Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Managed to get speaking to somebody in last 10 mins. Basically, if it hasn't been touched yet then yes I can withdraw the application. It remains to be seen if they will photocopy it for me & proceed with the application like normal on foot of the new T&C's I posted above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Folks, for the last time, save the rants for After Hours... I don't mind folks asking questions in this thread, but try to stick to the facts. I have removed some rant type stuff from a few posts (and quoted posts). If I have to do it again, the posters responsible will be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

does anyone know what exactly the story is with emergency passports?

passport was stolen 2 weeks ago, applied for a new one, but it won't be back in time.

is it only family emergency ones they're giving out in Molesworth St.?

what exactly give proof of a "family emergency"?

is it in Balbriggan that the emergency ones are being processed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Did someone break into your house and steal your passport? I always wonder how people end up with theirs being stolen. Surely you'd want to put it in a safe place? :s

anyways, the "emergencies" count as life or death kinda thing. Ie, your wife/father/child is in another country and is about to die or has just died. I belief it's bad karma to lie about someone dying personally but don't know how you could prove your sister in Paris is on her deathbed.

I'm wrote: »
    Thanks to all for their posts - it's good to understand other's experiences. I sent my application in on the 3rd Mar - the status once recieved has been the same since. Need it for the 31st for flight with Ryanair to UK, but will probably just have to take the hit and book flights with another carrier in the next couple of days.
    You don't need a passport officially/legaly to fly to the UK. There's a separate arrivals for Republic of Ireland, UK and Chanel Islands. With Aer Lingus you can fly with a bus pass, Garda card, work ID etc... anything official with yr name and picture.

Coming back into dublin airport you need a driver's licence or a passport to technically "prove" you're Irish (or British) and you avail of the Common Travel Area.

Another reason I wouldn't travel with Ryanair ....

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    It's not a bad idea to have dual nationality. I have an American passport and, although I never use it unless going to the states it is good to know that if I got caught up in something like all this passport madness I'd have another one so I could at least travel.
    I thought with American citizenship you're not allowed hold any other citizenship and you have to renounce your other citizenship and pledge alegience to the american flag or whatever?
    I'm travelling in mid May and returning at the start of June.

My passport expires in early June, but AFAIK (don't have it on me now) it'll still be in date when I'm travelling.

I've heard rumours about non-acceptance of passports which aren't a couple of months away from expiry. Is this a load of crap?

I don't really want to send my passport away for renewal if there's a chance I won't get my new one in time to fly...

No offence to anyone but you can see how this crisis has unfolded now with people applying for passports en masse when they're flying a few months from now. I don't blame anyone for planning ahead and trying to get it sorted out in advance, in fact that's what everyone should be doing. Just looks like a panic has erupted.

Anyway, in case you or anyone doesn't know, you will be fine within the EU with a valid passport up to expiry date and you don't really need a passport for flying to the UK - the passport office could do well to pass on this information! and the govt. could do well to sort out more concrete arrangements with other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Did someone break into your house and steal your passport? I always wonder how people end up with theirs being stolen. Surely you'd want to put it in a safe place? :s

anyways, the "emergencies" count as life or death kinda thing. Ie, your wife/father/child is in another country and is about to die or has just died. I belief it's bad karma to lie about someone dying personally but don't know how you could prove your sister in Paris is on her deathbed.

yes, house was broken into.

i would ring them and find out exactly what proof is needed, but they're not answering the phones...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I thought with American citizenship you're not allowed hold any other citizenship and you have to renounce your other citizenship and pledge alegience to the american flag or whatever?

Nope. Many people have dual nationalities.

However, be advised do not make the same error I did which nearly made me miss a flight.

I travelled to France on my Irish passport and my son his American one and I travelled Ryanair and used the online check in. THis meant I did not check in at the desk which is where they usually do the visa stampd for non EU citizens. SO after I had gone through security, and half way around the world to the ryanair gate and got on the end of a very long queue, the lady at the gate told me I didnt have a visa stamp on the boarding pass and i had to race with a two year old in one arm, and due to the rules now about leaving unattended luggage behind, hand luggage and a buggy in the other, up escalators, down escalators, and back again through secutirty after finding the ryanair desk, nearly broke my neck, my sons neck and nearly missed the flight.

So mind the visa if you are not doing desk check in and flying on a non eu passport.

Ok lesson over.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I applied in person and the status on the website changed to 'approved' on the day they said it would be posted out. Anyone know if that means it has also been posted out, or would that show up as 'posted' on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If anyone hears any recommendations from official sources re what to do if your passport is already in the system and you're thinking or queueing up or whatever please advise on this thread.

As I get closer to our departure gate I'd like to know if there is any point in going into the office to queue if I have submitted the renewal form using the Express Post option. I'd be concerned that, as I queue, it could be posted out or something.

I have heard whispers of a new 20day turnaround but no confirmation on that, if anyone hears any more info on that it would be worth posting. Whatever about the efficiency of the operation, their communication is awful. Good luck to all those with crossed fingers waiting for their passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

A few of the previous posters had stated that you don't need a passport to fly to the UK, I remember reading somewhere, either late last year or earlier this year that it was changing, does anyone have a date on that?

I and my partner are going to the UK via boat in Mid May, we will be applying for new passports later this week via An Post (the existing ones expire on 1st May), as she does not have a driving licience is there any danager of not being allowed to travel if the passports don't arrive?

J.Ryan wrote: »
    A few of the previous posters had stated that you don't need a passport to fly to the UK, I remember reading somewhere, either late last year or earlier this year that it was changing, does anyone have a date on that?

I and my partner are going to the UK via boat in Mid May, we will be applying for new passports later this week via An Post (the existing ones expire on 1st May), as she does not have a driving licience is there any danager of not being allowed to travel if the passports don't arrive?
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/faqs/passports-and-visas/im-a-irish-citizen-do-i-need-a-passport/

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

Thanks for that, what qualifies as a form of Identity, she doesn't have a driving licience and getting the theory test and the provisional licience isn't going to happen in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

In the case of my 6 mth old, do I still as the parent have to send in the childs original birth cert and my own passport to get his issued? seems crazy that I may not be able to fly myself for the next 2 mths whilst it sits in a pile on desk somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Fergus wrote: »
    I applied in person and the status on the website changed to 'approved' on the day they said it would be posted out. Anyone know if that means it has also been posted out, or would that show up as 'posted' on the website?

Approved means that everything is ok with your application (photo's, citizenship etc), next stop is production (ie: where it's made) then quality control and then postage.

It depends on which office it is in as to how quickly it will be sent out, reason being, the office in Molesworth St recently flooded and some of the printers were damaged, this has to cause a delay in production. If it was sent to Balbriggan or Cork at a guess I'd say it'd be sent out end of today or tomorrow, not 100% sure on that, I worked there a couple of years ago and that would have been the time frame then. Once it's approved there is less human involvement so I guess the work to rule shouldn't affect it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

They definitely should publicise that bit about not having to hand over your original document. I think the guys in the post offices probably don’t even know that, or surely they’d say it. I didn’t apply for mine sooner because I was travelling constantly. I don’t think my new one will be ready before I need it again, so I’m going to try and somehow get the old one back as it’s valid for another 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

are the isralies still providing irish passports?how much.

horse7 wrote: »
    are the isralies still providing irish passports?how much.
    Infraction issued. If you're not willing to help with queries, don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

sweetswing wrote: »
    how long ago did you send in for your passport? pasport express?
    sweetswing - posted the application form on Feb 11th by regular post, the cheque was cashed on Feb 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Paradoxaholic

Im growing increasingly frantic at this point! I applied for my pasport through the express service on the 4th of march! Ive been checking the tracking site ever since, only to see 'Passport being checked, last updated on the 12th of march'' , However, when i luckily got through to them on monday after 1 frickin hour on the phone, the woman told me that the passport application has not been touched! Absolutely ridiculous! I'm due to fly out on the 10th of april, and im worried i may not recieve it by then. Has anybody has any good experience at all?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mama79

I was going to use passport express today to renew my passport and get one for my son but when i was in the garda station getting my photos stamped the guard behind the counter said she'd just heard on the radio (96fm Cork) that passport express had been suspended and that the passport office in Cork were sending out passports from April 14th. Had originally intended to use passport express but decided to pop down to the passport office on the south mall to check it out.They had an extra desk set up for enquiries and applications which was manned by 2 staff members, both of them really nice. Anyone who was travelling before April 14th had to take a ticket and wait with their applications ( one woman was told by security guard that the average wait was 40 mins). Anyone travelling after that date had their forms checked by the two on the extra desk and recieved a receipt with the application numbers and was told that all the applications taken at that desk will be posted on April 14th. I checked the tracking numbers on passport.ie this evening for the laugh and lo and behold they're already up so fingers crossed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Im growing increasingly frantic at this point! I applied for my pasport through the express service on the 4th of march! Ive been checking the tracking site ever since, only to see 'Passport being checked, last updated on the 12th of march'' , However, when i luckily got through to them on monday after 1 frickin hour on the phone, the woman told me that the passport application has not been touched! Absolutely ridiculous! I'm due to fly out on the 10th of april, and im worried i may not recieve it by then. Has anybody has any good experience at all?? :confused::confused::confused:
    go in to them with proof of your flights and you will be bumped up, im flying out on the 7th and was frantic until they said they are going to get passports for people with flights first, heres hopeing. all the best hope you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Used the mail function on the website re: getting my old passport back and got a response at 8.23pm my faith in the public service has been restored!

On a side note a rep from Ryanair said there was no way that they will relax the passport to Uk rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

No worries. An EU passport is valid for travel within the EU up to it's expiry date.

Hi Mike, would you have a link for this information, I fly to Lanzarote from 21st - 28th April, passport expires 5th May, I just want to make sure it will be valid,

Thanks

Hi Mike, would you have a link for this information, I fly to Lanzarote from 21st - 28th April, passport expires 5th May, I just want to make sure it will be valid,

Thanks
    All EU citizens have the right to enter and reside in the territory of any other member state of the European Union for a period of up to three months simply by presenting a valid passport or national identity card; no other formality is required. Member states cannot set additional conditions concerning the minimum validity of duration of the identity card or passport

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-abroad/general_tips

No that's on ice - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8150930.stm

You won't needa passport for the UK as there's a separate arrivals area. Thing is though, Dublin airport can be a bit of bother. Driver's licence has your birth place and pre-2005 all people born here become citizens so that's accepted in Dublin Airport by the NIM Garda. Maybe your wife has some work ID or something official at the least? That and a birth cert should work. Thing is though the NIM Garda probably wouldn't give this info out officially!

Holyhead passport was a walkthrough last time I was there. I travelled to Dublin via Stranraer/Belfast ferry last year. I was asked for ID at Stranraer as I was a young male on my own and it was a match weekend Rangers v Celtic etc. Had no passport but gave the police there my age card and he took down my details, asked me to sign a form to say where I was staying and then that was that.

Thanks for that, what qualifies as a form of Identity, she doesn't have a driving licience and getting the theory test and the provisional licience isn't going to happen in time?

Something official with a name and a picture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An update issued today to help things along
    The union said it was prepared to extend the grounds for emergency passport provision beyond bereavement and illness to include immediate travel deadlines.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Used the mail function on the website re: getting my old passport back and got a response at 8.23pm my faith in the public service has been restored!

On a side note a rep from Ryanair said there was no way that they will relax the passport to Uk rule!

Congrats. Hope I get a similar outcome. I also emailed them but no word back. Gonna try and que for it. Wish me luck

Im due to fly to the uk on april 8th, My passport is out of date on april 1st, Im flying with the dreaded ryanair..and was wondering do I need a passport seen as its between the uk and ireland? On their website is says:
    A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country is acceptable.

Does this mean an garda age card is acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No. Some EU countries have ID card schemes. We don't - as such a valid passport is the only ID Ryanair will accept from you.

If I was you, I'd get cracking on it now/soon. You might qualify under the relaxation of the strike, as they are now saying that "imminent travel" is now a valid reason for an emergency passport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement