Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Sorry if this has been asked before I can’t find the answer on the dfa website. I need to renew my passport but change to my marriage name, do I include the original marriage cert or will a copy of it do? I have my old passport also

Thanks

You include your original marriage certificate https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documentary-requirements-passport-applications/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Sorry if this has been asked before I can’t find the answer on the dfa website. I need to renew my passport but change to my marriage name, do I include the original marriage cert or will a copy of it do? I have my old passport also

Thanks

What do you mean by copy? Is it a photocopy, or is it a fresh copy issued by the records office that covers the country where you were married?

For example if you don't have the original marriage cert that was issued at the time of your wedding, you could obtain a new copy from the Registrars Office, with a watermark and other security features, and that would be acceptable.

However a photocopy would not be accepted.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the terminology can be confusing and I don't want the wrong advice being given.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

cdsb46 wrote: »

Thank you I couldn’t find that page but it’s exactly what I was looking for. The page I found just said marriage certificate but didn’t specify it needed to be an original. Another €20 on top of the passport fee....wonderful

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documents-for-passport-in-marriage-name/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

fxotoole wrote: »
    What do you mean by copy? Is it a photocopy, or is it a fresh copy issued by the records office that covers the country where you were married?

For example if you don't have the original marriage cert that was issued at the time of your wedding, you could obtain a new copy from the Registrars Office, with a watermark and other security features, and that would be acceptable.

However a photocopy would not be accepted.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the terminology can be confusing and I don't want the wrong advice being given.

Photocopy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I'm sure this has been asked a million and one times so sorry for the repetition, but what's the average time for a passport renewal via an online application? I've just submitted it online and am scheduled to travel end of March (24th) so getting a bit freaked out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked a million and one times so sorry for the repetition, but what's the average time for a passport renewal via an online application? I've just submitted it online and am scheduled to travel end of March (24th) so getting a bit freaked out :eek:

can you track it? once teh application is received you should be able to track it no?

Bambi985 wrote: »

Online applications take 10 working days plus postage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I applied for an online renewal last Monday and got the new passport in the post on Thursday

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Please delete. Didn't spot the existing thread!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi all,
    Looking for some clarity!

Traveling to China end of April with the whole family. However, my daughter's passport expires in July (so need to get a new passport for her to cover the "6 months validity" for travel).

When renewing her passport, I've been getting conflicting information.

Do I need to send off her passport or does a copy do?
    Do I need to send off her birth cert also?

She was born before 2005, in Ireland, both myself and wife are Irish, born in Ireland.

Additionally, what is the turn around time for a renewal at the minute? She is travelling to the UK on the 20th of this month, so will need to wait until she is back before applying for a renewal. I then need to apply for a Chinese visa when I get that back, which is needed for end of April.

Thanks

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for some clarity!

Traveling to China end of April with the whole family. However, my daughter's passport expires in July (so need to get a new passport for her to cover the "6 months validity" for travel).

When renewing her passport, I've been getting conflicting information.

Do I need to send off her passport or does a copy do?
    Do I need to send off her birth cert also?

She was born before 2005, in Ireland, both myself and wife are Irish, born in Ireland.

Additionally, what is the turn around time for a renewal at the minute? She is travelling to the UK on the 20th of this month, so will need to wait until she is back before applying for a renewal. I then need to apply for a Chinese visa when I get that back, which is needed for end of April.

Thanks

If she is under 18 then yes you need to send her original passport, it is not mandatory to submit the birth certificate but it is advisable.

Turnaround times are listed on their website https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GRoche9319

Hi all,

So I applied for an express passport on the 18th of January, flying out on the 22nd of this month. I just checked the Passport tracked with the estimated delivery date of the 12th, but it says the passport is still processing.

Any one have any experience on how long the express normally takes?

Apologies if this has been asked already. Just starting to worry a bit with the date coming so close.

GRoche9319 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I applied for an express passport on the 18th of January, flying out on the 22nd of this month. I just checked the Passport tracked with the estimated delivery date of the 12th, but it says the passport is still processing.

Any one have any experience on how long the express normally takes?

Apologies if this has been asked already. Just starting to worry a bit with the date coming so close.

Where are you based? Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Britain, or further afield?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GRoche9319

Where are you based? Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Britain, or further afield?

I'm just based down in Kilkenny, Irish national.

I've been in touch with them via live chat, but other than keeping an eye on the tracker, they weren't able to give me much of an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

whippet wrote: »
    I applied for an online renewal last Monday and got the new passport in the post on Thursday

Pretty similar timeline to me: I applied 27th January, passport was posted on 1st February. Still waiting for it (I'm in Canada and Canada Post can be quite slow).

GRoche9319 wrote: »
    I'm just based down in Kilkenny, Irish national.

I've been in touch with them via live chat, but other than keeping an eye on the tracker, they weren't able to give me much of an update.

Current processing time for Passport Express is 16 working days so it should have been issued by now. Maybe there’s a query on it

Current processing time for Passport Express is 16 working days so it should have been issued by now. Maybe there’s a query on it

Turnaround times are based on averages and not an exact turnaround time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I live in Canada and used the online service to renew my passport. The passport was mailed on 2nd February and I haven't received it yet. I contacted An Post who said it arrived in Canada on Feb 4th. I contacted Canada Post and they can't find it in their system (they claim that incoming international registered mail cannot be tracked). I spoke to Passport Office over webchat but the only advice they could give me is to contact Canada Post. Both An Post and Canada Post say I need to contact the sender so that they can request a trace/investigation but the person I chatted to on webchat said they can't do that.

Is there anything else I can do? It's hard to contact the Passport Office, particularly as they don't seem to have a phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nubble33

I have applied for my passport renewal by passport express and checked the track and trace today which states arrival for 28th of march which is too late as I am traveling on 26th. Have I any options?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Nubble33 wrote: »
    I have applied for my passport renewal by passport express and checked the track and trace today which states arrival for 28th of march which is too late as I am traveling on 26th. Have I any options?
    and why did you go and get paper forms, paper photos, go to garda station and get all signed, then go to post office - when you could have done it in 10 minutes online ?

havent a clue what the options are, but the advice is definitely that you should have done it online and have it in as little as 2 or 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ModNote: Please keep replies in accordance to our charter i.e. helpful replies. Thanks,
    Nubble33 wrote: »

Contact the passport office you sent your details in to and explain your situation. They may be able to fast-track or assist you in some way.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi , we applied for a first issue passport for our two year old two weeks ago using passport express . Checking progress on their website it says expected issue date 20 March .

Anyone who has gone throught the process recently is the expected issue date accurate and is it liable to be brought forward as they work their way through applications.

We are due to travel on the 27th March .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Would say you will be fine. I did one in a week by dropping into office only a month ago

Only worry is slow downs due to the snow and days missed working

Talking to someone in there can be a minefield to get through phones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi , we applied for a first issue passport for our two year old two weeks ago using passport express . Checking progress on their website it says expected issue date 20 March .

Anyone who has gone throught the process recently is the expected issue date accurate and is it liable to be brought forward as they work their way through applications.

You'll be fine. My son's passport was due to be sent out on 5th and it was sent out today, so there was only one day delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

For future reference, renew online if you're eligible. Fastest way there is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Caranica wrote: »

first issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Caranica wrote: »

You can't do it for kids anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Car99 wrote: »

We submitted a renewal via Passport "Express" with a due date given as 22nd February. Been at "processing" for ages now. Cannot be relied upon IMHO. Promised 10 day turnaround is not accurate but they won't tell you that so you pay the extra regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

fdevine wrote: »
    We submitted a renewal via Passport "Express" with a due date given as 22nd February. Been at "processing" for ages now. Cannot be relied upon IMHO. Promised 10 day turnaround is not accurate but they won't tell you that so you pay the extra regardless.

You don't pay extra for passport express, it is the standard passport submission method now. And the ten day turnaround is long gone. Current passport express turnaround time is 23 working days! Online is 10 working days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement