Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Girls am thrilled....baby got weighed today and is up to 3.82 kg and 10 days old. Birth weight was 3.88kg!
    Baby unblocked duct on Friday night! Feed constantly on me for 11 hours taking maybe 10 minute breaks every hour!!
    Every day seems to be getting easier (touch wood).
    Now I just need to master feeding in public !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Millem wrote:
    Girls am thrilled....baby got weighed today and is up to 3.82 kg and 10 days old. Birth weight was 3.88kg! Baby unblocked duct on Friday night! Feed constantly on me for 11 hours taking maybe 10 minute breaks every hour!! Every day seems to be getting easier (touch wood). Now I just need to master feeding in public !!!

Aw, congratulations! That's brilliant! It can take up to 3 weeks for a breastfeed baby to regain its birth rate, so your doing brilliantly!

Feeding in public is so daunting the first couple of times, but so easy to do when you gain the confidence! I'd suggest going into town with your OH or one of the girls that will have your back, find somewhere comfy but semi private, get a tea or coffee and start feeding! Nothing will be said to you ( nothing has ever been said to be me and we're nearly 13 months in and using a shield so not as smooth getting set up and latched on), but if someone is ballsy enough the person with you can be your buffer. They will also be a distraction for you by having a chat. For a bit of privacy and comfort for myself I hook a Muslim cloth into my bra to cover baby's head/side boob so even if she pops off no one is going to get an eye full.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Well done Millem, great work! Go boobies!!!
    Wearing the right clothes is key to being confident feeding in public the first few times! I have a couple of boob hoodies, that I found great at the start on my first (I still wear them a lot!, but I'm not as dependant on them anymore!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes, it's all in the clothing! I like to do one-up-one-down (so like a jumper with a vest top underneath - pull the jumper up and the vest down; you end up showing hardly anything at all). Or a shirt with a scarf or something.

Yes, it's all in the clothing! I like to do one-up-one-down (so like a jumper with a vest top underneath - pull the jumper up and the vest down; you end up showing hardly anything at all). Or a shirt with a scarf or something.

I'm fine with this now, but back in the early days, I found it a bit of a faff! But scarves- they're always great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I was given a custom made breastfeeding hoodie that has poppers along my ribs so the whole top half can lift up, can't wait to use it!

Girls another question!
    How long should eat feed last? Getting conflicting info! Nurse said last week a good hour? Baby is 12 days old. She said let him drain 1 boob then give the other. I am finding he will stay on one but then be full? I think I have a good supply as he could be on an hour and still milk in there! His weight gain is good.....loads of wet and dirty nappies. I am finding today and yesterday though that he may only want 15 mins on boob?
    Then online it says take off one boob for 20 mins then put him on other? All very confusing......just don't want another blocked duct!!!
    He has jaundice so just worried he is not getting enough!!!
    Thanks a million!

Honestly, every baby is so different that imo there's no right or wrong answer, it's down to each individual baby. At his age always offer the other side when he's finished the first, but don't stress if he doesn't take it. Iirc at 2 weeks my lo was around 10/15 mins per side. I remember being really worried around 5/6 weeks because my lo nursed quick but often. She'd be finished a side in 6/7 minutes and didn't always take the second offering. But she'd be back nursing again very soon (sorry I can't remember how quickly). But I mentioned it to my GP at the 6 week check up and she said not to worry if she's gaining weight and has plenty of wet nappies, that she could just be a very efficient eater - which she was. She only ever stayed on long when she wanted comfort.

Edit: because of the jaundice the advise may be different. But other than offer him boob often I don't know how you can make him nurse for a good hour if he's finished in 15mins.

Thanks scaredpanda.......he has been feeding for the last 40 mins!!!!!
    Sometimes his feeds last ages! It seems if he feeds for a short time 90 mins-2 hours later he wants more!
    Very conflicting advice from 2 nurses!!! One said just go with flow as long as you get the nappies and weight gain it's going well.
    Other nurse is like.....both breasts need to be emptied!! I try and get him to do an hour but sometimes he will fall asleep etc!

It's really normal for newborns to feed every 1-2hrs.

• Advertisement

Other than when she was asleep at night, it wasn't unusual for my lo to nurse every hour the first few weeks. I had people telling me she was awful hungry, when it was just that she ate little but often. Then she would have days where she would be glued to me!

Personally I learnt very quickly to just go with the flow - pay attention to what your baby is telling you and you will do good. Listen to what people tell you but only take on board what is relevant to you and your baby. The advise you get from midwives to PHNs to your GP will vary greatly.

My son fed every 1-2 hours until he was well past six months, day and night :O He always woke every 1-2 hours until he was nearly 2, now he's kindly spaced it out to waking every 2-3 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Every baby is different but both my babies were speedy feeders. My son is 10 weeks and he would only feed for about 10 mins every 2.5 to 3 hours, he might stretch 5/6 hours at night (if I'm lucky) he very rarely takes the second breast. My daughter was similar. It's totally incorrect and meaningless for the nurse to say he should feed for an hour, you could have him latched on for an hour, but he might only be using you as a soother and not really feeding. If you YouTube it, you will learn how to spot if they are actually feeding or just sucking but not feeding. Personally, if he's not feeding or falling asleep on the boob, I will pop him off, maybe change him and try again but if he's not feeding then I leave him off.

Anything from 10 mins to an hour is normal, but learn the feeding signs, there's no point in him just been stuck on there and not doing anything! Don't worry if the baby is feeding every hour or so, that's totally normal in the beginning. They have tiny stomachs, so little and often is how they prefer to feed. If he's having wet and dirty nappies, then it sounds like you're doing great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You have to take into account as well that your supply is starting to regulate itself. It's not supposed to stay the same, it will change. At the beginning babies have to feed very often to send the signal to your breasts to produce milk but as your supply gets established they will gradually not need to feed as long/as often as the flowrate of milk has increased

Just wondering what do people use to store breastmilk in? Are the bags my only option? Thanks :)

Millem wrote: »
    Just wondering what do people use to store breastmilk in? Are the bags my only option? Thanks :)

I use the bags, or you can get axifeed bottles on amazon either! The bags are handiest I find though, because if you freeze them flat, they defrost really quickly under running warm water

jlm29 wrote: »
    I use the bags, or you can get axifeed bottles on amazon either! The bags are handiest I find though, because if you freeze them flat, they defrost really quickly under running warm water

Do you find them expensive? Or maybe I am looking at the wrong ones!

Ive been getting mine in Boots. €10 for 30 bags. I store in 2oz portions so I don't be long getting through the €10! Anyone getting them elsewhere for cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags - 50 bags for €13.99 in Mothercare.

Or you can get the same box of 50 bags for £6.98 on Amazon with free delivery if you spend £20 or more. So you could get 150 bags for £20.94.

I'm not sure tbh, I used up a box first that I had bought when I was still feeding my last boy. The other day I was ordering something online for £45 with free uk delivery over £50, so I threw in a bottle of tommee tippee storage bags to bring it up to the £50. Other than that I used usually buy in boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Major mammy guilt here, I had my little fella's christening on Saturday and over indulged a little (a lot actually!) I had expressed bottles for that evening but did feed him the next day. Poor little man was in poor form yesterday, I'd say I had him half poisoned :( With being so dehydrated on Sunday, I feel my supply has taken a knock already. I'm trying to feed him a bit more frequently and drinking lots of water, but is there anything else I can do? First and last time drinking while feeding him. It's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

Don't worry the amount of alcohol that makes it into breastmilk is minimal. It's more likely he was reflecting your hungover mood!

fits wrote: »
    Don't worry the amount of alcohol that makes it into breastmilk is minimal. It's more likely he was reflecting your hungover mood!

This! Generally there's more concern about a drunk mammy handling the baby, than any alcohol that gets into the breast milk!

Before getting pregnant, I used to go out a LOT, and even delayed getting pregnant for a year or so because I didn't feel ready to give up my nights out. And now I can think of nothing worse than a hangover and haven't a bit of interest in it anymore!

Got paid today and have finally invested in a good electric double pump - the spectra s1. Pumping with my rubbish manual one has been doing my head in in work, so I'm excited for the new one to arrive!

I seriously need proper nursing bras.....going to try and go out tomorrow morning when my older boy is in monte! From my limited research. Online I see next and debenhams have some. M and s have only 1/2.
    Does anyone know if next in Dundrum have them? If not maybe debenhams in Tallaght is my best bet? Need to get measured.

Does anyone have the nursing vests from next? If so are they long?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I seriously need proper nursing bras.....going to try and go out tomorrow morning when my older boy is in monte! From my limited research. Online I see next and debenhams have some. M and s have only 1/2.
    Does anyone know if next in Dundrum have them? If not maybe debenhams in Tallaght is my best bet? Need to get measured.

Thanks

I got mine in M&S in Dundrum. I'm not sure about the other places. There's also a few nursing bits in H&M in dundrum.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I got mine in M&S in Dundrum. I'm not sure about the other places. There's also a few nursing bits in H&M in dundrum.

Thanks a million! It's annoying though that you need to book to get measured there :(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Could be my mum doing your fit there!

Thanks

Badly need to do this too, but I need to be measured too. I see a lot of people raving about a website called boob or bust- I think there's a different technique for measuring (you can do it yourself with their instructions- I think, I need to check this out), but the fit is meant to be great.

Your supply might take another few weeks to fully settle, so don't buy too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Millem wrote:
    I seriously need proper nursing bras.....going to try and go out tomorrow morning when my older boy is in monte! From my limited research. Online I see next and debenhams have some. M and s have only 1/2. Does anyone know if next in Dundrum have them? If not maybe debenhams in Tallaght is my best bet? Need to get measured.

I got a 2 pack of bras in m and s in liffey valley, a few months ago. A black and a nude colour. Super comfy.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Badly need to do this too, but I need to be measured too. I see a lot of people raving about a website called boob or bust- I think there's a different technique for measuring (you can do it yourself with their instructions- I think, I need to check this out), but the fit is meant to be great.

Your supply might take another few weeks to fully settle, so don't buy too many!

Thanks! I defo need to get measured.
    I was only going to buy 2.
    I will try my best to get to Dundrum tomorrow morning....but the night is very young...God only knows how much or little sleep I will get tonight with feeding.

Advertisement