Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Could you not just change your credit card address to your parcel motel address ?

I have my Irish credit card with a Dutch billing address for the last 6 years now.

Just an FYI, if you call your credit company you can add a second address to the account. Makes it easier when certain companies will only deliver to the credit card billing address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Im just curious but why is it 10 days for applications from the ROI and 15 from N.I? It cant be surely down to postage?

Do they do checks differently?

When a first time application is received from N.I what checks normally happen if any?

Im hoping to get mine and the girlfriends next week if all documentation is ok. If something is necessary and im just going by what I have read on Twitter does the application join the back of the queue again? Please say this isnt true. If something was needed I would jump in the car and drive down with it the next day.

By the way the Twitter account is excellent and they seem really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

damianmcr wrote: »
    Im just curious but why is it 10 days for applications from the ROI and 15 from N.I? It cant be surely down to postage?

Do they do checks differently?

When a first time application is received from N.I what checks normally happen if any?

Im hoping to get mine and the girlfriends next week if all documentation is ok. If something is necessary and im just going by what I have read on Twitter does the application join the back of the queue again? Please say this isnt true. If something was needed I would jump in the car and drive down with it the next day.

By the way the Twitter account is excellent and they seem really helpful.

There is an agreement with An Post to deliver Passport Express the next day, but as there is Royal Mail in N.I. An Post has to transfer all post over to Royal Mail which takes an extra day.

Also, for a first time application the witness is nearly always contacted. Contrary to the Gardai in the South the N.I. witnesses are not always available (holidays, out of the office, busy, etc) so it can take multiple days to get in touch to confirm details. That delays the progress of the application.

If extra documentation is required a return envelope is posted out, which upon return enters a different stream with a turn-around of approximately one week.

My friend done my passport stamp. He is a solicitor and I asked him do they ever ring him and he said they never have and that's him doing 3/4 of them a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

My friend done my passport stamp. He is a solicitor and I asked him do they ever ring him and he said they never have and that's him doing 3/4 of them a month.

Renewals or first time applicants?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Has to be renewals. Witnesses for first time applicants are always contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Guys, I'm suppose to be going to Birmingham early in the morning from Dublin with Ryanair, but just pulled out my passport to checkin online and discover that it has expired 6 days ago (3rd May)

My question is should I chance it and bring driving license as back up and see if they let me go or will they point blank refuse me as my passport out of date...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's like this, you won't get on at all with your driving licence, they only allow passport so you could try risk it, if they find out you will not get on, if they find out coming home you won't get back with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

It's like this, you won't get on at all with your driving licence, they only allow passport so you could try risk it, if they find out you will not get on, if they find out coming home you won't get back with them.

Yea I partly guessd that but just wondered did anyone have the same prob as me in recent years where their passport was out by a matter of days but still managed to get out and back into the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

NoelDoran wrote:
    Guys, I'm suppose to be going to Birmingham early in the morning from Dublin with Ryanair, but just pulled out my passport to checkin online and discover that it has expired 6 days ago (3rd May)

NoelDoran wrote:

Do they check pp going to England??
    Went to Brum countless times......
    To see herself when she studied there and on biz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they notice it you will not get aboard, not sure how good of a check they do. If it was me at this stage I would risk it but would have a Plan B getting home either by another flight with another airline or rail/bus/ferry.

Maybe he only has done renewals. Mines is lost and the girlfriend is applying for her first. What will he be asked? He's a very close mate but to be honest he'd be ****e if quizzed about me.

Applications received the day before me are at stage 3.

I'm going to guess you should be ok.

Don't state valid passport here

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-traveldocumentation/

I'd still consider your passport ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The very first item on the list is "A valid passport" so I'm not sure about that last post.

Look at it this way - your money is spent, you've nothing to lose. Turn up, give it a shot. If you get stuck over there (because they spot it on the way back) you can always get the boat & train home for something like €45.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Join the middle of the queue, you might get through if it's busy. If the plane is delayed and they rush you on, even better. Take a look at the 2 people checking, join the queue of the one that seems to glance less at it.

Maybe he only has done renewals. Mines is lost and the girlfriend is applying for her first. What will he be asked? He's a very close mate but to be honest he'd be ****e if quizzed about me.

Applications received the day before me are at stage 3.
    They're only asked if they have signed it.

Oh he's not that useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

neckedit wrote: »
    Do they check pp going to England??
    Went to Brum countless times......
    To see herself when she studied there and on biz.

Ryanair only accept passports for travel. It doesn't matter whether you are going to the UK where border control don't require Irish travelers to have a passport, or whether you are going to a country that does requires a passport. It's all the same to Ryanair. To travel with them, you must have a passport, regardless of where you are going.

OP, it's worth chancing your arm, but have back up plans in place just in case...know the ferry times, alternate flight options with other airlines, that kind of stuff. I have flown with Ryanair loads of times and the passport inspections have varied widely from a bare glance, that wasn't even long enough to verify that I was the person in the photo, to a detailed inspection, where you could tell that they were checking everything...names, dates, photo, expiration dates etc etc. Give it a lash, but don't be surprised if you have to fall back on a Plan B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You have to put in your passport details for online check-in so of course it will be rejected unless you lie and make a false declaration.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Guys do you have to sign for the passport when it's delivered? I'm in an apartment block and not sure if an post would even try and ring the buzzer, we have mailboxes down at the building entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

my passport is valid but badly cracked and damaged. Do I need my birth cert to get a replacement?

Guys do you have to sign for the passport when it's delivered? I'm in an apartment block and not sure if an post would even try and ring the buzzer, we have mailboxes down at the building entrance.
    Comes in the post the same as any other letter.
    Dubhlinner wrote: »
    my passport is valid but badly cracked and damaged. Do I need my birth cert to get a replacement?

Birth cert and damaged passport will be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 dubby1978

Comes in the post the same as any other letter.

Wait.. the passports are delivered by standard untracked post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Got my passport today. :D

They received my application on the 29th Apr. So 10/11 working days.

One less thing to worry about!

They received mine on the 28/04 and no progress yet. The previous is reported as lost though. Must be different teams dealing with them. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

They received mine on the 28/04 and no progress yet. The previous is reported as lost though. Must be different teams dealing with them. Pity.

You're more looking at 20 working days when your passport has been lost. It's treated like a first time application again.

• Advertisement

What happens with the first time applications? How do they determine entitle when they have birth certificate and driving licence with letters? Just phone the person who signed the photos?

Now you have me a bit worried tbf. My target date is the 19/05 and I travel on the 02/06.

Any of you fine fellas bump two up the queue? ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement