Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

Firstly, since this is my first time posting in this thread I just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted questions and advice up till now - I've read through every page during my now 13 weeks of breastfeeding and it saved my sanity at times! Just knowing that lots of different things could still be 'normal' and not to panic really helped, as well as the fact that so many people mentioned how much easier it gets with time (which I can now absolutely confirm!)

Secondly, in terms of breastfeeding support before vs after you have the baby, I'd agree with what a lot of other posters have said - once you have some general information about what to look out for anything else is really going to be about your individual circumstances and baby when you actually start feeding so I would wait until then to start spending money if you can at all. It might also be worth checking out what supports are available through your hospital - I found the LCs and midwives in hospital (Limerick) very good to help me in the first few days. They were crazy busy so we didn't have that much time, but I just called for help for most of the first feeds and we were off. There's also a local HSE breastfeeding clinic which I found good - we were lucky in that we didn't have any major issues, no tongue tie or anything so I don't know how it would be for that, but when I just needed reassurance that he was gaining weight (he lost over 10% of his birth weight so we were in hospital an extra night and it gave us a bit of a fright - turned out he was just a sleepy baby and once he woke up a bit he was grand) and that it can be normal for a baby to be latched on pretty much permanently in the first few weeks (which it was for us!) it was great to have someone there & because it's part of the maternity care it's free obviously:) so it might be worth investigating whether there's anything similar local to you. Like a lot of things I'm sure it would depend on the situation and who you met, but still worth investigating:)
    One more tip - because one of things you'll be looking out for is wet nappies, we found the ones with the line that turns blue quite reassuring, at least we knew it was definitely wet. I'm sure there are other ways to know but when we were just starting out and overwhelmed and sleep deprived I was taking all the short cuts I could;)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Someone mentioned Susan the LC from CUMH and I just googled her and found this. http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/yourhealth/working-lifesusan-odriscoll-lactation-consultant-cumh-423353.html I recognise her, I went to the Outpatient public BF clinic on a Wed in CUMH with no.2 and she was who I eventually saw.....after waiting hours, and hours. In hindsight why didn't I just stump for a private LC! She only had time to discuss one of my issues with me as well due to the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I'm hoping to get some advice about breastfeeding and going back to work. I'm going to ask at my local Cuidiú group as well but I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of it.

I'll be going back at the end of August and she'll be a week short of 6 months old. I'll be job sharing but even though it's only part time, I'm totally heartbroken about it! I'll be on a cycle of 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on and then 7 days off.

I'm lucky in that my husband will be a stay at home Dad so at least she'll be with him and the plan is for her to take expressed milk in a cup while I'm gone. We're planning to start trying the cup with her a couple of weeks beforehand. Has anyone used a Doidy cup before and am I crazy to expect her to just take it?

I'll be gone from about 8am until about 3.30pm and I'm only going to be able to express just once in the middle of the day, due to break time restrictions. Is that going to be enough?

Whatever I express one day, my husband will give the next day, although he'll divide it up and spread it between 2 or 3 feeds. I've loads in the freezer as a backup in case of spills etc but the plan is for her to take no more than I'm able to express, as I want my supply to keep up with her. Does that sound right?

I'm worried about two things really. Firstly, I'm worried about her feeling abandoned while I'm gone and secondly, I'm worried about keeping my supply going as I'd like to breastfeed until she's 2 at least. At the moment, we're together all the time and she's feeding on demand so the new routine goes against everything I believe in and everything we're both used to.

Also, once a fortnight I have to do yard duty (I'm a teacher) and I won't have any time to express at all. Does anyone know anything about my rights in this regard? I know there are provisions until 6 months old but do I have any rights at all after that? I plan to express during my own lunch time but that is impossible on the days when I don't get a proper lunch time in the first place! Are the school allowed to impose that on me? I'm not asking for additional breaks but I feel I should be entitled to a normal break like mothers in other professions would have. As a teacher, I've never complained about days with no break at all but now that I'm a mother, I have a different perspective on things!

I know I've asked a lot of different questions there so thanks if you can answer any of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'm hoping to get some advice about breastfeeding and going back to work. I'm going to ask at my local Cuidiú group as well but I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of it.

I'll be going back at the end of August and she'll be a week short of 6 months old. I'll be job sharing but even though it's only part time, I'm totally heartbroken about it! I'll be on a cycle of 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on and then 7 days off.

I'm lucky in that my husband will be a stay at home Dad so at least she'll be with him and the plan is for her to take expressed milk in a cup while I'm gone. We're planning to start trying the cup with her a couple of weeks beforehand. Has anyone used a Doidy cup before and am I crazy to expect her to just take it?

I'll be gone from about 8am until about 3.30pm and I'm only going to be able to express just once in the middle of the day, due to break time restrictions. Is that going to be enough?

Whatever I express one day, my husband will give the next day, although he'll divide it up and spread it between 2 or 3 feeds. I've loads in the freezer as a backup in case of spills etc but the plan is for her to take no more than I'm able to express, as I want my supply to keep up with her. Does that sound right?

I'm worried about two things really. Firstly, I'm worried about her feeling abandoned while I'm gone and secondly, I'm worried about keeping my supply going as I'd like to breastfeed until she's 2 at least. At the moment, we're together all the time and she's feeding on demand so the new routine goes against everything I believe in and everything we're both used to.

Also, once a fortnight I have to do yard duty (I'm a teacher) and I won't have any time to express at all. Does anyone know anything about my rights in this regard? I know there are provisions until 6 months old but do I have any rights at all after that? I plan to express during my own lunch time but that is impossible on the days when I don't get a proper lunch time in the first place! Are the school allowed to impose that on me? I'm not asking for additional breaks but I feel I should be entitled to a normal break like mothers in other professions would have. As a teacher, I've never complained about days with no break at all but now that I'm a mother, I have a different perspective on things!

I know I've asked a lot of different questions there so thanks if you can answer any of them. :)

I went back to work when my lb was 9mo, and continued to bf no problem. He did refuse any expressed milk though, so was fine on solids and water, which was grand, because he was a bit older, and well established on solids by then.
    Do you plan to baby led wean, or to go for purées? It can take a bit longer for them to become established on solids with blw.

She might take fine to cup feeding, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a lot of perseverance to get her used to it. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

Legally you're not entitled to any breaks, but you can ask. I was offered them when I went back

Obviously I meant you're not entitled to any extra breaks over and above what you normally get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Waterfaerie, try not to worry too much. I am not vastly experienced, but my wee boy just turned six months last week, and I went back to work last weekend. I'm working 2 days one week then three days the next, so similar to you. He is with his daddy or his grandparents when I'm in work.

With this in mind, I started solids at 5.5 months because I wanted him to be eating a little by the time I went back to work. I'm gone 8.30-6.30. I feed him before I leave, and he has a bit of porridge a few hours later, a 4oz bottle a little later, then vegetables or fruit for lunch, another 4oz bottle in the afternoon, then something for dinner, and then I'm home to feed him again before bedtime.

I don't get many breaks either (just two 15 min pumping breaks, which I've opted to take instead of a 30 min lunch). In that time, I managed to pump about 6oz total, but my pump is a single pump and not great. I feel I could have got a lot more if I had more time or a double pump.

So if I was you, I would consider starting her on solids a little before you go back.... because you're unlikely to be able to pump enough in your lunch break to last her all day the next day. It's great that you have a freezer stash though. That should take the pressure off.

If you don't already have a good pump, preferably a double pump, consider investing in one. And I think it's totally reasonable for you to request that you skip on your yard duty because you need to pump. That's a really legitimate reason, and I'm sure everyone will be understanding.

It's also great that you will have lots of time off, and can breastfeed away on your days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

There's also a really helpful Facebook group called "Back to work and breastfeeding (Ireland)". You should post any questions on there.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Do you plan to baby led wean, or to go for purées? It can take a bit longer for them to become established on solids with blw.

I plan to do blw but I'm in no hurry for that. They're not supposed to depend on calories from solids until 1 year old. It's just for trying, tasting + getting used to food and eating. I want her to have as much breastmilk as ever and any solids to be an extra. Then between 1 and 2 years the ratio of solids to milk will gradually increase. That's the ideal plan anyway but I hope it's achievable. Obviously the odd bit of food might keep her going until I get home but I don't want to end up in a routine where her daytime breastfeeds are substituted with solids until she's at least 1.
    Obviously I meant you're not entitled to any extra breaks over and above what you normally get!

I know but it's such a frustrating position! I'm happy to use my own breaks to express but it's a bit harsh having a day with no breaks to use at all. I thought all workers were entitled to breaks? Barely having time to just use the toilet and grab some food to bring out to the yard is something I've always accepted as part of teaching but now that I'm in this position I feel it's really wrong.

So if I was you, I would consider starting her on solids a little before you go back.... because you're unlikely to be able to pump enough in your lunch break to last her all day the next day. It's great that you have a freezer stash though. That should take the pressure off.

If you don't already have a good pump, preferably a double pump, consider investing in one.

I have a good double pump and I also have a haakaa pump so if I don't get much during the day, I can use the haakaa when I get home like I have been doing. Most of my freezer stash is from the haakaa. I just pop it on one side when she's feeding from the other a couple of times a day. My main worry with this is will my body get used to producing less milk during the day if I don't pump enough at work?
    And I think it's totally reasonable for you to request that you skip on your yard duty because you need to pump. That's a really legitimate reason, and I'm sure everyone will be understanding.

I asked the Principal and he said I had to do the same duty as before and that, basically, the breaks are my own problem. I'm just not quite sure of my rights in this regard. I'm sure the other teachers would understand but there's not much I can do if the Principal doesn't agree with it.
    There's also a really helpful Facebook group called "Back to work and breastfeeding (Ireland)". You should post any questions on there.

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm not on Facebook but I'll have a read of their page.

I wouldn't worry too much about your supply- it should be pretty bulletbproof by 6 months- I never pumped, and had no problems with supply, still fed on demand at weekends, days off etc.

Have you tried cup/bottle feeding before now? I think it's probably a little bit idealistic to expect her to just take to it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry too much about your supply- it should be pretty bulletbproof by 6 months- I never pumped, and had no problems with supply, still fed on demand at weekends, days off etc.

Thanks, that's quite reassuring.
    Have you tried cup/bottle feeding before now? I think it's probably a little bit idealistic to expect her to just take to it.

The plan was to try the cup for a couple of weeks before work. I've given her the empty cup to explore and she brought it to her mouth but she does that with everything! I did't really want to start too soon because I think she'll be more able the older she is when she starts. I suppose I could start trying a small bit sooner rather than later because I don't want her having a bottle so I need the cup to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Thanks, that's quite reassuring.

The plan was to try the cup for a couple of weeks before work. I've given her the empty cup to explore and she brought it to her mouth but she does that with everything! I did't really want to start too soon because I think she'll be more able the older she is when she starts. I suppose I could start trying a small bit sooner rather than later because I don't want her having a bottle so I need the cup to work!

Is there a reason you don't want her having a bottle? Most babies will switch back and forward just fine in spite of what you'll read. If she's had six months of boob she should be just fine with a slow teat and paced bottle feeding.

Is there a reason you don't want her having a bottle? Most babies will switch back and forward just fine in spite of what you'll read. If she's had six months of boob she should be just fine with a slow teat and paced bottle feeding.

There are lots of reasons really but I don't really want to get into that debate. I know it can work well for plenty of people but it's not what I want for my baby.

I don't see why the cup shouldn't work anyway. I'm just not sure when the best time is to start trying it with her. I still have a month before work. She'll be 5 months old at the end of this week so I might start then.

So, I tried the cup and she took it no problem. I only gave her 10ml and she spilled about half of it but I imagine she'll have much better control by 6 months. I'll keep practising with tiny amounts and get my husband to do it with her as well so he's confident before I leave him with her.

Thanks for the advice to try it sooner rather than later. I feel a lot better about that side of things and also about the supply.

Does anyone have any advice in regard to worrying about her feeling abandoned? It's great that she'll be at home with her Dad but are there any little tricks to help her know I'm not abandoning her?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

So, I tried the cup and she took it no problem. I only gave her 10ml and she spilled about half of it but I imagine she'll have much better control by 6 months. I'll keep practising with tiny amounts and get my husband to do it with her as well so he's confident before I leave him with her.

Thanks for the advice to try it sooner rather than later. I feel a lot better about that side of things and also about the supply.

Does anyone have any advice in regard to worrying about her feeling abandoned? It's great that she'll be at home with her Dad but are there any little tricks to help her know I'm not abandoning her?

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby-travel-accessories/feeding-travel-essentials/munchkin-miracle-360°-sippy-cup-assortment/p/155891

You think about getting this cup! It's amazing, only one that we found spill & throw proof! Save wasting precious BM!! We only used it for water but I'm sure BM would work as well.

Breastfeeding when I got home was great for reconnecting, I don't think they feel abandoned as they are so busy learning/exploring at that age but if they do, all will be forgiven once they see their mama!

I went to work a bit later but son took less and less BM every day, preferring to wait for it at source:) he did well on solids and water when I was at work, gone 12hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Does anyone have any experience of using the silver nipple covers while breastfeeding? Someone I know swore by them but as they are quite expensive I was looking for some more feedback before committing.

bee06 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of using the silver nipple covers while breastfeeding? Someone I know swore by them but as they are quite expensive I was looking for some more feedback before committing.

I've heard they're great too, but no personal experience! I had to get APNO cream prescribed this time, and it was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ledc

Are you referring to Silverette Breast Angels? I used them and found them great. I had them from the start so I can't say that they definitely prevented mastitis etc but I didn't get mastitis over the 10months of feeding. I stopped using them after the first few months, but if I ever got any tinge of tenderness I would pop them on and it never developed in to anything. I have at least 3 other friends who used them as well and were happy they got them.

ledc wrote: »
    Are you referring to Silverette Breast Angels? I used them and found them great. I had them from the start so I can't say that they definitely prevented mastitis etc but I didn't get mastitis over the 10months of feeding. I stopped using them after the first few months, but if I ever got any tinge of tenderness I would pop them on and it never developed in to anything. I have at least 3 other friends who used them as well and were happy they got them.

Yep, they're the ones. Couldn't remember the proper name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

I used them and found them really great. I had nipple damage and pain due to latch issues and after only a few days using the breast angels they had healed up great. I only had to use them a few days here and there. Once I sorted the latch issue I didnt need them. Would definitely recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Little_cub

I got these after two weeks of painful cracked nipples due to a shallow latch - they were amazing! Wish I'd had them from the start. I had been using the lanolin/compresses but these were the only thing that made a real difference. I only used them for a couple of weeks but they were still money well spent as I'm still breastfeeding 3 months on 😀

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like they'd be worth it anyway. My thinking is get them and start using right for the start so hopefully I'm reducing the possibility of issues as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

As in use them from day one, rather than latching baby on directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

As in use them from day one, rather than latching baby on directly?

They are to be used in between feeds. The silver is supposed to heal/ protect the nipples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Sorry, getting mixed up with shields!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys would anyone be able to recommend some good books for breastfeeding? I'm due #2 in January and breastfeeding didn't work with #1 - basically got no help at all in hospital and by the time I got an appointment with a lactation consultant my little boy just wouldn't take a feed from me. I ended up expressing everything. I'd love for it to be successful this time, so want to do as much prep/research beforehand as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Toots wrote: »
    Guys would anyone be able to recommend some good books for breastfeeding? I'm due #2 in January and breastfeeding didn't work with #1 - basically got no help at all in hospital and by the time I got an appointment with a lactation consultant my little boy just wouldn't take a feed from me. I ended up expressing everything. I'd love for it to be successful this time, so want to do as much prep/research beforehand as possible.

I am reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League. It's very good!

I am reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League. It's very good!

I've never read a book, but I did a preparation course with Clare Boyle when I was expecting my first, and it was well worth the time and money, if you could find similar in your area! Also I would recommend going to some support groups (Cuidu, fobf etc, whatever is available) while you're still pregnant- create your village now, and you'll be better able to find help when you need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Breast is Best is an oldie but a goodie Toots. You can order it online. I found it less politically correct (i.e more direct and to the point) than The Womanly Art of BF. I'd highly recommend a BF course as well, private or else if that's not possible make sure you sign up for the free ones in teh hospital, they book out months (and months) in advance. If you haven't rang up to book a place on one, do it straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They do one in my hospital so I've to book that this morning. My PHN was actually great last time around - one of the very few times my son latched on and fed was with her help, but she's retired now :(

Advertisement