, your saying JC sells more Irish brands than Lidl. Lidl and Aldi until recent enough use to carry just own brand, that doesn't mean that Lidl own brand isnt Irish because its not an Irish brand like Barry's Tea that you know.

Look at the EU meat codes in Lidl and they have quite high amount of Irish meat products. It wouldn't make sense for JC to have its own branded range as they are only one store and lets face it JCs is the retail clearing house for many distributors and manufacturers so wouldn't need an own brand. The odd time in the past you could even buy some other UK supermarkets branded products in JCs!

Yes, JC is selling more "Irish brands" because they don't have an own brand range. Not so sure about your meat claim and Lidl carry a large range of Irish produced products under there own brands. Perhaps you have some evidence to back up your statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Not so sure about your meat claim and Lidl carry a large range of Irish produced products under there own brands

I presume there should be their

No......why when anyone presents a counter argument in this forum someone jumps up and accuses the person of working for the people/company they defend. I seriously worry about democracy in Ireland.

Your comparing two different things here, your saying JC sells more Irish brands than Lidl. Lidl and Aldi until recent enough use to carry just own brand, that doesn't mean that Lidl own brand isnt Irish because its not an Irish brand like Barry's Tea that you know.

Look at the EU meat codes in Lidl and they have quite high amount of Irish meat products. It wouldn't make sense for JC to have its own branded range as they are only one store and lets face it JCs is the retail clearing house for many distributors and manufacturers so wouldn't need an own brand. The odd time in the past you could even buy some other UK supermarkets branded products in JCs!

Yes, JC is selling more "Irish brands" because they don't have an own brand range. Not so sure about your meat claim and Lidl carry a large range of Irish produced products under there own brands. Perhaps you have some evidence to back up your statement?

hahahahahahahah - that is all :o

Have a good day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Inquitus wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't shop in JC's if it were the last supermarket in Swords, it's expensive, chaotic and full of Special Offers with dubious discounts that can be found cheaper almost anywhere else.

Not noticed traffic being any worse on any of my trips up or down the Rathbeal road either. Not likely to shop in Lidl either mind.
    Really? Try driving from the Main Street to JC's at about 5:30. It's a nightmare. I keep forgetting to go around by the manor on my way home.

Haven't gone into Lidl yet as I was in the one in Ashbourne and assume they're all fairly similar.
    Will continue to go to JC's as the white pudding is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Spell Czechs is over that-a-way... >>>

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Lidl will never have cheaper brand name beers than JC'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

lac007 wrote: »
    Lidl will never have cheaper brand name beers than JC'S.

Maybe not, but so what?

Are "brand name" beers supposed to be superior to "non-brand name" beers?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Maybe not, but so what?

Are "brand name" beers supposed to be superior to "non-brand name" beers?
    Not saying that they are but if your having a party in the house its looks bad if You give someone a Lidl beer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Not saying that they are but if your having a party in the house its looks bad if You give someone a Lidl beer.:D

I'd drink a Lidl beer before a lot of that so called branded s**te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Give someone beer? LOL!!!!!!!!!!! BYOB all the way.

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    Give someone beer? LOL!!!!!!!!!!! BYOB all the way.
    I must be too generous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dragging up an old thread but my god, the traffic for the past two months on Rathbeale Road with people trying to get in and out of Lidl is appalling.

The carpark appears too small to cope at peak times so people are literally backed up onto the road trying to get in.

Today the traffic from Lidl went all the way down to the Eircom office/parking lot near the castle when I drove down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

From the very beginning that was the only problem I had with Lidl opening up on the Rathbeale road. I don't know how the planners allowed it to open beside an already huge traffic magnet i.e. JC's. The Woodies site at Seatown would have been ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

^^^Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Agree, if you look at the other Lidls close by like Coolock and Finglas, they both have car parks that can easily handle the traffic volume at peak times. Rathbeale Road is a disaster and there is no scope to extend that car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

if your having a party in the house its looks bad if You give someone a Lidl beer.:D

:confused::confused::confused:

Actually some of the LIDL beer is actually nicer than the likes of Coors / Bud. There are some great Czech beers.

Also the stubby beers you can get are very nice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The fact they had the bare minimum amount of spaces for planning (and then built over a number of them for the bakery) was flagged numerous times by residents, but the CC didn't care.
    I rarely drive down the Rathbeale Rd now unless I need to go to JCs and I do that as early as possible and from the other direction.

I don't know if it's true for retail developments as well but I know that for other types of development the council has a max number of parking spaces requirement, and not a min. The mind boggles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Wife was in Lidl this morning and was speaking to the Manager who told her they hope to have another store opened in Swords by the end of the year, wondering if anyone else has heard anything about it? Where it's likely to go?

Advertisement