Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Where did they get that information? That's completely off the wall. Don't bother with any of the other witnesses listed for section 7 (consent if under 18). Just go straight to the guards (you'll have to go to them anyway) and they'll do sections 7, 8 and 9 for you.

I did think it sounded odd. Thanks so much for your help.

Thank You. I know we both sign the form but I had heard from a neighbour that the Garda won't witness the forms or photos any more.

Its a job they dont like doing but they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

etymon wrote: »
    Did this work in the end Berberis? Just did the same but only paid deposit. No confirmation email only confirmation screen so far.

Yep it worked a treat.
    Can't remember how soon I got the email confirmation, but am nearly sure it was straight away or very soon after purchasing.
    We paid the whole amount upon booking and then got an email around 6 weeks before the holiday with our e-tickets and how and when we could check in online and also offers to select seats if we wanted to pay extra.
    Did also get an email informing us that one of our flights was leaving an hour later than originally planned.
    other than that everything went very smooth. Still get emails from them with offers but they all seem a lot more expensive than the deal we got last year.
    Did you use the NI postcode when filling in your address for your credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Its a job they dont like doing but they have to.

It's a job that the Garda Shiocacana demanded as their job and theirs alone. Back in the late 80's early 90's, there was a longer list of people of moral integrity (or whatever was the term they used). My GP signed my first application as an adult, Parish priests signed for some of my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I used the code you recommended and didn't ask for post code for credit card (think I hit 'same as above' or something)
    Money went through and was taken from account according to bank. Have a confirmation page I printed at time of booking. No email yet. I dropped them a line and said can you send on my confirmation again (the auto reply said current times to reply to emails is 8 days!!). Anyway I will be interested to see if it works. There is a 1000GBP saving on identical holidays with Irish quotes !
    If it doesn't my brother is in UK so can rebook via him.
    To be honest don't see why they'd care either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Name me any card in your wallet or purse right now that'll last 2 years never mind 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

ken wrote: »
    Name me any card in your wallet or purse right now that'll last 2 years never mind 5.

Driving license. Library card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OP makes an excellent point, my drivers licence is valid until I die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sorry I should have made my point more clear. Saturday morning foggy brain syndrome.
    My point is cards are so flimsy now they barely last. I've seen people who only have the new licences 18 months and they're starting to crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Travel as it's not a consumer issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Sorry I should have made my point more clear. Saturday morning foggy brain syndrome.
    My point is cards are so flimsy now they barely last. I've seen people who only have the new licences 18 months and they're starting to crack.
    The issue that I was highlighting is not the quality of the new card or how long they would physically remain intact, but instead their expiry date & how consumers are effectively being forced to pay twice for something that is linked to & based upon an existing document with a 10 year validity.

The issue that I was highlighting is not the quality of the new card or how long they would physically remain intact, but instead their expiry date & how consumers are effectively being forced to pay twice for something that is linked to & based upon an existing document with a 10 year validity.

Yeah. It's not a valid reason. Cards can be made that last more than 10 years. If the depts that manage this can't do this then they should have a replacement policy and can replace them for free if the card falls apart.

I've had ATM cards that have lasted over 10 years and they got a lot more use than my passport ever would.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jester77 wrote: »
    OP makes an excellent point, my drivers licence is valid until I die.

Where?

UK valid to death licences still have a 10 year expiry on the photocard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Absolutely NO-ONE is being FORCED in any way.

This is a totally optional extra. You don't like it - don't get it.

it is that simple.

Why people whine and moan about a totally optional option is beyond me.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Absolutely NO-ONE is being FORCED in any way.

This is a totally optional extra. You don't like it - don't get it.

it is that simple.

Why people whine and moan about a totally optional option is beyond me.
    Firstly, you seem to have completely ignored this paragraph in my post :
    I realise that there is no requirement for a card at all & that it's purpose is as a backup to the passport book, but despite that I feel that anyone who does want one is being short-changed & will also be put to unnecessary & unfair bother in terms of renewal & cost, plus potentially making double the work & time of staff responsible for issuing the cards, resulting in a needless waste of taxpayers money.

I'm fully aware that the card is optional. Apart from your good self I don't see anyone whining or moaning on this thread.

Why people whine and moan about something being highlighted is beyond me - if it doesn't affect you or potentially affect you in the future it's quite simple to ignore, or better still suggest a realistic solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

L1011 wrote: »
    Where?

UK valid to death licences still have a 10 year expiry on the photocard

Properly still has the old type uk licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

My second issue is that of the requirement to already hold a valid passport book in the first place. I feel that the passport card should be an alternative to a passport book or as a more affordable form of book passport renewal (similar to the USA passport cards valid for travel to/from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda).The downside, of course is that it's not valid for international travel. I understand that there may be underlying concerns as regards security/identity issues, but I can't see why there should be considering the advances in facial recognition software presently in place & being used by DSP with the issue of the new Public Services Cards.

I'd guess that the wallet-sized passport cards are more susceptible to being lost or stolen than the passport books. What they probably want to avoid is more people being stuck abroad or needing a new card before travelling because their card got lost or stolen.

I'd guess that the wallet-sized passport cards are more susceptible to being lost or stolen than the passport books. What they probably want to avoid is more people being stuck abroad or needing a new card before travelling because their card got lost or stolen.
    Possibly, but that still doesn't change the fact that people can only get one with a 5 year validity despite their passport book having a validity of 10 years.

In fact, according to minister Brennan ''The new card will also provide a useful backup travel document within Europe in the event that someone loses their passport while travelling.''

and, from http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/new-passport-card-for-travel-in-eu-arriving-early-in-2015-1.2045735

''For young people in particular, who are often required to bring their passport book out as proof of age, I am confident that this new card will be a safer, more practical option and I look forward to introducing it in the near future”.

I'd say that that the likelihood of losing an actual passport book is greater than that of losing a card, simply beacuse of the bulk & size of the passport book added to people being less careful in pubs & clubs after having a drink or two, or three...

Im starting to think that the confirmation email did take a couple of days or maybe only 1 day. Sorry I can't be more definite.
    There is a bank holiday over in UK this weekend so that might delay things also

Lots of EU countries have had these cards for years. The Polish one's i have seen are very durable, more so than our drivers licenses. I'll get one myself as it just fits in the wallet and no need for carrying around the passport all the time. Very hand for travelling within the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

It just arrived! Hurrah! love me bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

''For young people in particular, who are often required to bring their passport book out as proof of age, I am confident that this new card will be a safer, more practical option and I look forward to introducing it in the near future”.

I'd say that that the likelihood of losing an actual passport book is greater than that of losing a card, simply beacuse of the bulk & size of the passport book added to people being less careful in pubs & clubs after having a drink or two, or three...

But I think once someone has the card, they'll keep it in their wallet as habit, rather than taking their passport book instead. Which is why I think after their introduction and adoption, the cards are more likely to be lost/stolen than the books, hence their limited life span.

When I get one, I'll probably keep my passport card in my wallet and leave my book safe at home. I live in Berlin so I'm keen to find out if I can use it as a form of identification instead of my passport book.

Ah great stuff

But I think once someone has the card, they'll keep it in their wallet as habit, rather than taking their passport book instead. Which is why I think after their introduction and adoption, the cards are more likely to be lost/stolen than the books, hence their limited life span.

When I get one, I'll probably keep my passport card in my wallet and leave my book safe at home. I live in Berlin so I'm keen to find out if I can use it as a form of identification instead of my passport book.

It is an accepted form of identification as is a passport book. The card has all the same security features as the passport book.

Worth a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_Area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Is there any issue with a passport expiring at the end of May for an Ireland - UK return journey over 4 days next week?
    Someone mentioned to me that for some journeys (I assume to non EU countries) that the passport must have x number of months left on it after your departure date....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

you will be fine in europe right up to the expiry date

Agricola wrote: »
    Is there any issue with a passport expiring at the end of May for an Ireland - UK return journey over 4 days next week?
    Someone mentioned to me that for some journeys (I assume to non EU countries) that the passport must have x number of months left on it after your departure date....?

You don't even need a passport for the UK. Photo ID is good enough. Some airlines insist that its the ID you use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

That's cutting it close, I submitted mine on 29/04, and have a target date of 20/05.
    Do you know the reason for nearly a month wait?

The current times given for the week of the 29th April is 10 days for new passports and even less for renewal?

I'll get my application in ASAP in case of delays similar to yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you know the reason for nearly a month wait?

The current times given for the week of the 29th April is 10 days for new passports and even less for renewal?

I'll get my application in ASAP in case of delays similar to yours.

they're probably just covering themselves. Assuming my application isn't rejected then I'd assume I'll get it well before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Mine came today after exactly 15 working days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement