Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

I'm thinking of introducing formula. Just to see if it might help in some way. Don't know what I expect will happen but I'm so extremely tired today. J seems to cry in his sleep with what seems like wind pains. And it wakes him up. I get no sleep. This only seems to happen when lying down in bed or for naps. His cot is titled. Also when having tummy time he always spits up. I'm starting to think there is somethin wrong with his tummy.

Goin to ring health nurse on Monday. I'll give him the weekend before doin anything mad. He formula upsets him then maybe it's milk Sudbury that's the problem though homeopath said no allergies. Oh I don't know. Also have another 7 day's of antibiotic to go for mastitis but I don't see it clearing at all!

I'm thinking of introducing formula. Just to see if it might help in some way. Don't know what I expect will happen but I'm so extremely tired today. J seems to cry in his sleep with what seems like wind pains. And it wakes him up. I get no sleep. This only seems to happen when lying down in bed or for naps. His cot is titled. Also when having tummy time he always spits up. I'm starting to think there is somethin wrong with his tummy.

Goin to ring health nurse on Monday. I'll give him the weekend before doin anything mad. He formula upsets him then maybe it's milk Sudbury that's the problem though homeopath said no allergies. Oh I don't know. Also have another 7 day's of antibiotic to go for mastitis but I don't see it clearing at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Are you getting lots of rest or at least as much as you can? It's really important that you are because mastitis is an infection so your body is working very hard to fight it. Rest is as important as the antibiotics.

Only you know what you have to do but perhaps hold off on formula until you're in a better frame of mind. Don't make decisions when you're exhausted.

Can your husband/partner look after everything else this weekend so you can go to bed, rest and feed? He can take the baby off you so you can sleep between feeds.

Did you have a break between the two prescriptions or are you continuing on with the antibiotic without any gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

More of a moan than anything but seriously finding it all so hard this time... Got S's tongue tie clipped yest it was a posterior tie. It really annoys me that the doc in hosp said she had none despite the obvious problems I was having with her latch, but anyway. So at least that's sorted. She's relearning how to feed so feeding constantly.

I've had a blocked duct which I thankfully managed to clear. My supply isn't as good as it could be so trying to pump a few times a day, but with a 20 month old it's impossible. She's doing a huge amount of puking I had to change my top twice during the night because it was soaked through with baby spit up. I don't know if it's the tongue tie and swallowing air, or if she has reflux. GP said we need to wait and see: she's more than gaining weight at her 2 week check up she weighed 10 pounds.

And now to top it all off I'm having the most painful let down I had none of this with my first little girl. Just tormented and she's only 16 days old!

• Advertisement

Wow cyning you've been through the mill.

Both of mine spat up a lot in the early weeks. I remember with my son he vomited all over me 3 times one night and I had to change my bra and top. After that I always made sure to have spares ready.

I would to worry too much about the spitting up if she's not distressed. I heard jack Newman talk at the LLL conference recently and he said spitting up is not only normal but it's natures way of coating their gut and throat etc with lots of goodness from the milk as it sticks and helps fight bacteria. Or words to that effect.

Motilium is supposed to be great for boosting supply. Read up on line about it and if you decide to use it try get your doctor to prescribe it. Jack Newman also talked about its use at the conference because there were studies saying it was unsafe but he said the study didn't test on breastfeeding mothers but on people who were a lot older.

As they say, it's a phase and this too will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Cyning my baby used to get sick all the time for the first while dont worry about that too much.

Did anyone else's appetite increase at 5 months. Im suddenly starving all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Madisson wrote: »
    Cyning my baby used to get sick all the time for the first while dont worry about that too much.

Did anyone else's appetite increase at 5 months. Im suddenly starving all the time

Do u mean your appetite or the baby's? I'm always hungry these days (my lo is 4.5 mths). Weak with hunger if a meal is late!

After sleeping through the night for past 2 months she's now started waking. Is this the famous sleep regression?

Did you have a break between the two prescriptions or are you continuing on with the antibiotic without any gap?

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i'm continuing straight through. I had one lot. Then a week free then a second lot and straight into third lot.
    I've tried everything to help his wind. And it's only a night time problem.
    Only one night feed last night. But he was awake for nearly 2 hours with wind pains again.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i'm continuing straight through. I had one lot. Then a week free then a second lot and straight into third lot.
    Only one night feed last night. But he was awake for nearly 2 hours with wind pains again.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think wind is just a normal problem at that age. They're still so young. As long as he's not in pain that is. Everything gets better by degrees week by week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

cyning wrote: »
    More of a moan than anything but seriously finding it all so hard this time... Got S's tongue tie clipped yest it was a posterior tie. It really annoys me that the doc in hosp said she had none despite the obvious problems I was having with her latch, but anyway. So at least that's sorted. She's relearning how to feed so feeding constantly.

I've had a blocked duct which I thankfully managed to clear. My supply isn't as good as it could be so trying to pump a few times a day, but with a 20 month old it's impossible. She's doing a huge amount of puking I had to change my top twice during the night because it was soaked through with baby spit up. I don't know if it's the tongue tie and swallowing air, or if she has reflux. GP said we need to wait and see: she's more than gaining weight at her 2 week check up she weighed 10 pounds.

And now to top it all off I'm having the most painful let down I had none of this with my first little girl. Just tormented and she's only 16 days old!
    Sounds pretty intense.
    Have you tried changing nursing positions? with the clip you might need to try some new positions.
    The laid-back was my go-to position if there was any issues, in fact we mostly still nurse like that now (he is 3). You do not need to be lying down, just move you bum forward so your body is at an angle, you can do it anywhere, your baby lies on top of you, tummy to tummy. The more upright position helps with the reflux and spit-up, as well as encouraging the latch to come form below and it is a better latch.
    https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/some-ins-and-outs-laid-back-breastfeeding
    vSome Ins and Outs of Laid-Back Breastfeeding

By Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA
    These laid-back positions not only make breastfeeding less work for mothers, they also make it easier for babies to take the breast deeply, especially during the early weeks. That’s because in these positions gravity helps rather than hinders babies’ inborn feeding reflexes, which can make a huge difference when babies are at their most uncoordinated. After decades of teaching mothers to breastfeed sitting upright or lying on their sides, many have difficulty visualizing this new approach. One common question I am often asked is whether these positions are practical after a cesarean birth. The answer is most definitely yes.

A number of adjustments can be made to help a mother customize laid-back breastfeeding (also known as “Biological Nurturing”) to her body type and situation. As you can see from these line drawings, one adjustment is changing the direction of the baby’s “lie” on her body. In all laid-back positions, baby lies tummy down on mother, but this can be accomplished in many ways. The baby can lie vertically below mother’s breast (as on this website’s banner), diagonally below the breasts, across her breasts, at her side, even over her shoulder. As Suzanne Colson explains in her DVD, “Biological Nurturing: Laid-Back Breastfeeding,” the breast is a circle, and the baby can approach it from any of its 360 degrees, except for positions in which the baby’s body covers mother’s face. So after a cesarean birth a mother can use many laid-back positions without baby resting on her incision.

Thanks guys :) she's getting upset with the puking alright but she is still gulping down air and that's not helping... My GP is as breastfeeding friendly as you can get so he wants to see if the spitting up is improved by tongue tie: he knows I don't want to use gaviscon or anything stronger unless I have to!

I've been doing laid back nursing but I miss being able to lie down at night: she's sleeping on my chest with me propped up right now all night.

I know it will all pass but it's just tough going right now. I keep reminding myself how much easier it gets!

Unfortunately I think wind is just a normal problem at that age. They're still so young. As long as he's not in pain that is. Everything gets better by degrees week by week.

He seems worse in the last month and it does seem like he is in pain. And for his feeds he is fussing and then crying as if in pain. Plenty of milk there. I'll run it all by the nurse. I was told he had a small hernia but don't think this is affecting it.

He seems worse in the last month and it does seem like he is in pain. And for his feeds he is fussing and then crying as if in pain. Plenty of milk there. I'll run it all by the nurse. I was told he had a small hernia but don't think this is affecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

I am finding it very very difficult to continue breastfeeding:( not sure if I am the only one here. I never knew it would be this difficult. It is my first baby and he is 8 weeks today. Don't know how to continue till 6 months.
    Past two days he has been feeding every half an hour, I haven't got him off the boob for past two days, sore nipple would be understatement, they are on fire.
    And the constant worry of supply, I am not sure if milk is there any more as he is constantly hungry. He anyways fed every one and a half hour but half hour is very stressful.
    I am just ranting I believe, but wondering how you ladies kept it up. I have lost count of the times I have thought of giving it up.

Has anyone else found it this difficult? People I know who breastfed, don't seem to complain that much, hence I guess I am making a big deal of it.
    But I am finding it very difficult to say the least.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

kandr10 wrote: »
    Do u mean your appetite or the baby's? I'm always hungry these days (my lo is 4.5 mths). Weak with hunger if a meal is late!

After sleeping through the night for past 2 months she's now started waking. Is this the famous sleep regression?

Ye my appetite. My appetite hadnt increased with breast feeding untill now. I want to eat all around me these days

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

kknitter wrote: »
    I am finding it very very difficult to continue breastfeeding:( not sure if I am the only one here. I never knew it would be this difficult. It is my first baby and he is 8 weeks today. Don't know how to continue till 6 months.
    Past two days he has been feeding every half an hour, I haven't got him off the boob for past two days, sore nipple would be understatement, they are on fire.
    And the constant worry of supply, I am not sure if milk is there any more as he is constantly hungry. He anyways fed every one and a half hour but half hour is very stressful.
    I am just ranting I believe, but wondering how you ladies kept it up. I have lost count of the times I have thought of giving it up.

Has anyone else found it this difficult? People I know who breastfed, don't seem to complain that much, hence I guess I am making a big deal of it.
    But I am finding it very difficult to say the least.

Regards

I have the same problem at least with the nipples on fire. He is only two weeks old and it's already so sore. He is a snacker and somedays on and off the breast every few minutes. At night he is falling asleep and the moment I move he is hungry again. I have to sit in bed or in the chair as he would not latch on while I am lying. So you're not alone and I Do it only two weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Cyning, don't really have any advice as you're doing everything you can anyway. I'd only say that it's great you got it cut so early, my boy's was cut at 5 weeks and was already on a formula top up (which I've not been able to get rid of). The first weekend after was prob the worst and most painful, I don't know why but the pain went completely by the Monday. I never got on with the laid back position but I did have him on my chest for about 7 weeks (3 weeks post cut). He still pukes A LOT but I don't believe it's reflux and he's latch has never been a complete seal but we're still muddling through. The one thing I would say is make sure you keep up the tongue exercises as the tie can actually grow back. I suppose the only good thing is that as this is your second you do know it will get easier.

kknitter, you are definitely not the only one who finds breastfeeding hard, it is really hard, I think everyone struggles with some aspect of it. I nearly gave up so many times at the beginning but then my sister told me just to do one more feed and then have think and I with this I kept going. Sounds like you're going through a growth spurt...lanolin and paracetamol are your only friends here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Kknitter I know what you mean about the nipples being sore! I'd second lanolin. Slather yourself in it after each feed. It might not apply to you but I found when feeding so frequently that I was getting lazy with helping lo to latch on. I find it much easier when I make a conscious effort to check it each time. Take each day as it comes and try not to look any further than that. Things will change and it'll all settle soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

If you are sore and your baby is feeding often you NEED to look at your latch, it might seem to be fine, but it should not be sore.
    The potential areas are : poor latch, poor milk transfer, tongue or lip tie.
    There are babies that nurse that often, but not many.
    You should if you can get a lactation consultant, but as both babies are young, your maternity hospital should still be looking after you so, call now and find ot when the LC has office hours and get in there.
    Or get one to come to your house, your health insurance may cover it,
    If you cant do either go to a laleache league meeting or cuidiu.

Breastfeeding should NOT hurt. There is a breastfeeding solution to all breastfeeding problems and last slogan of the post ;-) never give up on a bad day.
    It can be gotten over, my sons first few weeks were hell, but we fixed the latch with laid-back nursing, and while it has never been completely pain free because of a posterior TT, he s 3 now and still nursing a few times a day.

Thanks guys :) I'm doing the laid back position alright: I'm not in constant pain anymore well worth getting the tongue tie done there's a slight improvement every day! I know this will pass and it's just as well she's my second as I'd think breastfeeding was the worst thing in the world ever ;) I don't know if it's reflux or not: I'm hoping just the awful latch. But at the same time there's a lot of yellow spit up. Night is the worst. She needed to be fully changed twice last night and me ;) Day isn't as bad but I sling her a lot so that's definitely helping.

I swear by the multimam compresses to help sore nipples: they are expensive but well worth it.

Kknitter I was breastfeeding my first little girl until I was 16 weeks pregnant. This time I'm having constant constant problems. I'm finding it really really difficult. I second everything lynski said :) it does get easier honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I had lots of problems with my baby (7 weeks tomorrow) and wind /gas. Have you tried giving Infacol before every feed? Its been a godsend for me - he settles far easier now. We also have his mattress tilted and have bumpers too so he can lie on his side which helps way more than the wedge I believe. Also we got gripe water from a friend in the uk, and if weve forgotten the infacol, its amazing at instantly getting the wind up.
    I know with my fella it can take a half hour of burping to get rid of all the wind. One thing I do know is that formula makes it worse!

I had lots of problems with my baby (7 weeks tomorrow) and wind /gas. Have you tried giving Infacol before every feed? Its been a godsend for me - he settles far easier now. We also have his mattress tilted and have bumpers too so he can lie on his side which helps way more than the wedge I believe. Also we got gripe water from a friend in the uk, and if weeve forgotten the infacol, its amazing at instantly getting the wind up.
    I know with my fella it can take a half hour of burping to get rid of all the wind. One thing I do know is that formula makes it worse!

I've tried them all! Might retry them all again. Cot is titled but I don't have him on his side but I think it would help. How do you do it? So tired now with his 1 to 2 hours of waking!

I had lots of problems with my baby (7 weeks tomorrow) and wind /gas. Have you tried giving Infacol before every feed? Its been a godsend for me - he settles far easier now. We also have his mattress tilted and have bumpers too so he can lie on his side which helps way more than the wedge I believe. Also we got gripe water from a friend in the uk, and if weeve forgotten the infacol, its amazing at instantly getting the wind up.

I've tried them all! Might retry them all again. Cot is titled but I don't have him on his side but I think it would help. How do you do it? So tired now with his 1 to 2 hours of waking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We had the clevamama wedge cushion and it comes with bumpers. We just put him down on his side and pull the bumpers in close so he can't roll onto his tummy. Also have the arm that's closest to the mattress out in front of him. Sometimes when he's deep asleep we gently move him to his back.

You can also just roll up some towels as bumpers but make sure they can't roll away from him.

My guy doesn't sleep much during the day anyway. But at least he isn't crying all the time anymore!

Advertisement