Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Great to hear such success stories.
    I loved breastfeeding and would do it again in a flash. Just stopped there over christmas at around 13 month mark. That said I bought new bras at the weekend - proper underwired ones that I haven't worn in about 2 years and I'm sooooo happy to be out if the nursing ones. I feel like I've got a waist back now that the girls have been lifted up!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

My baby is 5months today, love feeding him & would recommend it to anyone! Sure it takes a bit of getting use to at the start as with any skill but it's so rewarding. The mid feed smiles are certainly worth it. I think sometimes we only hear how hard it can be but it isn't always the case, it can become super easy:) Will feed until 8months & then see how we get on when I go back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Actually, how do you ladies manage when you go back to work? I'll be going back when baby is around the 10 months - what are feeds like at that stage? Do you give a bottle of expressed for during the day or just water and then feed on demand when you're with baby? I might be able visit though at lunchtime and give a feed then myself.

Edit: and as crazy as it probably sounds ... I miss those nights during the early weeks when me and baby would be up feeding at night and it was as if we were the only two people in the world. Everything was so peaceful.

Oh and I would just like to say GOD BLESS LYING DOWN FEEDING!!!!!!! It's both me and baby's favourite way to feed. For those just in the early stages - get the hang of that and you are sorted, it makes such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Water during the day and feed on demand when you're together. I did this with both of mine. I went back around the 6 month mark so we'd just started solids and they were totally fine. For the first couple of weeks I sent in a bottle of expressed milk and pumped in work but I just didn't have the time to continue pumping in work and I didn't want to introduce a bottle at 6 months when they would be fine with a sippy cup of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I kept up feeding when I went back to work. My second child wouldn't take a bottle so I feed him in the mornings and evenings (if I'm home before he's gone to bed). He doesn't like cows milk so he just gets water in the minder's house. I'm very lucky as my job allows me time for breastfeeding until my child is two, so I use the time to try to get home before bedtime as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hello4seasons!

What's everyone's thoughts on expressing? I'd like to know how much baby is drinking, and find the whole experience of breast feeding to be sore on my nipples.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Do you mean only feeding baby with expressed milk? I think it's a great thing to do for your baby if you feel you can't breastfeed the usual way.

But there's a couple of downsides, mainly that it's really hard on you to have to express and then feed via bottle. You finally get baby back to sleep at 3 am but you can't go to sleep yourself cos you have to sterilise a bottle and express. Also a couple of other downsides.

If you're not sure how much baby is getting, all you need to know is that if baby is putting on weight and has regular wet and dirty nappies, he is getting enough.

Breastfeeding shouldn't be sore. If it is, it might mean latch needs to be adjusted or that baby needs to be checked for tongue tie.

Would you consider seeing a lactation consultant to check the latch? You won't know yourself if the latch can be made easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

What's everyone's thoughts on expressing? I'd like to know how much baby is drinking, and find the whole experience of breast feeding to be sore on my nipples.

I started to express once a day when my baby was 8 weeks old so that I could give the odd bottle when I need to miss a feed the odd time. I find the hassle of it a real pain compared to feeding from the breast. I haven't been able to master feeding and pumping at the same time so in the morning after a feed I have to keep baby amused firstly. Then make sure everything is sterile. Pump for the session, store the milk and then wash everything. It probably take 30ish minutes in total.

Also just to say regarding amounts, the amount that you express will not be the amount that the baby drinks straight from the breast. The baby will be a lot more efficient than the pump.

If exclusive pumping was something you were planning to do you'd do well to hire a hospital grade pump or buy a good quality double pump. These would be expensive.

Marz66 has good advice regarding latch and seeking support. Can you talk to a Lactation Consultant or visit your local support group for help if you are in pain? As said before pain is an indication that something is wrong. I personally would exercise all avenues to avoid exclusive pumping. There are women out there who do it and I admire them but it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

My son turned 1 two weeks ago and our Breastfeeding journey ended at the weekend. As much as I love feeding, the all night buffets were taking their toll especially as I'm working full time. He is already sleeping much better. I'm still having to express as my left boob is getting quite sore and I'm trying to avoid mastitis! At least it means he's still getting boob milk but just not directly from source!

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for this thread. It was great to have somewhere to go to ask questions and just to read about other people's experiences. It really encouraged me to keep going at times. I hope all of you that are starting out have a very fulfilling and successful feeding relationship with your little one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Hoping someone can help me!! Leaving pud on sat evening to go to a 40th, only problem is he hasn't taken a bottle of expressed milk since he was 3 weeks, last time hubby tried it took 40mins for him to take 10ml. I've read suggestions of a sippy cup being an alternative, would he be too young for this? He'll be 16 weeks tomorrow week. Also, how much milk should I be leaving for him at this age? I've a freezer full of expressed milk to be used up!

(Party's only about 7mins away, so can always go home to feed if worst happens and he refuses the feed, but would rather not!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

@Fagashlil - I've no idea of sippy cup ages. For the amount of milk needed my little girl drank 3oz the other night when I left her. She is almost 12 weeks and during the day or evening time when she is awake she feeds every 2ish hours. Maybe this could help you work out an amount for yours. You could always try 2-3 ozs and then another batch if needed after so as not to waste milk if they won't take a larger amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Fagashlil wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help me!! Leaving pud on sat evening to go to a 40th, only problem is he hasn't taken a bottle of expressed milk since he was 3 weeks, last time hubby tried it took 40mins for him to take 10ml. I've read suggestions of a sippy cup being an alternative, would he be too young for this? He'll be 16 weeks tomorrow week. Also, how much milk should I be leaving for him at this age? I've a freezer full of expressed milk to be used up!

(Party's only about 7mins away, so can always go home to feed if worst happens and he refuses the feed, but would rather not!)

You could try offering a bottle every evening this week, might get him used to the idea again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

What quantities did you freeze the milk in? If it's small enough quantities you could take out say 3oz and if more was needed it defrosts quickly under the tap before heating (not ideal I know bit it saves you wasting your milk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I started offering a sippy cup to my little fella at 16 weeks, just to try and get him used to it. TBH, he didn't show much interest in it, it was hard to get him to take any amount from it but at the same time it didn't do him any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Thanks ladies, I froze in 50ml tubes and ice cube trays, so won't be too much waste. I'll get a sippy cup for him to try, have every brand of bottle so my mam can try them all! And I've syringes from when he used get grip water, so if all else fails she can syringe it whilst waiting for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Well I think our breastfeeding journey is over after 14 months!! Had only been feeding bubs if and when she woke up during the night. She is on sippy cup now and has bottle of formula going to bed (introduced at 7.5 months following a health scare I had and the possibility of hospital admission leaving little bubs at home who had never taken a bottle ever!!!). She has now started sleeping through the night so no night feed now - I did consider introducing the boob in the morning but decided to leave be.

I am chuffed to have gotten this far :D:D At the start my goal was to reach 6 weeks!! Reading this thread from start to finish when baby was little was a life saver - thanks to all the lovely ladies here:D:D I will still poke my head in every now and again to see whats happening!!

I just wanted to ask if anyone else experienced the blues when finishing breastfeeding? Naturally, I am feeling sad that our breastfeeding journey has come to an end but I am thinking it is more than this? Maybe a drop in hormones or something? Feeling quite weepy and a little agitated? Anyone have any advise/experience of this? I'm wondering if there is a supplement I could take to help? TIA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Soooky wrote: »

I just wanted to ask if anyone else experienced the blues when finishing breastfeeding? Naturally, I am feeling sad that our breastfeeding journey has come to an end but I am thinking it is more than this? Maybe a drop in hormones or something? Feeling quite weepy and a little agitated? Anyone have any advise/experience of this? I'm wondering if there is a supplement I could take to help? TIA :)

Hiya soooky, fair play to you for lasting 14months! I exclusively feed till 6months and then started introducing a bottle of formula and gradually replaced feeds until I gave my last feed at 8 months. I got awful sadness when I was decreasing feeds.

Basically every time you breastfeed your baby your body produces oxytocin. Oxytocin is a "feel good" hormone. So when you begin to decrease or stop feeds altogether you are not producing all that oxytocin anymore which is what contributes to that low feeling.

I think studies have been done to show breastfeeding women have lower rates of depression than those who don't breastfeed due to this surge of oxytocin.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I remember sitting in bed crying and feeling absolutely useless for a day or 2. After a couple weeks you will feel a lot better :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hiya soooky, fair play to you for lasting 14months! I exclusively feed till 6months and then started introducing a bottle of formula and gradually replaced feeds until I gave my last feed at 8 months. I got awful sadness when I was decreasing feeds.

Basically every time you breastfeed your baby your body produces oxytocin. Oxytocin is a "feel good" hormone. So when you begin to decrease or stop feeds altogether you are not producing all that oxytocin anymore which is what contributes to that low feeling.

I think studies have been done to show breastfeeding women have lower rates of depression than those who don't breastfeed due to this surge of oxytocin.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I remember sitting in bed crying and feeling absolutely useless for a day or 2. After a couple weeks you will feel a lot better :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. Just knowing that others go through it, it is normal and that it gets better makes things so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thank you for sharing your experience. Just knowing that others go through it, it is normal and that it gets better makes things so much easier.

No problem. I always found this thread so helpful and supportive when I was breastfeeding. It's nice to know others have been there. And everyone here is always so helpful. I actually remember posting myself when I was decreasing feeds to see if anyone had felt the awful lows and guilts that I was feeling. It's nice to know that you're not alone :)

Sligo1 wrote: »

Aw thanks Sligo1 its good to know others have felt like this too! Feeling a little better today, focusing on all the good things in life! Had a good long walk with LO to blow off the cobwebs! :DSitting here now pumping a bit as starting to feel a little lumpy even though I was only feeding her once a day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Aww well done soooky, 14 months is amazing! So many of us start off aiming for 6 weeks so anything beyond that is a blessing and 14 months is very impressive x

Aww well done soooky, 14 months is amazing! So many of us start off aiming for 6 weeks so anything beyond that is a blessing and 14 months is very impressive x

Thanks FurBabyMomma - only for the advise here on this thread I'm not sure I would have lasted so long :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Soooky, what an incredible achievement! You should be so so proud of yourself. I hope I get that far too. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Soooky wrote: »
    Aw thanks Sligo1 its good to know others have felt like this too! Feeling a little better today, focusing on all the good things in life! Had a good long walk with LO to blow off the cobwebs! :DSitting here now pumping a bit as starting to feel a little lumpy even though I was only feeding her once a day :(

Hi Sooky, Sligo1's post is spot on. I definitely got this too when i weaned my 2.

But just regards pumping if you were just feeding 1 per day i don't think you should need too. I would jump in the shower instead and under the hot water try to rub out the lumps, i used to use a wide tooth comb or else use the palm of your hand and a face cloth. Some milk might drip out that'd be normal. You can really target the lumps specifically to clear out those ducts rather than pumping the whole breast which is counter-productive at this stage.

Best of luck, hope the blues don't last too long for you, you've done such a smashing job and should be proud of yourself ;)

My little fella had just cut his first two teeth, front on bottom, just poking through. So cute! But occasionally when starting to feed he has a little bite of my nipple! Ow :( I thought that teeth weren't a problem for breast feeding, are they? It's only a little nip if he's a bit excited at the start of a feed, not during a feed. What about when he's more teeth? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My little fella had just cut his first two teeth, front on bottom, just poking through. So cute! But occasionally when starting to feed he has a little bite of my nipple! Ow :( I thought that teeth weren't a problem for breast feeding, are they? It's only a little nip if he's a bit excited at the start of a feed, not during a feed. What about when he's more teeth? Thanks.

As long as they are latched properly they shouldn't be able to bite you. Having said that, my almost 1 year old has 8 teeth and dear lord does she like to bite, mostly the evening feed if I'm not precise about the latch or if she's full and thinking about stopping, just have to keep an eye on it

Bottom teeth aren't an issue as once they are feeding the tongue covers them so he could be biting out of teething or to see what happens ;0)

Don't let it put you off, just need to keep an eye on him, they can be very tricksy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

My eldest cut his first tooth at 6mths. I do remember getting a few nips, but i would take him off the boob, look him in the eye and say in a firm voice "ouch that hurt mommy". I haven't a clue if he understood my words/tone or maybe it was just a coincidence but he stopped doing it and i went on to feed for another 6mths and he had a lot more teeth by the time we finished up our breast feeding journey.

Thanks ladies, glad to hear it won't be a massive problem. I am aiming to keep feeding to a year so I hope he doesn't think it is a great game to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

God almighty nothing I'm doing is right or that's how it feels anyway. Madam has not put on enough weight for the doctors and they are now insisting taking her in to fatten her up. She's putting on 2 ozs per week, is bright happy alert and meeting all her development markers except weight.
    Not much said that her older siblings were the same, Formula top ups don't work cos she's full after a feed and just ends up puking. Same with the breastmilk top ups. So I saved the pumped milk for evening time and this worked. She still only put on 2 ozs that week. My nipples areblistered and sore from pumping, I've been using fennel tea and seeds and eating porridge drinking plenty of water.
    So what am I doing wrong?? She pukes up the non dairy formula..
    Sometimes I wonder if the doctors are too concerned with looking at the scales and not the baby..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got nipped twice. I yelped involuntary and gave the child a fright so he burst into tears. The second time he was messing, and watching me, then nipped deliberately, and I took him off the boob and sternly told him no biting, he cried again and he didn't do it after that.

The time to watch out for it is when they are getting full up and wanting to play a bit on the boob. If they are hungry and feeding they can't use their teeth at the same time.

Advertisement