Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

BuffyBot wrote: »
    No. Some EU countries have ID card schemes. We don't - as such a valid passport is the only ID Ryanair will accept from you.

If I was you, I'd get cracking on it now/soon. You might qualify under the relaxation of the strike, as they are now saying that "imminent travel" is now a valid reason for an emergency passport.

Figured as much.. but I was living in hope.. :(

Thanks for the info though!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

A friend of mine is flying to Turkey this Saturday. She has 4 months left on her Irish passport. I have been told by the Turkish embassy that she needs 6 months. I know this is probably a lost cause, but does anybody have any experience of exceptions being made or should she just arrive and chance it (as she was told to do by a different person at the embassy a couple of days ago).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Managed to get speaking to somebody in last 10 mins. Basically, if it hasn't been touched yet then yes I can withdraw the application. It remains to be seen if they will photocopy it for me & proceed with the application like normal on foot of the new T&C's I posted above

I'm currently waiting inside passport office off Kildare street on my old in date passport back from balbriggin. At moment I've been told I should get it by lunch. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

Yeah, turns out where I'm going requires 3 months validity remaining on a passport.

I'm eligible for an American passport also, and am considering applying for one at the same time as my Irish one, just in case...

Best to check that you are allowed to hold 2 passports in the UK duel nationality is allowed but you are only allowed to hold 1 valid passport I think it might be the same here.

Only other option would be to hop the ferry over to the Uk & queue at the passport section of the Irish Embassy it might be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Gray wrote: »
    Best to check that you are allowed to hold 2 passports in the UK dual nationality is allowed but you are only allowed to hold 1 valid passport I think it might be the same here.

In Ireland and in the USA, if you have dual nationality you are allowed to hold a valid passport from each country. It must be the same in the UK also, or do you have a source which states otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Why do so many leave it to the last minute to apply for a passport or to renew an existing one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a special service where express passports will be produced within 2 weeks if the application is sent VIA a TDs office. It does not have to be an FF TD.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tanaiste-denies-abusing-power-by-fasttracking-499-passports-1749782.html
    Under the system, TDs and senators can leave passport applications given to them by members of the public in a drop box in Leinster House.

These applications are processed by a special unit at the passport office and the passport is issued within five days -- half the time a regular application would take.

Some 4,383 applications were dealt with in this way between January 2008 and the end of last month, according to documents released under the Freedom on Information Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

The missus applied for her new passport with the 10 day passport 'express' on March 8th. The lady in the post office said it could take up to 15 working days. Been in twice to Molseworth St so far and no joy.

Flying tomorrow at 3pm, so going to dust of the Thermos flask and prep some hang sandwiches for a 6am start in the queue at the passport office.

Have flight details, photos, application form etc. If anyone has any positive tips/suggestions on what we can do to improve our odds of getting the passport on the day i would like to hear them.

Failing that, is there anything good on in Dublin this weekend :confused:

Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Congrats. Hope I get a similar outcome. I also emailed them but no word back. Gonna try and que for it. Wish me luck

Just got a mail from PP office, new passport is in the post, looks like the mail function on the site is the best way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Approved means that everything is ok with your application (photo's, citizenship etc), next stop is production (ie: where it's made) then quality control and then postage.

It depends on which office it is in as to how quickly it will be sent out, reason being, the office in Molesworth St recently flooded and some of the printers were damaged, this has to cause a delay in production.

Thanks for that. Well, it was saying approved in Friday and them yesterday status changed back to blank on the website, and no sign of it in the post so far.

• Advertisement

Just got a mail from PP office, new passport is in the post, looks like the mail function on the site is the best way to go!

Collected my old (still in date) passport at 12.30 today. Was in the que from 4am. Renewed passport will follow at a later date.
    Happy out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RunSwift

Questions for anyone in those long queues.
    I will hopefully be collecting my passport from molesworth street in the next couple of days - tracking it online says that it’s currently been "approved".

When I applied at the counter I asked for collection as opposed to the passport being posted to me.

Are those long queues for people going to the counters on the bottom floor or are they people queuing to collect their passports upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Collected my old (still in date) passport at 12.30 today. Was in the que from 4am. Renewed passport will follow at a later date.
    Happy out.....

Bloody Hell.. That was an epic wait. Was the queue busy from 4am on?

I am travelling to Portugal on 8th of April. No passport. I handed in my application with my out of date passport to Molesworth St on 18th March and got a slip telling me collection date of 30th March. I assume this is no longer even slightly realis&tic.

It's looking like I will have to start queueing tomorrow morning at 3 or 4am. Does anyone know will this help my cause. Obviously I will have all proof of travel with me.

My other option is to go to British Embassy tomorrow morning and try get a British Passport. I was born in England as was my Father. (Both of us hold Irish Passports). I have never held one before.
    Does anyone know if this is a possibility. Bear in mind my out of date Irish Passport is with Irish Passport Office as part of my renewal application. I have an original copy of my Birth Cert.

Pretty much at a loss like so many other people.

Do I queue at 4am at Irish Office?
    Do I chance trying to get a British Passport?

All opinions and any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

*Disclaimer*
    I accept I should have rewnewed my passport in time so I am entirely to blame for my current predicament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

I am due to collect for March 30th. Does anyone have any experience of whether that date is worth the paper it is written on? Thanks.

sweetswing wrote: »
    go in to them with proof of your flights and you will be bumped up, im flying out on the 7th and was frantic until they said they are going to get passports for people with flights first, heres hopeing. all the best hope you get it

Hi there, I included proof of my flights when I applied on March 18th, and was told it would be good for collection on the 30th. Did they just say that to get rid of me or is it actually holding up? Thanks.

W123-80's;

I arrived this morning at 4.15am or so. I counted that I was #41 in the queue. By 8am the queue was backed up to the junction of Kildare Street. I couldn't see any further, but it must have gone around the corner by 9.30am. The people 10-15 places ahead of me said some people arrived at 2am.

I went to the customer services downstairs, where we queued again. I was now #18. I reached the booth at 10.30am and the lady (Ann?) couldn't have been more helpful. I explained my story (renewal applied for with original in date passport sent away too). She rang the Balbriggan office and managed to get my passport pulled out of the system and onto the delivery lorry that was scheduled to head into the city at 11am.

I had details of my flights with me but wasn't asked to produce them. Probably because I was trying to get my old passport back

I then went up stairs and waited. Turned out the delivery from Balbriggan didn't arrive to 12.20pm or so. I got mine and headed home. I can now go to Portugal next week on old (in date) passport and my new renewal will follow when ready.

My only gripes is that the post office probably should have informed me that a photocopy of my passport would have been sufficient when i applied via the express service. This amendment was introduced before I made my application.

Also, the security guard at the main door is extremely rude and all communication with him is best kept to a minimum. Otherwise everybody was more than helpful.

A very long day but worth it

Oh, if queuing bring warm waterproof clothing and something hot to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

Not sure if this has been affected by the Industrial Action but maybe people could get onto their TD’s

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tanaiste-denies-abusing-power-by-fasttracking-499-passports-1749782.html

Hi there, I included proof of my flights when I applied on March 18th, and was told it would be good for collection on the 30th. Did they just say that to get rid of me or is it actually holding up? Thanks.

I'm in the exact same boat as you! Applied on the same day. Only I didn't show proof of flights. Looking like i'm going to be camping on Molesworth Street tonight..!

W123-80's;

I arrived this morning at 4.15am or so. I counted that I was #41 in the queue. By 8am the queue was backed up to the junction of Kildare Street. I couldn't see any further, but it must have gone around the corner by 9.30am. The people 10-15 places ahead of me said some people arrived at 2am.

I went to the customer services downstairs, where we queued again. I was now #18. I reached the booth at 10.30am and the lady (Ann?) couldn't have been more helpful. I explained my story (renewal applied for with original in date passport sent away too). She rang the Balbriggan office and managed to get my passport pulled out of the system and onto the delivery lorry that was scheduled to head into the city at 11am.

I had details of my flights with me but wasn't asked to produce them. Probably because I was trying to get my old passport back

I then went up stairs and waited. Turned out the delivery from Balbriggan didn't arrive to 12.20pm or so. I got mine and headed home. I can now go to Portugal next week on old (in date) passport and my new renewal will follow when ready.

My only gripes is that the post office probably should have informed me that a photocopy of my passport would have been sufficient when i applied via the express service. This amendment was introduced before I made my application.

Also, the security guard at the main door is extremely rude and all communication with him is best kept to a minimum. Otherwise everybody was more than helpful.

A very long day but worth it

Oh, if queuing bring warm waterproof clothing and something hot to drink.

Thanks Longshanks,

It must have been some long night. Looks like thats what I am going to have to do.

Thanks again.

W123-80's wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat as you! Applied on the same day. Only I didn't show proof of flights. Looking like i'm going to be camping on Molesworth Street tonight..!

Hi there when are you flying? What will camping out tonight achieve? Thanks and good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Longshanks,

It must have been some long night. Looks like thats what I am going to have to do.

Thanks again.

To be honest, it was grand. I ran into a old mate 2 mins after I arrived and the family behind were full of beans keeping everybody entertained :D
    Otherwise, my ipod would have been on heavy rotation.

Hi there when are you flying? What will camping out tonight achieve? Thanks and good luck with it.

I'm flying Thursday 8th April.
    I'm not sure if camping out will achieve anything to be honest. That was half the reason I posted in the first place, to see if anyone in a similiar situation had been sucessful.
    I guess I am a bit like the public in general, I am absolutely petrified that I'll not get a passport in time. I don't want to leave anything to chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My other option is to go to British Embassy tomorrow morning and try get a British Passport. I was born in England as was my Father. (Both of us hold Irish Passports). I have never held one before.
    Does anyone know if this is a possibility. Bear in mind my out of date Irish Passport is with Irish Passport Office as part of my renewal application. I have an original copy of my Birth Cert.

There isn't any problem with holding both a UK and Irish passport. I seem to remember something about the ones done via the embassy here as just being sent to be processed in the UK anyway but I had my new one back in just over a week when I got mine renewed a month ago, I did that all via the UK though.

They won't care about your Irish passport, so just take along whatever proof it is that they will have listed on the website and you should be good to go. It might be that it will take a touch longer though if you've not had one before and neither has your dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Dyflin wrote: »
    An update issued today to help things along

source
    hate to be the one to say this but this is bull crap, i spent 6 and a half hours in there today only to be told my application that i posted by fast post on the 10th of march "was not even in their system". and there was nothing they could do for me , i showed them my flight details for the 7th april,
    and asked what was going to happen ,asked what about yesterdays statement about speeding up things for people with due flights .
    i was told that that is not the statement that they sent out.
    there is no information , there is no order, people are on the verge of rioting, and no body gives a flying [EMAIL="fu@k"]fu@k[/EMAIL]
    6 and a half hours to be brushed aside after 2 minutes with your plees falling on deaf ears.
    1550 euro washed down the drain (no come back) dream holiday gone
    im in an absoloute rage as i type this, i hope ye have better luck than me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

One on behalf of my fiance:

We're getting married soon, and honeymooning in Vancouver, doing an Alaskan cruise as far north as Anchorage, then back to Vancouver where we drive through the Rockies to Calgary.

My fiance's passport expires 3 weeks exactly after we are due to return.

She applied for a new passport, but the woman in An Post told her not to include her passport that is due to expire.

So, I've heard the US is ok for travel up to the day before you are due to return, but what about Canada?

Do you think we are ok to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

hate to be the one to say this but this is bull crap, i spent 6 and a half hours in there today only to be told my application that i posted by fast post on the 10th of march "was not even in their system". and there was nothing they could do for me , i showed them my flight details for the 7th april,
    and asked what was going to happen ,asked what about yesterdays statement about speeding up things for people with due flights .
    i was told that that is not the statement that they sent out.
    there is no information , there is no order, people are on the verge of rioting, and no body gives a flying fu@k
    6 and a half hours to be brushed aside after 2 minutes with your plees falling on deaf ears.
    1550 euro washed down the drain (no come back) dream holiday gone
    im in an absoloute rage as i type this, i hope ye have better luck than me
    Hang in there. You still have time before your departure and things are certain to change between now and then. Let's hope they change for the better.

Hang in there. You still have time before your departure and things are certain to change between now and then. Let's hope they change for the better.
    it looks like they are changing for the worse they are threatening all out strike now, i allways try to stay positive:D but i witnessed the carryon first hand today my self.
    passport fast posted 2 weeks ago and its not even on their system yet:confused:
    this is criminal no other word for it.
    ill try again one more time on monday , but i really cant see anything happening for me......

To be honest, it was grand. I ran into a old mate 2 mins after I arrived and the family behind were full of beans keeping everybody entertained :D
    Otherwise, my ipod would have been on heavy rotation.

He he...Was that "Robbie" and his wife? They were there when I was queuing..that guy was joke-a-minute......he was cracking one liners, telling people to "spread out in a bunch" and that they "usually always do this"....

it looks like they are changing for the worse they are threatening all out strike now, i allways try to stay positive:D but i witnessed the carryon first hand today my self.
    passport fast posted 2 weeks ago and its not even on their system yet:confused:
    this is criminal no other word for it.
    ill try again one more time on monday , but i really cant see anything happening for me......

The gentleman who came out to us, his name was Mr Nugent*, said that we would be no faster at the Passport Office than we would be if we went thru PP direct. Nobody believed him. And they were right, it seems.

*Head of the PP Office.

"Protective Strike Notive" has been served on the Dept of FA. Practically, this means that they will go on strike IF a certain something happens, that certain something being the direct docking of wages from workers in the PP office.

• Advertisement

SOrRY TO SAY It DOES NOT LOOK LIKE ITS HOLDING UP. spent 6 and a half hours there to be told my passport wasent even on their system , i fast posted it on the 10th of march. it was chaos there today , nobody cracking jokes any where near me.
    all you can do is go in and try , best of luck.
    as far as im concerned they dont give a dam , my hard earned holiday is as good as gone now , shame on all involved shame on them:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement