Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

law1996 wrote: »
    Lost my passport so went to the passport office today! The office says my passport will be ready for collection on the 29th of march but I'm flying on the 30th! Is this room for concern or are they fairly reliable at having passports ready for collection on the date given?

Call the passport office and tell them, if you can provide a flight itinerary then usually they'll prioritise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

redcup342 wrote: »
    Call the passport office and tell them.....

As previous posters have testified, you can't call them because they don't answer "due to a high volume of calls"

Nor can you use social media as they don't/won't reply.

Plus, appointments cannot be made if your application is in progress.

I did have reason to pass by last week and the public office didn't appear to be that busy but that's not to say you shouldn't allow a couple of hours if attending in person, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I wonder if everyone who was able to used the online service, would the wait times for those that can't use it be shorter?

Lost my passport so went to the passport office today! The office says my passport will be ready for collection on the 29th of march but I'm flying on the 30th! Is this room for concern or are they fairly reliable at having passports ready for collection on the date given?

Did they ask you about travel plans? Usually they are accurate if you give them travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

redcup342 wrote: »
    Call the passport office and tell them, if you can provide a flight itinerary then usually they'll prioritise it.

Passport Office Dublin:
    • Phone lines
    • Email
    • Webchat
    • Twitter Direct Messaging

- All unattended since the end of last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Mable123 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat. Travelling 24th march. Applied 20th Feb for first time passport for child. Still processing which means it hasn't even been looked at. I sent a reg. letter with proof of flights, rang and called to office. No one can help until it's assigned for checking. It's sitting there with the file getting fatter but no one is yet assigned to work the case. Will contacting T.D help? BTW it's no good assigning blame and telling people what they should or shouldnt have done. Passport express is upposed to take 10 to 15 working days . If peole have something helpful to say then great otherwise take your high horse to another discussion

No. Its not. That guarantee is gone years ago.

People really need to manage expectations.

If they booked you into a Rapid Renewal appointment slot, and if you paid the extra fee for fast track issuing, and if they gave a collection slip with that date on it, then yes, it will be ready for collection on that date (barring some extraordinary Act of God)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

fxotoole wrote: »

A month to process the passport isn't good enough, it's ridiculous. It's completely reasonable to expect decent service from the state and enquiries being answered, even if they outsource them to call centre in India.

As for managing expectations, I have to change my passport in another country. I was told I can rock to any co co offices with my old passport and photos and sign the form they will print out. The express will be next day and the normal wait time is 5 working days. Maybe too many people are managing expectations and if they weren't procedure would be a bit shorter and how things are done a bit simplified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's a backlog of 50,000 applications. Brexit, citizenship ceremonies, snow.. all have an impact. First time applications take considerably longer than renewals.

The standard advice is apply at least six weeks before you travel. It's been on their website for years. You can set a reminder on the dfa website so it alerts you when your passport has three months expiry left.

They are processing passports as fast as they can, staff are taking a lot of undeserved abuse.

Caranica wrote: »
    They are processing passports as fast as they can, staff are taking a lot of undeserved abuse.

I don't think anyone is claiming they are slacking on the job. But if the system isn't fit for purpose then it's time the system changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is claiming they are slacking on the job. But if the system isn't fit for purpose then it's time the system changes.

There's an American intern at work who got their passport expedited last year and it still took six months, and that was a renewal.

Passport express needs to be rebranded, it no longer offers the guarantee that it used to and that people think it does. People need to head the Department's advice and allow 6 weeks, they also need to sort passports before booking travel, it's not always possible but there's too much of a cart before the horse culture. Leave emergency appointments for actual emergencies.

A month to process the passport isn't good enough, it's ridiculous. It's completely reasonable to expect decent service from the state and enquiries being answered, even if they outsource them to call centre in India.

As for managing expectations, I have to change my passport in another country. I was told I can rock to any co co offices with my old passport and photos and sign the form they will print out. The express will be next day and the normal wait time is 5 working days. Maybe too many people are managing expectations and if they weren't procedure would be a bit shorter and how things are done a bit simplified.

The passport office still provide a counter service for people travelling urgently. This is guaranteed. The problem is people who should be using it are using passport express instead, and subsequently finding themselves running out of time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

if the system isn't fit for purpose then it's time the system changes.

I think it is fit for purpose though, the Brexit effect is surely adding significant delays to the whole process, which although unfortunate, isn't something that could have been foreseen (certainly not to the extent which demand for Irish passports has reached).

The short sighted response would have been to hire additional staff, only to make them all redundant again in 12-18 months when the Brexit effect wears off, which eventually it will.

I'd also hazard a guess that the renewal process will again slow down in 2027/2028 when a lot of the passports currently being issued will be up for renewal (so mark your calendars folks!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Caranica wrote: »
    There's a backlog of 50,000 applications. Brexit, citizenship ceremonies, snow.. all have an impact. First time applications take considerably longer than renewals.

The standard advice is apply at least six weeks before you travel. It's been on their website for years. You can set a reminder on the dfa website so it alerts you when your passport has three months expiry left.

Perhaps the DFA could help manage expectations by not giving conflicting advice on their website and repeatedly mentioning 15 days on their turnaround times page. The second point in particular is clearly incorrect.
    - Applicants are strongly advised to apply at least six weeks ahead of intended date of travel. Travellers should check their passport validity before they book a trip.
    - If the travel date is more than three weeks (15 working days) away, then the Passport Express service operated by An Post is the most convenient and secure method of applying.
    - The Passport Express service by An Post aims to have the passport back to the applicant within 15 working days (three weeks) of posting the application, provided that the form and documentation are in order.
    - The Passport Service aims to process applications within 15 working days of receipt. However turnaround times above are a guideline only and will vary depending on the level of seasonal demand and other factors. Applicants are urged to apply well in advance of intended travel and to take care to carefully complete application forms and ensure any accompanying documents required are supplied.
    - If travelling within the next three weeks (15 working days) applicants who need to renew their passport can make an appointment at Passport Offices in Dublin and Cork. There are a limited number of appointments per day and proof of travel is required. Click here for further information.

There's no point blaming customers who go through a process once every ten years, when the information on the DFA website is wrong.
    On a side note, while the current average for Passport Express renewals is showing 20 days, 6 weeks ago (when a lot of people complaining now would have applied) it was saying 15 days

No. An Post need to stop raising peoples expectations. They quote.....

"Avoid the delays and get your new passport in 15 working days for a charge of €9.50 - plus passport fee - by calling into your nearest Post Office"

...while providing a not very conspicuous link to DFA website.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/

fdevine wrote: »
    No. An Post need to stop raising peoples expectations. They quote.....

"Avoid the delays and get your new passport in 15 working days for a charge of €9.50 - plus passport fee - by calling into your nearest Post Office"

...while providing a not very conspicuous link to DFA website.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/

A link that very clearly tells people that if they are travelling in less than 15 working days, they should book an appointment rather than apply by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

A link that very clearly tells people that if they are travelling in less than 15 working days, they should book an appointment rather than apply by post.

And also very clearly tells them that if it's more than 15 working days the best option to use is Passport Express. Which is wrong.

And also repeatedly states a 15 day turnaround for Passport Express, despite stating at the top of the page that it's currently 20 days on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭brassringclub

Hey all,

Applied for a renewal through the online system on March 8th. Today March 15th, its moved from processing to "your passport is being printed", just to give people a rough estimate of time.

Also, in anyones experience, how long between your passport "being printed" stage on the online application, to receiving it? thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sweetcake

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies folks - Yes I wish we had applied earlier of course... our circumstances didn't allow for this so we followed the advice of the Passport office themselves and made an application on a reasonably tight deadline with their approval.

We've not yelling, blaming or finger-pointing - We simply want to do what we can within reason to save the situation.

Can anyone advise around the practicalities of turning up in the Offices on Mount Street? How long might you expect to wait and if its an option to try this?

Thanks again - Appreciate your input.

I'm in the same boat but was told I would not be seen at the passport office as I already had an application in the system through passport express. The only way to get seen in person was to apply in writing to cancel the passport express application and get a letter of cancellation confirmation. Then I can start from scratch with a new application and request an appointment. My cancellation request is in a queue and will be dealt with in due course! Due to travel to Lanzarote next Thurs and its looking very unlikely we will get away at this stage. I have tried every avenue over this for the past 2 weeks and got absolutely nowhere. I hope you have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sweetcake

Mable123 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat. Travelling 24th march. Applied 20th Feb for first time passport for child. Still processing which means it hasn't even been looked at. I sent a reg. letter with proof of flights, rang and called to office. No one can help until it's assigned for checking. It's sitting there with the file getting fatter but no one is yet assigned to work the case. Will contacting T.D help? BTW it's no good assigning blame and telling people what they should or shouldnt have done. Passport express is upposed to take 10 to 15 working days. If peole have something helpful to say then great otherwise take your high horse to another discussion

Also waiting for my childs passport renewal. I have tried everything I can possibly think of including contacting 2 TD's as due to go to Lanzarote next Thurs. No luck yet and just sinking in that we may not get away and will lose the cost of our holiday.

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Applied for a renewal through the online system on March 8th. Today March 15th, its moved from processing to "your passport is being printed", just to give people a rough estimate of time.

Also, in anyones experience, how long between your passport "being printed" stage on the online application, to receiving it? thanks so much.

Depends where in the world you are. You'll get a dispatch notice with the An Post tracking number when it's sent. Takes a couple of days for dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭brassringclub

Depends where in the world you are. You'll get a dispatch notice with the An Post tracking number when it's sent. Takes a couple of days for dispatch.

Just Ireland,

was just wondering if printing definitely meant everything was sorted backend wise etc/how long generally it takes to move from printing to dispatched. thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Hey all,

Two days for the Passport Card, three for the Passport Book in my recent experiences with the Passport online renewal service.

The passport office still provide a counter service for people travelling urgently. This is guaranteed. The problem is people who should be using it are using passport express instead, and subsequently finding themselves running out of time.

Counter service is in Dublin and Cork. And a bit of a pain if you live somewhere else. I really don't get why you need separate office to apply for driving licence, social security card and passport. It's doubling up on staff, office space and procedures and completely redundant unless you are trying to keep some union happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Daughter's Passport is expired. She is 8. Can I make an Appointment in the Passport Office in Dublin to renew it at the Counter rather than using Passport Express ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    My Daughter's Passport is expired. She is 8. Can I make an Appointment in the Passport Office in Dublin to renew it at the Counter rather than using Passport Express ?

How soon are you travelling? as if it's within the next 3-4 weeks, they would probably let you visit teh office, if further out, they may advise a regular application or Passport Express

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

How soon are you travelling? as if it's within the next 3-4 weeks, they would probably let you visit teh office, if further out, they may advise a regular application or Passport Express

We are going to UK in May so about 8 weeks away.
    Are Appointments only available so specific reasons or can anyone make Appointment ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are going to UK in May so about 8 weeks away.
    Are Appointments only available so specific reasons or can anyone make Appointment ?

I'd say your best bet would be Passport Express (took 5 weeks in total for my sons replacement passport from sending the application to receiving the passport).

Trip to a Garda station & your local post office, avoid a trip into the passport office.

I'd say your best bet would be Passport Express (took 5 weeks in total for my sons replacement passport from sending the application to receiving the passport).

Trip to a Garda station & your local post office, avoid a trip into the passport office.

+1 for Pasport Express. Less hassle if you've time to spare. Our <18 renewal took five weeks also. Just get it in ASAP so you're not stressing closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Guys quick question.

I just checked my flight tickets and noticed that they say Mr for me instead of Ms. My passport says Ms. Is this something I need to change??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement