Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i sent away by passport express on march 8th,,sent off 4 in one envelope,,just checked there and 3 have been posted with tracking no.for anpost and there on route to customer,,must be something wrong with the 4th one:rolleyes: ah well i'm still happy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

just wondering anybody in the know who's been there the last few days shed light on my situation...

Applied for it 2weeks ago in there (the 12th) it was checked into the system that day. she asked me was i traveling before the the 26th i said no but im traveling the week after (next friday the 2nd), and she said should get in time and should be ready on the 26th, tomorow, with everything thats go on the last week and half i dont expect to get it tomorow, but once i get by next friday all is well,
    but what are my chances??
    anybody similar situation ?
    should i go in tomorow with my flight details? will this help the process ?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

No that's on ice - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8150930.stm

You won't needa passport for the UK as there's a separate arrivals area. Thing is though, Dublin airport can be a bit of bother. Driver's licence has your birth place and pre-2005 all people born here become citizens so that's accepted in Dublin Airport by the NIM Garda. Maybe your wife has some work ID or something official at the least? That and a birth cert should work. Thing is though the NIM Garda probably wouldn't give this info out officially!

Holyhead passport was a walkthrough last time I was there. I travelled to Dublin via Stranraer/Belfast ferry last year. I was asked for ID at Stranraer as I was a young male on my own and it was a match weekend Rangers v Celtic etc. Had no passport but gave the police there my age card and he took down my details, asked me to sign a form to say where I was staying and then that was that.

Something official with a name and a picture.

Cheers

We've decided not to renew the passports (until we return) as even an expired passport and a current back card should suffice, if we are asked for ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

drfisher wrote: »
    The passport.ie website says

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct information?

Finally managed to get through on the phone to the passport office.

Was told that I could keep my unexpired passport and submit a new application, but the new passport wouldn't be released until I submitted the old one. They would however process the application to a certain point.

I'll be giving this a go anyway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hobbie

I applied for my passport via the normal post (not Passport express) some weeks ago. The tracking service at that stage said that it was being checked and would be issued around the 18th March, The recieved date was sometime mid feb. Shortly before the 18th march I checked again, the expected issue date disapeared from the site but the correct recieved date was still there. last updated was at 9th March. Today the site says it was recieved on the 25th march and last updated on the 25th march! It seems to be updated very infrequently. Has anyone had any similar experiences or is it just that i went the posta lrather than the passport express route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Irish Ferries released a statement today clarifying that you don't need a passport if you're travelling to the UK by ferry,a drivers license will suffice.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/no-passport-needed-for-our-passengers-says-irish-ferries-451385.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hey,

The missus applied for her new passport with the 10 day passport 'express' on March 8th. The lady in the post office said it could take up to 15 working days. Been in twice to Molseworth St so far and no joy.

Flying tomorrow at 3pm, so going to dust of the Thermos flask and prep some hang sandwiches for a 6am start in the queue at the passport office.

Have flight details, photos, application form etc. If anyone has any positive tips/suggestions on what we can do to improve our odds of getting the passport on the day i would like to hear them.

Failing that, is there anything good on in Dublin this weekend :confused:

Go Team!

No passport = no trip for myself and herself ;o( Plane took off at 3pm without us... at least someone got some extra arm room on the flight!

Go Team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KimK

BigAl81 wrote: »
    No passport = no trip for myself and herself ;o( Plane took off at 3pm without us... at least someone got some extra arm room on the flight!

Go Team!

Nightmare mate, Sorry to hear it......

Looks like my son's passport was posted out today but the web site keeps changing so untill it arrives through the door I ain't gonna get my hopes up. Not that its much help to you.....:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Paradoxaholic

Yay! GOOD NEWS! My passport has been approved! ... thank goodness. After about 10 calls, and unwavering persistence, i recieved a call this afternoon saying my passport application has been approved and will be posted to me tomoro/monday!

Good luck and best wishes to all!:p
    *relief*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

Yay! GOOD NEWS! My passport has been approved! ... thank goodness. After about 10 calls, and unwavering persistence, i recieved a call this afternoon saying my passport application has been approved and will be posted to me tomoro/monday!

Good luck and best wishes to all!:p
    *relief*

Great stuff Paradoxaholic

Maybe if people could please include when and how they applied it might be useful.

What telephone number were you getting through on ?

Edit: Sorry, I see in your previous posts you applied on the 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

sweetswing wrote: »
    SOrRY TO SAY It DOES NOT LOOK LIKE ITS HOLDING UP. spent 6 and a half hours there to be told my passport wasent even on their system , i fast posted it on the 10th of march. it was chaos there today , nobody cracking jokes any where near me.
    all you can do is go in and try , best of luck.
    as far as im concerned they dont give a dam , my hard earned holiday is as good as gone now , shame on all involved shame on them:(

Hey there thanks for getting back to me......they actually gave me a slip when I applied in the Office on the 18th, and they said....the PP would be available for collection, March 30th, and that I would have to call in for it.

Now, why would they say that? Would they lie for the hell of it?

Very little adds up, I'm afraid.

Cheers.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Hi,

Myself and my other half are heading off to a wedding in Italy on April 29th. Both our passports have expired. Obviously we need to apply ASAP. Just wondering if our best option is to:

1. Use the passport express option and hope that bears fruit before the 29th?

2. Queue up until we get one?

Also, if I apply in person, can I also do so on my girlfriend's behalf?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Does anyone happen to know what the queues are like at the moment (11:20 on Friday)? Might sound like a stupid question, but I know they died down yesterday afternoon.

I'm travelling on the 4th and have been told I can collect my 3 passports on the 30th. However, when I applied, I was told that booked holidays were not considered an emergency and so they ignored my printed tickets. Now the conditions have changed to INCLUDE travel plans, my plan is to go in today and ask for confirmation of collection on the 30th as I have flights booked.

Anyone know about the queue or have any advice please? Thanks a lot folks and good luck to all of you waiting to get passports!

Another data point - my sister's friend applied via Express on the 7 th and got get passport in the post yesterday

Is anyone getting through on the phone lines ?

long_b wrote: »
    Another data point - my sister's friend applied via Express on the 7 th and got get passport in the post yesterday

Is anyone getting through on the phone lines ?

Sometimes you do, and sometimes you dont. I frequently got a message like 'Sorry, we are experiencing technical difficulties' .. Just keep calling. You ll probably have to wait for ages to be answered, Im sure there are thousands of people calling them. The last time i called, I had to wait 45 mins before someone answered me...

Best wishes!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

My sister is due to go to Paris Tuesday morning and has just realised her passport is out of date :( :eek:

I have heard the Cork office is open does anyone know if this is true? If it is I will get her down on Monday to get an emergency one but need to know if its operating as usual? If anyone can advise it would be great as dont want to drive down and realise its the same as Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I could kill myself.

I sent my application in to the passport office on March 12th, but I went for the standard post option :(

I need my passport by June and I'm literally ****ting bricks over whether or not it'll be sent out by then. If it hasn't arrived by the end of April, I'm going to go in and ask them is it worthwhile applying again, but through the passport express option.

I leave on June 14th for England, but at least I now know that I can use my Garda ID...until June 25th when I fly to Paris! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I could kill myself.

I sent my application in to the passport office on March 12th, but I went for the standard post option :(

I need my passport by June and I'm literally ****ting bricks over whether or not it'll be sent out by then. If it hasn't arrived by the end of April, I'm going to go in and ask them is it worthwhile applying again, but through the passport express option.

I leave on June 14th for England, but at least I now know that I can use my Garda ID...until June 25th when I fly to Paris! :eek:
    You do realise it's March?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Yes, but I've heard that the backlog is really bad and they'll only deal with the more urgent applications. Mine isn't even in the passport express pile :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

[QUOTE=SonicC;65080575

Applied for it 2weeks ago in there (the 12th) it was checked into the system that day. she asked me was i traveling before the the 26th i said no but im traveling the week after (next friday the 2nd), and she said should get in time and should be ready on the 26th, tomorow, with everything thats go on the last week and half i dont expect to get it tomorow, but once i get by next friday all is well,
    but what are my chances??
    anybody similar situation ?
    should i go in tomorow with my flight details? will this help the process ?
    [/QUOTE]

went in on friday told me there was average 2/3 day backlog, so it should be ready tues or weds, emphasing on words like "might" "maybe" so im stilll not getting my hopes up, traveling this friday morning (the 3rd), of course there was no way they could bump it up the list, or the fact i had my flight details and all. "once its in the system your just going have to wait and sit tight and hope it comes threw on time." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hi,

Going to Italy on April 29th. Passport expires on April 26th. Obviously need to apply ASAP. Just wondering if my best option is to:

2. Queue up until to get one? Have a day off tomorrow so this is an option.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

dowlinj wrote: »
    Hi,

Going to Italy on April 29th. Passport expires on April 26th. Obviously need to apply ASAP. Just wondering if my best option is to:

2. Queue up until we I one? Have a day off tomorrow so this is an option.

Thoughts?
    The waiting time on passport express is advised at between 10-15 days on the passport site. I'd say it will take between 15-20 as that seems to be the average people are waiting at the moment. You should be okay for the 29th i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Will make no difference. It has to be sent up to Dublin to be produced. She won't get one i'm afraid.

The status of our application on the tracking page has changed from "received and being checked" to "Received on 16/03/2010 and has been registered".

I'm taking this as good news ?

Does anyone know what remaining statuses there are ?

1. Received and being checked.
    2. Approved
    3. Posted (Your An Post tracking number is given to you at this point)
    4. Ta-daa!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone know what the various statuses are when tracking on the dfa.ie site? Ours has gone from "checked" to "has been registered". Not sure it will help get a better feel for when we might see the passport, but was encouraged to note that talks are ongoing so hopefully strike can be avoided.

Anyone know what the various statuses are when tracking on the dfa.ie site? Ours has gone from "checked" to "has been registered". Not sure it will help get a better feel for when we might see the passport, but was encouraged to note that talks are ongoing so hopefully strike can be avoided.

Ours too. There's "approved" and "posted" too. Anyone know the details behind these statuses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hobbie

Passport applied for using normal postal not express method arrived today 29/03 posted to passport office 10/02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

I dont know if this will help but some airlines (bmi) will take a work ID card? Im flying with them this weekend,

A little of topic I feel sorry for people who get passporrt sorted only to see BA on strike! (Though it could work out for others)

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the queues are like at the Dublin office?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement