Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

spix wrote: »
    My parcel has an invoice. Contains 3 items and only 1 was valued correctly. 1 was close but some digits were mixed around. The 3rd item was a completely different number, I think they can change the value at will regardless of invoice if the person doing the calculation thinks it should be higher. There also seems to be a good chance of error with how they are entering numbers and doing vat calculations. Most people wont be coming onto this thread, I can only imagine how many others are unknowingly paying wrong fees because they assumed the calculation given must be correct. I think they must be struggling with the volume and rushing through too fast, whilst also under pressure to not let something go through undervalued, resulting in overvaluing happening more often than it should, and calculation errors.

Hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Hi all,

unrelated to UK, do we pay any customs fee if we order from Canada (or just tax). I was reading that EU and Canada have some sort of a trade agreement, but I don't have experience with it. I would like to order stuff that is Made in Canada (some woodworking tools). So I was wondering do I just pay 1% to An Post + 21% to Revenue, or is there a customs fee as well involved.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is no agreement yet. If the value is over €150 it may be subject to Customs Duty, once over €22 it will be subject to VAT @21%;, please a clearance fee. Its a bit unclear at the moment what way An Post are charging, its 1% of the value with a minimum of €10.00 is probably the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

FedEx are charging me 18.15 as a Direct Payment Processing Fee on an item that has an intrinsic value of around 90. Import tax is 18.24.

But 18 euro as a processing fee is pretty extortionate.

Does anyone know how FedEx calculate this?

€15 + VAT. That has been pretty standard with DHL, UPS and FedEx before Brexit. Not the VAT, only UPS seemed to charge that.

• Advertisement

Just looked at my order online and I ordered an item on 31st Dec 2020 - paid for it then. Its only getting delivered now along with 18 tax and 18 processing fee. - should I have to pay the customs-processing fee etc?

whiterebel wrote: »
    There is no agreement yet. If the value is over €150 it may be subject to Customs Duty, once over €22 it will be subject to VAT @21%, please a clearance fee. Its a bit unclear at the moment what way An Post are charging, its 1% of the value with a minimum of €10.00 is probably the worst case scenario.

Thanks,
    I was reading this https://www.fedex.com/en-ie/customs-tools/free-trade-agreements/eu-and-canada.html and though I could order whatever as long as it's made in canada :D

Sorry I didn’t realise it had come into force. You MAY have no duty, but VAT, charges etc will still apply.

philten wrote: »
    Just looked at my order online and I ordered an item on 31st Dec 2020 - paid for it then. Its only getting delivered now along with 18 tax and 18 processing fee. - should I have to pay the customs-processing fee etc?

Yes, it’s about the arrival date into the state, not the purchase date

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Mod - <SNIP> Read the charter and the first post in this thread before asking questions like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

foxy_j wrote: »
    Mod - <SNIP> Read the charter and the first post in this thread before asking questions like that

Sorry ok, I'll rephrase. Is there vat on items sent from Northern Ireland down to the Republic at the moment?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

whiterebel wrote: »
    There is no agreement yet. If the value is over €150 it may be subject to Customs Duty, once over €22 it will be subject to VAT @21%, please a clearance fee. Its a bit unclear at the moment what way An Post are charging, its 1% of the value with a minimum of €10.00 is probably the worst case scenario.

Think it's actually a maximum of €10 now, it changed a couple of weeks ago?

MOH wrote: »
    Think it's actually a maximum of €10 now, it changed a couple of weeks ago?

I'd say its a mistake, but its hard to tell with the way them and revenue are chopping and changing their websites. Probably won't affect many anyway with a value of over €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Sounds like it's not just customers who are struggling with the whole situation:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55757931

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sounds like it's not just customers who are struggling with the whole situation:

Returns have always been an issue hence Amazon often do returnless refunds on low price items and it's a reason Penny's don't have an online presence (not worth their while given their price points) but the new EU paperwork now just makes kt worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭corkie

I was wondering where to share, but looks like English people are also facing additional charges ordering from the EU.

Brexit: 'I was asked to pay an extra £82 for my £200 coat'

"She was surprised when she then received a text from courier company DPD, containing a link asking her to pay £58 in customs duties, VAT and additional charges for her £180 order.

On top of that, the UPS courier for the second parcel showed up at her door several days later, asking for an extra payment of £82 for her £200 coat.

"I didn't even know when the parcels would be coming - so I sent both back without paying the extra fees and won't be ordering anything from Europe again any time soon," Ellie says."

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

If uk vat has been included in price for something should I be charged irish vat also? Assume not but just wondering if there is anything I can do about it. Invoice clearly shows uk vat but irish vat also applied by courier.
    Thanks
    Phil

UK VAT is nothing to do with Irish Customs. You can try claiming it back from the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

philten wrote: »
    If uk vat has been included in price for something should I be charged irish vat also? Assume not but just wondering if there is anything I can do about it. Invoice clearly shows uk vat but irish vat also applied by courier.
    Thanks
    Phil

The seller should not be applying UK VAT- however, the vast majority of UK sellers are not equipped properly to sell into the EU at the moment. As for the courier charging Irish VAT- that is entirely correct (providing the value of the item + carriage exceeds EUR22).

This is why Irish people are abandoning buying from the UK- in favour of France/Germany/Spain etc- the UK is appallingly expensive when you have to pay tax twice over.

Sales from certain platforms (notably Amazon, but also some others) do not have UK VAT associated with them- just Irish VAT- but once you throd off the beaten track, you'll get caught out pretty much every single time.

Avoid ebay like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The seller should not be applying UK VAT- however, the vast majority of UK sellers are not equipped properly to sell into the EU at the moment. As for the courier charging Irish VAT- that is entirely correct (providing the value of the item + carriage exceeds EUR22).

This is why Irish people are abandoning buying from the UK- in favour of France/Germany/Spain etc- the UK is appallingly expensive when you have to pay tax twice over.

Sales from certain platforms (notably Amazon, but also some others) do not have UK VAT associated with them- just Irish VAT- but once you throd off the beaten track, you'll get caught out pretty much every single time.

Very good summary.....it must have killed ebay here i assume qs most sellers are Joe Soaps.

Thanks for that clear summary, its very helpful. FedEx delivered my parcel without looking for payment in advance but better pay it as I'm sure they won't forget about it ha 😛

FedEx always deliver first. The most stupid system ever created, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

I got this a text from An Post this evening. I used address pal for an item valued at £15.99 on Amazon which cost €18.07 from my revolut. I presumed from this thread that there would be no charge as the value was under €22. I know that I paid €6.50 to An Post but this was after the item was delivered from Amazon and surely cannot be included in the value? This is a new transaction and I'm sure there is Irish VAT paid on the €6.50? Or am I missing something? Is it that I'm importing it from the Address pal address and that's the transaction that catches the VAT?

[URL="[url=https://postimg.cc/5HQkkYVb][img]https://i.postimg.cc/cJFyCwkg/Screenshot-20210128-234258-Samsung-Internet.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]Screenshot-20210128-234258-Samsung-Internet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ By using AP. You ended up paying UK Vat first

Then charged Irish VAT on top of that amount.

AP shipping cost are also included in the calculations.

If you ordered direct, you would have got the item VAT free.

This has been covered to death across threads.

DO NOT USE AP when ordering from Amazon.co.uk at present.

If you look at item again for delivery direct, you would see the item working out cheaper. I assume you have prime, cause you didn't metion amazon transport costs?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ By using AP. You ended up paying UK Vat first

Then charged Irish VAT on top of that amount.

AP shipping cost are also included in the calculations.

If you ordered direct, you would have got the item VAT free.

This has been covered to death across threads.

DO NOT USE AP when ordering from Amazon.co.uk at present.

If you look at item again for delivery direct, you would see the item working out cheaper. I assume you have prime, cause you didn't metion amazon transport costs?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Unfortunately the item wasn't available to Ireland. I had canceled my prime last month but when I ordered this I was offered a week of prime of 99p which I opted for used for this order and cancelled. I really didn't think that the AP cost would be included for VAT as it's a separate transaction and I pay VAT on the AP cost. Definitely AP out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Trying to buy some football jerseys off a german website and they don't ship to Ireland!! Messaged them on fb and got this..
    "Hi Ronan! Thank you for you message. Unfortunately we can't deliver to Ireland at the moment because of the brexit situation. We are trying to find a solution regarding VAT. It's still unknown when we'll be able to resume our shipping to your country. We are so sorry."

:confused::confused::confused:

Trying to buy some football jerseys off a german website and they don't ship to Ireland!! Messaged them on fb and got this..
    "Hi Ronan! Thank you for you message. Unfortunately we can't deliver to Ireland at the moment because of the brexit situation. We are trying to find a solution regarding VAT. It's still unknown when we'll be able to resume our shipping to your country. We are so sorry."

:confused::confused::confused:

That was because dhl and ups weren't delivering because of the brexit, however that ban has lifted now. I got parcels last week with both ups and dhl from DE.

P.s. also tell them that you're in the republic, not the kingdom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 The_Shuffle

Can anyone help me with this one please? I have tried finding out but just got a bit lost in all the information.

We live in Ireland and haven't been in the UK for ages with no sign of that changing any time soon. My mum wants to send us a small care package (probably by DPD) with just some chocolate/crisps etc that we can't buy over here.

They would be a gift, but she would obviously have to buy them first so what's the deal there? Are we going to get stung on duties & charges now for a few bits of confectionary sent from home?

• Advertisement

As per the 1st post in this thread a gift up to €45 value isn’t liable to charges. They probably won’t allow foodstuffs in though. There is strict controls on foodstuff from outside the EU, and Amazon won’t ship them anymore.

Advertisement