Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you define a D4?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Pace2008 wrote: »
    What's all this talk of 'real' things about? Have you been getting stuck into some existential philosophy recently?

Yeah, otherwise known as the Supervalu shopping experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I was wondering as I have been called a D4. I admit I do go to a private school and yes I do intend to go to UCD (not to do an arts degree) but I don't wear fake tan, I do like rugby but I actuallly do understand the game, I don't spend an hour trying to mess up my hair!
    ^^ Well I do live in D4

Hmmm, lets weigh up the evidence:
    1. You live in D4.
    2. You go to private school.
    3. You intend going to UCD.
    4. Apparently you have trouble grasping the obvious :P :P

Face it dear - you are a D4 head :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was wondering as I have been called a D4. I admit I do go to a private school and yes I do intend to go to UCD (not to do an arts degree) but I don't wear fake tan, I do like rugby but I actuallly do understand the game, I don't spend an hour trying to mess up my hair!

Male or female? I mean, I know the name is Bella, but I´d like to make sure.

If female, sorry - but being a girl form D4 and understanding the rules of rugby... there is no hope (although it IS a turn on*!)

If male, UCD and NOT doing arts...? D4 head!!!! (Doing arts would at least make you look liberal!)

*in legal-age women, of course.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

My D4 Checklist:

South Dublin (check)
    Private School (check)
    Rugby (miss)
    UCD (miss)
    Dubes (miss)
    Daddy owns people (miss)

I guess I'm an "eye-witness" to it all, when they're all brought to justice I'll be called to testify

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

D4 heads are fine once they dont open there mouth:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Does this make you a proud D4 head Bubs?

Well my Location sure as **** doesn't mean the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

guys why are you being hard on us

Location=blackrock
    Rich=yes
    Private school=yes
    trinity/UCD=maybe
    Rugby=yes
    Hobbies= beating scumbags in dun laoghaire on a Monday evening....and taking the piss out of beggers by making them dance for 2euro

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a stereotypical view of a certain class

• Advertisement

TBH, I can't understand the hate that the lad stereotype of D4 gets because going to a private school and college and wearing dubes is much much better than going to a **** school and working in Centra and tucking your tracksuit bottoms into your socks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Most people who fit the stereotype of D4's aren't even from there. The most pompous "ye I'm posh roysh mon" types I've come across seem to be from areas like Foxrock / Cabinteely. Most people I've come across from actual D4 (Sandymount) seem to be bang on and aren't actually that "roysh" type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

From Wikipedia...
    In Ireland, the term D4 is used to refer to a similar stereotype applied to young people, especially those from the southern suburbs of Dublin. This usage of the term originates from the postcode of Dublin 4 which includes affluent upper-class areas such as Donnybrook, Ballsbridge and Sandymount. However, the term is used more generally for people from almost any upper middle class suburb. Many of these 'D4's are associated with shopping in Dundrum Town Centre, the upmarket shopping centre adjacent to Dundrum village.

Many wear American "preppy" clothing brands such as Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister, American Eagle and Aeropostale.

Girls are stereotyped as having peroxide blonde hair that is typically back-combed, wearing Ugg boots and using fake tan excessively while boys are often seen with bleached "surfer" style hair, wearing Abercrombie hoodies, Canterbury tracksuit bottoms and polo or rugby shirts. 'D4' boys often straighten or style their hair. Rugby has long been associated with the male 'D4' culture, while many 'D4' girls play hockey.

Generally 'D4's attend well-known south Dublin private schools. Many go on to study at University College Dublin and Trinity College Dublin. There is often social resentment between the 'D4' culture, and those from a middle or working class background. This is often portrayed in the fictional diary-typed Ross O'Carroll Kelly novels (the protagonist being an exaggerated stereotype of the 'D4' culture).

These books are written phonetically in the 'D4' accent, and use words such as 'roysh' (right) and 'loike' (like) excessively. This style of speech, similar to Valspeak, is the stereotypical D4 accent.

Famous people often considered to be 'D4's' include fictional character Ross O'Carroll Kelly, presenter Ryan Tubridy and international rugby player Brian O'Driscoll.

Noopti wrote: »
    Anyone who lives within the Dublin postal district of "Dublin 4" I would imagine.

So Ringsend and Irishtown count?

People like you have ruined the country, their is to classes in life the poor and the rich end of man.. 950,000 for a house in the rock ....the higher the price the better keeps the working class and the scumbags out

Bubs101 wrote: »
    TBH, I can't understand the hate that the lad stereotype of D4 gets because going to a private school and college and wearing dubes is much much better than going to a **** school and working in Centra and tucking your tracksuit bottoms into your socks

Not sure if this is against the rules or not but......how the hell did you become a Mod? Thought Mods were supposed to represent the forums well, you just come across as some posh stuck-up twat.

Ye I know, banned, bye.

RMD wrote: »
    Not sure if this is against the rules or not but......how the hell did you become a Mod? Thought Mods were supposed to represent the forums well, you just come across as some posh stuck-up twat.

Ye I know, banned, bye.

bye bye....back to the northside

Ye I know, banned, bye.

Sure I wouldn't want to see you banned for that but it's part of the problem. I have a good few friends outside of the D4 bubble. It is apparently completely OK for them to slag the **** out of us from being from D4. But if we slag them over stereotypes from their area (or hood) it's us being posh stuck up twats. I have absolutely no problem if they could take it but they can't.

If I started a thread saying something like how do you define a scumbag anyone who started posting stuff like parents are on the dole, they don't have a leaving cert, they wear Celtic jerseys, have a kid but don't know about it etc. I'd be gone.

Karsini wrote: »
    So Ringsend and Irishtown count?

Nope - unless you call the Dart, the Dort, yr out of the loop.

Sure I wouldn't want to see you banned for that but it's part of the problem. I have a good few friends outside of the D4 bubble. It is apparently completely OK for them to slag the **** out of us from being from D4. But if we slag them over stereotypes from their area (or hood) it's us being posh stuck up twats. I have absolutely no problem if they could take it but they can't.

If I started a thread saying something like how do you define a scumbag anyone who started posting stuff like parents are on the dole, they don't have a leaving cert, they wear Celtic jerseys, have a kid but don't know about it etc. I'd be gone.

It's not that, I'm from the Northside, I couldn't give a **** at all about people throwing around "poor" jokes if I give you some "posh" jokes as it's all good fun.

But it's when the elitist attitude is being displayed like D.R.Cowboy (If you're so elite to the common Northsider how come I hold a better level of English than you you ignorant gob****e) that makes people call you posh. It's not envy, it's not being able to take it, it just makes you look like some elitist twat and it doesn't piss us off, it just generally makes us laugh at you as more than often most people are making a fool of themselves when they say it. Things like saying "hood" instead of "your area".

Good one D.R, care to come up with something more witty next time? You've accomplished nothing other than inherit Daddy's money, technically speaking if you're still at a school / college going age finanically we've achieved the same in life as I doubt you've spent much of your life earning your own money eh? Sponging off daddy ye?

• Advertisement

I have a good few friends outside of the D4 bubble.

Some of my friends live in, loike, the slums, but I don't, loike, hold prejudices against them because they were bourne in, loike, Rathgar. Poor people are, loike, people too.

It's not that, I'm from the Northside, I couldn't give a **** at all about people throwing around "poor" jokes if I give you some "posh" jokes as it's all good fun.

But it's when the elitist attitude is being displayed like D.R.Cowboy (If you're so elite to the common Northsider how come I hold a better level of English than you you ignorant gob****e) that makes people call you posh. It's not envy, it's not being able to take it, it just makes you look like some elitist twat and it doesn't piss us off, it just generally makes us laugh at you as more than often most people are making a fool of themselves when they say it. Things like saying "hood" instead of "your area".

Good one D.R, care to come up with something more witty next time? You've accomplished nothing other than inherit Daddy's money, technically speaking if you're still at a school / college going age finanically we've achieved the same in life as I doubt you've spent much of your life earning your own money eh? Sponging off daddy ye?

Typical Northsider all mouth.. Yea I'm fortunate to have been granted great parents which might have an elitist life but don't be jealous of that, yes I'm in school but I still have to go to college so I can have my degree even if I choose to work for my father who is a barrister and had to work hard for everything he has, then some "scobie" on boards calls him a wanker.

My English is much better than yours man...at least I can speak properly with out saying... "bub" "story"....howiya....very classy english may one say

You are a joke and so is your culture and your life

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Typical Northsider all mouth. Yes, I'm fortunate to have been granted great parents who might live an elitist life but don't be jealous of that. Yes, I'm in school but I still have to go to college so I can qualify for my degree. Even if I choose to work for my father, who is a barrister and has had to work hard for everything he has, then some "scobie" on boards calls him a wanker. (The last part of the sentence needs to be re-written)

My English is much better than yours man
    .(One might beg to differ). At least I can speak properly with out saying, "bub", "story","howiya". very classy english may one say (One might say that it is not good English)

You are a joke and so is your culture and your life. (Please do not leave out full stops.)

FYP

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Typical Northsider all mouth.. Yea I'm fortunate to have been granted great parents which might have an elitist life but don't be jealous of that, yes I'm in school but I still have to go to college so I can have my degree even if I choose to work for my father who is a barrister and had to work hard for everything he has, then some "scobie" on boards calls him a wanker.

My English is much better than yours man...at least I can speak properly with out saying... "bub" "story"....howiya....very classy english may one say

You are a joke and so is your culture and your life

Right. All you've done is stereotype, well done. I'm in school also, private school like yourself. Like yourself, my dad is also a Barrister and I'm going to be following him into Law. If you knew anything you'd know you can't work for your dad if he's a Barrister as it's a self-employed position and each person is independent Ie they can't hire people to work for them other than personal assistants / legal secretaries.

My dad also had to work for everything he has, had to work his ****ing ass off to get what he had considering the ****hole of a school he went to. See, I'm everything you are as well, but without the elitist attitude. I go to a private school, I'm going to go to a good university, I live in a nice middle class area, my house costs roughly around the 1 million euro mark even with recent prices, I play rugby etc. I'm everything the average D4 seems to be labelled as, but the main difference is I don't stroll around on some mighty high horse thinking I'm the ****s and far superior to everyone else who comes from a less fortunate background.

And that, that is why many people hate the attitude of D4's. You're shams, you're all fake trying to give off this image that you come from a family of insane wealth, that you're far superior to everyone else and you look down on every person who earns less than Daddy does. You're no different from me D.R, the only difference is I don't have that bull**** elitist attitude you have, you're the exact definition of a D4, you're quite average Upper Middle class, yet try to give the impression you're totally superior.

I think the problem is that no matter what side of the city you hail from, which ever camp you think you fall into, if you buy into all this **** then your something worse than a "scobie" or a "D4". You just a gimp with no independent view of the world and can't hell but segregate and pigeon-hole people.

Tribalism is for people of weak constitution. As soon as you tie yourself to one or another group, or asign one to another person - thats the day you become a charlatan.

People just live the lives they have. Unless they step on your toes, why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

One day a light hearted AH thread will remain that way.

And on that day Jesus will come riding in on a flying pig, freezing hell over and uniting all nations and cultures in a global rendition of koombaya.

I feel a Battle Royale brewing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Good movie.

Good movie.

When's it starting - I'll just get the popcorn & my Ugg Slippers.

• Advertisement

There was a second one but never got to see it...

*hmm, how does this torrent thing wrk again?*

Advertisement