Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

My sons passport expires end of July and we are planning for Lanzarote in June. Is it acceptable for travel given it has about 5 weeks left in validity after we return?

He has a few short trips to France with school etc between now and June so I don't think we can renew before then given the current advice from the passport office of 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

You're right to ask, as some countries require the passport to be valid for up to 6 months. I don't think you have to worry about the canary islands though.

Although this is a UK website, I find it very useful (maybe less so after Brexit!):
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements
    Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. This applies to the whole of Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

[QUOTEQuote:
    Originally Posted by happyfriday74 View Post
    hey going on holiday at the end of the month and sent off for a passport for my 1 year old son but tracking ID says that the passport is being issued until day after I fly. (26th)

The application went in first week of March so it will nearly be 2 months to process- I really thought I'd given myself a big window.

I've been told the passport office can fasttrack it if you get in touch but the phone isnt being answered and the only way to contact them is via a 250 character limit contact form. I sent a request on this last week and again today and got nothing back.

Am I completely screwed?

Answer:

They won’t fast track if the passport is already in process, especially for new passports.

They don’t take phone calls, it’s just an automated message telling you to go online

They don’t reply to the vast majority of tweets

They have a web chat, last time I was on the wait time was 80 minutes.

They have the contact form too but if wait time for web chat is that long, who knows how long you’d wait for what would be a stock reply.

The issue date is an estimate and not a guarantee of issue.

They will tell you thinks like not to book travel until you receive the passport. They also tell you and have in their FAQ not to go by dates An Post quote! Unbelievable that they don’t have An Post on the same page.

Front and centre on the main passport page on the web it says allow 6 weeks for passport processing which is not enough time in many cases.

As someone else suggests perhaps considering speaking with your local TD][/QUOTE]

All got a response. They have noted my intended travel dates on the application but also caveat ed that there is no guarantee I'll get it on time.

They told me to check the website tracker but unfortunately it still says its issued the day after I am due to fly out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,372 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EU, US and Canada don't require one day validity on your passport beyond your planned trip. Countries in Asia, the gulf etc. tend to have the requirement of 3 or 6 months remaining on your passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

Was booked flights to Mexico on Sat in short notice and have a passport that expires in 2022, but the plastic photo/information page has cracked all the way along the top! Currently it is taped back in, everything on this page is readable and clearly matches the rest of the passport(US Visas, Canadian border stamps, same passport numbers on all pages). I have had to tape it back in so it doesn't fall out.

I applied for a passport on the 1st of this month, but I got an email today saying I didn't hand in the old one(didn't know the old one needed to be sent back in) and it would be 10 working days from when the old one was received, so oops a bug mess up there... Getting hold of the Irish passport office from the North has been expensive and frustrating. I can't do the rapid replacement because I have an existing online application in.

Am I totally foooked at this stage? I live in Belfast and if I have to I will make the trip down to beg for a new passport before Sat in Dublin.

Does anyone think my current passport will do for 1 more trip? Any advice, losing my cool a bit here !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wonderfl0nium

Anyone know if the photocopy of my public services card needed for the application has to be in colour or will black and white do?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

My date of issue, according to the tracker, was yesterday, the 11th. It still says "your passport book is being printed". I applied online for renewal on the 27th March.

Has anyone any idea how long printing takes, at the present time. I know the time estimates fluctuate. Just wondering if anyone had the same situation over the last week or so and if they have yet received their passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Just to aid those looking for current timings.

I submitted my daughter's passport renewal on 21/03/2018 using Express
    It arrived yesterday.

Unsubscribes from thread until next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

adamtj09 wrote: »
    Was booked flights to Mexico on Sat in short notice and have a passport that expires in 2022, but the plastic photo/information page has cracked all the way along the top! Currently it is taped back in, everything on this page is readable and clearly matches the rest of the passport(US Visas, Canadian border stamps, same passport numbers on all pages). I have had to tape it back in so it doesn't fall out.

I applied for a passport on the 1st of this month, but I got an email today saying I didn't hand in the old one(didn't know the old one needed to be sent back in) and it would be 10 working days from when the old one was received, so oops a bug mess up there... Getting hold of the Irish passport office from the North has been expensive and frustrating. I can't do the rapid replacement because I have an existing online application in.

Am I totally foooked at this stage? I live in Belfast and if I have to I will make the trip down to beg for a new passport before Sat in Dublin.

Does anyone think my current passport will do for 1 more trip? Any advice, losing my cool a bit here !

Maybe apply for a Passport Card - whilst it's not accepted in Mexico, if you have it with you it will verify your normal passport's details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Leraf wrote: »
    My date of issue, according to the tracker, was yesterday, the 11th. It still says "your passport book is being printed". I applied online for renewal on the 27th March.

Has anyone any idea how long printing takes, at the present time. I know the time estimates fluctuate. Just wondering if anyone had the same situation over the last week or so and if they have yet received their passport.

Just checked again and its now "dispatched" with a tracking number for An Post. Panic over. So it took 16 days from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Price of flights at this sort've notice is out of my league though :(

Then get a ferry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

frash wrote: »
    Just to aid those looking for current timings.

I submitted my daughter's passport renewal on 21/03/2018 using Express
    It arrived yesterday.

Unsubscribes from thread until next time :)

They received my daughter's application on 23/03 and apparently it's meant to be printed by 17/04. Really hoping it does as we're going on holiday in 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Submitted my passport with the application for my children's passport. I now need to travel urgently on Monday. Is there any way I could get my passport back?

I could try for a rapid appointment on Monday (non available tomorrow) but because my passport isn't lost is there anything they can do? Is there such a thing as an emergency passport card??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My passport arrived this am! Not flying til next Friday but I panicked and rang them about the possibility of picking it up. Next thing I know the office rang me back and said they’ll post it out to me straight away! Def worth ringing if you’re impatient like me

sept09baby wrote: »
    Submitted my passport with the application for my children's passport. I now need to travel urgently on Monday. Is there any way I could get my passport back?

I could try for a rapid appointment on Monday (non available tomorrow) but because my passport isn't lost is there anything they can do? Is there such a thing as an emergency passport card??

Where are you traveling to, and with what airline?

I don't think you'll get a passport card at such short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I submitted my three children's passport renewals through passport express on 27/03/18. It.is showing issue date of 23rd April and we are travelling May 7th. I enclosed the old passports but did not enclose birth certs or my passport. I did not see those required but now seeing maybe these are required...
    Will passports be issued??
    If further docs are required when will I be informed?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bluestrawberry

I’m sure you will be ok, normally once you send back old passports plus new pics you will be fine. They normally don’t let you post off applications in post office if you are missing information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 physiohead

Looking for some info. Can you just go to the passport office and queue up without an appointment in cork?? Need a passport for my newborn (12 weeks) as we have a family wedding in Spain leaving on May 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

dechol wrote: »
    I submitted my three children's passport renewals through passport express on 27/03/18. It.is showing issue date of 23rd April and we are travelling May 7th. I enclosed the old passports but did not enclose birth certs or my passport. I did not see those required but now seeing maybe these are required...
    Will passports be issued??
    If further docs are required when will I be informed?

If they’ve previously had passports you don’t need to send birth certs as they’d be on file. If you need further docs etc you don’t go to the back of the queue again when you send them in so you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

fxotoole wrote: »
    Where are you traveling to, and with what airline?

I don't think you'll get a passport card at such short notice

Got sorted thanks. They pulled my passport from their application. Huge thanks to the passport office staff!

I’m sure you will be ok, normally once you send back old passports plus new pics you will be fine. They normally don’t let you post off applications in post office if you are missing information.

Problem is that post office staff oftentimes aren't fully clued in about what documents are required

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Good to know. Thanks everyone. Just applied online to renew my current (digital) one from July 2008. If there are any changes I will update the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcb1986

Got my passport in Northern Ireland using form APS 2E when I was resident in Norther Ireland. Now my passport has just expired and I need one in 5 weeks, I'm now a resident in ROI so do I use form APS 1E or APS 2E. Problem with APS2E I need to go to NI post office to get one which isn't handy whatsoever for me now. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1

why are you even mentioning forms? Just do it online and have it in 10 days compared to 15 days using passport express (excluding the additional time on top of that needed to get the forms, get forms signed and finally getting to a post office during working hours to send it in)

Another voice chiming in to say renew online. It'll be much faster and less messing about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

fxotoole wrote: »
    Another voice chiming in to say renew online. It'll be much faster and less messing about
    Its crazy to be doing it by a form if you dont have to.

Sure if I do it by a form, from abroad, not only does it take days to get forms from the embassy posted out, need to go to a professional photographer to get photos as the booths don't do irish format, and then find a witness and time that suits to sign the form and photos, my witness is then contacted by the passport office by phone at work (when they arent finally not in a meeting) to confirm they know me and that they signed the photos, even though they have 25 years worth of photos of me in their stupid system, and multiple signatures.

You could not make up a stupider and more cumbersome way of renewing as doing it by form the irish way. Yet people choose to still use the form. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Parkman77

Another vote for online here too.
    So much easier. No paperwork, no queue’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Another vote for renewing online. I took a picture with my phones camera and uploaded it, that did the job, filled in the relevant info online then too and the payment details. I had my passport booklet 5-6 working days later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement