Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

why is it still masons could they not think up a new name?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

why is it still masons could they not think up a new name?:confused:

It wasnt bought by anybody and if and when it does leave the banks possession it may still be called Masons if the new owner decided it would cost too much to get all the signage changed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Masons not opening for Rag week now either.Is it still just a problem with the fire officer thats holding it up or whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Masons not opening for Rag week now either.Is it still just a problem with the fire officer thats holding it up or whats going on?
    Jaysus, that will be a big loss to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

Well if you are going to do structural and materials changes without telling the firechief and applying for a new fire cert these things are going to happen. From what I heard the firechief is a nasty bit of work and is a very hard man to deal with.
    But whoever is opening Masons should have known about something as simple as a fire cert!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Many years ago in another life I used to have to deal with a fire chief on a regular basis relating to a business I managed. I knew the guy outside of work and he was fine. When it came to safety he was a seriously difficult and inflexible person to deal with. I reckon that's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Spadzy wrote: »
    Well if you are going to do structural and materials changes without telling the firechief and applying for a new fire cert these things are going to happen. From what I heard the firechief is a nasty bit of work and is a very hard man to deal with.
    But whoever is opening Masons should have known about something as simple as a fire cert!!

Sounds like the basics were not followed,
    You can't so much as move an exit sign without the fire officer signing off on a fire cert.
    It's no wonder he is pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

old gregg wrote: »
    Many years ago in another life I used to have to deal with a fire chief on a regular basis relating to a business I managed. I knew the guy outside of work and he was fine. When it came to safety he was a seriously difficult and inflexible person to deal with. I reckon that's the way it should be.

Agreed. When it comes to safety in a crowded place like that, there should be no wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why is someone who sticks to the letter of the requirements on something as important as fire safety be considered a 'nasty bit of work'. Are you suggesting he should maybe take backhanders to pass premises, or do it on a nod and a wink basis. If there were a serious fire he would be the one answering questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

looksee wrote: »
    Why is someone who sticks to the letter of the requirements on something as important as fire safety be considered a 'nasty bit of work'. Are you suggesting he should maybe take backhanders to pass premises, or do it on a nod and a wink basis. If there were a serious fire he would be the one answering questions.

i have dealt with this man in question several time - and he is uncompromising in his work (which i respect) but is rude to deal with, arrogant and abusive. ive dealt with his office many times over the years, through many fire officers and they were all a pleasure to deal with. They would point out a potential problem and tell me to put it on a regular check list, tell me about upcoming new regulations, no prob, ill take it in my stride. this guy thinks i must know everything about his upcoming regulations and have them in place for him before he arrives. Im not a fire professional, but i do everything im told to do. it would be great to work with people who don't keep saying "ill object to your license if your don't do this or that, or ill close you down! end of rant!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

15th February
    Masons: Due to reasons beyond our control we are sorry to announce that we will not be opening this weekend with the finishing line in sight all Good things come to those who wait...see you soon !!!

Last Thursday
    Masons: Hey everybody Masons live music venue & club re-opening Friday 1st march drop in & see the new look. We have an exciting line up for the opening weekend full details will be posted in the comming days .Hope to c u all at some stage over the weekend !!!!!!

Monday

Masons: We are happy to announce that we are open Friday 1st March join us wont you !!!

Thursday
    Masons: Hey everybody apologies in advance masons will not open this Friday as advertised a new date for Jenny Greene will be announced in the coming weeks we are as much frustrated by this as you are we hope you all enjoy the new look and improvements we have made for you our loyal customers. Watch out for revised opening and gig listings to be posted in coming days.

http://www.facebook.com/masons.waterford#

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

They would seriously want to Hold off on Any more announcements till they are 100% certain. It's looking a little amateur hour at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Who owns it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Who owns it now?

Bank as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

shur are the banks not the masons after all,

with the old fire cert in place ,would there have to have been a tactical objection to them opening without having it amended? if the works were only cosmetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Hoffmans wrote: »
    shur are the banks not the masons after all,

with the old fire cert in place ,would there have to have been a tactical objection to them opening without having it amended? if the works were only cosmetic...
    The works weren't major but they definitely would require an amendment to the fire cert. Max capacity for this area or that area, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

looksee wrote: »

Nope I wouldn’t expect that at all but it is always nice to deal with someone who is pleasant and helpful in their job and not someone who will just make life hard because they can like this man does.
    After speaking to someone from masons he told them not to ring him again and that they will see him when they see him…………….what kind of attitude is that to have. He is holding up the opening of a premise which means the creation of employment in this ****hole of a city! Just cause he can!!!

Nope I wouldn’t expect that at all but it is always nice to deal with someone who is pleasant and helpful in their job and not someone who will just make life hard because they can like this man does.
    After speaking to someone from masons he told them not to ring him again and that they will see him when they see him…………….what kind of attitude is that to have. He is holding up the opening of a premise which means the creation of employment in this ****hole of a city! Just cause he can!!!

I doubt he is holding it up just because he can,
    They breached fire regs of course he is going to come down hard on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nypd wrote: »
    I doubt he is holding it up just because he can,
    They breached fire regs of course he is going to come down hard on them.
    What fire regulations were breached exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If that statement was made maliciously then Masons would be justified in going to his superior, whoever that is. However it is also possible - and I don't know, I am just offering the argument - that if Masons had been on to him arguing the necessity to do the job, rather than just getting on with it the FO would be justified in saying, 'look, stop ringing me, just get the job done'.

Yes it would be nice to deal with someone smiling and pleasant, but a lot of people would take that to mean soft and pliable, he has a difficult job to do and is responsible for lives. How many people on here remember the Stardust tragedy? If fire regulations had been adhered to that would not have been so serious, in fact would probably not have happened at all.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    What fire regulations were breached exactly?

Changes were made without a fire cert being applied for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Nypd wrote: »
    Changes were made without a fire cert being applied for.

Is that a serious no no? Looking on it not having a clue about this kind of thing it surprises me that it could delay an opening by a few weeks at this stage. They gonna miss out on a good few quid patricks day now

ziedth wrote: »

Is that a serious no no? Looking on it not having a clue about this kind of thing it surprises me that it could delay an opening by a few weeks at this stage. They gonna miss out on a good few quid patricks day now

Massive no no,
    Fire officer needs to sign off on the fire cert before any work can be started.
    From what i hear he wasn't consulted at all.
    I hear he is a tough cookie to deal with but on the other hand I hear once you have all boxes ticked he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It goes on.
    Re-opening Friday 17th March

56Qu85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

It goes on.

56Qu85.jpg

Friday is the 15th! They just haven't got a clue ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

That's just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Paddys day 2017 is a Friday, Mabey they'll be open by then,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This is providing to be some entertainment!

Maybe it's some genius new marketing campaign..... get people talking about them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ziedth wrote: »
    Maybe it's some genius new marketing campaign..... get people talking about them anyway

Yeah, nothing says good PR like people thinking the crowd that run the place are incompetent as feck :pac:

Advertisement