Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options
1777879808183»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Hi folks, I am looking to purchase a new Kayak from the UK. I have checked the first post and see there is no duty on such a product when bought new. The reason I'm posting is that the company will not deliver to Ireland. I can go myself and pick it up though. Am i correct in thinking that if I go over on the boat pick up the Kayak then I will just be liable for 23% Irish VAT and as I'm exporting it from the UK i won't have to pay the UK VAT? Also, how and where would i pay the VAT? TIA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The company in the UK would charge you UK VAT, as they aren't exporting it, you are. You can contact customs at the port of arrival or at the local revenue office later to arrange customs clearance.

MOD: Before anyone weighs in with advice, please check the charter for this forum, in particular the bit about evading customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Moose1

If the company will send to Northern Ireland use one of the parcel forwarding services and be there on the day to collect the Kayak. You will save a costly ferry trip across.

OOHPOD etc. charge €6 for oversize and are very understanding with regard to a larger delivery like this (Call before delivery and explain you will collect on same day as delivery etc. etc.)

I see, I'd be caught twice with VAT. Still might work out cheaper than buying here. Thanks

That might be an option, I know a fishing shop up there who might source it for me from the UK. They then sell it to me. As I'd be buying it from them, I think that is okay. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

Hi,

Is there any customs/import duty payable on an antique piece of Edwardian (Providence: England) jewellery posted from the UK to Ireland? Value would be over €3k

I think the TARIC is 7113 19 which says 0%

It's an 18ct gold chain with some diamonds. Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If the Taric is correct then add 23% on to the value plus the cost of shipping. With a value like that, I'd be double checking with customs, though.

Advertisement