Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you define a D4?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    That's a fair enough point but a Lawyer is only an example. there are a raft of other prestige jobs that are in essence everyone has the same shot at and as for not the same oppurtunities as I pointed out earlier I went to school with a bunch of kids who went to Ringsend who had the exact same opportunities as me and ****ed them up. Had a friend who went to that school, then to Marrion which is the same school that most of them went to and went on to get Schols in Trinity. He was from Sandymount no point out the different opportunity he had to the others

But what does that prove ? Nothing. Anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I could give counterexamples and argue the opposite but that would be just as meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Ooohh a class war. How delightfully Marxist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

You know, one of the soundest most decent guys I know is thorough rugby playing D4 guy. But he is the FIRST one to say how lucky he is - in fact I've heard him say so on several occasions. In part thats why he is such a decent guy - he recognises his own good fortune. Not many can do that.

I was just thinking the exact same thing myself. I don't understand why people find it difficult to admit that they are both in need of and are getting assistance. "Yes, my folks help me out. I'm lucky! :D" Easy.

Because how people are expected to believe that a student, working a parttime job could afford to fly over to England with all of his belongings and start a new life as a fulltime student (who also has training regularly, btw!) without having someone giving him hand outs here and there is beyond me.

If I'd had those opportunities I'd probably be shouting it from the rooftops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Opinion guy, nobody was talking about eugenics. I don't think you understand what the term means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You know, one of the soundest most decent guys I know is thorough rugby playing D4 guy. But he is the FIRST one to say how lucky he is - in fact I've heard him say so on several occasions. In part thats why he is such a decent guy - he recognises his own good fortune. Not many can do that.

There's a difference between recognizing your good fortune and putting everything you have done in life down to where you are born. It's an easy excuse for those who aren't as lucky. In my experience, the cream from those areas rise to the top and tend to do extremely well as well as being really bang on people. I've seen enough of those not to buy into situational reasoning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I was just thinking the exact same thing myself. I don't understand why people find it difficult to admit that they are both in need of and are getting assistance. "Yes, my folks help me out. I'm lucky! :D" Easy.

Because how people are expected to believe that a student, working a parttime job could afford to fly over to England with all of his belongings and start a new life as a fulltime student (who also has training regularly, btw!) without having someone giving him hand outs here and there is beyond me.

If I'd had those opportunities I'd probably be shouting it from the rooftops.

What opportunities? I grew up in Ballyfermot and came from a very modest family you seem to think I was a well off! Its quite easy to afford to fly over to England when you have been working all year. It is also quite easy to live over there when you are working part time and getting a supplement from a rugby club. Every "hand out" i.e the measly token weekly wage I got from the rugby club I had to work for. I had training at 7-8am, in college for 10am finish lectures at 3pm, training at 4pm till 7pm then worked at a nightclub from 9pm till 3am some nights of the week. It was damn ****ing hard so dont even try say I didnt work for anything I got my parents couldnt afford to give me any hand outs after having my brother. You dont know anything about me. Now I am really done with this thread.

Co45 wrote: »
    What opportunities? I grew up in Ballyfermot and came from a very modest family you seem to think I was a well off! Its quite easy to afford to fly over to England when you have been working all year. It is also quite easy to live over there when you are working part time and getting a supplement from a rugby club.

Ah so you received help from a rugby club, not your parents. Okay! TL;DR after that. But I'm sort of confused... If you're from a "modest" family in Ballyfermot why are you taking offense to what people are saying about stereotypical individuals from the D4 area?

Were you just in the mood for an argument then got browned off when you were given one? Hehe argument fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

No oops, it's true! They can sing and dance and throw all the temper tantrums they want trying to tell me that they've "worked hard" for their education. They have in their swiss rolls, they've studied the same amount as everyone else has but they feel the need to remind us of how epically awesome they are at any given opportunity.

Some feel the need to, some don't. Vulgarity too, transcends all "classes".

old hippy wrote: »
    Some feel the need to, some don't. Vulgarity too, transcends all "classes".

As does cocaine usage, but that's kind of off-topic, isn't it? Actually this whole discussion is probably off-topic. Apologies to the OP! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How do you define a D4?

It is a pyramid shaped dice which can be used as a 1 -3 or a 1-4 depending on it's markings.
    http://www.alternative-armies.com/images/59012.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

As does cocaine usage, but that's kind of off-topic, isn't it? Actually this whole discussion is probably off-topic. Apologies to the OP! :D

Just feel there's a bit of generalisation going on - towards perceived D4 types and shelf stackers alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

Ah so you received help from a rugby club, not your parents. Okay! TL;DR after that. But I'm sort of confused... If you're from a "modest" family in Ballyfermot why are you taking offense to what people are saying about stereotypical individuals from the D4 area?

Were you just in the mood for an argument then got browned off when you were given one? Hehe argument fail.

I just think your opinions are extremely ignorant, twisted in bitterness and stupid. And I didn't receive "help" from the rugby club no more than anyone who has a job receives "help" from their employer. I was paid to play rugby but as I was a junior player at the time the money was absolutely nothing.
    I'm going to assume your young to be honest so I'll give the benefit of the doubt as to why you hold such ridiculous views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I find it amusing that the snobbiest opinions on show are from those who are accusing the 'D4' types of being lazy, lucky snobs.

Co45 wrote: »
    I just think your opinions are extremely ignorant, twisted in bitterness and stupid. And I didn't receive "help" from the rugby club no more than anyone who has a job receives "help" from their employer. I was paid to play rugby but as I was a junior player at the time the money was absolutely nothing.
    I'm going to assume your young to be honest so I'll give the benefit of the doubt as to why you hold such ridiculous views.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. Doesn't make me a twisted or bitter person... Really, that's a bit over the top don't you think? Drama queen much?

I don't want the benefit of your doubt to be honest, because this is an internets argument and in the grand scheme of things doesn't really mean all that much! It was entertaining in the beginning and now you're just getting overly defensive so I'm just going to leave it with the old favourite "let's agree to disagree!" You're right, I know feck all about you, just like you know feck all about me. But discussions like this have a tendency to get out of hand and personal remarks are made and exchanged in the heat (and fun!) of the argument. It's not worth having a coronary over, so with that said have a lovely, hopefully anger-free evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I've always wondered what features must a person have to be considered a D4. Is it some person who pretends to be rich and snobby and wears brand clothes for the sake of it? Or is it the actual rich people? I'm interested to see your opinions.

D4's? Once in a while when I am in the area, or on a 46A, and hear them and see them...Jesus!! My head does be wrecked loike, you knowe loike.. Daddy spoiled them rotten, have a much nicer life than the rest of us because of Daddy. They would need to spend a week on a bog that would sort them out.....they would be running home crying to Daddy then!!! :P

Before I get a load of comments back about "The bog" what I mean is a week working with turf, on a peat bog!

Dublin 4 is one of the nicest places to live in this country. No arguing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Why? I'm not trying to troll or pick on D4s but that opinion is entirely subjective and not easily proved.

Millicent wrote: »
    Why? I'm not trying to troll or pick on D4s but that opinion is entirely subjective and not easily proved.
    Jesus wept.

No I can prove it with some differential equations and back it up with links.

Jesus wept.

No I can prove it with some differential equations and back it up with links.

Ah Jesus, don't cry. I was only pointing out to someone on the 'net that the statement
    is entirely opinion based and indeed arguable with. No need for histrionics Lord.

Millicent wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, don't cry. I was only pointing out to someone on the 'net that the statement is entirely opinion based and indeed arguable with. No need for histrionics Lord.

It is of course an opinion like pretty much everything said on this site. But it is one that you can't argue with as it is true.

• Advertisement

It is of course an opinion like pretty much everything said on this site. But it is one that you can't argue with as it is true.

Yeah, that makes it not an opinion. That makes it a fact. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

nicegirl wrote: »
    D4's? Once in a while when I am in the area, or on a 46A, and hear them and see them...Jesus!! My head does be wrecked loike, you knowe loike.. Daddy spoiled them rotten, have a much nicer life than the rest of us because of Daddy. They would need to spend a week on a bog that would sort them out.....they would be running home crying to Daddy then!!! :P

Before I get a load of comments back about "The bog" what I mean is a week working with turf, on a peat bog!

Oh Yea!..bring em on!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Another day, another D4 thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

d4 is a top location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah - Ringsend is f*cking beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,855 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yeah - Ringsend is f*cking beautiful.

its d4 Jim, but not as we know it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

D4 is a lovely area loike, but I wuldn't waaant to be taalking loike this aall the time loike, I think I'll gooe to Kielys and have a pint of heino and a coike aafterwaards loike, maaybe see if there is any roogby on...:p Do you knowe what i mean loike?!

D4 is a lovely area loike, but I wuldn't waaant to be taalking loike this aall the time loike, I think I'll gooe to Kielys and have a pint of heino and a coike aafterwaards loike, maaybe see if there is any roogby on...:p Do you knowe what i mean loike?!

Did you get that from the boggers guide to lazy d4 stereotypes?

Did you get that from the boggers guide to lazy d4 stereotypes?

Noo i didn't, its just the way the taaalk loike :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Whats the craic with that? my head "does be wrecked" when people talk like that. My nephew is 7 and says 'Hostible' for Hospital and says 'I done me/y homework'.

I don't care about his accent but the words are wrong! The words are wrong:mad:

Does that happen in D4?

Advertisement