Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

cbyrd wrote: »
    God almighty nothing I'm doing is right or that's how it feels anyway. Madam has not put on enough weight for the doctors and they are now insisting taking her in to fatten her up. She's putting on 2 ozs per week, is bright happy alert and meeting all her development markers except weight.
    Not much said that her older siblings were the same, Formula top ups don't work cos she's full after a feed and just ends up puking. Same with the breastmilk top ups. So I saved the pumped milk for evening time and this worked. She still only put on 2 ozs that week. My nipples areblistered and sore from pumping, I've been using fennel tea and seeds and eating porridge drinking plenty of water.
    So what am I doing wrong?? She pukes up the non dairy formula..
    Sometimes I wonder if the doctors are too concerned with looking at the scales and not the baby..

Ah cbyrd that's a pity. It's horrible when they put so much pressure on you, especially when she's gaining and happy. Are they using that centile chart to make the decision? It's not like she's refusing feeds, maybe that's just the way she is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

God almighty nothing I'm doing is right or that's how it feels anyway. Madam has not put on enough weight for the doctors and they are now insisting taking her in to fatten her up. She's putting on 2 ozs per week, is bright happy alert and meeting all her development markers except weight.
    Not much said that her older siblings were the same, Formula top ups don't work cos she's full after a feed and just ends up puking. Same with the breastmilk top ups. So I saved the pumped milk for evening time and this worked. She still only put on 2 ozs that week. My nipples areblistered and sore from pumping, I've been using fennel tea and seeds and eating porridge drinking plenty of water.
    Sometimes I wonder if the doctors are too concerned with looking at the scales and not the baby..

Can you get a second opinion? You could get a LC to call out to you and check the latch, milk transfer etc. I'd do that first to rule out anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I agree with tinkerbell. Hospitals etc are obsessed with scales! Get you LC to weigh your baby before feed. Then the LC should observe the latch and feed. And then get the LC to weigh your baby directly after the feed. This could provide some vital information.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Hi all. Im back to work soon so i recently weaned my 8month old during the day. I know i could have tried to pump but i also wanted to wean for fertility reasons. Anyway it has been very dufficult. It actually sickens me giving her formula during the day. I could and i have cried. She has thrieved on bm. Im still feeding her before she goes to bed and first thing in the morning. She latches on well but she clears both breasts in less than 5 minutes. Im just wondering if she is getting what she needs from me. My supply has naturally gone down- they look like deflated baloons :( she seems satisifed after the feed though. Has anyone been in this situation before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

detoxkid wrote: »
    Im still feeding her before she goes to bed and first thing in the morning. She latches on well but she clears both breasts in less than 5 minutes. Im just wondering if she is getting what she needs from me. My supply has naturally gone down- they look like deflated baloons :( she seems satisifed after the feed though. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Sounds like she's thriving. My lad was like this at that age too, fed in 5mins, and boobs always felt empty. I'd say you're doing grand. Sure she's probably getting porridge or something else a while later anyhow in the morning for b'fast? And at night if she's sleeping ok then she's had enough, i wouldn't worry. They get very efficient at feeding at that age and they need less cos they're getting solids throughout the day.

Don't beat yourself up about the formula, you've done a great job with your little lady and you're still giving her BM, what a gift :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Soooky wrote: »
    Well I think our breastfeeding journey is over after 14 months!! Had only been feeding bubs if and when she woke up during the night. She is on sippy cup now and has bottle of formula going to bed (introduced at 7.5 months following a health scare I had and the possibility of hospital admission leaving little bubs at home who had never taken a bottle ever!!!). She has now started sleeping through the night so no night feed now - I did consider introducing the boob in the morning but decided to leave be.

I am chuffed to have gotten this far :D:D At the start my goal was to reach 6 weeks!! Reading this thread from start to finish when baby was little was a life saver - thanks to all the lovely ladies here:D:D I will still poke my head in every now and again to see whats happening!!

I just wanted to ask if anyone else experienced the blues when finishing breastfeeding? Naturally, I am feeling sad that our breastfeeding journey has come to an end but I am thinking it is more than this? Maybe a drop in hormones or something? Feeling quite weepy and a little agitated? Anyone have any advise/experience of this? I'm wondering if there is a supplement I could take to help? TIA :)

Congrats Soooky on getting so far its a fantastic achievement.

Just wanted to agree with both you and Sligo1 and say I noticed a BIG drop in my moods when I finished up breastfeeding. The thing is though, I was aware of the issue before I stopped feeding. I was aware of it when I stopped feeding. But I still fell into a bit of a black hole for a month or two. There was other things going on with me at the time but still, I thought that because I was aware of it I would be ok and it wouldn't happen to me.

I would recommend letting those close to you know that this happens, its simply an effect of stopping and natural enough in itself. But I would let others know so they can keep an eye on you and ensure that the sadness doesn't stick around too long. Just a little tip from my own experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Cybrd, it sounds like you are doing everything right. I wouldn't keep giving top ups if she is vomiting them, she must be overfull. It doesn't sound like you have supply issues if you are able to pump after a feed and she is satisfied after feeding at the breast. She knows her own appetite.
    Some babies are just slighter than others, and naturally they won't put on the same weight week on week. The whole point of the centile scales for plotting development is that every single mark on the chart is within the normal range of growth and development. I think HCP's sometimes forget about that, and obsess with babies piling on the pounds. And then they wonder why there is a childhood obesity epidemic in this country? :rolleyes: The main thing is that she is putting on some weight, not loosing it consistently and is happy and alert otherwise. The baby is more important than the number on the scales.

I know it is a lot easier said than done but can you try and forget about the scales and putting so much pressure on yourself? Hard when there are HCP's breathing down your neck. If you still feel like you need some reassurance I would second the advice above of having a consult with an IBCLC certified lactation consultant to check latch and for milk transfer issues. If you are happy that baby is developing as she should you don't really need to keep subjecting yourself to criticism and pressure from the doctors.

As for the pump causing blisters and sores etc. is the pump flange the right size? Your nipples shouldn't be rubbing the inside of the tube (if you get what I mean) that friction could be what is causing it. I don't know what type of pump you have but with Medela's you can order different sized parts to best suit your shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Well I have to say my faith in the medical profession is at an all time low.
    I've spent the last 18 hours in a room with my little girl trying to get her to drink high calorie formula. The first one made her puke like I've never seen before.. She hardly ever possets.. The second she drank, then got snotty and I've listened to her struggling to get breath. The third she has refused.
    I have the pleasure now of waiting for blood tests..I've had no sleep, nothing to eat and I'm wondering why they think this is better than a happy settled baby who's only problem in their eyes is she's not gaining weight fast enough. She's full of wind and mucus..
    I was given a pump so I could express, I've been told over the last few weeks it's my supply that's the problem, I pumped 80 mls in 20 mins.. from one side.. I held off the other side cos I knew what she was like with formula before. most of the nurses, who are interacting with her are wondering what we're doing here..It's almost like the consultant is out to prove breastfeeding doesn't work.
    The only upside is the hospital grade pump is amazing.. The little one I have is shíte! I also found out that the medela website is where you hire them from.. If only this information was given to us 4 weeks ago.
    I'm going home at 12 today, I told them yesterday that's their time frame. I know there's nothing wrong with her. My gp knows there's nothing wrong with her either.
    The formula she's been given is peptasorb.. It's expensive.. It's been prescribed for her, wouldn't you wonder why they couldn't prescribe a pump, after all it would be so much cheaper... makes me wonder why they push formula so much.. would it have anything to do with money? or have I spent too much time cooped up in a sweltering room. :D

cbyrd, you NEED to have an LC visit you. Regarding that consultant, ask to see somebody else instead. That consultant may just be completely against breastfeeding.

Why are they giving you formula when clearly you are able to pump? That consultant definitely sounds like an anti-bf.

home now till Monday.. My poor little baba, her tiny hands are bruised and swollen from the bad (It is not a strong enough word) doctor stabbed her! after 3 failed attempts they went for the consultant who had it in in seconds. The first wagon doc tried to tell me the veins were dry from healing after the tubes in scbu... ffs.. how thick does she think I am!
    They aren't talking barrium meals.. feeding via iv tubes :0 wtf??? this is complete overkill..
    I drove to sligo after getting out, to pick up a pump. after 4 weeks of the hospital trying to source one, I had one in an hour thanks to Google and my phone!
    I'm beyond angry.. I'm so disappointed and bewildered as to why so little help was offered even though we asked and asked.. dumb.. even the pharmacy was shocked that we weren't given any information, even more so that the lactation consultant didn't have the information to give us straight away. Thank god for here to rant and rave!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Cbyrd, I would really advice getting a private lactation consultant. At least you will have het informed opinion. Then if breastfeeding is not working out for other medical reasons at least you will have peace of mind and be able to make well informed decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Cbyrd I'm so angry for you... And for your babs. It seems so wrong: why do they want to do a barium meal? We had one at 4 months to confirm reflux is that what they are thinking? I can't understand why they are acting like this when baba is actually gaining weight, albeit slowly.

I really think an lc would help. Something like a tongue tie or milk transfer issue is solvable. Keep going what your doing x

Sligo1 wrote:
    Cbyrd, I would really advice getting a private lactation consultant. At least you will have het informed opinion. Then if breastfeeding is not working out for other medical reasons at least you will have peace of mind and be able to make well informed decisions.

The breastfeeding is working to a point, that's the problem.. It's her suck that was inefficient, which left my supply low, the lactation consultant said, get a pump and pump and feed and that will bring the supply up, give her extra for a natural top up rather than formula. when she gets stronger so will the suck, which it is.

The biggest problem was getting a decent pump. sounds ridiculous but I didn't know where to get one. I asked everyone who said she needs more, how do I do it.. no-one gave us either a phone number or a website.. I, in my naivety, thought a hospital grade pump came through the hospital.. It DOESN'T!!! who knew..
    now I have the pump.. I sat down for 20 minutes this eve and pumped 95 mls.. I now have 200 mls in the fridge.. fooking yay..
    My biggest complaint is 4 weeks ago we were 'yellow carded' by the consultant who said I'm giving you 3 weeks to get her weight up. No advice, no direction, just out the door and figure it out ourselves. I Googled 'lactation consultant in castlebar' and found out there was one 2 doors up the corridor from the paediatrician. That's what makes me so angry. If I had then, the knowledge in have now, then I wouldn't be facing 3 more days in hospital next week.
    My reasons for being so adamant with continued breastfeeding is the hell is went through with my now 5 year old when we switched to bottles for much the same reason as now. early in this thread is my frustration with his breastfeeding journey.
    Dairy is not agreeable with my family, or my other half. My youngest 2 have reactions like eczema and tummy pain and diarrhea.

When you're pregnant, they push breastfeeding.. when the baby is out and you're home and there's a problem, it's difficult to get help. even today I was told Dublin was the closest place to get a pump. I again Googled.. phoned Wicklow, and found out Sligo and Galway pharmacys are agents on the west coast... It's like a comedy of errors with my baby suffering needlessly..

Again
    sorry for the rant..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Cbyrd I think rant away, it really is a testament to the lack of support for breastfeeding in ireland. Here you are doing everything you can to feed your baby and all you seem to be getting from the so called health professionals is negativity and blame.

You are clearly doing what is best for your baby, I'm sorry that you have yet to find a supportive medic

I feel completely vindicated today. On Friday we left the hospital with Ailbhe after having to sign a form saying we discharged her against medical advice. I was arguing the point that as no test could be carried out over the weekend, we would go away and feed her as per the dietitians advice and come back on Monday.

The SHO argued with us and I almost felt like I was a negligent parent.

Over the weekend we charted every feed, amount and kind, so they could see what she was being fed. With the proper pump i can pump 100 mls now, she alternates EBM, Formula, and when she wants it, put her to the breast.

This morning, I went to the gp before we went to the hospital, I got her weighed and told him the story. He gave me the confidence to refuse any further treatment until we were given a chance on the feeding plan.

When we arrived on the ward, she was due a feed, I was told not to feed her as she was being sent for a barrium meal.
    I told her, I was refusing until the baby was weighed and I had spoken to the dietitian and the doctor, not the sho but the head guy. The shutters came down and I could hear her think ' oh, one of these parents! '
    They weighed her and did her vitals and about 20 mins later the dietitian arrived smiling all over and said ' well done ' she's put on 7 ozs!
    The head guy arrived a few minutes later and said great job, see you here on March 4th to check again!
    WOOHOO VICTORY
    But if I hadn't dug in at the desk, she'd be having unnecessary tests right now!
    Thanks for all your support over the last few days, it really helped!

That's great news!!!!!!!!!! I'm so thrilled for you. And I'm disgusted at the way you've been treated :mad:

Oh Cbyrd like tinkerbell I'm both thrilled and disgusted for you... I hope it's the start of a smoother ride for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Fair play to you Cyning. Your mother' s instincts saved your little one a lot of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Cbyrd I've been following your story. Thrilled for you. Disgusted at the lack of support you got. You were failed by the health system completely. Well done to you and your little girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Delighted for you and Ailbhe, Cbyrd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cbyrd you should feel very proud of yourself. Ailbhe is one very lucky girl to have such a determined mammy.

When you feel up to it would you consider emailing Siobhan Hourigan, the HSE breastfeeding coordinator and tell her your experience.

When you feel up to it would you consider emailing Siobhan Hourigan, the HSE breastfeeding coordinator and tell her your experience.

I would very much like to tell her! ;)

I would very much like to tell her! ;)

Send it to the Hse's Your Service Your Say too... I got an apology over them missing a tongue tie when she was born and that they kept trying to take her away from me when she was cluster feeding to bring her to the "nursery". An apology means the world sometimes, and they hopefully won't do it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I emailed both after I had mastitis on A, 1 week after birth, and the doctor in the coombe completely dismissed my concerns about a 5 day antibiotics course instead of 10 days as per HSE fact sheet. Apparently, the coombe like to do it their own way but at least I found out.

Cbyrd if I could give you a medal I would. You have been so strong in the face of what is outright bullying by the medical profession. Well done for standing your ground and doing right by your baby. No wonder breastfeeding rates are so low in this country; imagine a ftm going through this, I doubt she would be able to continue with such a lack of support. I'm raging for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

In my sister's kitchen this week, having the chat, when I hear my 4yr old niece calling MAAAM! from the next room. I go in to see what the matter is, and find that my 16 month old son has pulled her t-shirt down by the neck and is millimetres away from latching on to her! She was not happy, telling us she won't have milkies until she's five! In his defence, he was knackered and I was too busy talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

livinsane wrote: »
    In my sister's kitchen this week, having the chat, when I hear my 4yr old niece calling MAAAM! from the next room. I go in to see what the matter is, and find that my 16 month old son has pulled her t-shirt down by the neck and is millimetres away from latching on to her! She was not happy, telling us she won't have milkies until she's five! In his defence, he was knackered and I was too busy talking.

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!

livinsane wrote: »

Funniest thing I've heard all week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

OMG!!:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Ok so my little one has lost weight since last weighing at breastfeeding support group. I got a bit of a land as he has always had a steady gain. He lost 5 oz instead of his usual 3-4oz gain. He has had an ear infection and diarrhea (either from antibiotics or teething or as PHN said, both) and she said that this could explain things and that if he is otherwise in good form (he is) that I shouldnt be concerned. He finished his antibotics in Monday but still has 3-4 loose stools per day. PHN didn't seem concerned. But the fact is that he usually goes after i feed him so the feed is essentially running thro him. She said to keep feeding as much as I can and queried if my supply was down. I'm not sure as he appears to be feeding as much as ever only that he poos it back out a few times a day. :(

Has anyone any similar experiences? It prob doesn't sound much ( he is now 15lb 3) but i was so used to the steady gain I was a bit dismayed and wondering about it being my fault. I asked her about starting solids soon (he is 20wks ) and she advised to leave til 6months. I'm now thinking ..is he getting enough? :( I had been giving a supplementary bottle of formula til the illness and decided to stop it until he was better- nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering how much of a dif did that make? Or could it just be a combination of everything?

There are lots of people who think you shouldn't get regular weighings at this point as it can only be a head wreck and I can see why cos I wouldn't have been any the wiser only that my boy seems perfectly content and is feeding regularly. YET, I'll be first in line at next group to see if he has gone up again.. :o

Also, I was wondering about reintroducing the formula bottle but then while he still has the loose stools, I'm not sure but if its co-incidence and due to the teething, that wouldn't make a difference would it?

Advertisement