Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well it's sleeting and wet-snowing below the 200m I predicted, but I don't see any sign of the disruption that was forecast? Maybe from flooding and high winds (ferries cancelled) but I haven't heard of any problems on the roads at low levels in the Republic (yes roads in Donegal, Wicklow, etc,) but at sea level? I've just driven from Tallaght (105m - sleet) to Naas (100m - rain). The majority of the ME stations around the country are reporting rain or sleet, so it's still not the winter whiteout. But there is still time later

Lashing snow in Newbridge at 91m ASL , actually the snow is been driven side wards in the winds

Temp 0.8

DP -0.3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hi everyone,

Fermanagh still getting battered with high winds and blizzard like conditions.

Roads were rough getting home, and I've taken a few photos here:

YESTERDAY: (Posted earlier on the thread)
    snow.jpg

TODAY: (Taken at the same spot about 20 mins ago)
    snow1-1.jpg

Two more taken about 5 mins ago:
    snow2-1.jpg
    snow3-1.jpg
    the snow seems to have given the shed has a new colour!!

Will post here if there's any changes or if the storm/snow gets worse!

was the ground near you waterlogged lol?? it seems to be waterlogged everywhere in ni... just bits of waterlogged.. still snowing..?? worreid!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

pp_me wrote: »
    8.5 degrees in waterford city? snow shield :(
    Stiff breeze, occasional drops of rain or sleet, bright day. There was a dusting of something white on the peaks of the Comeraghs earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Temp dropping fast out in Kildare

OutsideTempHistory.gif

Ohmy its the day after tomorrow....coming this way :eek:

ok had a sleety snow show but dry again. The wind is the worst thing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Forgive my ignorance but what are dew points and what's their relevance to snow fall? I just note that its currently 8c at Roches Pt with a dew point of 0c whilst it is only 1c at dublin airport but the dew point at also 1c is higher than at Roches Pt.

Thanks in advance....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Seems a bit full on Jon. Wouldn't 'severe blizzards' equate to severe drifting and heavy snowfall rather than them being 3 separate entities?

Don't shoot the messenger! - Severe Blizzards, Severe Drifting Snow & Very Heavy Snowfall is how this event is described in the Met Office warnings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

owenc wrote: »
    was the ground near you waterlogged lol?? it seems to be waterlogged everywhere in ni... just bits of waterlogged.. still snowing..?? worreid!:mad:

Yes, very!! Altho the "water" in the back round is actually the River Erne!! LOL!!

Roads were flooded on the way home, mixed in the slush already there, made for some tricky conditions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Good news is satellite dishes should be unaffected unlike the blizzard last January, had to clear snow twice from the dish back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snowjon wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger! - Severe Blizzards, Severe Drifting Snow & Very Heavy Snowfall is how this event is described in the Met Office warnings :)

I know..;)

What are your rainfall totals to date jon from this spell of weather?

Yes, very!! Altho the "water" in the back round is actually the River Erne!! LOL!!

Roads were flooded on the way home, mixed in the slush already there, made for some tricky conditions!!

yes its now snowing in derry and ballymoney... blizzard like here... shall see in next hour...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    Good news is satellite dishes should be unaffected unlike the blizzard last January, had to clear snow twice from the dish back then.

I never had that problem . . .because i only have the poverty channels!!! Bog 1, 2, 3 and 4!!!

No sign of snow here, and still mild 4- 5 degrees i'd say!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Where is the LP centre off to! :confused: Going west? Still snowing but not enough to stick. Will probably clear soon from the east!

I know..;)

What are your rainfall totals to date jon from this spell of weather?

Don't talk to me! My bloomin' rain gauge stopped working about 3 months ago and I still haven't got round to replacing it - the rainfall totals would be monumental once this has finished. I think there is a recording station at Helen's Bay so hopefully we'll hear some totals from there over the next day or two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Heavy rain here at the mo and the temp has dropped to 4.6c No chance of snow but the wind has really started to howl - lovely sound! :D:D

Don't talk to me! My bloomin' rain gauge stopped working about 3 months ago and I still haven't got round to replacing it - the rainfall totals would be monumental once this has finished. I think there is a recording station at Helen's Bay so hopefully we'll hear some totals from there over the next day or two :)

Oh damn, nothing worse than that :(. It sounds a bit daft but you could use an ordinary mug (equal width top and bottom) to collect and measure rainfall while you are waiting to replace sensor. Does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Forgive my ignorance but what are dew points and what's their relevance to snow fall? I just note that its currently 8c at Roches Pt with a dew point of 0c whilst it is only 1c at dublin airport but the dew point at also 1c is higher than at Roches Pt.

Thanks in advance....

Dew points indicate the amount of moisture in the air. The higher the dew points, the higher the moisture content of the air at a given temperature. Back in the beginning of march we had very dry air from the east over us and as a result dewpoint temperatures were down to -7 in places.

So Dew point temperature is defined as follows: "the temperature to which the air would have to cool (at constant pressure and constant water vapor content) in order to reach saturation. A state of saturation exists when the air is holding the maximum amount of water vapor possible at the existing temperature and pressure"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Dew points indicate the amount of moisture in the air. The higher the dew points, the higher the moisture content of the air at a given temperature. Back in the beginning of march we had very dry air from the east over us and as a result dewpoint temperatures were down to -7 in places.

So Dew point temperature is defined as follows: "the temperature to which the air would have to cool (at constant pressure and constant water vapor content) in order to reach saturation. A state of saturation exists when the air is holding the maximum amount of water vapor possible at the existing temperature and pressure"

Thanks.

Fionagus wrote: »
    Heavy rain here at the mo and the temp has dropped to 4.6c No chance of snow but the wind has really started to howl - lovely sound! :D:D

At least you are getting something. Wind not increasing at all here inland yet. :o 16mph mean currently with gusts not passing 32mph, backing more to the north in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

same here . what have we done to offend the snow gods!? i bet it'll turn to snow at the every end when it's about to clear.

Oh damn, nothing worse than that :(. It sounds a bit daft but you could use an ordinary mug (equal width top and bottom) to collect and measure rainfall while you are waiting to replace sensor. Does the job nicely.

I'm too lazy to go out and empty it regularly in these conditions though!
    Just bto give you an idea though - this is the river in Ward Park in Bangor an hour ago
    wardPark30032010.jpg

and this is the "duck pond" that has reached a depth of over 1 inch at the back of my garden! :

gardenFlood30032010.jpg

And we still have the snow to come......

• Advertisement

The buff knows his stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cp9a

Still snowing in Kildare Town but not sticking. Thinking of taking a trip up the Sally gap. See what the weather's like up there.

I'm too lazy to go out and empty it regularly in these conditions though!
    Just bto give you an idea though - this is the river in Ward Park in Bangor an hour ago
    wardPark30032010.jpg

and this is the "duck pond" that has reached a depth of over 1 inch at the back of my garden! :

gardenFlood30032010.jpg

And we still have the snow to come......
    ano its soo worrying.. though nothing like that... was it like that down in enniskillen?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

cp9a wrote: »
    Still snowing in Kildare Town but not sticking. Thinking of taking a trip up the Sally gap. See what the weather's like up there.

Don't! If you get up you will not get back! I'd say there must be at least a foot of snow up there.

nearest staion is 1.5c so much be near 0c here... so wont be long if it keep sdropping..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

still pelting down here... roads are starting to get a layer of white now over the slush. starting to look a bit dangerous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

At least you are getting something. Wind not increasing at all here inland yet. :o 16mph mean currently with gusts not passing 32mph, backing more to the north in the last while.
    Still a NW'ly here with some strong gusts when the rain peps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

please people can we have some more pics, I am just out of hospital and am house bound for the next few days. All i can see is this lovely snow flying past my windows and nothing else as noone is posting pictures and by the time RTE get out and show us a picture of a bit of sleet in donybrook it will all be over.... I wonder if they will show that fellow who fell on his arse during the last snow even this evening again... that was funny:D

Getting some isolated gusts from the NE now although mean direction is still NNW with temp beginning to fall 4.1c currently with rain temp falling also, on 3.5c. currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

is it all going pearshaped or too early to say? the system seems to be drifting south and slightly west.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement