Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Ogham wrote: »
    Gap say they charge correct vat and duty at checkout.
    https://www.gap.eu/gap-purchasing-ordering/gap-cs-limitsandtaxes.html
    You need to get back on to them , the customs label might have been filled in wrong.
    Check your invoice .

Same thing with curries recently... they are vat registered in Ireland but people were being charged vat. Definitely do not pay it. Pure incompetence going on here, everyone had a year to prepare for brexit and still couldn't do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

spix wrote: »
    Check the order tracking, did it originate from UK?

Yeah looks like it did come from UK. Hermes is the courier (absolutely hate them after issues last year with lost christmas present for daughter).

Thanks guys yeah I have tried contacting them this morning along with DPD so will see what happens. Thanks for the help.

So just got word back from GAP and they said its an issue that some carriers are charging that is now resolved for orders going forward. They did not offer reimbursement of the charges but offered €20 discount voucher which I suppose is better than nothing or to refuse the payment for full refund. Question is now whether to refuse to pay or accept the discount code.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommyboy87

Received an email from an post regarding customs charges.

Customs Value: € 106.11

Import Duty: € 17.32
    Excise Duty: € 0.00
    VAT: € 38.15
    An Post Fee: € 3.50

Total to be Paid: € 58.97

Can anyone confirm if this is correct for the Import Duty and VAT?

As the value is under €150, I didn't think I had to pay Import Duty and the VAT is calculated at more than 21%.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tommyboy87 wrote: »

As the value is under €150, I didn't think I had to pay Import Duty and the VAT is calculated at more than 21%.

Thanks

Is it alcohol or tobacco? If I'm not mistaken they are liable for duty regardless of value.

Is it alcohol or tobacco? If I'm not mistaken they are liable regardless of value.

Clearly not as then it would be under excise duty. Just more incompetence. Do the people doing these calculations have any training at all.

The VAT calcuation is way off as well.
    21% of 106.11 + 38.15 = 25.92 not 38.51

Looks like you were charged 31% VAT, guess someone pressed 3 instead of 2 doing the calculation.

Is it alcohol or tobacco? If I'm not mistaken they are liable for duty regardless of value.

No, it is clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Admin Charges if You Have to Pay VAT or Duty on Delivery.
    An Post says they charge 1% of the value of the parcel, with a maximum charge of €10. (Used to be minimum of €10 but was altered on Jan 11th). But – it looks like they are charging a flat €3.50 per package.

FEDEX – Charge 2.5% of the Taxes and Duties . Min €15.

DHL Express – Charge 2.5% of the Taxes and Duties . Min €14.50.

Some info

No, it is clothes.

100% do not pay, email eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie

That calculation is a complete joke, I thought mine was bad.
    Whoever done that needs to find a new job. Charging duty under 150 euro and charging 31% vat instead of 21%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thanks

does the 106.11 include the shipping cost?

On mine, the value given there includes shipping costs. Its the total customs value that the calculations are based on. Even if it wasn't, shipping would need to be a ridiculously high number to put it over duty threshold.

Yes, the shipping costs are included in the €106.11

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks

Clothing may have other duties applicable to them, depending on the country of manufacture. There is a range of duties on products such as clothing, tyres etc. The VAT calculation is wrong. You need to pay it and then query it with customs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Important: it looks like the Minimum collection of €6 is gone. When Value including Fright and insurance is under €22, VAT isn't collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Does anyone know what the deal with receiving items from family in the uk?

My sister has a few skincare bits she is hoping to send me over as who knows when it'll be safe for her to come visit as she also vunerable.

Just wondering how they will check and assign value to the items? The full value if they were to lookup the items on the brands websites would be over €150, however between black friday deals etc she spent no where near that amount.

foxy_j wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the deal with receiving items form family in the uk?

My sister has a few skincare bits she is hoping to send me over as who knows when it'll be safe for her to come visit as she also vuberable.

Just wondering how they will check and assign value to the items?

Check the very first page of this thread, Look for "gift"

tedpan wrote: »
    Just got the dreaded email from revenue/customs last night.

I purchased some shoes at Christmas for £130, but with the current crisis, the package got delayed. Anyway, see the charges below.

They valued the shoes at €193.92
    Import duty €23.27
    VAT €45.69
    An Post Fee €3.50

It will be a long time until I buy from the UK again! I've sent them a mail with the receipt, so maybe they will update the charges based on that. I'll let you know if I get a response, otherwise I'll be paying the the fees tomorrow.

Do let us know as I was wondering the same if they calculate the value based on the full value when the item is researched rather than what you paid. Hopefully they will adjust this for you. A lot of companies don't include paper receipts/invoices anymore so this makes it harder.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Check the very first page of this thread, Look for "gift"

Thanks a mil :) I found this thread on the last few pages. Do you know though if you assign €45 value to an item that did only cost that amount or less however say you got it on sale but the full value when researched online is over that will they charge vat then I wonder if they check it?

Thanks

Nobody knows what way customs would evaluate it. Apart from customs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Got a package from Amazon this morning seems it was shipped from a mail center in laois didn’t even know amazon had those here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Clothing may have other duties applicable to them, depending on the country of manufacture. There is a range of duties on products such as clothing, tyres etc. The VAT calculation is wrong. You need to pay it and then query it with customs.

But there is no duty on orders under €150 - so someone has got it completely wrong at customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Got a package from Amazon this morning seems it was shipped from a mail center in laois didn’t even know amazon had those here

That's normal. Amazon UK deliver all parcels bound for Ireland to the export point themselves, and then use An Post for the service here.

The return address is a PO box in An Posts central mail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm about to buy a product for £72.94 ( £64.99 + Shipping £7.95 Total).

Would I be right in saying if id end up paying £89.72~ for the total order?

GBX wrote: »
    I'm about to buy a product for £72.94 ( £64.99 + Shipping £7.95 Total).

Would I be right in saying if id end up paying £89.72~ for the total order?

It would be wise to assume that customs will overvalue your parcel and you'll end up being asked to pay closer to 100. If it is the difference between ordering and not ordering, eg you could find it cheaper somewhere else, or don't want to have to try hunt down a refund on wrong charges, then buy it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks Spix - yeah I will factor in higher value. It is something I am buying direct from a UK vendor/manufacturer so its not to be found cheaper anywhere else.

spix wrote: »
    It would be wise to assume that customs will overvalue your parcel and you'll end up being asked to pay closer to 100. If it is the difference between ordering and not ordering, eg you could find it cheaper somewhere else, or don't want to have to try hunt down a refund on wrong charges, then buy it somewhere else.

If all exporters included paperwork in the box it would help. It becomes a lottery if the clearance agent has to go trawl through google and try to find information. If an invoice is included Revenue would not usually have a problem operating off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pitythefools

I am looking to by a laptop that seems to only be available in the UK.
    It can't be bought here and the european sites only have qwertz or awerty keyboard layouts. Am I correct in saying that there should be no import dutys on computers from the UK and the Amazon Uk price including import fee deposit (Irish VAT) should be the final price? Can't seem to find much information on laptops.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I am looking to by a laptop that seems to only be available in the UK.
    It can't be bought here and the european sites only have qwertz or awerty keyboard layouts. Am I correct in saying that there should be no import dutys on computers from the UK and the Amazon Uk price including import fee deposit (Irish VAT) should be the final price? Can't seem to find much information on laptops.
    Thanks

if you are buying from amazon the price you pay to amazon should be it.

• Advertisement

If all exporters included paperwork in the box it would help. It becomes a lottery if the clearance agent has to go trawl through google and try to find information. If an invoice is included Revenue would not usually have a problem operating off it.

My parcel has an invoice. Contains 3 items and only 1 was valued correctly. 1 was close but some digits were mixed around. The 3rd item was a completely different number, I think they can change the value at will regardless of invoice if the person doing the calculation thinks it should be higher. There also seems to be a good chance of error with how they are entering numbers and doing vat calculations. Most people wont be coming onto this thread, I can only imagine how many others are unknowingly paying wrong fees because they assumed the calculation given must be correct. I think they must be struggling with the volume and rushing through too fast, whilst also under pressure to not let something go through undervalued, resulting in overvaluing happening more often than it should, and calculation errors.

Advertisement