Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Ok, I have tried, God knows how I have tried to work this out, just want to confirm..

Say I purchase an item shipping from China off of Alixpress. Value €20

Anpost seem to deal with all ALIEXPRESS I have bought.

As things stand, I will get charged a handling fee and import duties and taxes right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Ok, I have tried, God knows how I have tried to work this out, just want to confirm..

Say I purchase an item shipping from China off of Alixpress. Value €20

Anpost seem to deal with all ALIEXPRESS I have bought.

As things stand, I will get charged a handling fee and import duties and taxes right ?

no.
    a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT. so there will be no handling fee for An Post.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

no.
    a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT. so there will be no handling fee for An Post.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Thank you for the info and your time :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

whiterebel wrote: »
    As per the 1st post in this thread a gift up to €45 value isn’t liable to charges. They probably won’t allow foodstuffs in though. There is strict controls on foodstuff from outside the EU, and Amazon won’t ship them anymore.

Depends- they're not consistent.

Yesterday from Amazon.co.uk I had a delivery of a couple of catering cards of Manna sardine paste (60 tins), Haribo Colorado (3kg catering box), Katsu curry paste (30 portions) and culinary grade citric acid (2kg) delivered by Amazon.

All of the above were repeat orders.

If I were to try to order these separately today- they'd probably not let me.

No UK VAT charged on order (Irish VAT was).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 The_Shuffle

As per the 1st post in this thread a gift up to €45 value isn’t liable to charges. They probably won’t allow foodstuffs in though. There is strict controls on foodstuff from outside the EU, and Amazon won’t ship them anymore.

I did read the first post. I suppose my question was not the value per se but what constitutes a gift. I read on one of the pages that if someone had bought something, even as a present, then it isn't a gift.

Either way as long as it doesn't go over €45 it shouldn't matter?

I can't see why confectionary would be a problem? I've bought wacky Kit Kats from Japan before which is most definitely outside the EU and that arrived with no hassle whatsoever. I can't see how UK would suddenly be any different to other non-EU countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

I did read the first post. I suppose my question was not the value per se but what constitutes a gift. I read on one of the pages that if someone had bought something, even as a present, then it isn't a gift.

Either way as long as it doesn't go over €45 it shouldn't matter?

Auntie Mary who lives in Bristol sends a small present to her nephew John for his Birthday/Confirmation/Graduation whatever who lives in Dublin. That is a gift.

Brian who lives in Kilkenny buys item x online to give to Kate for their Anniversary. That is not a gift.

A gift has no commercial intent, is occasional in nature and has been sent by a private individual outside the Union, to a private individual inside the Union. If you buy it, it is NOT a gift. A gift is something someone sends you as a present. If you buy it as a present for someone else, that is not a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Auntie Mary who lives in Bristol sends a small present to her nephew John for his Birthday/Confirmation/Graduation whatever who lives in Dublin. That is a gift.

[...]

What if auntie Mary buys an item on Amazon/Ebay UK and asks seller to ship it directly to nephew John? Even though it is in fact a gift, it would not be treated as such by Revenue/Customs I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

I can't be entirely certain, and I'll check it out when I get a chance, but I don't think there's VAT on movements to/from outside the EU.
    I know DHL and FedEx don't charge VAT on movements from the US, and neither do UPS. Strangely enough, UPS charge VAT one the Customs clearance, which I think is incorrect, personally.

I'll let you know when I can check it out.

Is UPS still at 15+VAT?

An Post is using 3.5€, but I'm not sure about the UPS.

Seller is sending either with Canadian post for 50$ (slow) or with UPS for 55$ (fast)...so if UPS is at 15+VAT might as well chance the Canadian post + An post :)

p.s.@whiterebel what did u mean that they don't charge VAT on movements from the us?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They don’t charge VAT on the movement itself, it is included in the VAT/Duty calculation. The more I think about it, UPS are probably correct, because Customs Clearance is an Irish/EU function. DHL are charging VAT on theirs now too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

Sorry I know it’s been done to death but I’m a bit unsure of this one.
    I just received a text from DPD to say I owe €50.80 duty/tax for a parcel that cost €110.
    The cost split is: 14:50 advance payment and €36.30 import vat. Does that sound correct? Thanks

• Advertisement

icanmunch wrote: »
    I just received a text from DPD to say I owe €50.80 duty/tax for a parcel that cost €110.
    The cost split is: 14:50 advance payment and €36.30 import vat. Does that sound correct? Thanks

110e for item only or item and shipping?

Fwarder wrote: »
    110e for item only or item and shipping?

For item + shipping

For item + shipping

Tax is 21% so I'm not sure how they ended up with 36e :D

To get 36e of tax, your parcel should have been like 170e :D

Fwarder wrote: »
    Tax is 21% so I'm not sure how they ended up with 36e :D

To get 36e of tax, your parcel should have been like 170e :D

That’s what I was thinking! I will shoot them an email and see how I get on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Maybe the customs label didn't show the price - so customs did their own valuation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I got a package this morning worth £55 from an post and no import charges due, it was from a small U.K. store they only took off U.K. vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 waseempk78

Hi all,just have a question.i received a letter today from revenue that they detained my parcel which came from china.actually i ordered nike runner(copy),they mentioned that they suspecting that the goods infringe registered designs or patents,So now should i just leave it like that and let them destroy the goods or should i contact revenue or sign the form they sent to me.anybody have the same experience plz share your experience.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

waseempk78 wrote: »
    Hi all,just have a question.i received a letter today from revenue that they detained my parcel which came from china.actually i ordered nike runner(copy),they mentioned that they suspecting that the goods infringe registered designs or patents,So now should i just leave it like that and let them destroy the goods or should i contact revenue or sign the form they sent to me.anybody have the same experience plz share your experience.thanks

You definitely won't be getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

waseempk78 wrote: »

They will destroy them anyway. You ordered fakes. (no such thing as copies)

I would leave it. By replying you are admitting that you attempted to import counterfeit goods.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Didn't think I would ever stop ordering from the UK but these fees are ridiculous

I made a purchase to the value of £28.42 + £16.01 Shipping with UPS. It arrived today and I had to pay €29 so I have practically paid for the items twice

Items were fpv quadcopter oriented:

XT30 Battery Wire with 100μF Capacitor × 1 £1.63
    Caddx Ant 1200TVL Nano FPV camera - 4:3 × 1 £10.41
    Ummagawd Ummagrip Lite Super Sticky Battery Pad (Blue) × 1 £3.70
    FrSky XM Micro SBUS Receiver × 1 £7.70
    XT30U Connectors (Pack of 10) - Yellow × 1 £2.49
    XT30U Connectors (Pack of 10) - Black × 1 £2.49

Subtotal:£28.42 Shipping:£16.01 via UPS (1-2 Days Mon-Fri)

Payment method:PayPalTotal:£44.43
    I have just worked out tax @21% which is

For the Goods £5.94 / €7.00
    For the Goods with shipping (if they tax shipping too) £8.81 / €10.39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

slade_x wrote: »
    Didn't think I would ever stop ordering from the UK but these fees are ridiculous

I made a purchase to the value of £28.42 + £16.01 Shipping with UPS. It arrived today and I had to pay €29 so I have practically paid for the items twice

Items were fpv quadcopter oriented:

I have just worked out tax @21% which is

For the Goods £5.94 / €7.00
    For the Goods with shipping (if they tax shipping too) £8.81 / €10.39

you do pay vat on the total including shipping.
    UPS charge €15 + vat for customs clearance.

you do pay vat on the total including shipping.
    UPS charge €15 + vat for customs clearance.

Yep...what An Post charges 3.5e, ups is charging 15+vat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

But they've always charged that for processing items coming from outside the EU. It's not something new or sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Got a message from DHL saying i have to pay import duty/tax of €37.94

on an item that cost €113

how do they come up with that figure?

vat @ import €23.44

advance payment of €14.50 (whats that about??)

fryup wrote: »
    Got a message from DHL saying i have to pay import duty/tax of €38

on an item that cost €113

how do they come with that figure?

Ask them?

Or do it yourself, multiply the amount with 21% tax and add 15e for dhl services

dhl services ??? i've already forked out €18.70 for shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

Anyone know what DPD are charging for their "handling fee"??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭corkie

tiegan wrote: »
    Anyone know what DPD are charging for their "handling fee"??
    Spocker wrote: »
    Just adding it to this thread for info - DPD are the courier that deliver gap.eu orders in Ireland (via Hermes in the UK, where the orders are dispatched from), and will charge a customs fee. I just paid a €14.08 fee (including a €5 DPD fee) for a pair of jeans from Gap that cost €41

If ordering from the likes of Amazon, you should be paying the courier fees at checkout.

corkie wrote: »
    €113 + €18.70 + €15 (DHL customs processing fee) ~~ €146.70 * 21% = €30.80

Difference would be the value customs used or the currency exchange rate used.

the difference? of nearly €7.00 ?? that can't be right

and why am i paying VAT on shipping & services? surely the vat should be charged on the value of the item only

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fryup wrote: »
    and why am i paying VAT on shipping & services? surely the vat should be charged on the value of the item only

VAT *is* charged on all shipping, services and carriage- ontop of the value of the item, and always has been done. I hear what you're saying- however, if you want it changed, lobby your TDs to have Revenue change how its calculated.

Advertisement