Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Serious amount of people parking in JCs and then skipping off to Lidl to shop. JCs have signs up about clamping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Excellent analysis but a rather small sample.

Don't you think it would be wiser to analyse traffic over a few months rather than over a few hours?

Absolutely nothing is proven over a few hours analysis.

In fairness I did express the hope that it was opening day excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Serious amount of people parking in JCs and then skipping off to Lidl to shop. JCs have signs up about clamping.

Probably with JC's shopping bags too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's crappy. The size of the carpark for Lidl was always going to be an issue, and it was obvious how bad when the hoardings came down.

I bet JCs will be building up those walls pretty quick. They might go as far as ticketed parking, which has to be validated in their store, though this would be a pain for their own customers.

There'd also be some legitimate parking for library usage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's crappy. The size of the carpark for Lidl was always going to be an issue, and it was obvious how bad when the hoardings came down.

I bet JCs will be building up those walls pretty quick. They might go as far as ticketed parking, which has to be validated in their store, though this would be a pain for their own customers.

There'd also be some legitimate parking for library usage.
    There's also been a multi car accident on the Rathbeale road now too.
    The parking spaces and opening hours are the main issues, there is nowhere near enough parking in Lidl for the size of the supermarket. JC's does not open before 9 regularly and does have adequate parking spaces for the size of the complex.

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »

That's awful! Was anyone hurt?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Ginny wrote: »
    The parking spaces and opening hours are the main issues, there is nowhere near enough parking in Lidl for the size of the supermarket. JC's does not open before 9 regularly and does have adequate parking spaces for the size of the complex.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's awful! Was anyone hurt?

Heard there was four cars involved in total, haven't heard if any major injuries were sustained by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

And so it begins... :cool:

Hopefully no-one was badly injured today. And hopefully the traffic will calm down.

RE parking: There will be less parking again if the Bakery part goes ahead.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

AFAIK there is a bakery in there now? I might be wrong though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Traffic an absolute nightmare around JCs and Lidl, it's like christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Releax people, it will cool down :)
    it's the first day of the shop opening.... Course it's going to be madness.

Back to normal after the weekend id say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Releax people, it will cool down :)
    it's the first day of the shop opening.... Course it's going to be madness.

Back to normal after the weekend id say.

I doubt it, I was down in JCs earlier and the biggest issue was cars trying to turn right into Lidl, there was a big tailback of traffic

Stheno wrote: »
    I doubt it, I was down in JCsearlier and the biggest issue was cars trying to turn right into Lidl, there was a big tailback of traffic

Yes cause the shop only opened and people want to check it out...

people are strange in the way that if there is something new they will want to see what its like, what they have to offer, bargains etc... I know if i wasn't working I would be one of them people trying to get parking to see what they have.. :P

Its like any other lidl people will soon realize that
    and eventually it will quieten down with the same numbers going into the store as any other lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Ive never seen tailbacks that bad on the rathbeale rd as today.Damn you German retailer.:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes cause the shop only opened and people want to check it out...

I'd actually argue that it's being caused by the fact that unlike the turn into JCs there is no filter lane traffic can move into to keep normal traffic flowing freely

I was just up there. Having read the reports, I went around by Applewood and approached from the Ashbourne end and there was no problem getting to JCs, who were about the usual level of busy for this time of day. Coming home, I went down by Lidl. Small tail back to where they border each other, but the tail back on the other side went down past the lights almost as far as the bridge by the HSE place. I turned down watery lane and the tail back went around the corner but not as far as BMS.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd actually argue that it's being caused by the fact that unlike the turn into JCs there is no filter lane traffic can move into to keep normal traffic flowing freely

I'd definitely agree with that. I walked up past Lidl today on my way to JCs and some of the cars trying to turn right into Lidl were positioning themselves across the centre of the road trying to force other cars to stop and let them in. There was so much beeping going on.

When I got to JCs I saw a massive sign facing into JCs carpark that said 'Lidl Now Open" which I thought was quite cheeky! As I was leaving the staff from JCs seemed to be trying to put their own sign up but it wasn't high enough to cover the Lidl one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

celticbest wrote: »
    Why? There are plently of ways to avoid the Rathbeale Road, it's not as if it's the only route in and out of Swords.......

JC's has never been a real issue and I'm sure once the initial rush to Lidl calms down it will be much the same.

Ah come on now - the Rathbeale Road is a major in/out to and from the village. Sure it's not the only route, but to play it down and suggest that people will simply divert onto other roads with no consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

This is not the only supermarket in Ireland to open on a single lane road from early in the morning. I can't see thousands of people queqing @ 8am everyday to do a shop.....

People need to get over themselves, JC's was never called on to close because it's on a single lane road, the Pavillions is on a single lane road coming from Swords.

The biggest nightmare in the town is that there is no road linking the Manor to Rivervalley & all Traffic uses the Main street / Dublin Road to go from one to the other.

Sure it's not, but no two roads are identical. And as mentioned already, there is a dedicated right turn lane into JC's heading out.

As for your Pavillions analogy - total rubbish. The main traffic is on the R132, which is a dual carriageway as we all know.

Agreed on the link road though.

Dropped into JCs this evening coming from the Ashbourne end of the Rathbeale road at 6:45.

The traffic at that end was fine, but there was a massive tailback beyond the Watery Road lights in place, the 41x that would normally drop me off at Glen Ellan road traffic lights was sitting miserably in it!

I reckon the solution here is a decent set of traffic lights, that accomodates both the right hand turns into Lidl and onto Brackenstown road?

I rarely if ever use the main street to get where I am going, unless I need petrol in Topaz, and even then I'll often go down seatown road and onto the dual carriageway then off at pinnock hill if I need to get to the topaz, or off at the pavillion exit if I'm going there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Ah come on now - the Rathbeale Road is a major in/out to and from the village. Sure it's not the only route, but to play it down and suggest that people will simply divert onto other roads with no consequences?
    Sure it's not, but no two roads are identical. And as mentioned already, there is a dedicated right turn lane into JC's heading out.

As for your Pavillions analogy - total rubbish. The main traffic is on the R132, which is a dual carriageway as we all know.

Agreed no two roads are the same but if you know one road is busy and another is not why not use the road that is not?

:eek: I have often seen the Malahide Road backed up from a hundred meters after you turn off Main street all the way up to the Pavillions R/A.
    Agreed on the link road though.

Cheers :D

How was Traffic flow this morning? Must have been quietier as nobody has been on about it this morning.....;)

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Agreed no two roads are the same but if you know one road is busy and another is not why not use the road that is not?

:eek: I have often seen the Malahide Road backed up from a hundred meters after you turn off Main street all the way up to the Pavillions R/A.

Cheers :D

How was Traffic flow this morning? Must have been quietier as nobody has been on about it this morning.....;)

Driven past it twice today so far and no delays !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Stuff I've heard from very good sources:
    Lidl staff all parked in JCs car park yesterday! They've been told not to park in their own car park. When they were run out of savages they parked along the brackenstown road.

Some suppliers have been told not to supply discount lines to jcs anymore.

Support your own I reckon. I've no connection to jcs but I won't be shopping in lidl.

tbh wrote: »
    Stuff I've heard from very good sources:
    Lidl staff all parked in JCs car park yesterday! They've been told not to park in their own car park. When they were run out of savages they parked along the brackenstown road.

Some suppliers have been told not to supply discount lines to jcs anymore.

Some sort of ticketing system in JCs carpark might be no harm - like they do down at the Castle shopping centre. Get it validated in JCs, the newsagents, Dunne's or the library.

I see the signs about the clamping state a maximum of 2 hours and I'm sure they've someone checking the car regs but I wonder about people using the library. I've used it for study a fair bit over the last while (I don't drive) and there are people who are there everyday that drive down. I wonder if any of them will get clamped.

If it's true about the suppliers then that is absolutely disgraceful. Personally I don't think I'd have any need for Lidl. The fruit and veg in JCs can't be beaten as far as I'm concerned, the shop is bigger and you can find a member of staff when you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Driving home through Swords and up Rathbeale road the last few days at about 5:30pm.
    Thge traffic is backed up all the way up the main street from people turning right to go into Lidl. Once you pass Lidl you are flying.
    This is just a disaster. The solution here is just close the car park in Lidl and let lidl pay JCs to use theirs.
    At least ban right turns into Lidl.
    Whoever granted planning permission for this should be strung up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Caseywhale wrote: »
    Whoever granted planning permission for this should be strung up.

Brown envelope job I reckon! :rolleyes:

My parents live opposite JC's so you can imagine the nightmare they're having!! I was up there today about 2pm and the traffic was backed up both directions at Lidl. It really is a joke!! BUT, at 5.30, the traffic was gone.

Personally I don't think Lidl is all that.
    Haven't been to the one in swords yet, but there all the same imo.

Cheap tasteless food, with the odd bargain here and there. Only good thing in it is fruit & veg and that doesn't even be that great. Would never purchase the meat from it.

JC's on the other hand - Great meat deli (huge selection, different portions flavors etc). Great reasonably priced FRESH fruit and veg selection. Loads off different cuts of packed meat to choose from. Overall a great selection of all foods, drinks at great prices.

I know I wont be switching over from JC's to Lidl anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Personally I don't think Lidl is all that.
    Haven't been to the one in swords yet, but there all the same imo.

Cheap tasteless food, with the odd bargain here and there. Only good thing in it is fruit & veg and that doesn't even be that great. Would never purchase the meat from it.

JC's on the other hand - Great meat deli (huge selection, different portions flavors etc). Great reasonably priced FRESH fruit and veg selection. Loads off different cuts of packed meat to choose from. Overall a great selection of all foods, drinks at great prices.

I know I wont be switching over from JC's to Lidl anyway.

Funnily enough, I am going to make a more spirited effort to throw JC's a few quid too. I dont drop in nearly enough, and as you say, the meat is mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Interesting related piece on broadsheet.ie today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ha, that looks ridiculous!

Advertisement