Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

bovril wrote: »
    I do them per the video.

Thanks, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

cbyrd wrote: »
    Right, I admit defeat
    here's the story.
    my little girl is 8 weeks old, breastfeeding since she came home from hospital at 9 days old and at her birth weight. 8,8.
    She was on a drip til day 7 wysoy topups and me feeding her too.
    She dropped off to 8,4 back to 8,6 down to 8,1 in the first 3 weeks home. She then started gaining, 8, 4 then 8,6 then 8,9 last week. This week she gained 20 whole grams.
    thing is, she feeds, she sleeps, feeds wees, interacts, goes 4 hours most nights and wakes again after 2 and 2 again and then sleeps for up to 3 hours in the morning say, 4,30 am, 6,30, 8,30, and sleepd til midday.
    there is nothing I can pinpoint as to why there is insufficient gain?
    does anyone have any insight, experience or knowledge? bottle topups either push out her feed time or she spits it up. breastmilk never comes back up. I'm getting her weighed every week with the gp and he's happy enough up to this week.
    we have a paediatric appointment on Monday, and he reckons they'll do a battery of tests, she has bloods and urinalysis done before Christmas and everything was clear.
    my head is wrecked!
    Not meaning to pry but is there a reason she has to be weighed every wk? My little girl has a hole in her heart and the doc on hearing that I couldn't tell him how many ounces she was taking per day wanted me to get her weighed regularly to check her progress but I prefer to just judge by her nappies and well being. I don't usually go against what a doctor says but I think they're just so hung up on ounces and exact numbers from seeing so many formula fed babies.
    If there is genuinely a problem with weight gain could it be tongue tie? A friend of mine was tormented by her phn talking her her guy wasn't putting on enough wait and eventually after seeing many docs and lactation consultants a different lc finally diagnosed tongue tie. Even after sorting it he's still a skinny guy- just his build.
    Try not to worry, if she's happy in herself then I struggle to see how there can be a real problem.

No advice cbyrd but hope you can get answers or reassurance from lactation consultant.

I was going to suggest maybe there was an oversupply of milk but if lo has mustard yellow poos then it's probably not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The lactation consultant phoned today which was great, I've to go see her on Tuesday, she thinks it may be a supply issue, as in a poor supply and that she's get just enough but not enough to thrive. She is a happy baby but I do feel like I'm feeding 24/7.
    I bring her weekly for weigh-ins as she had such a traumatic birth, they're keeping an eye on her anyway. I know with my first girl, she gained between 7 and 9 ozs a week. This lady, the most she'll put on in a week was 3 ozs.. last week it was 20 grams. Hopefully the lactation consultant will shed some light on the situation! She works in the hospital and knows her paediatrician and warned me he will push bottles!
    I've been told to express anyway to stimulate and if I get anything it's a bonus cos I can use that for top ups.
    Here's hoping it'll help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

cbyrd wrote:
    The lactation consultant phoned today which was great, I've to go see her on Tuesday, she thinks it may be a supply issue, as in a poor supply and that she's get just enough but not enough to thrive. She is a happy baby but I do feel like I'm feeding 24/7. I bring her weekly for weigh-ins as she had such a traumatic birth, they're keeping an eye on her anyway. I know with my first girl, she gained between 7 and 9 ozs a week. This lady, the most she'll put on in a week was 3 ozs.. last week it was 20 grams. Hopefully the lactation consultant will shed some light on the situation! She works in the hospital and knows her paediatrician and warned me he will push bottles! I've been told to express anyway to stimulate and if I get anything it's a bonus cos I can use that for top ups. Here's hoping it'll help!

that's great that you spoke to the lc and that you have a plan. oats are supposed to help with supply so maybe try to fit in some porridge or oat cakes etc. I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Cbyrd I know it is tough when you have older kids but when your partner is around could you spend a day or two in bed with baby stripped down to just a nappy and blankets over both of you, lots of skin to skin and free access to the boob? I'd forget the top up's for a few days and let baby feed away. Even if babys only latched for comfort rather than food it should help to up your supply. Porridge oats and fenugreek also good for boosting supply.

After stressing myself out about supply and having enough milk for my girl as a baby and feeling pressured into top up's, I am now a huge advocate of watching the baby rather than the scales. Once there are no issues with milk transfer due to a posterior tounge tie etc. If they are feeding well, wetting nappies, and alert, weight gain should head in the right direction in due time. You know your baby best so do whatever you are comfortable with.

Sorry if I'm totally projecting my own experiences here, but I definitely feel that the advice I received from some HCP'S undermined my ability to breastfeed successfully. I was supplementing feeds from the early days which led to true supply issues and then my daughter rejecting the boob totally. I've tried to do a lot of reading to avoid the same situation whenever we hopefully have our next baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

The lactation consultant phoned today which was great, I've to go see her on Tuesday, she thinks it may be a supply issue, as in a poor supply and that she's get just enough but not enough to thrive. She is a happy baby but I do feel like I'm feeding 24/7.
    I bring her weekly for weigh-ins as she had such a traumatic birth, they're keeping an eye on her anyway. I know with my first girl, she gained between 7 and 9 ozs a week. This lady, the most she'll put on in a week was 3 ozs.. last week it was 20 grams. Hopefully the lactation consultant will shed some light on the situation! She works in the hospital and knows her paediatrician and warned me he will push bottles!
    I've been told to express anyway to stimulate and if I get anything it's a bonus cos I can use that for top ups.
    Here's hoping it'll help!

Sounds like you are doing all you can to keep bf your girl, fair play to you. Pumping probably will help your supply alright. And you can ashtrays feed her the expressed milk too. I was pumping once in the morning for a few weeks and I started producing about another feed then. You probably know thus already but in case not, pump around the same time every day. Best of luck!

Thanks ladies, even though I'm a man to 5 and particularly because I am, people expect you to have enough experience to just get on with it. I have so much more faith in the information I get here than going on what the phn says cos inevitably they need to tick boxes and cover themselves or pass the buck, in my case to the gp. My new gp is really good. Never once mentioned bottles to me and looks at her rather than charts, although she's dropped to the 3rd percentile now, but is otherwise a happy content baby, just skinny! I co-sleep too otherwise I'd get no sleep, she sleeps for 4-5 hours a night which is great!

I got a shock today at the paediatricians, either she's been on a binge or the doc's scale is off, she's 8,13 today which means she put on 4ozs over the weekend! She's been handed a yellow card for 3 weeks before they'll insist on supplements so fingers crossed the lactation consultant can help tomorrow! thank you for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Two week check up today and my little girl is over her birth weight. Isn't it mad how happy hearing news like that can make you. Just coming out the other side of a growth spurt and a few tough nights, hearing she is thriving has made it all even more worth while.

• Advertisement

fall wrote: »
    Two week check up today and my little girl is over her birth weight. Isn't it mad how happy hearing news like that can make you. Just coming out the other side of a growth spurt and a few tough nights, hearing she is thriving has made it all even more worth while.

Well done, both mum and baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

fall wrote: »

Congratulations, that's brilliant news :D

So, if have a plan of action. The paediatrician has given me 3 weeks. the lactation consultant said she has an immature suck and is burning loads of calories trying to get enough. So I'm feeding and expressing from the other side and then topping her up with this when she's finished feeding. It's tough going cos I'm expressing about 8 times a day.. But I can see the difference already! Hopefully it will show on the scale tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

So, if have a plan of action. The paediatrician has given me 3 weeks. the lactation consultant said she has an immature suck and is burning loads of calories trying to get enough. So I'm feeding and expressing from the other side and then topping her up with this when she's finished feeding. It's tough going cos I'm expressing about 8 times a day.. But I can see the difference already! Hopefully it will show on the scale tomorrow ;)
    Great admiration for your determination cbyrd with all your other kiddios to look after too! I'm sure you will see the difference tomorrow.
    I had great intentions to start pumping but the pump is still sitting in the cupboard from its last use 2 yrs ago ðŸ˜

I don't envy you with the pumping but I'd do it myself if that was the solution to my problem. Just out of interest did the LC say that your baby's immature suck would right itself with time? Hopefully it will and you can cut back the pumping. I do it once a day myself and for me that's enough!

Long post sorry.

So my bubs is 4 months and just found out his tongue tie, snipped around 5 weeks, has reattached :(

Said I would share the background in case anyone reading the thread in future has similar issues. When I was researching what could be up with my bubs I couldn't find much on it.

He has always fed frequently and for long periods at a time but I thought this was standard for a newborn, then thought he was a hungry baby, but at 4 months he is feeding nearly every 2 hours so said I'd get it checked out.

After the tongue tie was first snipped, the latch improved and once we were off nipple shields, he was no longer falling on and off. So I had thought all was fixed. His weight gain was fine too, more than fine.

Turns out weight gain can actually be linked to tongue tie. I think this is because the boob is being stimulated so often, albeit with an inefficient suck. So my body is making loads of milk. He is not able to empty the boob so is only getting the milk at the start of the feed. This milk is high in sugar but low in fat so it's not filling, so he feeds more often and takes in more of the high sugar milk to fill him up. So weight gain was grand cos of this. He had green poos though which indicated the high sugar intake. Just pointing this out cos I consulted with 2 lactation consultants who said that green poos were normal if weight gain was good and baby was happy. But I consulted another LC who made the link between the green poos from oversupply of milk and a tongue tie.

So I'm gonna get tongue tie re-snipped so that bubs will hopefully be able to finish the boob, reduce feeding time and slow the weight gain.

I wish I had gotten a LC to check earlier that it had not reattached rather than put LO through the re-snip now - I feel he will be more aware now of what is happening to him :(

Anyway, will post again afterwards to say if there is any improvement in latch and efficiency of feeds.

So TLDR my advice for anyone getting LO's tongue tie snipped is to get it checked that it doesn't reattach. Cos to me the symptoms of re-attachment weren't obvious but if I had had it checked, I would have known earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Marz66 wrote: »
    Long post sorry.

So my bubs is 4 months and just found out his tongue tie, snipped around 5 weeks, has reattached :(

Said I would share the background in case anyone reading the thread in future has similar issues. When I was researching what could be up with my bubs I couldn't find much on it.

He has always fed frequently and for long periods at a time but I thought this was standard for a newborn, then thought he was a hungry baby, but at 4 months he is feeding nearly every 2 hours so said I'd get it checked out.

After the tongue tie was first snipped, the latch improved and once we were off nipple shields, he was no longer falling on and off. So I had thought all was fixed. His weight gain was fine too, more than fine.

Turns out weight gain can actually be linked to tongue tie. I think this is because the boob is being stimulated so often, albeit with an inefficient suck. So my body is making loads of milk. He is not able to empty the boob so is only getting the milk at the start of the feed. This milk is high in sugar but low in fat so it's not filling, so he feeds more often and takes in more of the high sugar milk to fill him up. So weight gain was grand cos of this. He had green poos though which indicated the high sugar intake. Just pointing this out cos I consulted with 2 lactation consultants who said that green poos were normal if weight gain was good and baby was happy. But I consulted another LC who made the link between the green poos from oversupply of milk and a tongue tie.

So I'm gonna get tongue tie re-snipped so that bubs will hopefully be able to finish the boob, reduce feeding time and slow the weight gain.

I wish I had gotten a LC to check earlier that it had not reattached rather than put LO through the re-snip now - I feel he will be more aware now of what is happening to him :(

Anyway, will post again afterwards to say if there is any improvement in latch and efficiency of feeds.

So TLDR my advice for anyone getting LO's tongue tie snipped is to get it checked that it doesn't reattach. Cos to me the symptoms of re-attachment weren't obvious but if I had had it checked, I would have known earlier.

Sorry to hear Marz that you have to get it done again. And thanks for sharing your experiences. I really feel that hearing so many different experiences helps educate us on breastfeeding.
    All things considered though - you've done your absolute best to make this work. You really shouldn't beat yourself up over not spitting it had reattached. There are so many reasons a 4 month old would feed frequently how the heck can you land on the one reason first time? While I don't have experience with tongue tie and snipping, 4 months is still really young. He might react a little more than the first time but he'll still get over it and won't remember a thing. Fair play to you for getting it done and keeping up breastfeeding. That's admirable :)

kandr10 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Marz that you have to get it done again. And thanks for sharing your experiences. I really feel that hearing so many different experiences helps educate us on breastfeeding.
    All things considered though - you've done your absolute best to make this work. You really shouldn't beat yourself up over not spitting it had reattached. There are so many reasons a 4 month old would feed frequently how the heck can you land on the one reason first time? While I don't have experience with tongue tie and snipping, 4 months is still really young. He might react a little more than the first time but he'll still get over it and won't remember a thing. Fair play to you for getting it done and keeping up breastfeeding. That's admirable :)

Thanks kandr10
    When I heard it had reattached, my heart sank, felt I was back to those difficult, early days of tongue tie, nipple shields etc. But I am glad we know now and can hopefully sort it out. Bit nervous about us both re-learning a new latch but hopefully it will go well.

Meant to say the first two lactation consultants I spoke to were at the maternity hospital and at a coffee morning. The third one I spoke to I had out at my house and paid for the visit. So it paid off having her take the time to concentrate on my bubs rather than waiting in a queue to see a LC like at the hospital.

bovril wrote:
    I don't envy you with the pumping but I'd do it myself if that was the solution to my problem. Just out of interest did the LC say that your baby's immature suck would right itself with time? Hopefully it will and you can cut back the pumping. I do it once a day myself and for me that's enough!

Yes, she said as she gains weight and gets stronger her suck will slow down and not be as frantic. She called me today ( Saturday) to see how we're getting on. Through chatting about her birth weight figured out that it was probably from being given a dodi when she was in special care, they put glycerin on it to make sure she sucked it. So she got into the habit of a fast but not strong suck which made my supply drop. I can see it improving already. the better my supply is the slower and stronger she's feeding.

The LC also said she will try to get me an industrial strength pump for a month :). I have to say that I am gobsmacked at how much she is helping and how proud she made me feel for going to the effort of feeding and pumping, but as I explained to her when my now 5 year old went to bottles the sickness from the dairy in the formula drove me demented AND I can just roll over in the night and feed her beside me and not have to get up for bottles! win win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

cbyrd, well done, that's not an easy breastfeeding journey to have at all but you're playing an absolute blinder. It sounds like bubs has really trend a corner with the weight gain and long may it continue!

We've hit the six months to mark with feeding here, I'm really chuffed :) I had a mental goal of three months, and in the early few days that seemed like such an impossible task - breastfeeding is HARD starting out!! But we worked through tongue ties and lip ties,cracked and bleeding nipples, shallow latches and all night feeds (that still happens :o) and nursing is so easy and relaxed now. If anyone is finding things tough and wondering does it ever get better, it really does!

• Advertisement

Yes, she said as she gains weight and gets stronger her suck will slow down and not be as frantic. She called me today ( Saturday) to see how we're getting on. Through chatting about her birth weight figured out that it was probably from being given a dodi when she was in special care, they put glycerin on it to make sure she sucked it. So she got into the habit of a fast but not strong suck which made my supply drop. I can see it improving already. the better my supply is the slower and stronger she's feeding.

The LC also said she will try to get me an industrial strength pump for a month :). I have to say that I am gobsmacked at how much she is helping and how proud she made me feel for going to the effort of feeding and pumping, but as I explained to her when my now 5 year old went to bottles the sickness from the dairy in the formula drove me demented AND I can just roll over in the night and feed her beside me and not have to get up for bottles! win win

Fair play to you. Also, it is great to hear about overcoming issues and getting good help and support for bf :)

Well done cbyrd :)

Hi, I'm planning a birthday lunch for my Mum soon and am looking for a recommendation of a bf friendly spot in Dublin city centre. I know all places have to let me bf but it'll be my first time to bf in public so looking for somewhere to ease me into it. Baby will be too young for a high chair so will need space for the pram.

Also where do people do a nappy change if they're just browsing the shops in Dublin?

Posted this in the bargains thread by mistake but might get more replies about the bf part here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's only when you've got a buggy/pram that you see how inaccessible a lot of places are. I used to wonder how wheel chair users managed. I found everything had to be planned and times. I had a (very short!) list of suitable places with nice food.

Chester Beatty Museum and Silk Road Cafe, as I said before, was always top of my list

Thanks How Strange, I would never have thought of Chester Beatty café. I tried about a year ago to book a cafe with some friends and one had a buggy and was very surprised with lack of options. I knew some boardsies would have some ideas though. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

The Cafe in the basement of Brown Thomas, I've fed in there, and seen loads of other mums do same, and there's a lovely feeding and changing room twenty feet away if you'd prefer privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Jerrica wrote: »
    The Cafe in the basement of Brown Thomas, I've fed in there, and seen loads of other mums do same, and there's a lovely feeding and changing room twenty feet away if you'd prefer privacy.

+1!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Can I just say how much I absolutely adore breastfeeding. We haven't hit the 6 month mark yet but that was my original goal and I've now revised it to get to the 12 month mark. It really is the most amazing feeling in the whole world to feed your baby yourself and then mid-feed when your baby stops for a bit to look up and gaze at you and give you a big milky smile is just heart melting. It was so hard in the early days but I am a million percent so glad I stuck with it.

:)

tinkerbell wrote: »
    It really is the most amazing feeling in the whole world to feed your baby yourself and then mid-feed when your baby stops for a bit to look up and gaze at you and give you a big milky smile is just heart melting. It was so hard in the early days but I am a million percent so glad I stuck with it.

Well done Tinkerbell.

I'm 11 weeks in myself and I feel the exact same way as you. I love the smiles mid feed. The other thing I love is seeing her weight go up each week. I go to a bf support group where you can get your baby weighed each week with no pressure. I am so happy knowing it's me that is causing the little pudding cheeks and thighs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Can I just say how much I absolutely adore breastfeeding. We haven't hit the 6 month mark yet but that was my original goal and I've now revised it to get to the 12 month mark. It really is the most amazing feeling in the whole world to feed your baby yourself and then mid-feed when your baby stops for a bit to look up and gaze at you and give you a big milky smile is just heart melting. It was so hard in the early days but I am a million percent so glad I stuck with it.

Pregnant with #3 and the thing i'm looking forward to most is b'feeding again. Aside of course from the obvious meeting and getting to know babs. And it's our last so i can b'feed forever if i want :D

Advertisement