Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Throw in another 20 odd for the actual duty maybe?

Shouldn't be any unless the origin is unclear. 10% duty rate would do it.

whiterebel wrote: »

Yeah, I'm just figuring 20 for duty, 60 vat and clearance fee of 16 give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Most clothing is 12% duty if not made in UK/EU - so about €25 .

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭manlad

€210 + Freight? (Say €40) @ 21% VAT = 52.50 + Clearance €15/18. Something wrong there.

I believe the duty on clothes 15% according to the DHL person I spoke with. I've asked for a breakdown but they just sent another copy of the invoice.

I've asked them to return goods to sender so will try get a refund from the source. Painful to say the least. I need to read the newspaper in more detail- https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/brexit-could-see-40-price-hikes-for-online-purchases-1.4431787

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

manlad wrote: »
    Got an invoice today from DHL for duty I need to pay on a coat I bought in the UK. Duty is €97.50 on a jacket which cost €210 euro.

Lesson firmly learned. I thought a trade agreement would mean avoiding this crap, obviously not. Will make sure to stick to EU sites into the future.

What website did you buy from so we can avoid them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭manlad

theguzman wrote: »
    What website did you buy from so we can avoid them?

It was actually on the John Lewis website but they didn't have the size so I went directly to the supplier website who are based in London- not well known but supply lots of big retailers.- https://www.guardslondon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭corkie

manlad wrote: »
    It was actually on the John Lewis website but they didn't have the size so I went directly to the supplier website who are based in London- not well known but supply lots of big retailers.- https://www.guardslondon.com/

John Lewis is registered in Ireland for VAT but the supplier probably is not.

"Under the EU VAT Distance Selling Regulations, VAT must be charged for deliveries within the EU at the appropriate rate for the country of destination. The country of taxation will be indicated in the order confirmation email you receive for your order. The applicable VAT numbers for John Lewis International Limited are: ..... Ireland IE 3406690UH ....."

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/delivery-information/international-delivery-terms-and-conditions

^^^ They still think there in the EU, so site info needs updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Was looking at ordering some pyjamas for the baby from the UK. UK is zero rated for children's clothes and so is Ireland. The cost will be more than €22.

Would these just be delivered without An Post trying to charge €10? Do they only charge that if there is somrthing owed?

This is assuming the customs declaration is completed correctly identifying the contents as children's clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Wheety wrote: »

Was looking at ordering some pyjamas for the baby from the UK. UK is zero rated for children's clothes and so is Ireland. The cost will be more than €22.

Would these just be delivered without An Post trying to charge €10? Do they only charge that if there is somrthing owed?

This is assuming the customs declaration is completed correctly identifying the contents as children's clothes.
    If the total (including shipping) is less than €28.50 (while vat is at 21%) then nothing to collect as anything below €6 is considered negligible.

After that, then maybe, yes. I haven't yet heard of anyone getting charged by an post for handling from UK since Brexit, but it is possible.

Depends where you buy them from.
    If from Amazon , they will charge Irish vat and you will have nothing to pay on delivery.

• Advertisement

It's not from Amazon but children's clothes are zero rated here and in the UK. I'm probably just over thinking it.

The items should come through no issues and with nothing owed. I guess it will just take a while to have confidence in the systems.

corkie wrote: »
    John Lewis is registered in Ireland for VAT but the supplier probably is not.

"Under the EU VAT Distance Selling Regulations, VAT must be charged for deliveries within the EU at the appropriate rate for the country of destination. The country of taxation will be indicated in the order confirmation email you receive for your order. The applicable VAT numbers for John Lewis International Limited are: ..... Ireland IE 3406690UH ....."

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/delivery-information/international-delivery-terms-and-conditions

^^^ They still think there in the EU, so site info needs updating.

That's not the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's not from Amazon but children's clothes are zero rated here and in the UK. I'm probably just over thinking it.

The items should come through no issues and with nothing owed. I guess it will just take a while to have confidence in the systems.

There should be no charge, there is no question that baby clothes are childrens clothes. Revenue have definition of sizes, I remember hearing of smaller people being able to save money buying childrens clothes before.

Amazon have applied VAT wrongly in the past though, like people got charged VAT on some foods.

Some things like adult cycling helmets are zero in the UK and 21% here so I guess some will think thats a mistake, even though it would have been that way before.

The only instance would be if you paid say €30 for fast delivery from some place, then it would seem you might be liable even if the items are zero rated but I am not sure, I don't recall ever hearing of somebody stung just for postage. It is possible it happened as a common ebay trick was to list things at low cost with massive shipping costs so they appear first on the list and to avoid some ebay fees.

They say there will be no limits in July but I imagine there has to be some limit, like if some company sends me a letter with a promotional pen or keyring are they really going to try and get a tenner? and the VAT on a pen they might value as a euro? The current amazon trick will go alright, but I am wondering about if I was to buy really cheap tat from dealextreme, like a usb reader that cost $1.49 including shipping.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Very worrying how many UK websites (and not just small ones) saying things are as normal with no additional fees or charges.

That's all well and good for smaller purchases (under €150) from a duties point of view but am I right in thinking that unless they deduct IE VAT (which a lot clearly are not set up to do), that we as consumers will get stung on the doorstep?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Did what I thought was the right thing and ordered a camera lens from amazon.de rather than the UK site, paid VAT so thought all was good. Turns out it was shipped from Hong Kong, the seller didn't communicate to DHL that VAT was paid, put a nominal value of $50 on the package. Assessed for €23.99 VAT plus handling charge which needs to be paid before they will deliver. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Zzippy wrote: »
    Did what I thought was the right thing and ordered a camera lens from amazon.de rather than the UK site, paid VAT so thought all was good. Turns out it was shipped from Hong Kong, the seller didn't communicate to DHL that VAT was paid, put a nominal value of $50 on the package. Assessed for €23.99 VAT plus handling charge which needs to be paid before they will deliver. FFS.
    The Chinese sellers are also on UK and have been for a while. You purchased the item from amazon Germany in the EU.
    You are not due any further charges.

It should be a simple case of telling DHL it was purchased on amazon (any EU).
    Even though DHL are fairly disagreeable, they should still acknowledge that fairly quick, as will amazon, and Amazon.de have English support.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/help/contact-us/english-speaking-customer.html
    Even their normal chat uses English - you may have to ask "sprichst du Englisch" :)

Very worrying how many UK websites (and not just small ones) saying things are as normal with no additional fees or charges.

That's all well and good for smaller purchases (under €150) from a duties point of view but am I right in thinking that unless they deduct IE VAT (which a lot clearly are not set up to do), that we as consumers will get stung on the doorstep?

It's possible they are supplying EU orders from EU stock. As I understand it - that avoids the import VAT or duty.

In fact - it makes me wonder if some large purchases on Amazon UK should not be liable for import duty if they come from an EU warehouse ??
    Maybe that's happening ? I don't know - but haven't seen it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ogham wrote: »
    It's possible they are supplying EU orders from EU stock. As I understand it - that avoids the import VAT or duty.

In fact - it makes me wonder if some large purchases on Amazon UK should not be liable for import duty if they come from an EU warehouse ??
    Maybe that's happening ? I don't know - but haven't seen it.

There's a good few saying 'duties and customs charges are on us'.....which is fine if you are under the threshold. No use for the VAT element though.

This place is actually offering a refund of duties of charged, again no mention if that includes VAT.

https://www.thewhitecompany.com/row/help/brexit-information

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

136352635-10160298861454688-1286571840915467879-n.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    There should be no charge, there is no question that baby clothes are childrens clothes. Revenue have definition of sizes, I remember hearing of smaller people being able to save money buying childrens clothes before.

Yeah, I think I was just worried about An Post opening up things they weren't sure about and trying to charge an admin fee. It wasn't Amazon I ordered from in the end. I've actually gone back and ordered more from the same website so an order for around €15 and €30. They would have been posting outside the EU before Brexit so I hope they know how to fill out the customs declaration correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm looking at buying something from the uk - belfast - 100 euro

Theres no issue with vat from the North is there?
    That is I won't be charged vat on top and they don't need a declaration form on the package?

https://gasproducts.co.uk/?currency=EUR

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying something from the uk - belfast - 100 euro

Theres no issue with vat from the North is there?
    That is I won't be charged vat on top and they don't need a declaration form on the package?

https://gasproducts.co.uk/?currency=EUR

Point 4 https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146415

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is the an post clearance fee 3.50 or 10€? Seen conflicting stuff even on the an post site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as most cant bother to go trough 20 pages of conflicting info, just looking for simple response say u order from someone in uk, value 20-30 quid or so, what happens in uk, does person need to stick some sticker with value not talking business, just individual. also once it lands here does parcel gets put aside for vat etc, or you either get it delivered or get a letter for whatever customs fees are due :confused: as have family that send baby stuff clothes etc over, so no clue whats what after new years as an post seems to be 1-2 weeks in regards to delivery times within ireland atm, so no clue how uk side or here works in simple terms where say item could be worth 25e or so depending whos putting value on it, just by regular post not dpd,Ap or whoever, as info seems very conflicting between threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

scamalert wrote: »
    as most cant bother to go trough 20 pages of conflicting info, just looking for simple response say u order from someone in uk, value 20-30 quid or so, what happens in uk, does person need to stick some sticker with value not talking business, just individual. also once it lands here does parcel gets put aside for vat etc, or you either get it delivered or get a letter for whatever customs fees are due :confused: as have family that send baby stuff clothes etc over, so no clue whats what after new years as an post seems to be 1-2 weeks in regards to delivery times within ireland atm, so no clue how uk side or here works in simple terms where say item could be worth 25e or so depending whos putting value on it, just by regular post not dpd,Ap or whoever, as info seems very conflicting between threads.

As with other non-EU Third Countries you'll need to attach the sticker (usually a CN22 customs declaration) giving a description of contents and value. The exemption threshold for import VAT at 21% currently - and the associated €10 An Post Admin fee - is €22 including shipping cost on most non-excise items (ie. no fags, perfume, booze allowed). The threshold is being abolished EU-Wide on July 1. The separate import duties threshold is €150 (£135).

Total import VAT for a consignment if under €6 is considered negligible and not collected - so the effective threshold @ 21% rate until end of Feb is €28.57 reverting to €26.08 when the 23% rate returns. Consignment value including postage & insurance in excess of the threshold pays 21/23% on the entire value including now VAT on the An Post €10 handling. If intercepted customs will write seeking proof of value and will levy a charge which a postman/courier will collect (exact amount no change) in exchange for the package.

The good news is that children's clothing and footwear deemed suitable for 11 and under is zero-VAT rated in both here and UK, so no import VAT.

(The likely bad news is that for items shipped here from the UK which do not originate there (ie. made in EU or China etc.) then tariffs will be applied, the finished garment rate is currently 12%. )

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Quick search on eBay.ie shows that filtering search results to EU only still includes United Kingdom!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

styron wrote: »
    As with other non-EU Third Countries you'll need to attach the sticker (usually a CN22 customs declaration) giving a description of contents and value. The exemption threshold for import VAT at 21% currently - and the associated €10 An Post Admin fee - is €22 including shipping cost on most non-excise items (ie. no fags, perfume, booze allowed). The threshold is being abolished EU-Wide on July 1. The separate import duties threshold is €150 (£135).

Total import VAT for a consignment if under €6 is considered negligible and not collected - so the effective threshold @ 21% rate until end of Feb is €28.57 reverting to €26.08 when the 23% rate returns. Consignment value including postage & insurance in excess of the threshold pays 21/23% on the entire value including now VAT on the An Post €10 handling. If intercepted customs will write seeking proof of value and will levy a charge which a postman/courier will collect (exact amount no change) in exchange for the package.

The good news is that children's clothing and footwear deemed suitable for 11 and under is zero-VAT rated in both here and UK, so no import VAT.

(The likely bad news is that for items shipped here from the UK which do not originate there (ie. made in EU or China etc.) then tariffs will be applied, the finished garment rate is currently 12%. )
    To add to this, the VAT exemption threshold for gifts is €45 and this is NOT being abolished on July 1st. If the total value of the contents exceeds €45, gift relief still applies to any item(s) which have a cumulative value of less than €45.

Also, for gift consignments in excess of €150 and less than €700, a flat-rate of customs duty of 2.5% is applied to the contents (unless the normal rate(s) of duty would work out less).

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Ordered a Firestick from currys.ie which was due to arrive last week but got held up with DPD issue.

However I have a message today saying that I need to pay import Duty on the item of €17.05. The cost of the item was €59.99 and €5 for delivery initially, but VAT was paid in Ireland. On phone to Currys for over 1.5 hours (on hold mostly) who are none the wiser.

There is an option to return to sender, which I might do and hopefully get a refund. Anyone any suggestions? I am not paying another €17 as the outlay for the item will be €80 which could have been purchased for £30 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

sibersha wrote: »
    Ordered a Firestick from currys.ie which was due to arrive last week but got held up with DPD issue.

However I have a message today saying that I need to pay import Duty on the item of €17.05. The cost of the item was €59.99 and €5 for delivery initially, but VAT was paid in Ireland. On phone to Currys for over 1.5 hours (on hold mostly) who are none the wiser.

There is an option to return to sender, which I might do and hopefully get a refund. Anyone any suggestions? I am not paying another €17 as the outlay for the item will be €80 which could have been purchased for £30 a few weeks ago.

I'd definitely return it to Currys and make them get their act together. I'd order it from Amazon.co.uk who will handle the necessary requirements.

• Advertisement

sibersha wrote: »

Currys should be sending it in to you at the correct price. They are registered for VAT in Ireland. Good luck I trying to explain that to them.

Advertisement