Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I signed my life away for the sake of city centre apt.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The silly bint.
    She made a number of mistakes..she bought an apartment instead of a house...never gonna be a good investment or suitable for children,beset by management fees and all sorts of nonsense to say nothing of the fact that apartment "purchases" are actually just leasehold interests..you NEVER own an apartment.

She bought it with a view to "trading up" and moving to a house
    She borrowed FAR more money than she could afford because she assumed that property would continue to rise in value and she would have "equity".
    She took a 40 year mortage,meaning she would be in her 70's by the time its paid off.
    She fell for the whole docklands,cafe latte lifestyle bullshiit that her own poxy paper were pitching at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

She needs to blow it up or fake her death to cover her ass on this one!

Times like this I'm glad my wallet contains more sense than money......................................wait a minute..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

what a bunch of told you so ***** irish people are turning into

You're new to boards, research all property related posts since 2006 before spouting such crap ;)

I live around the corner from her (renting of course :D), if she had read boards with a bit of research I could of advised her at the time over a posh latte not to buy. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Degsy wrote: »
    The silly bint.
    She made a number of mistakes..she bought an apartment instead of a house...never gonna be a good investment or suitable for children

Tell that to the hundreds of millions of perfectly good citizens who grew up in apartments in France, Germany, Austria, Spain. It's only in Ireland/UK where we have a hard on for houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

gurramok wrote: »
    You're new to boards, research all property related posts since 2006 before spouting such crap ;)

I live around the corner from her (renting of course :D), if she had read boards with a bit of research I could of advised her at the time over a posh latte not to buy. ;)
    research all property posts wtf is that all about are these posts the pulse of the property market in ireland you fool

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Tell that to the hundreds of millions of perfectly good citizens who grew up in apartments in France, Germany, Austria, Spain. It's only in Ireland/UK where we have a hard on for houses.

The difference being that apartments in europe are usually better built,larger and a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The silly bint.
    She made a number of mistakes..she bought an apartment instead of a house...never gonna be a good investment or suitable for children,beset by management fees and all sorts of nonsense to say nothing of the fact that apartment "purchases" are actually just leasehold interests..you NEVER own an apartment.

Amen.
    She bought it with a view to "trading up" and moving to a house
    She borrowed FAR more money than she could afford because she assumed that property would continue to rise in value and she would have "equity".
    She took a 40 year mortage,meaning she would be in her 70's by the time its paid off.
    She fell for the whole docklands,cafe latte lifestyle bullshiit that her own poxy paper were pitching at people.

Again, amen. It's almost as if people were buying property and living according to FRIENDS and SATC! Lattes, posh (expensive) apartments :D:pac:

I guess dubs like me and you don't buy into such BS degsy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

research all property posts wtf is that all about are these posts the pulse of the property market in ireland you fool

Ah saltandpepper we hardly knew you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The difference being that apartments in europe are usually better built,larger and a lot cheaper.

Whereas Ireland was suckered into thinking that we should pay half a million euros for 2 bedrooms!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There is an Accommodation forum you know where all aspects of property including their wonderful prices have been debated to death since the foundation of boards itself.

Read up before criticising others as 'told you so *****'

• Advertisement

cheaper yes, but the new apts here are generally quite nice, all the ones in Germany I've been in have been quite modest.

discus wrote: »
    Whereas Ireland was suckered into thinking that we should pay half a million euros for 2 bedrooms!!

Anybody who fell for that line wants thier head examined.
    There were terribly built,two bed apartments in Tyrrelstown and ongar for the same price you could get a three bedroom semi in Glasnevin...

discus wrote: »
    Amen.

Again, amen. It's almost as if people were buying property and living according to FRIENDS and SATC! Lattes, posh (expensive) apartments :D:pac:

I guess dubs like me and you don't buy into such BS degsy :)

so "real dubs" say apartments are a waste of money? God, I'd expect this on the Adrian Kennedy phone show, but boards??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Oh yeh, i consult Boards.ie for all lifes decisions, doesnt everyone...

cheaper yes, but the new apts here are generally quite nice, all the ones in Germany I've been in have been quite modest.

Maybe at the top end of the market but the basic 'starter' one and two bedroom apartments are nothing but shoeboxes.
    There are plenty of apartments smaller than 48m2 and they will NEVER be re-sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Aussie wrote: »
    Oh yeh, i consult Boards.ie for all lifes decisions, doesnt everyone...

Yup.

In a particularly epic PI thread a few years back I did decide to divorce my wife.

Thank you once again boards for saving my bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

so "real dubs" say apartments are a waste of money? God, I'd expect this on the Adrian Kennedy phone show, but boards??

Plenty of people, many "true dubs" have been born and reared in apartments in Dublin. The only difference is the used to call them flats back then.

There is no reason a family couldn't be brought up in one if it was big enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If you were Mr. T I'd let you away ith calling someone a fool.

But you're not.

Get some nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

In fairness, I feel bad for the girl. Someone else mentioned, at least she is going to take the punishment. Look at those developers who are getting bailed out and blowing big money on holidays, etc. The girl did write about it. How many people are going through the same thing and keeping it quite. I guarantee a lot of your neighbours/colleagues are probably in the same position. So what, she made a mistake. Give the girl a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

RubyBlu wrote: »
    In fairness, I feel bad for the girl. Someone else mentioned, at least she is going to take the punishment. Look at those developers who are getting bailed out and blowing big money on holidays, etc. The girl did write about it. How many people are going through the same thing and keeping it quite. I guarantee a lot of your neighbours/colleagues are probably in the same position. So what, she made a mistake. Give the girl a break.

I have tried this tack. They are ruthless property experts here though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I have tried this tack. They are ruthless property experts here though.

Indeed they are. If in doubt go look at the property threads - use the search function. I have lurked for a long time and I know what is going on, you have come to a forum where people who have posted on this thread have been posting for years facts, statistics, links to economists and other resources - all pointing out that the property market was overvalued and would possibly fall by up to 50%, as happened. As far back as 2005.

understandly the people who have posted such stuff have little tolerance of newcomers who dont have the curtest to learn the ropes.

So. Go. Look. It. Up.
    The reason I asked did anyone know how much the apartment would be worth in 28 years time is that the only time I ever worried about the price of property was when I was selling it.

Wrong. You have to worry about the drops after you buy it. She has lost, by her own reckoning, 200K plus interest over her lifetime ( and was honest enough to mention that). So thats 400K over the loan.

Thats immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

just read the article there, while she describes her own personal situation it reflects what a lot of people are dealing with at the moment. at the end of the day the irish independent is the most popular widely read newspaper in Ireland for a reason so the article is quite relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have two words for this lady: strategic default. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

bnt wrote: »
    I have two words for this lady: strategic default. :cool:

You just try that in this country........... we aren't in the US. No Jingle Mail here.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

That is one thing the US does right. It can keep the banks honest too.

Pittens wrote: »
    That is one thing the US does right. It can keep the banks honest too.

It did work as an active deterrent to over leading by the US banks, until securitisation became popular and moved the risk to investors in derivatives. I can't see it ever being introduced here though. However Irelands Bankruptcy laws are well over due for an update.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

there will be people murdered yet over such property price corruption

there will be people murdered yet over such property price corruption

Although not entirely the same, it made me think of this story.....

29 property suicides leave State unmoved

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

There are thousands of people in Dublin paying 600-700 a month to SHARE houses and apartments, who have no other feasable choice but to. I've far more sympathy for them, or people who bought miles out because they were being crippled by equally high rents (and still would be incidentally) than I do for people who made very poor decisions for pseudo trophy properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055846951

Poor cat taught so :pac:.
    After about 3 months she started showing me that she wanted to jump out of the window.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement