Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 smurfette111

Hi,

Just thought I'd say that I got my passport in the post today after ordering it via the express service on the 3rd. I was checking this site to try to get an idea as to my chances of receiving it so hopefully this will give some people an idea ofwhen to expect theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My daughter's passport runs out in May, and we're going on holiday in July. I discovered she is entitled to a British Passport because my husband was born in the UK. I don't want to chance sending off for an Irish Passport because things seem to be going from bad to worse at the Passport Office.

We need to get the application countersigned by a British Citizen who is a professional and has known us for 2 years - and lived in the UK for the past 2 years. Trouble is, I don't know any! If I live in Eire, how am I supposed to get somebody who lives abroad to sign the form - and how could they know us for 2 years if we live in different countries! The local Garda was unsure whether or not he could countersign it. I'm just wondering if anybody has applied for a British passport here recently - and if they got an Irish professional to countersign it?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Fergus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Well, it was saying approved in Friday and them yesterday status changed back to blank on the website, and no sign of it in the post so far.

Eeek! I wonder if that's qn indication it's on he way? I hope so. Let us know if it arrives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

sweetswing wrote: »
    hate to be the one to say this but this is bull crap, i spent 6 and a half hours in there today only to be told my application that i posted by fast post on the 10th of march "was not even in their system". and there was nothing they could do for me , i showed them my flight details for the 7th april,
    and asked what was going to happen ,asked what about yesterdays statement about speeding up things for people with due flights .
    i was told that that is not the statement that they sent out.
    there is no information , there is no order, people are on the verge of rioting, and no body gives a flying [EMAIL="fu@k"]fu@k[/EMAIL]
    6 and a half hours to be brushed aside after 2 minutes with your plees falling on deaf ears.
    1550 euro washed down the drain (no come back) dream holiday gone
    im in an absoloute rage as i type this, i hope ye have better luck than me
    Banned. Read the warnings posted on this thread. NO RANTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hi,

Just thought I'd say that I got my passport in the post today after ordering it via the express service on the 3rd. I was checking this site to try to get an idea as to my chances of receiving it so hopefully this will give some people an idea ofwhen to expect theirs.

Cheers for the update, that's about 20 days or so, helps us gauge how long we will be waiting, do you know what your status was online with the tracker on their website up to the time you got it sent out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

He he...Was that "Robbie" and his wife? They were there when I was queuing..that guy was joke-a-minute......he was cracking one liners, telling people to "spread out in a bunch" and that they "usually always do this"....

Didn't catch his name but he had a brilliant impression of PJ Gallagher's characters. He's was on the RTE news after giving a comment about the commercial vrs private travel relaxations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

robinph wrote: »
    There isn't any problem with holding both a UK and Irish passport. I seem to remember something about the ones done via the embassy here as just being sent to be processed in the UK anyway but I had my new one back in just over a week when I got mine renewed a month ago, I did that all via the UK though.

They won't care about your Irish passport, so just take along whatever proof it is that they will have listed on the website and you should be good to go. It might be that it will take a touch longer though if you've not had one before and neither has your dad.

Thanks Robinph,

I'm gonna try them in the morning, they can only say no I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is a special service where express passports will be produced within 2 weeks if the application is sent VIA a TDs office. It does not have to be an FF TD.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tanaiste-denies-abusing-power-by-fasttracking-499-passports-1749782.html

I understand that this service is not working at the moment because of the industrial action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Im due to fly to the uk on april 8th, My passport is out of date on april 1st, Im flying with the dreaded ryanair..and was wondering do I need a passport seen as its between the uk and ireland? On their website is says:

Does this mean an garda age card is acceptable?

With Aer Lingus you could use a Garda Age Card. No immigration controls when you land in Britian. there is in Dublin however and the Immigration Garda demand passport or driver's licence to acertain you're either Irish or British and can avail of the common travel area.

We should really REALLY be getting together and sorting out some kind of ID card with yr picture, DoB and nationality so people can travel around the EU without this passport malarky. So frustrating seing other Europeans stroll through with just showing whatever little card-sized ID they do be showing the Gards in Dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Paradoxaholic

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Did you call them stating you have immediate travel plans or something?? I applied on the 4th, and still nothing. Due to travel to portugal on the 10th. Ive callled them so many times, and they promised to do something about my passport, but my status has been on 'being checked' since the 5th of march. maybe i should now turn up there myself???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Lodged application via Express Postal service on the 15 th, status has been on "Being checked" since 16 th. Traveling on the 12 th.

We're trying to get a passport for our 4 month old, so my wife had to submit her passport.

I'm thinking about going in to try to get my wife's passport back. Do people think they'd let me do this ?

What do people think our chances are of getting the passport via the normal process in time to travel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Banned. Read the warnings posted on this thread. NO RANTS.

a little bit harsh no?!
    people are angry and want to vent their anger...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

kelle wrote: »
    If I live in Eire, how am I supposed to get somebody who lives abroad to sign the form - and how could they know us for 2 years if we live in different countries! The local Garda was unsure whether or not he could countersign it. I'm just wondering if anybody has applied for a British passport here recently - and if they got an Irish professional to countersign it?

It's a funny 'ol rule but my wife had the same problem here in France a few years back. Not only did it have to be a professional but also it had to be a bank manager/priest/etc....

I think she managed to get someone in the embassy to countersign it as they were well aware of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

My Story:

I had submitted my passport and it was showing that it was recieved on the 11/03 and was being checked, I was getting anxious as I am going to UK on the 6th April and with Easter Holidays there is not much time left, I was aware that my passport was still in date and realised my best option was to get it back.

I sent a mail regarding this using the mail function on passport.ie on tuesday last not holding out much hope of a reply, i booked tomorrow and next Thursday off work and got the thermos ready.

At 8.23 pm tuesday night I got a mail from a guy in Balbriggen telling me that he would try to look out my old passport and to mail him the following morning, which I did, I then got cc'd in a mail passing my case to another woman in DFO, who mailed me and told me that the passport was being checked and would advise, another hour passed and they told me that it had been approved and would be in the post "today or tomorrow"

My wife has just called to tell me my new passport has arrived, 44 hours after the initial contact by mail I have my passport in my possesion!

Now I have tomorrow off, and nothing to do!!

My Story:

I had submitted my passport and it was showing that it was recieved on the 11/03 and was being checked, I was getting anxious as I am going to UK on the 6th April and with Easter Holidays there is not much time left, I was aware that my passport was still in date and realised my best option was to get it back.

I sent a mail regarding this using the mail function on passport.ie on tuesday last not holding out much hope of a reply, i booked tomorrow and next Thursday off work and got the thermos ready.

At 8.23 pm tuesday night I got a mail from a guy in Balbriggen telling me that he would try to look out my old passport and to mail him the following morning, which I did, I then got cc'd in a mail passing my case to another woman in DFO, who mailed me and told me that the passport was being checked and would advise, another hour passed and they told me that it had been approved and would be in the post "today or tomorrow"

My wife has just called to tell me my new passport has arrived, 44 hours after the initial contact by mail I have my passport in my possesion!

Now I have tomorrow off, and nothing to do!!

Lucky you. I submitted my application 1 week before you, travelling next week.. and still nothing :(

That's what the Ranting and Raving forum and/or After Hours are for. There are two warnings on this thread warning against ranting. Please don't question mod actions in-thread either, use the helpdesk or contact the other mods in the forum by PM if you have an issue with a moderator decision.

my passport arrived the post today...
    thank you sweet lord. and thank you Mr. Israeli embassy man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

My wife is flying home to Greece early May with our 6 week old baby. We are getting her birth cert today to start applying for a passport and we stressed right out!!.

Is it worth trying the express An Post route? Can we apply in the cork office if we live in Kildare?

Is there a helpline number that I can ring to advise me on my options?

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Fergus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Well, it was saying approved in Friday and them yesterday status changed back to blank on the website, and no sign of it in the post so far.

Just an FYI.. the status was approved on Friday according to the website, it went blnk on the website on Tuesday, but I received the passport this morning (Thursday) in the post. So don't give up hope y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Title says it all. My passport expires in August but I'd like to get it sorted. When renewing by passport express, do I need to enclose my old passport, or will a photocopy do? I think a poster said earlier that they were told that a photocopy would be sufficient.

Would be handy - I could then use my old passport if there were mega delays.

• Advertisement

sweetswing wrote: »
    go in to them with proof of your flights and you will be bumped up, im flying out on the 7th and was frantic until they said they are going to get passports for people with flights first, heres hopeing. all the best hope you get it

Did you actually go into to them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

kormak wrote: »
    my passport arrived the post today...
    thank you sweet lord. and thank you Mr. Israeli embassy man! :D
    Delighted someone has some good news on this. When did you apply for it and by what method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 smurfette111

Thanks for the update. Did you call them stating you have immediate travel plans or something?? I applied on the 4th, and still nothing. Due to travel to portugal on the 10th. Ive callled them so many times, and they promised to do something about my passport, but my status has been on 'being checked' since the 5th of march. maybe i should now turn up there myself???

No it just arrived! Not sure what my status was on the net, didn't have my application number.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Hi,

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times in the last few weeks, but im in a predicament about my passport.
    It expires on the 11th August 2010, and i am currently thinking of booking a week in Spain, sometime around the middle to end of May.
    I have read on various websites and forums, that all EU citizens can travel within EU countries right up until the day their passport expires, but then on other websites ive read that you must have at least 3 months left on your passport.
    I have 2 months left until my holiday, but looking at the way things are in the passport office- i wonder would i have a new passport if i applied now !!
    Any ideas, should i just chance hanging on to my passport and go to Spain in may ???

Delighted someone has some good news on this. When did you apply for it and by what method?

I applied on the 11th of Feb by regular mail.
    The cheque was cashed the following Feb 19th.
    I had no method to track the status of my passport, so i emailed them (twice) requesting they contact me re this.
    On tuesday last, a lady in Balbriggan phoned me to say it was ready.
    Pretty standard stuff really.
    Either there is quite a build up and application deadlines are not gonna be met.... or people stop panicing unless they actually genuinely need their passport within the next 7 days.

what a mess! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

You can travel within the EU until the very day your passport expires. This is an EU law and it includes a paragraph that explicitly bans countries from adding extra restrictions. Border guards may point out to you that your passport is about to expire - but that is just a courtesy, just so you know and do not forget about it. They will still let you (and out :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Thanks for that, i can relax now and book my holiday smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

The passport.ie website says
    The requirement that applicants submit their existing passport with their application for a new passport has been temporarily suspended in cases where the current passport has not yet fully expired. In such cases, customers should include a photocopy of the personal details pages of the current passport with their application for a new passport.

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RunSwift

drfisher wrote: »

Yes - I applied in person and yes they let me keep my passport but took a photocopy of it first. I submitted the long verison of my birth certificate with the application too (i was told it wasn't necessary when I was keeping all the details the same - but maybe just to be sure send that too).

• Advertisement

drfisher wrote: »

If that's what the department responsible is saying, then you can take it that it IS the case!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement