Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My son was doing several poos a day until he was about a month old but now at 7 weeks it's every two or three days. A friend of mine was told by a midwife that it's totally normal for a breastfed baby to do one poo in seven days or seven poos in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Doc told me that bf babies can go for almost a week without going and then have a poonami, so it can be very normal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

In general breast fed babies should poop 1+ a day for the first six weeks. After that they can go very long stretches without pooping and it's perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

In general when are people switching over from breast milk to formula or if they are? My baby is nearly 4 months - I will be going back to work when she is 8 months. She doesn’t sleep through the night- sometimes I think when she is 6 months I will gradually switch to formula between 6 and 8 months, other times I think will I bother at all and keep going till a year. The tiredness is tough tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s a personal decision. Everyone does something different You can switch now. Or not switch at all. I was too lazy to give bottles to my twins so they haven’t got formula since they were about two weeks old (13 months now).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I never did a complete switch really. I got my son to a stage where he would take a bottle of formula if needed because I found expressing a total faff, but it was mostly boob whenever he was around me until we stopped at 15.5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My last boy I didn’t switch at all. Went back to work when he was 9 months, And he was grand on solids and water when I was gone. My current bub is nearly 7 mo, and my intention is to do the same. Though sometimes I wouldn’t mind weaning- having the two close together has worn me down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

jlm29 wrote: »
    My last boy I didn’t switch at all. Went back to work when he was 9 months, And he was grand on solids and water when I was gone. My current bub is nearly 7 mo, and my intention is to do the same. Though sometimes I wouldn’t mind weaning- having the two close together has worn me down a bit!

This. If you can get the baba established on solids and water, then BF outside of crèche, you’re onto a total winner as there’s no faff with bottles either!

We give one or two formula bottles in the middle of the night and will continue to do this til the baby is 6 months old. I would like to wean at that point to just morning and evening bresstfeeds due to work. He is only 9 weeks now so that could all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Thanks all. Would be happy to continue but give formula in the night from around 7 months so at least that way I won’t have to do all night feeds when I go back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I did the opposite to that. I started introducing formula from about 7 months in preparation for going back to work, and other people being able to feed him bottles. But I kept the nightfeeds going till he learned to sleep through the night (they were the last breastfeeds I kept), because that way at least I didn't have to get up, go downstairs to make/heat bottles, burp him etc. Instead, I could just pull him into bed, stick him on the boob, and dose off.

It totally depends what works for mamma and baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Little girl is 9 days old. She's a dote, we are loving her. Im trying my best to exclusively breastfeed. Nighttime she wakes at 1:30am, 4am, 7am pretty regularly (I know patterns are expected to be all over the shop for the foreseeable future but this has been her night pattern so far). During the day, it's on demand, lots of on demand feeding.

Today, she has been just wanting to feed all day long. I think my boobs are actually drained dry, no hardness/milk lumps by 7pm. Everytime I went to put her down to sleep or she looked like she was dozing off, shed wake up for more boob!

Broke down crying a while ago so my husband gave her an emergency formula bottle, the hospital gave us a few of those mini cow and gate bottles when we were leaving.

I'm switching breasts every feed but today I've just been switching when either breast got sore. I really want to keep it up but by God Im exhausted tonight. She hasn't slept all day, apart from dozing off on me for a short time here and there :(

Edit: just changed her there and her belly is massive, like she's had 10 pints of Guinness but still wants more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little fella is the same (he was 3 weeks last Friday). They do this cluster feeding to build up your milk supply in the first few weeks.

https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/

Edit: I just saw your edit there. Is she having plenty of wet and dirty nappies? Have you have the latch checked?

mojesius wrote: »
    Little girl is 9 days old. She's a dote, we are loving her. Im trying my best to exclusively breastfeed. Nighttime she wakes at 1:30am, 4am, 7am pretty regularly (I know patterns are expected to be all over the shop for the foreseeable future but this has been her night pattern so far). During the day, it's on demand, lots of on demand feeding.

Today, she has been just wanting to feed all day long. I think my boobs are actually drained dry, no hardness/milk lumps by 7pm. Everytime I went to put her down to sleep or she looked like she was dozing off, shed wake up for more boob!

Broke down crying a while ago so my husband gave her an emergency formula bottle, the hospital gave us a few of those mini cow and gate bottles when we were leaving.

I'm switching breasts every feed but today I've just been switching when either breast got sore. I really want to keep it up but by God Im exhausted tonight. She hasn't slept all day, apart from dozing off on me for a short time here and there :(

Edit: just changed her there and her belly is massive, like she's had 10 pints of Guinness but still wants more

Unfortunately for you and your poor nipples, that is very normal in the early days! They all hit a growth spurt around two weeks old, and cluster feed right round the clock. It sounds like she’s hitting it a few days early.

The bad news is that it’s a few hardcore days of nonstop boobing, and hence very sore nipples. I remember crying and crying during it. But the good news is that it’s for a few days tops, and then she will be feeding every few hours again.

So the best advice is to get comfy, get lots of chocolate and some good movies, and tons of nipple cream/multi mam compresses (cut them in half, they’ll last twice as long!), and try to roll with it and see it through. You’ve done an AMAZING job in these 9 days - the first few weeks are the hardest so you’re very nearly through them - and it’s going to get a LOT easier very soon. And when it does, you’re going to be so glad you stuck through it because BFing will soon be infinitely easier than formula-feeding, and you’ll have a lot to be proud of, too.

If it gets really tough, the odd bottle of formula isn’t going to cause major issues, for you or for her. So don’t be too hard on yourself. I found myself reaching for the nipple shields during cluster feeds too (which was actually the only time I really needed them), and popping some neurofen also.

You’re doing a great job though. I know it doesn’t feel like it, but you are! You should feel very proud.

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Managed to sleep until 4am then 630am then 930 am so am feeling a lot more sane this morning. she was tired as well! She's actually napping in the living room now so I might try having a bath! She fed a lot on and off this morning until now but nothing like yesterday. Uh oh, she's awake I spoke too soon lol

On the feeding/latching front, there are no problems, dirty and wet nappies are pretty frequent throughout the day and night. She regained her birth weight in two days but was born a smallish baby, 6.5lbs, so we reckon she's making up for it now! Her doc appt is on Monday so we'll see how much weight she's gained but judging be her baby grows she's definitely bigger.

Good to read that this is normal and will pass, think I was beaten yesterday tbh!

What are your thoughts on expressing? Is it too soon/early? I've read that it can affect supply but would give us a chance to go out for a walk/in the car etc. Haven't walked my poor dog in weeks (mam and husband have taken him out every day but he's a mammy's boy)!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Could you put her in a sling to go for a walk with the dog, that way you wouldn't need to express? You could try the Haakaa "pump" which just collects milk rather than pumping it so shouldn't interfere as much with supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Expressing before 6 weeks isn’t recommended as it can mess with your supply. You could try a few short walks to see how she is out and about. If the dog is patient you could always just stop and feed if necessary on a longer walk. Maybe just pick a route that has spots where you can sit / grab a coffee.

Yeah, they don’t recommend expressing too early because it can affect your supply. That’s the official advice.

I started expressing at 12 days because I was going pure mental through lack of sleep, and wanted his dad to give him one bottle each night but I wanted him to be drinking breastmilk rather than formula. It saved my sanity and if I was to have another baby who slept for such short periods (2 hours max and then wanting fed again... and feeds took an hour!), then I would do the same again.

I would recommend getting confident at feeding in public as soon as you can. It’s very daunting at first, but once you’ve done it a few times, life is easier. My wee man is 12 months now and I’ve only have one person ever say anything to me - and that was to sing my praises!

Thank you all.

I'll try a looped short walk towards a coffee shop tomorrow. She's snoozing on her dad right now, much easier today! Taking one day at a time.

Re feeding her in public, I'm waiting for some nursing clothes to arrive, so I'm just wearing the husband's t-shirts around the house for the time being. I didn't want to go out buying a load of stuff beforehand if BFing didn't work out but it seems to be.

Any recommendations for breast pumps in a few weeks? Don't really mind paying for it once it's a good investment. There is so much choice out there it's hard to know which one to get.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Taking one day at a time.

This is my motto at the moment. They seem to change so much each day that I just remind myself on the bad days that it’s not going to be like this forever even though it feels like it. And I find that all I need is one “good” nights sleep (2 3 hour stretches do me) to keep me going for another few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Thank you all.

I'll try a looped short walk towards a coffee shop tomorrow. She's snoozing on her dad right now, much easier today! Taking one day at a time.

Re feeding her in public, I'm waiting for some nursing clothes to arrive, so I'm just wearing the husband's t-shirts around the house for the time being. I didn't want to go out buying a load of stuff beforehand if BFing didn't work out but it seems to be.

Any recommendations for breast pumps in a few weeks? Don't really mind paying for it once it's a good investment. There is so much choice out there it's hard to know which one to get.

Thanks again

A handy (and cheap) clothes option that you might be able to pull together from what you have already is one up, one down. If you wear a spaghetti strap top that you could pull down to expose the breast under a looser top you lift up. Pretty much everything is covered by the 2 tops and babies head! I managed to get away without having to buy much by doing this. Cheap spaghetti tops from penny’s are perfect!

I was going to say the one up one down tops technique, it's the easiest way to have a bf friendly top! Or just pop any loose or ppw necked top on with a scarf, sorted.

I mostly wear vests under jumpers for feeding. I am not self conscious at all and bought loads of shirts and blouses too but jumpers are a staple in this weather.

I have the Ardo Calypso. I find it great. The single one was about €130 and I bought the extra pump set thing for €20 to make it a double pump but I have actually only used it as a double pump once. I usually pump while eating breakie so need a free hand.

Like Caitriona, I pumped quite early with my son, probably at two weeks for the same reasons. I just needed a break. My mam took the baby overnight at about 4 weeks so we could have a night of sleep. I needed it badly and pumping made that happen. Do what you need to do to get through it!

+1 for the one up one down. No need for nursing tops and better than shirts because you’re more covered up (if you’re self-conscious about it at all). All you need is some nursing bras, and at this stage just get a crop top one as your bra size will vary until about 12 weeks once supply is fully established.

Re: pumps, I did a lot of reading and went for the spectra s2 in the end. I like it because it’s electric double pump (much more milk and in much less time than with a single and a manual pump), has a battery in it so more portable, and has a light for night-time pumping (which I did in the early weeks as you get so much more milk at night). It was also a lot cheaper than equivalent-rated pumps like the medela swing. Importantly, it’s also a closed system so can be used for subsequent babies, or even sold on after - unlike the medela which is an open system.

Also if you're pumping, cut two holes at the nipples in an old bra and thread the flanges through, voila a hands free pumping bra.

Also if you're pumping, cut two holes at the nipples in an old bra and thread the flanges through, voila a hands free pumping bra.

Do people’s old bras really still fit them?! My baba is 12 months and I’m still a good 3 cup sizes bigger than before baby!

Do people’s old bras really still fit them?! My baba is 12 months and I’m still a good 3 cup sizes bigger than before baby!

Doesn't need to fit very well since you're cutting holes in it. Being a little on the small side helps keep the flanges in place, but you dont want it so tight it causes clogged ducts. A cheap bra from Penney will do the job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I bought a spectra 3. It’s the cheapest electric spectra. It’s a closed system and around €40-€50. You can pay an extra €10 and convert to a double (I didn’t bother).
    Amazing value

My cup size never changed, my ribs spread so the band needed an extender but I can wear the same bras through pregnancy and breastfeeding, from the full early days to 2 years later! I'm just wearing h&m stretchy bras now on second baby out of laziness/comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was a 30FF when I got pregnant with my son, never went below a 32H in the 14 months of breastfeeding before getting knocked up again, no idea what I am now at 37 weeks with #2. I don't hold out much hope of ever dropping to my original size again.

Advertisement