Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Bagheera is this your first? If so sleep when the baby sleeps. It might sound like a cliche as you hear it so often but it's true and it really helps. Both of you get back into bed after breakfast, snuggle and sleep.

Do you not like co sleeping? I resisted it first time around but second time I just went with it as it was the best way to get some sleep. I used to half lie down/half recline and put a pillow under the elbow where her head was. I always left a night light on so I could see where she was but it found cosleeping great. She decided at 12 weeks she didn't want to sleep on me and she preferred the Moses basket so we started using that. At the beginning if put in something with my smell on it and I slept on the sheet for a couple of nights so it smelled familiar to her.

red fraggle has your baby been assessed for tongue tie?

Also did you have a 10 day course of antibiotics? You need 10 days to clear the mastitis infection although some doctors don't know that.

I just think it's strange that you're getting mastitis at this stage especially with the extra feeds due to night wakings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Bagheera wrote: »
    Just feel I need to post today as I'm having a very low day. I'm feeling exhausted, have had a virus the past few days and night feeds are not getting any easier. My son is just under 10 weeks old and I know it's normal for him to still be feeding at night but I'm wrecked. We've been trying him with one bottle a day since 6 weeks. At first he kind of played with it, then one night he downed 50ml. I thought 'yes, we've cracked it!' That was two weeks ago and since then if my husband goes near him with the bottle he gets hysterical and the only thing that calms him is the boobie of course. I don't understand why he took it then suddenly went anti-bottle totally!

I don't need to be away from him any time in the next couple of months but it would be nice to know that I could go out for a few hours without worrying about rushing home to feed him. It's just all taking it's toll at the moment probably because I've been feeling unwell. The other problem is getting him to sleep in his cot as I don't sleep well when he's in the bed and he ends up beside me by 3am at the latest every night as he won't settle otherwise. It's better having him in beside me than not sleeping at all, but I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Rant over, hoping I feel more positive tomorrow as I do love Breastfeeding but the way I feel right now I want to quit!

As posted before, sleep when baby sleeps.. i used to love the morning feed after breakfast when the older girls were gone to school. When my 4th cam i used to read to the then 2 year old and feed the baby, the 2 year old would go back to sleep and so would i.. it was a lifeline, cos when the other 2 came in from school it was all go.
    At night-time (2, 3 ,5 am) feeds i just brought the babies into to bed and i lay flat on my side and fed lying down so i could doze.. when baby was done i would put him back in the moses basket, I always had a spare small sheet that i put under me, this i put under his head just as i was putting him into the basket.. it was warm so no cold shock when i put him down and it smelled of me, i always found it a good idea to have something warm under their heads putting them down.

Its not easy when they're so little, but it doesnt last forever and eventually they do sleep a little longer every night.. and the first night the sleep through you'll be awake wondering if they're okay :D
    Best of luck with the feeding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Bagheera is this your first? If so sleep when the baby sleeps. It might sound like a cliche as you hear it so often but it's true and it really helps. Both of you get back into bed after breakfast, snuggle and sleep.

Do you not like co sleeping? I resisted it first time around but second time I just went with it as it was the best way to get some sleep. I used to half lie down/half recline and put a pillow under the elbow where her head was. I always left a night light on so I could see where she was but it found cosleeping great. She decided at 12 weeks she didn't want to sleep on me and she preferred the Moses basket so we started using that. At the beginning if put in something with my smell on it and I slept on the sheet for a couple of nights so it smelled familiar to her.

No I have a three year old as well so that's one of the reasons I'm so tired. He's really playing up at the moment and I'm finding him very tough going.

I would be happy to co sleep if it was just me and the little one in the bed, but with my husband there too I just don't have enough room to get comfortable. I tried to get my husband to sleep in the spare room but he won't and that's peeing me off too. He says he doesn't find the other bed comfortable but I know I'd get more sleep if he'd just go in there!

I feel like crying at the moment as I have just fed him to sleep twice only for him to wake up again. My husband is up there at the moment trying to settle him now. I know it's just a bad couple of days and in a few days time I'll hopefully be back to enjoying feeding, but right now I really want to run away from it all :(

You poor thing. I feel like that quite a lot and right now too from sleep deprivation. I've a 3 year old too so I know how tough it can be. It doesn't last forever though and hopefully he'll settle into a routine of sorts soon.

• Advertisement

cbyrd wrote: »
    As posted before, sleep when baby sleeps.. i used to love the morning feed after breakfast when the older girls were gone to school. When my 4th cam i used to read to the then 2 year old and feed the baby, the 2 year old would go back to sleep and so would i.. it was a lifeline, cos when the other 2 came in from school it was all go.
    At night-time (2, 3 ,5 am) feeds i just brought the babies into to bed and i lay flat on my side and fed lying down so i could doze.. when baby was done i would put him back in the moses basket, I always had a spare small sheet that i put under me, this i put under his head just as i was putting him into the basket.. it was warm so no cold shock when i put him down and it smelled of me, i always found it a good idea to have something warm under their heads putting them down.

Its not easy when they're so little, but it doesnt last forever and eventually they do sleep a little longer every night.. and the first night the sleep through you'll be awake wondering if they're okay :D
    Best of luck with the feeding ;)

I might try that with the sheet; he is already too long for his Moses basket but I used to lie on the mattress when feeding him when he was in it to keep it warm.

Just after my last post I remembered back to when my first was that age. I keep looking through rose tinted glasses but the reality is he probably was the same (although he was definitely much happier to sleep in his cot). I survived that so I'll survive this. It's just good to get it off my chest here, thanks :)

You poor thing. I feel like that quite a lot and right now too from sleep deprivation. I've a 3 year old too so I know how tough it can be. It doesn't last forever though and hopefully he'll settle into a routine of sorts soon.

How strange you're so good giving advice to other people even though you're having a hard time yourself! Thank you. I feel better just from venting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kvicka

anyone experience with bf while pregnant with second baby? cant picure to wean my little woman at 16 months....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Kvicka I breastfed my little girl until I was 16 weeks pregnant: I gently weaned her then. But you can feed the whole pregnancy if you wish... Your milk supply can dry up though. Some will self wean at that stage, but more will just keep "feeding".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

clare82 wrote: »
    hey ladies,
    quick question about side lying feeding...my LO is 5mths old and we normally feed lying in bed in the morning but i cant seem to do it without putting my arm under her neck which works but its just im worried that its ok..or if anyone else does it this way?. my boobs are not that big so its not that easy to do it the "right" way. she feeds fine, falls asleep and then i remove my arm from under her...id just like to know if theres anyone else out there that does same/similar. im going to a lll meeting early next month so i can ask there but sure ye know how it is, sometimes you just need to ask as many people as possible!

I wouldn't think there is any problem with the way you are doing it, if ye are both comfortable. And the main thing is that she stays asleep after you pull you arm out! Sure in the cradle hold you'd have your arm under her neck anyway.

My baby is 5 months too and I feed lying down either with him flat on mattress or on a thin pillow. Then I double up my pillow and put it under my head. My top arm is usually stretched out on the mattress above his head and second arm sort of cuddling him to keep the duvet in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

livinsane wrote: »
    I wouldn't think there is any problem with the way you are doing it, if ye are both comfortable. And the main thing is that she stays asleep after you pull you arm out! Sure in the cradle hold you'd have your arm under her neck anyway.

My baby is 5 months too and I feed lying down either with him flat on mattress or on a thin pillow. Then I double up my pillow and put it under my head. My top arm is usually stretched out on the mattress above his head and second arm sort of cuddling him to keep the duvet in place.

Thanks for replying :-) it does seem to work fine and yea at least she stays sleeping so I'll continue as I am doing

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Also did you have a 10 day course of antibiotics? You need 10 days to clear the mastitis infection although some doctors don't know that.

I just think it's strange that you're getting mastitis at this stage especially with the extra feeds due to night wakings.

No he hasn't been checked for tongue tie but the monkey sticks it out quite far when smiling!!! So I think it's o.k. I really don't know why I'm getting it cos everything has settled! I only got a 7 day course and now another 7 day course. Back for follow up Tue so will mention it then. I want it gone this time!!!!

J woke screaming at 1am. Think it was teeth cos today he is sucking his lips. Only a feed settled him. He woke again at 4 for a feed and at 6.30! I dunno what's goin on!! Hoping it settles soon as the sleep deprivation wil be setting in! And that's awful especially with a 2 year old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kvicka

thanks cyning..id hate to wean her, she is still so young and very much a boob maniac :) I guess all we can do is wait and see :)

No he hasn't been checked for tongue tie but the monkey sticks it out quite far when smiling!!! So I think it's o.k. I really don't know why I'm getting it cos everything has settled! I only got a 7 day course and now another 7 day course. Back for follow up Tue so will mention it then. I want it gone this time!!!!

J woke screaming at 1am. Think it was teeth cos today he is sucking his lips. Only a feed settled him. He woke again at 4 for a feed and at 6.30! I dunno what's goin on!! Hoping it settles soon as the sleep deprivation wil be setting in! And that's awful especially with a 2 year old!!

This is the HSE fact sheet for hcp for treatment of mastitis

http://www.breastfeeding.ie/uploads/files/factsheet04.pdf

The antibiotics should be prescribed for a minimum of 10 days and it's important that the correct ones are prescribed.

Perhaps bring the fact sheet with you on Tuesday.

Also I found calgel/dentinox teething gel helped a lot with teething related waking at that age. You can't get it in ROI but you can get it up north if someone is going up or buy it online.

I'm all problems! I have a red patch on my boob and it's quite hot and sore: I'm thinking blocked duct? So is it massaging it and running hot water on it to try clear it? Oh and I have a shiny nipple too.

cyning yes do that and ibuprofen for the inflammation. You've got up to 36 hours to turn it around before you need to go to your gp. Monitor your temperature as well. Shiny breasts is a sign of mastitis but not sure about a shiny nipple.

When my son was 5 days old I got mastitis and I read in a la Leche book that I should feed him every hour during the night. It was exhausting to say the least but the pain was gone the next morning.

Lecithin is supposed to help prevent mastitis and blocked ducts. I took it on my son just in case after a second blocked duct episode and I never had problems again.

Feed and rest and forget everything else for the next few days.

Need to talk to my lc tomorrow too... Supposed to be pumping to try up my supply too... Just aagh! 15 months I fed C no thrush, no blocked ducts no problems with supply (except in my head!). This time my supply isn't great, blocked duct constant pain and she's 10 days old. I think it's because she's so inefficient from the tongue tie.

How Strange your great by the way :D

• Advertisement

Thanks how strange. I don't know how you know these things! I had no problems with my first. Well very little. This Box is different!! Ended up putting him asleep in my Bee and transferring him to bot as he wasn't settling for 2 hours!!!! Maybe tonight wil be different??? Wishful thinking!

Thanks how strange. I don't know how you know these things! I had no problems with my first. Well very little. This Box is different!! Ended up putting him asleep in my Bee and transferring him to bot as he wasn't settling for 2 hours!!!! Maybe tonight wil be different??? Wishful thinking!

Last night was the first of night weaning for us. She got a feed at 11pm and as usual woke 2 hours later. It was very hard trying to calm her down but I eventually got her back into her cot (after being repeatedly heat butted and punched in the chest!)

So she only got one feed last night. We took turns at settling her without taking her out of the cot and after lots of waking she slept until 6.45 this morning. We're both exhausted and I'm off to bed now to try get some sleep before it all starts again.

It's hard listening to her getting upset but I think night weaning may help with her sleep. She's been getting 4-5 feeds a night lately and she's 11 months next week.

She's got a slight temperature this evening so I hope that doesn't put us back at square one.

Hope the next few nights go ok for you how strange and that your daughter gets more settled for you. My friend went through something similar recently and nights are slowly improving for her.

My little boy picked up my virus so he has been a bit miserable the last few days. I think that's why he was so unsettled over the weekend. I feel so sorry for the little mite but a bit relieved that there is some explanation for him not wanting to leave my boob!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Good luck How Strange. Hope it goes well. The night-time comfort nurses are a useful tool at times but so exhausting.

She had a temperature for the last 2 days and nights. She's better today but still very snotty. So I fed her twice both nights because I couldn't wean her when she's sick. That would be cruel.
    Ironically we had two reasonable nights sleep so go figure as the Americans say.

She grabbed her brothers sippy cup of cows milk off me yesterday, downed the lot and was thoroughly delighted with herself so I'm going to give her a cup of milk in the evening when we get home. That way I can gradually cut down on feeds. That's what I did with her brother and it was pretty stress free all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hi All,

I am 39 weeks pregnant on my second child. I breastfed my first son for 7 months (4 1/2 years ago), but I must admit, I did not enjoy it :( it was incredibly hard.

I want to breastfeed again, but this time I want to enjoy it!

The reason why it was so hard with my son is because he was a "snacker", he would only feed for 5-10 min 15-20 times a day. He would wake up 6 to 8 times a night. I know this is pretty normal for the first few weeks of a baby's life, but at 7 months we were still on the exact same pattern! I don't know if I went wrong somewhere or if it's just the way he was. I did encourage him to feed for longer but he would either fall asleep or push away when he was strong enough to do so!

My baby was the perfect/happiest baby otherwise, thriving, no colic, no reflux, never cried when teething! On the other hand, I was broken, was very close to PND I reckon, purely due to the lack of sleep. My body could not go into proper rest mode as my little boy would wake up every hour to hour and a half. After 5 months I could barely sleep between the feeds, my body constantly anticipating the next one. I completely finished breastfeeding at 7 months (after a 3 week battle for him to take a bottle!). He slept through the night a couple of weeks later, but it took me a lot longer to regain a proper sleep pattern (with acupuncture sessions to help my body relax and restore sleep :o).

The exhaustion was unreal, and I feel I did not enjoy my baby the way I should have. So this time I want to enjoy it and enjoy this little baby!

Ideally, I want to try to introduce a bottle a day of EBM early enough to get the baby used to the bottle, so that my husband can take over if I get overly tired or want to leave the baby with daddy and take my son oldest son somewhere .

A few questions :

- How can I "prepare" my nipples for breastfeeding? What cream would you recommend? I had very sore, cracked, bleeding nipples after a few days of breast feeding. But since we had to top up my son with formula for a week when he was a week old (due to jaundice and big weightloss after birth), that gave my nipples a break and when we went back on breastfeeding they were healed.

- How soon can I express and give a bottle? I know it is recommended to wait 6 weeks to establish a supply, but just a couple of oz a day? What about nipple confusion, does it really exist? As I mentioned above, we had to supplement my son with bottles for a week and this did not affect my supply or his suction, was I just lucky?

- Does anyone of you take supplements to boost their supply? I have heard of fennel tea, any opinion on it? On my son I did wonder if my supply was good enough for him, but since he was gaining weight at a good rate, the phn had no concerns.

- Any good website or FB group with practical info you would recommend?

Many thanks for your help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Multimam cream is great. Used it second time around and found it much nicer than Lansinoh.
    I expressed from four weeks both times. Neither of mine had any nipple confusion. I think its put out by La Leche League breastfeeding diehards to put parents off giving a bottle. Don't worry about it. A bottle a day saved my sanity as I also don't really enjoy breastfeeding.
    The best way to boost supply is constant, constant feeding in the early days and weeks. Baby should be getting at least 10-12 feeds a day. It feels like you're a milking machine and that you never get a break. So here's what you need to do. Let everything house related take a back seat, get a cleaner in if needs be and let others drop in meals/take charge of laundry. Use any and all resources available. Take to the bed and feed lying down. One benefit of BF is you still have a hand free, so sit on the couch and watch crap TV/use a tablet to surf the net. It feels endless and constant but by six weeks doing this both times I had a great supply.
    After six weeks I nudged baby into three and then four hour gaps between feeds. I'd take them for a walk, get into the car, visit my parents and let them hold them, playtime on a playmat, that kind of thing. One was a snacker but I corrected this by feeding on both sides for 15 minutes at a time for an hour, and then taking them off the breast, after a day or two the feeding was more efficient.
    Best of luck! I found everything easier second time. Also don't listen to so-called professionals pressuring you into topping up. There's a breastfeeding solution to most problems and I found reading forums like this much more helpful than hospital and public health staff.

+1 to everything lazygal said.

I didn't particularly enjoy breastfeeding the first time around but on my daughter I just went with the flow and stopped trying to control things and I found it much easier all round.

There's no need to prepare your nipples. Cracked or bleeding nipples are a sign that the latch isn't right do getting checked out at the first significant problems.

I think some babies do get nipple confusion but it's best to avoid a bottle in the first 3-4 weeks and concentrate on feeding. Frequent feeding will give you a good supply.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of introducing formula. Just to see if it might help in some way. Don't know what I expect will happen but I'm so extremely tired today. J seems to cry in his sleep with what seems like wind pains. And it wakes him up. I get no sleep. This only seems to happen when lying down in bed or for naps. His cot is titled. Also when having tummy time he always spits up. I'm starting to think there is somethin wrong with his tummy.

Goin to ring health nurse on Monday. I'll give him the weekend before doin anything mad. He formula upsets him then maybe it's milk Sudbury that's the problem though homeopath said no allergies. Oh I don't know. Also have another 7 day's of antibiotic to go for mastitis but I don't see it clearing at all!

Advertisement