Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Mine is just a normal child’s renewal but I posted Friday, they received yesterday, and it says on the tracker that the estimated time is 18th April.

How do you know they received it? Did you get a text? I applied for renewal over a week ago.. flying on April 20th!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'd assume through this.

https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

With the passport card application do you need to have the book physically present for the online application I.e. Do you have to take photo of it. I have a photocopy so have all the details but the book is elsewhere and I can't get easy access to it over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I posted my daughter's renewal through Passport Express last Wed (28th) and online Tracker is now saying April 23rd so 16 working days.

• Advertisement

If you’ve already applied but don’t think you’ll have it in time, is there anything that can be done?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you’ve already applied but don’t think you’ll have it in time, is there anything that can be done?

Sadly unless you can show a family emergency such as death, illness etc there’s an process for escalating a passport. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

Hi there,

I started the application process for a first-time passport in January. As it is my first Irish passport, I had to apply for a PSC and there were such huge delasy that I only received it in mid March. I quickly submitted my passport application after receiving the PSC and was told by a staff member in my local post office that it would be quicker to apply via Passport Express and NOT going to the passport office. Since then, I have tracked my passport on a few occasions and it looks like I won't receive it until early May, which means I will miss a friend's wedding in London on 28 April.

I have read through lots of posts on this thread and see that unless it's an emergency I can't 'hurry' the passport along. Aer Lingus accept a PSC as a valid form of ID for travel between UK and Ireland, but I need to know from someone with direct personal experience (not hearsay, not something they have read online), can you get through passport control in Dublin airport with a PSC and your boarding card?

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

There is no passport check leaving Dublin airport. The first time your id is checked is by airline staff at the boarding gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

hey going on holiday at the end of the month and sent off for a passport for my 1 year old son but tracking ID says that the passport is being issued until day after I fly. (26th)

The application went in first week of March so it will nearly be 2 months to process- I really thought I'd given myself a big window.

I've been told the passport office can fasttrack it if you get in touch but the phone isnt being answered and the only way to contact them is via a 250 character limit contact form. I sent a request on this last week and again today and got nothing back.

Am I completely screwed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

I am flying on April 18th. I sent off for my Passport with Passport Express two weeks ago.
    The tracking is saying it will arrive on May 10th. I have just made an appointmet to go in on Monday to the passport office. Will I have to pay again for the passport? Will they cancel the original application?

Anyone any idea how this will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

From the FAQS.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/faqs/generalpassportfaqs/

Q. I have applied through Passport Express. Can I submit another application in Cork or Mount St?
    A. No, it is not possible to have two applications in the system at the same time.

Q. I have applied through Passport Express. Can I cancel my application and reapply at the counter?
    A. If you wish to cancel an application you must submit a letter in writing to Customer Care, Passport Service, 42-47 Lr. Mount Street, Dublin 2, or by email. Once registered your application needs to go through the whole process and will only be cancelled when it has reached its target issue date. Your documents will then be returned to you and a refund will be processed in due course. Once the application has been cancelled and your documents are returned from your application, you can reapply at the public counter.

Q. I need my passport before the estimated issue date. Can it be issued quicker?
    A. Applications can only be prioritised in the case of a genuine travel emergency, made necessary by the death, illness or welfare of a family member. Please send full details, including tracking number, verifiable proof of emergency and details of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Get on to your local TD. Have your application tracking number and proof of travel. It still works, if it's a renewal anyway. First time applications can take ages because of additional security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

hey going on holiday at the end of the month and sent off for a passport for my 1 year old son but tracking ID says that the passport is being issued until day after I fly. (26th)

The application went in first week of March so it will nearly be 2 months to process- I really thought I'd given myself a big window.

I've been told the passport office can fasttrack it if you get in touch but the phone isnt being answered and the only way to contact them is via a 250 character limit contact form. I sent a request on this last week and again today and got nothing back.

Am I completely screwed?

Have you tried their Twitter account or Web Chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Am I completely screwed?

Contact your TD. They are absolute disgrace and don't answer any communication.

Finally found my tracking number! It says it’s due to be issued on the 16th, I’m flying on the 20th so happy days. Is this a fairly fixed issue date or can it be pushed back? Would they let me collect it from the office I wonder?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Finally found my tracking number! It says it’s due to be issued on the 16th, I’m flying on the 20th so happy days. Is this a fairly fixed issue date or can it be pushed back? Would they let me collect it from the office I wonder?

My son's passport had an issue date on February 22nd as per the tracker, and it arrived 2 weeks later (issued on the 7th March)

Back to panicking so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭robbie1

Just wondering if it’s ok for my daughter to travel to the Uk on the June bank holiday weekend with a month left before her passport expires in July
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

When renewing your kids passport, do they need to be with you when getting the form and passport stamped at the Garda Station?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just wanted to say, I renewed my passport using the online facility on March 20th, great job, took a photo with my tablet, the online application form took a few minutes, new passport today, April 5th, pretty happy not having to visit Garda station for form, pharmacy for photos, back to Garda station for the rest & then the post office,
    Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes.

Cheers. They usually are with me but was planning on nipping in at lunch and it dawned on me that I probably need to take them along.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cheers. They usually are with me but was planning on nipping in at lunch and it dawned on me that I probably need to take them along.

That was my intention but we had to come back with our son later that day. It's a bit ridiculous because we were renewing his passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

meeeeh wrote: »
    That was my intention but we had to come back with our son later that day. It's a bit ridiculous because we were renewing his passport.

When renewing our daughter's Passport, both my Husband and I had to be there with her, needed Passport Form, 4 Photos, Daughter's expired Passport and her Birth Cert as well as ID for both my Husband & I.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Am I completely screwed?

They won’t fast track if the passport is already in process, especially for new passports.

They don’t take phone calls, it’s just an automated message telling you to go online

They don’t reply to the vast majority of tweets

They have a web chat, last time I was on the wait time was 80 minutes.

They have the contact form too but if wait time for web chat is that long, who knows how long you’d wait for what would be a stock reply.

The issue date is an estimate and not a guarantee of issue.

They will tell you thinks like not to book travel until you receive the passport. They also tell you and have in their FAQ not to go by dates An Post quote! Unbelievable that they don’t have An Post on the same page.

Front and centre on the main passport page on the web it says allow 6 weeks for passport processing which is not enough time in many cases.

As someone else suggests perhaps considering speaking with your local TD

I was not flippant replying to contact you local TD. We had an issue with FIL's passport and SIL contacted the local TD. Judging by their response she wasn't the only one. He got the passport in time.

They do answer phone calls. I was speaking to someone in the office in Cork this morning. He was lovely. I’d recommend ringing them, although I was on hold for 18 mins before speaking to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice to offer...
    I need to fly to UK on 11th May with my baby, which is 24 working days away.
    I need to apply for a passport for the baby, but think it’s too tight to use passport express, but yet not tight enough to book an appointment at the office.
    The post office is saying 28 working days to print, plus postage time, so it wouldn’t be back in time. I can’t risk sending it as I have to send in my UK passport too and need that to fly myself.
    I tried booking an appointment and website is telling me to use passport express as it only takes 15 working days.
    What are people’s experiences? Do you think it would be better to wait a week then try and get an appointment? I’ve tried calling and emailing to ask, but getting no response at all from them.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement