Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Millem wrote: »
    I seriously need proper nursing bras.....going to try and go out tomorrow morning when my older boy is in monte! From my limited research. Online I see next and debenhams have some. M and s have only 1/2.
    Does anyone know if next in Dundrum have them? If not maybe debenhams in Tallaght is my best bet? Need to get measured.

Does anyone have the nursing vests from next? If so are they long?
    Thanks

House of Fraser in Dundrum do hotmilk and a couple other brands, love the hotmilk sleep bras

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We have made it past the 6 week mark :)
    I have my own consultant check up on Friday and need to pump and leave milk with my husband as I could be gone for 2-3 hours. Any idea how much I should leave? I just have a Hakka type pump. Baby is 6 weeks and weighs 12lbs.
    No idea if he will even take a bottle tbh but better safe than sorry. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would you not bring the baby? I fed all the way through my 6 week check

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Will the baby not have a check up as well?

No we had the baby's check today. My consultant and pediatrician sit on different days. :( I fed him on and off today at his appointment.
    I don't want to bring baby into town again tbh. We drove in today but it was so hectic with traffic and parking we were 20 mins late! I will get bus myself on Friday and baby has a little cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

An oz for every hour you're away it what's recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We have made it past the 6 week mark :)
    I have my own consultant check up on Friday and need to pump and leave milk with my husband as I could be gone for 2-3 hours. Any idea how much I should leave? I just have a Hakka type pump. Baby is 6 weeks and weighs 12lbs.
    No idea if he will even take a bottle tbh but better safe than sorry. ;)

Check out kellymom. They advise 1-1.5oz for every hour you are away.

Also, congrats on six weeks of BFing. That’s the tough part over. Feeding gets much easier from here!

So it’s been plain-sailing for months, but now we have two teeth halfway up and my nipples hurt! He seems to be grazing the edge of my nipple with his wee teeth while feeding. I’ve had the occasional bite too so I’m dreading more teeth!

I’m trying (and failing) to get a deeper latch in the hope that his teeth will be covered by his tongue? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not really. But it passed very quickly for me. Hopefully he will get the hang of the teeth son.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I found that my son adjusted to each new tooth very quickly - a few nips at first but then he would adjust his latch and he'd be fine. By the time we stopped at 15 months he had 14 teeth and there were very few bites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Have you tried flipple technique for deep latch?

I found that my son adjusted to each new tooth very quickly - a few nips at first but then he would adjust his latch and he'd be fine. By the time we stopped at 15 months he had 14 teeth and there were very few bites.

Jaz....14 teeth at 15 month's... That's amazing! My lo is 14 months with 6 up. She's cutting at least 3 more at the moment a whole 6 months after the last 4 came within a few weeks of each other.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Have you tried flipple technique for deep latch?

Yes, I’ve been trying that since last night but still sore! Not as sore as the early days though thankfully, hoping it won’t get that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zebra2016

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice.

Nursing a 14month old, and have symptoms of mastitis today. Have often had mastitis before, but it seems worse this time. I just feel really bad. I have done all the usual things, such as massage, feeding baby as much as possible let and on all fours position, hot shower, and and I know it will take time to resolve, but this seems to be the worst bout of mastitis I have gotten, in terms of severity of symptoms. Feel like I might throw up, headache, chills, pain in legs, weak and cold, plus very sore breast. Just took paracetamol and it has provided a little relief.

I am worried because it's a bank holiday weekend and I think I might need a prescription if I don't improve by tomorrow. I have never sought out meds for it before, as always just about managed it myself. Wondering what would be my options tomorrow, thinking about giving south doc a call in the morning to get script.

I know medical advice can't be given on the forum but was wondering how could I get a prescription if I needed one quickly

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I think calling south doc is your best/only option, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Yup agree with this. Do you have a thermometer? Check your temperature

Zebra hope you got sorted. Vhi Swiftcare opened at 8am-10pm. Could be an option if you are a vhi member....it only costs €5o or less now on majority of plans.
    The chills etc are no joke. Mind yourself!
    On a separate note hand, foot and mouth is doing the rounds which also has fever etc so that could be possibly something to look out for ;)
    Mind yourself :)

Thank you, I think so too

Yup agree with this. Do you have a thermometer? Check your temperature

I will do that, good idea, i was very cold but now very hot

Thanks

Zebra hope you got sorted. Vhi Swiftcare opened at 8am-10pm. Could be an option if you are a vhi member....it only costs €5o or less now on majority of plans.
    On a separate note hand, foot and mouth is doing the rounds which also has fever etc so that could be possibly something to look out for ;)

Thanks so much, it sure is no joke, feel like a 90 year old, everybit of me hurts. Yes, I don't know anything about foot and mouth, will check that out. Not a VHI member, baby is thou. Good option otherwise. Am hoping I will feel better overnight, if not, I will have to call south doc so I can get a prescription.

Thanks for replying

• Advertisement

Zebra2016 wrote: »

Thanks so much, it sure is no joke, feel like a 90 year old, everybit of me hurts. Yes, I don't know anything about foot and mouth, will check that out. Not a VHI member, baby is thou. Good option otherwise. Am hoping I will feel better overnight, if not, I will have to call south doc so I can get a prescription.

Thanks for replying
    I found nurofen helped me. You can take normal one not the green one. But defo get a script! It's not worth it!
    Primecare gp in Dundrum/swords and Liffey valley Lucan direction also open on Sundays.
    We had hand, foot and mouth too here. Barely any spots you like less than 5 spots but had the fever, sore throat etc.
    Wouldn't of realised it was hand, foot and mouth to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Has anyone antenatally expressed colostrum? I am 37 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes so want to have some ready in case the baby's blood sugars are low at birth. I kept a hot water bottle on my boobs, massaged them and spent about 30 minutes getting three actual drops from one breast. That nipple stayed hard for hours after and the breast is still tender. I am hoping it's normal as it has never been 'worked' like that before. Nothing out of the other! Will try again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Zebra2016 wrote: »

Thanks for replying

Look up Kelly mom for the right type of antibiotics and the right length of course. I got prescribed the wrong antibiotics which stopped it getting worse but didn't make it better, had to go again. You want to make sure you get the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Has anyone antenatally expressed colostrum? I am 37 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes so want to have some ready in case the baby's blood sugars are low at birth. I kept a hot water bottle on my boobs, massaged them and spent about 30 minutes getting three actual drops from one breast. That nipple stayed hard for hours after and the breast is still tender. I am hoping it's normal as it has never been 'worked' like that before. Nothing out of the other! Will try again today.

I did. I had GD too. I think I started at about 37 weeks too.
    I had about 20 little syringes full by the time I went into the hospital (all got thrown out by the hospital after his first feed as baby didn't need them, seemed like such a waste).
    I used the hotwater bottle, or warm wet towel. I would sit down, away from everyone, and watch something in Netflix.
    It takes time, but once it started flowing, it kept coming.
    There are some great videos on YouTube for technique. Make sure to keep away from your nipple when you're messaging out.
    It might get easier the closer to full term you get too.
    Maybe moisturise you're breast too (with coconut oil, again avoid the nipple so that no oil gets onto the colostrum) if you're finding it painful afterwards. Might be friction

Looking for some words of wisdom. Baby is 9 weeks now. He is basically feeding every 2 hours during the day. Will only go for 1 nap if I am lucky :( feeds very in length 15 mins-40 minutes. It's exhausting.
    In the evening he cluster feeds which could be feeding constantly for 2 hours.
    At night I am getting a big stretch of maybe 4 hourish (say 9-1)then it could be every 2 hours again but short Feds.
    My husband managed to give him an expressed bottle yesterday while I was out but as soon as he saw me he wanted more!
    I am wrecked today. My 3 year old is sick so was up 3 times with him during the night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Sounds pretty normal, sorry if that's not what you want to hear! :( My son fed every two hours until he was about 7-8 months, he still wakes every two hours now at 2.5 even after he weaned just after 2.

Week 9 was probably the single hardest week I had after we got out from the hospital. My LO seemed attached to me 24/7 for the week. But it did pass after a few days and for us its been pretty much plain sailing since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Guys I don't know what to do, 4 month old is fussing massively at the breast and tonight just won't feed full stop. He arches his back and screams when I try and feed him or best case scenario, will feed for a couple of minutes and then cry and pull off. I just had to give him an expressed bottle which he guzzled. We were at a wedding on Thursday for 24 hours so he was on bottles for that period. I'm worried he's got too used to the ease of them. He was fussy before but 10 times worse since we got back.

I've tried feeding in a darkened room, feeding when he's not hungry so he's not manic, waiting til he's properly hungry so he's not fussy! I'm desperate here, don't know what to do.

Ncmc no idea as I am behind you....baby only 10 weeks!
    We did have a fussy period early on and I went back to basics.....stayed in bed and did skin and skin. I am sure someone on here will tell you what to do ;)

I was just wondering how long does expressed milk in a bottle in the fridge last? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

ncmc wrote: »
    Guys I don't know what to do, 4 month old is fussing massively at the breast and tonight just won't feed full stop. He arches his back and screams when I try and feed him or best case scenario, will feed for a couple of minutes and then cry and pull off. I just had to give him an expressed bottle which he guzzled. We were at a wedding on Thursday for 24 hours so he was on bottles for that period. I'm worried he's got too used to the ease of them. He was fussy before but 10 times worse since we got back.

I've tried feeding in a darkened room, feeding when he's not hungry so he's not manic, waiting til he's properly hungry so he's not fussy! I'm desperate here, don't know what to do.

Another thing worth trying is if he refuses breast to give him a little bottle then put him back to breast. Try him after every ounce if necessary. The overall key is to persist much as it sucks at the time when it's nor what baby wants.

If you haven't already look up paced bottle feeding. (Videos on you tube). It's a way of slowing down bottles so they have to work for them. Also if there's a lower flow version of your bottle teats (eg preemie) switch to that.

Advertisement