Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

They do answer phone calls. I was speaking to someone in the office in Cork this morning. He was lovely. I’d recommend ringing them, although I was on hold for 18 mins before speaking to anyone.

What number did you call retro:electro? I’m trying to call but keep getting automated message saying they’re not taking calls due to demand and then it just cuts me off. Did you just keep trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What number did you call retro:electro? I’m trying to call but keep getting automated message saying they’re not taking calls due to demand and then it just cuts me off. Did you just keep trying?

(021) 4944700

(021) 4944700

That’s the number I’m calling. Did you not get the message directing you to the website?

That’s the number I’m calling. Did you not get the message directing you to the website?

It seems to be saying that now alright. Keep trying throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice to offer...
    I need to fly to UK on 11th May with my baby, which is 24 working days away.
    I need to apply for a passport for the baby, but think it’s too tight to use passport express, but yet not tight enough to book an appointment at the office.
    The post office is saying 28 working days to print, plus postage time, so it wouldn’t be back in time. I can’t risk sending it as I have to send in my UK passport too and need that to fly myself.
    I tried booking an appointment and website is telling me to use passport express as it only takes 15 working days.
    What are people’s experiences? Do you think it would be better to wait a week then try and get an appointment? I’ve tried calling and emailing to ask, but getting no response at all from them.
    Thanks

If you don’t have flights booked already book with Aer Lingus and the baby can travel without a passport with one of their parents. Just bring their birth certificate to show you’re the parent.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

• Advertisement

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    If you don’t have flights booked already book with Aer Lingus and the baby can travel without a passport with one of their parents. Just bring their birth certificate to show you’re the parent.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

Thanks Cakerbaker, will look to see if they do the flights I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why wouldn't you just book the appointment at the counter and tell them you are flying out a week earlier. They didn't ask me for a proof of travel. If they are promising completely false processing times for passport express it's not unreasonable to expect people will book appointments at the counter to process passport quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Hadn't a clue where to post this, so figured travel may be the best.

Anyway my passport is long since out of date and I'm in the process of renewing it, manually by post. Do I need to apply for the passport card as well or is there any actual need to spend the extra €35 for it? From what I've seen, the only point of getting one is travelling within the EU without needing to carry your passport which I assume is marketed towards people who would be frequently travelling to and from Ireland/rest of EU?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Nope, passport card is simply an additional "mini passport"

Handy if you travel in eu frequently or get asked for id frequently.

But purely an optional extra. But sort of handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Absolutely no need to get the card if you don't want to. It's handy if you do a fair bit of travel over and back to mainland EU but otherwise not worth spending the extra on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Perfect, thanks folks. Considering it's been 5+ years since I've flown and really am just renewing it for the sake of it, really not worth the extra cost. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Just a question about sending a document as proof of address when applying for passport. Would a credit union statement be OK? Has my address on, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can apply for a passport card at any stage up to three months before your passport book expires. The card normally lasts for five years but if there is less than five years remaining on your passport book when you apply for the card, they will issue you with a card which has the same expiry date - you cannot have a current card and an expired book at the same time.

But if you don't fly very often, there isn't really any point in spending €35 for a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Our child's passport renewal is going in the post today...how long approximately will it take for us to receive the passport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Soulsun wrote: »
    Our child's passport renewal is going in the post today...how long approximately will it take for us to receive the passport

We have an estimate of 16 working days with Passport Express and it is due to issue April 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

coylemj wrote: »
    <snip>
    But if you don't fly very often, there isn't really any point in spending €35 for a card.
    +1 , although its discounted if you get it at the same time as the passport. I think I paid €25 for it.

For me the best €25 I ever spent, but if you rarely ever travel and you live in Ireland where in day to day life you dont need an ID , then its €25 thats better spent on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Hi guys

Ordered a passport online 2 weeks ago (Tuesday 27th March) - said estimated time of issue to be Wednesday 11th

I haven't received it yet and am flying to London on Thursday with Ryanair - am I likely to receive it by then?

Getting a bit worried now

You should ring them they might let you collect it

You should ring them they might let you collect it

It was a renewal, my old one expired last year

Are they collectible?

• Advertisement

It was a renewal, my old one expired last year

Are they collectible?

Yea they might facilitate you if you’re pushed for time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

estimated time of issue to be Wednesday 11th

flying to London on Thursday with Ryanair - am I likely to receive it by then?

I would say there's almost no chance of receiving it by then unless you intervene by calling or visiting them.

I'm absolutely bloody raging.

Within an hour of me making my original post here, coincidentally, I get an email from the passport office saying that I need to submit a new photo as the original one I submitted is not acceptable - a full TWO WEEKS after originally accepting it.

When I upload it 2 weeks, it was on my 5th attempt as it rejected the first 4 i submitted then approved this one - now call me cynical but I feel this is clearly a diversionary tactic to gloss over their backlogs/wait times - what if I upload another photo now and its gets accepted and conveniently in 2 weeks they send me another mail saying I need to resubmit another one?

Absolutely no clarity or transparency on the matter. I'm absolutely gutted, really expected it this week - I know i can fly to the UK with Aer Lingus without a passport but I just look at prices and it's nearly 300 return, no way I can afford that to fly out thursday :(

I'm absolutely bloody raging.

Within an hour of me making my original post here, coincidentally, I get an email from the passport office saying that I need to submit a new photo as the original one I submitted is not acceptable - a full TWO WEEKS after originally accepting it.

When I upload it 2 weeks, it was on my 5th attempt as it rejected the first 4 i submitted then approved this one - now call me cynical but I feel this is clearly a diversionary tactic to gloss over their backlogs/wait times - what if I upload another photo now and its gets accepted and conveniently in 2 weeks they send me another mail saying I need to resubmit another one?

Absolutely no clarity or transparency on the matter. I'm absolutely gutted, really expected it this week - I know i can fly to the UK with Aer Lingus without a passport but I just look at prices and it's nearly 300 return, no way I can afford that to fly out thursday :(

Try to contact them and if you get through maybe there could be an option of emergency processing.

I had awful trouble getting passport photo approved and it had to be retaken three times by professional photographers. It was at embassy and not for Irish passport. They were very cautious but the international standards for photos are very strict and in this case is more likely that your photo just wasn't acceptable.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Try to contact them and if you get through maybe there could be an option of emergency processing.

I had awful trouble getting passport photo approved and it had to be retaken three times by professional photographers. It was at embassy and not for Irish passport. They were very cautious but the international standards for photos are very strict and in this case is more likely that your photo just wasn't acceptable.

Is the option of or emergency passports not for genuine emergencys like a family death or illness?

My trip to London is work related :(

Is the option of or emergency passports not for genuine emergencys like a family death or illness?

Ask them if you get through to them (which would be a miracle anyway) but you won't know if you don't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JackiesArmy

I’m in a similar situation. Did you have any luck?
    hey going on holiday at the end of the month and sent off for a passport for my 1 year old son but tracking ID says that the passport is being issued until day after I fly. (26th)

The application went in first week of March so it will nearly be 2 months to process- I really thought I'd given myself a big window.

I've been told the passport office can fasttrack it if you get in touch but the phone isnt being answered and the only way to contact them is via a 250 character limit contact form. I sent a request on this last week and again today and got nothing back.

Am I completely screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Well you don't need passport to travel between Ireland - UK if an UK or Irish citizen, drivers licence is sufficient.

BA, Cityjet, Aer Lingus, FlyBe, Irish Ferries, Stena Line, P&O will be more than happy to carry you, Ryanair will not. Change the flights much simpler

Well you don't need passport to travel between Ireland - UK if an UK or Irish citizen, drivers licence is sufficient.

BA, Cityjet, Aer Lingus, FlyBe, Irish Ferries, Stena Line, P&O will be more than happy to carry you, Ryanair will not. Change the flights much simpler

Price of flights at this sort've notice is out of my league though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JackiesArmy

Did anyone who is worried about their issue date have any luck by calling to the passport office in the end? According to the office in Cork, the passport office in Dublin works off a different issue date to the one you view when tracking online. Online I'm being told our issue date is Friday the 20th April. On their system apparently it was the 5th April but we've received no passports and according to the tracker they are still "processing the application".... I'm beginning to get worried. Our travel date is Monday the 23rd April.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement